Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Now what is wrong with Sasha!?

pbpatti
April 9th, 2011, 06:42 PM
My girl has me growing more grey hair on my head. Sasha has been "different", "out of sorts" lately and I so we went to see our favorite doggy Dr, Dr Daryl.

So Sasha's symptoms: kinda lethargic, not drinking as much water as usual,she has lost 2 pounds, hesitant to jump on the bed, she will let me lift her off the bed if I am nearby (normally she is NO leave me, I jump) to put her down. She appears to be in some pain but I am unable to figure out where, she has twitchy skin on her back and sides of abdomin.

Dr Daryl does some palpating and Sasha has pain in her stomach area, he thinks it may be Pancreatitus, Sasha left a blood donation and some urine....now we get to wait until Monday for the results.

Dr. is not too concerned, yet,.....so if it is Pancreatitus what do I have to look forward to, I read that they will fast the dog and provide IV fluids only for 2 to 3 days. If anyone has any information they can give me or advice please give it to me.

On a funny note, the Vet Tech was telling me about the Clinic getting a report from the Emerg Clinic about a Lab and a Foreign object...she asked her co-workers who they thought the patient was.....it was unanimous...SASHA!!!:p Nope not this time:goodvibes: patti

Brandon W
April 9th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Maybe just joint and arthritis pain ?! sounds kinda like that.

pbpatti
April 9th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Hi Brandon, thanks for the reply...she does have stomach pain, she was very uncomfortable when Dr D pressed her stomach area. So although arthrtis is a good diagnosis I do not think it is that. Do you know anything about Pancreatitis? patti

Brandon W
April 9th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Hi Brandon, thanks for the reply...she does have stomach pain, she was very uncomfortable when Dr D pressed her stomach area. So although arthrtis is a good diagnosis I do not think it is that. Do you know anything about Pancreatitis? patti

Not really havent had an issue with my dogs relating to that. The only other thing i can think about is being constapaited(sp). My lab had some of those signs. Sore stomach,wont jump or isnt attentive. Other then that id keep on it with my vet like you are. If he isnt too worried right away then thats a good sign that its something that is not going to "damage" your dog. Hows the stool ?

pbpatti
April 9th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I hate to say this but I THINK her stool is good, since I now have 2 dogs and did not do 100% of the pooh pick-up over the winter I really am not positive. I know Buddy's stool but not too sure about Sasha. I am going to have to follow her outside for the next couple of days to make sure she is ok. patti

breeze
April 9th, 2011, 07:46 PM
hey patti

:grouphug:

I had a friend who had a dog with Pancreatitus her stool was never really formed, she was also on special food with a powder that was given every time she ate. she was not allowed any treats just her special food.

she would have a sensitive tummy but not always, she never had problems jumping on the bed or in your lap for snuggles,:cloud9: ( she is a karen terrier)

it is manageable with the proper food and this powder(can't remember what it was called sorry :(

pbpatti
April 9th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks Breeze, I am just hoping that it is nothing really serious. I hate this waiting game, trying not to worry as I wait. patti

breeze
April 9th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Thanks Breeze, I am just hoping that it is nothing really serious. I hate this waiting game, trying not to worry as I wait. patti

:grouphug: I understand the waiting is hard. :grouphug: I hope it's nothing serious either :fingerscr:goodvibes: for Sasha

maybe it's just a bit of constipation :shrug: maybe just watch her poop and see if it's normal??

Brandon W
April 9th, 2011, 08:26 PM

well if the dr is not concerned yet you shouldnt be either,you should just keep an eye on her and maybe not worry so much untill it is known whats wrong. But if doc says he is not worried its a gooood sign.

reanne
April 10th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Pancreatits usually means no fatty foods, absolutely NO table scraps, etc. Can be extremely painful. I always thought pancreatitis was emergent, but maybe not?
As mentioned, I would monitor stools. Monitoring stools on a regular basis is really important for a lot of reasons.
Good luck and hope she's okay!

hazelrunpack
April 10th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I hate waiting, too, pbp! :grouphug:

:fingerscr and :goodvibes: for a good results and a quick recovery for the lovely Sasha!

chico2
April 10th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Oh Sasha,I hope it's only constipation,probably easily managed,or another foreign object:pray:

Goldfields
April 10th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Patti, there's nothing worse than not knowing what is wrong with a much loved pet, is there? I know that sometimes, even when a diagnosis is bad, it is still a relief just to KNOW. Not long to wait now. Good luck with her.

pbpatti
April 10th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Soooo, one good thing here, Sasha's poops are good she is not constipated nor does she have runny poo's, pretty normal stuff there. Sasha does not get any table scraps, I try very hard to give both dogs healthy food only. Sasha is eating Eagle Pack Holistic....I had a horrible thought that maybe there is something wrong with her food :eek: has anyone heard of any recalls with Eagle Pack?

