Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Backyard breeding?

maryevaoh
April 7th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I believe my 4 month old pup, Koru, came from what would be considered a backyard breeder. The person happily disclosed the information I asked of him, willingly informing me that the great-grandmother on the dam's side was part malamute, and had a tiny bit of GSD in her, which didn't put me off in the slightest. What I was after was an honest breeder, who did not sell on spay/neuter contract (I know the reason for doing this, but I want my dog to be mine after I walk out that door, I'd feel like I was only borrowing him on those kinds of contracts), and I wanted to be shown that the breeder was not only interested in dogs for profit or show. I was told they breed the dogs for new members for their sled team, and when I went to pick out a pup, the guy there pointed out which ones were already spoken for, including one that looked much like mine except with bi-colored eyes, who he said he had promised to the lady of the house. There were sleds in the yard, and the dogs looked healthy and acted friendly. The mother and pups were kept in a cage beside and in visibility range to the adult dog's cage, and the mother was really friendly (licking me and being overall sweet. The family also had kids who played with all the dogs regularily, which to me, was an important socialization factor.
He told me a bit about his dogs, pointed out two that were rescued, and was generally pleasant and didn't seem like he was hiding anything from me. The only thing that really struck me was that he sold me Koru at way too young of an age (7 weeks). I was overly excited before going to pick up the pup (hey, I had been waiting for two years to get my husky, my first dog :P), so I didn't think to ask him to wait a couple weeks. I regret this now, and know it was irresponsible, as it has made bite inhibition a bit difficult to train, but I was worried this would be another missed puppy opportunity, and luckilly for me, training him hasn't really been an issue for me.

Now, as far as my experience with CKC registered siberian breeders in my area goes... There are only about three of them around, one of which is my step-grandfather's sister, and all their pups are sold on contracts, they put things like "our dogs living with other people" on their websites in reference to the pups they sell, and overall, it feels like you're only looking after this person's name by owning a dog from their kennel. Not only that, but I simply wasn't finding any male pups with the look I was after for two seasons from these breeders, and I didn't want a pup that came from inbreeding, which is practiced by all the registered breeders near me.

Personally, I've always thought that widening the gene pool in a species is almost always a good thing, and that dogs from different backgrounds (and oftentimes, different breeds) live longer, healthier lives. I totally agree that not just any dog should be bred, especially when it will produce generic mixed breed pups that could just as easily be found at a shelter. There's no need to add to an already overpopulated animal shelter system. I looked into adopting, but living in a relatively small area, doing a year's worth of research, I found not a single husky pup under 6 months old, and as a first-time dog owner, there was no way I could take on a training project like that.

So... there's my lousy rant of the day. :D What are your thoughts on the matter?

BTW, here's pictures of Koru's parents, to get an idea of what he was coming from:
http://i54.tinypic.com/vxdt6u.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/2eeg95u.jpg

Shaykeija
April 7th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Just made me think of all those sled dogs that were shot and their throats slit......

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76289

maryevaoh
April 7th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Argh, reading the paper the morning that was published made me cry... :( The breeder I got my pup from sleds for personal leisure, though, not as a business. He has only about a team's worth of dogs.

Shaykeija
April 7th, 2011, 10:17 PM
:(Yes, I think that made a lot of people cry. The howls of rage at this senseless destruction of these dogs, can still be heard.

maryevaoh
April 7th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Oh god. The newspaper didn't publish these details... I don't even know if I can sleep tonight after reading one paragraph here. :( I hate what he did, and I can't understand it, he should have just left this company... but I feel like this guy probably went part insane as he did these things he was told to do. I hate what people do for profit to these beautiful dogs... Dog sledding should not be done on such a large scale that things like this ever have to happen.
I have pretty bad paranoia when it comes to losing my pets, to the point that I have mild panic attack inducing dreams/visions about losing my pets. When I first read about all this, it really hit home with me because the only dogs I've really owned and loved have all been huskies.

Shaykeija
April 7th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Yes I can understand your pain. There are a lot of rescue people here that see this kind of horror on a regular basis. BYB's, hobby breeders and puppy mill people are while somewhat tolerated here, are extremely disliked. As a rescue person, I can say, I really do not like any breeding that is only to make you money. That is MHO and :2cents: worth.

mummummum
April 7th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Well, since your asking...and thanks for asking btw...I do have a few thoughts.

What I was after was an honest breeder,.... the breeder was not only interested in dogs for profit or show....

....I was told they breed the dogs for new members for their sled team, and when I went to pick out a pup, the guy there pointed out which ones were already spoken for...

If they breed for new members of their sled team (and not for profit as per your earlier concern), this begs the question, why are they selling any, let alone so many, puppies to the general public? That doesn't sound like an "honest breeder" to me at all. It sounds like a puppy mill.

What I was after was an honest breeder, who did not sell on spay/neuter contract ... and I wanted to be shown that the breeder was not only interested in dogs for profit or show

I have a completely different take on this than do you. I won't use the word "honest" as I don't see it as applicable here but the words responsible and ethical do come to mind.