Thank you all for your good wishes, Sasha sends wet mushy kisses to all. OMG Chico please no more foreign objects!!!!! She has had two stomach surgerys for this already.

HMMMMM, can the surgerys have something to do with the Pancreatitis? Maybe weakened the????stomach, duedenal or whatever. I am medically challenged so just throwing out thoughts. patti

pbpatti
April 10th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Patti, there's nothing worse than not knowing what is wrong with a much loved pet, is there? I know that sometimes, even when a diagnosis is bad, it is still a relief just to KNOW. Not long to wait now. Good luck with her.

Thank you Goldfields, waiting is the worst. patti

Winston
April 10th, 2011, 10:56 AM
PBpatti my boy sends a big slobbery kiss to Sasha! Do you think she could just be having a few off days? Winston has been like that a few times since he is getting older? I hope the tests come back good! your in our thoughts!

I hate waiting too!! :thumbs up

Dee-O-Gee
April 10th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Nothing like "hurry up and wait" :frustrated:

Hope the results come back positively....negative and little Sasha will be on the mend. :highfive:

rainbow
April 10th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Just want to send some :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: your way for you and Sasha .......hope you get favourable results tomorrow. :grouphug:

pbpatti
April 10th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the well wishes, I am trying to stay positive.:pray: dontcha just hate the wait? :fingerscr:pray:, until tomorrow. patti

breeze
April 11th, 2011, 03:34 PM
:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

any news patti??
did you get the results yet??

:goodvibes::fingerscr:goodvibes:

pbpatti
April 11th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Well...we got the reports back and Sasha has an elevated ALT Enzyme in her Liver. The normal is 5 - 60 and she is at 124. Nothing serious to worry about...yet. She is getting Sulcrate for the next three days to coat her GI tract and help her tummy to hopefully settle down. If this continues to be this high or higher then we will need to do further testing. Vet thinks that maybe she ingested something she should not have but I have not seen her eat anything that she should not have eaten. I will keep my eye on her and make her rest for a few days and hopefully things will heal up on their own. Below is what I found on a site on the internet about the ALT.
patti

ALT (alanine aminotransferase) or SGPT (serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase) is a liver specific enzyme. It is concentrated in the cytosol and is released when localized liver cells die from infection or due to the interruption of blood supply. Serum levels increase two to three days after the liver has been affected and return to normal after a couple of weeks of treatment. Generally, two to three times the normal level is considered insignificant and only a persistent increase is considered to be abnormal. ALT levels may go up four to five times the normal level even in non-hepatic disorders like inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract, hemolytic anemia, and heart failure. Dogs undergoing treatment with anticonvulsants and glucosteroids, or those that have an inhibited flow of bile may also show a moderate increase in ALT levels

hazelrunpack
April 11th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I hope she's just having intestinal upset and that's what's raising the ALT level! :fingerscr It is spring--time for the spring tummy upsets. We always dread having the snow melt--so much 'good' stuff to get into... Dead grass, sticks, rotten acorns, birdseed... :rolleyes:

Hope Sasha's better soon so you can stop worrying about your girl!! :goodvibes:

breeze
April 11th, 2011, 08:20 PM
I will send some :goodvibes::goodvibes: for Sasha

and some :grouphug: for you..

I have no idea what ALT level are but maybe someone that knows could help you out..

pbpatti
April 11th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Thank you Hazel, I am hoping for the same thing, just an upset tummy and all will be better very fast. patti

breeze
April 20th, 2011, 09:20 AM
hey patti we need an update on Sasha please

is Sasha better?? is she back to her usual self ??

:goodvibes::fingerscr