To me, a responsible breeder protects their bloodlines. It is a business after all and their reputation and profits depend upon having "good stock". If someone who has purchased from their lines and goes on to breed that animal, they can foul the line in any number of ways and still claim lineage. This has potential to damage the original breeder's reputation for producing good stock and will most certainly mean a loss of profit margin down the road as buyers fall away. After all, now you've not only got two "breeders" producing twice the number of puppies which means more competition for that almighty dollar, you've also got one producing "bad stock", one who will likely sell their puppies at a discount. Secondly, a "responsible breeder" protects their lines because they are protecting the integrity of their breed. "X-Doodles" are alright for a lark :rolleyes:but they are after all mutts. Thirdly, "a responsible breeder" IS interested in the breed and is (well, on can live in hope I suppose) saddened by the millions of animals euthanized yearly because of over-population. A breeder who protects their lines by insisting on speutering contracts IS acting responsibly in my books.

What I was after was an honest breeder, who did not sell on spay/neuter contract (I know the reason for doing this, but I want my dog to be mine after I walk out that door, I'd feel like I was only borrowing him on those kinds of contracts)

I admit I'm a little baffled by your concern that you might have to forfeit your dog should you fail to speuter. Obviously Koru will not by registerd or shown so remaining inatct isn't necessary. If one is a responsible owner/ guardian then speutering is really the only option unless one intends to become a puppy mill themselves.

This brings us back round to "honest breeder". I'll use the term ethical here, an ethical breeder would not sell a dog to that fate. An "ethical breeder" would be concerned about over-population and needless deaths. An "ethical breeder" would also be concerned about the myriad health and life-threatening medical problems that can result from leaving dogs intact.

As for selling and buying a puppy at seven weeks of age...see all of the above.

As for selling mutts period, also see all of the above. I realize you believe that widening the gene pool is a good thing. But is it really? Over-breeding within breeds and breeding with "bad stock" has resulted in so many of the debilitating illnesses and health problems we see today. Almost all of which have crept into the lives of our mutts. A "responsible breeder" put their stock through a battery of health tests BEFORE breeding to ensure the integrity of the line and the health of the breed. A puppy mill does not.

What is most regrettable, and I sense that you understand this, is that by continuing to buy dogs from puppy mills, well-meaning people like you, who are eager to become dog owners and guardians, have actually become part of a vicious and pervasive problem.

With that said, from my perspective, (and yes, I know the logistics of impossibility are stratospheric) I would like to see a timed moratorium on ALL breeding. The rescues are full, the shelters are overflowing, the numbers of needlessly euthanized animals is jaw-dropping and the planet is suffering because of our insistence that animals are here for our "use". Something has got to give.

marko
April 8th, 2011, 08:15 AM
My last cat (born in 1993, just passed last year) came from a hobby breeder as I learned after he was given to me as a gift. It was before I got educated on what a horrible horrible problem backyard breeding is. So I will not repeat this mistake again.

It sounds like you too are becoming more aware of breeding problems which is good.

Melinda
April 8th, 2011, 08:48 AM
My latest dog, Brina, lab/shep is from a byb who thought to make a whack load of money, his ad said $250. per dog, I emailed thinking it was a mistake and he meant $25. for a "oop's" litter, he blasted me in an email talking about how he's in it to make money, his first "great" litter from two wonderful dogs..............yeah ok, I didn't bother responding, two weeks later I received another email asking if I still wanted one to come get any I wanted, landlord found out and wanted the pups gone, he was taking them to the spca but didn't want to pay the 10 dollar per pup for surrender donation, I contacted friends and other rescues, took a pup for myself, found homes/spots for the other 7. I tried buying the parents but to no avail.....so he`s probably somewhere else now trying his hand at breeding.

BenMax
April 8th, 2011, 09:07 AM
It's difficult to look at that picture.
I have nothing to add except excellent post MX3. You said it all.

Gail P
April 8th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Hmmm...I have a couple of things to add...given the nature of this board I hope I can explain it in a way that makes some kind of sense and doesn't start trouble. That is not my intent at all. For the record, I am very pro spay/neuter myself...all my dogs are done and lots of them have been rescue/shelter adoptions. Notwithstanding that...I am not totally anti-breeding either, if done for the "right" purposes

If they breed for new members of their sled team (and not for profit as per your earlier concern), this begs the question, why are they selling any, let alone so many, puppies to the general public?

I'll try to answer that. It is true that some mushers do produce litters, yes for the purpose of having up and coming team members available. There are also many mushers who advocate spaying and neutering and buying a good dog with a proven performance record from a top musher's kennel over trying to breed one for yourself because of all that goes into trying to produce that perfect sled dog...the time/money spent, the chances of getting exactly the dog(s) you want from the litter and because of having to try to find homes for the others. Not every pup born in a litter is going to "make the team". In general, sled dogs puppies are intended to become sled dogs, not go to pet homes and the mushers who are breeding them are normally not pumping out puppies for the pet market. (I'm not going to argue that there are never any "bad apples" in it, we all know that's not true). Depending on the musher (recreational or competitive) the type of racing they do, and in what area (far north in bitter climate or further south where it's more moderate) they are looking for very specific traits...good conformation and movement, good eaters, good coats, good feet, good attitude, good drive and so much more. Dogs that can take the cold and push through deep snow, or maybe dogs that don't overheat easily when running the shorter faster races...there are a lot of considerations. Some of those traits can be evaluated at a young age and some pups might not make the cut right off the bat, so they become available...either to another musher who's program they might better suit, or as a pet. Some traits need to be evaluated as the pups grow and develop and begin training. Most "good" mushers who do breed have a very specific breeding program in place and can trace the lineage of their dogs back for many generations. The top mushers...the "cream of the crop" in terms of big-time race winners, do usually have a breeding program and puppies available as a part of their business because there is a demand for their dogs by other less established mushers. ETA: just wanted to add...I guarantee you that even the mushers with this kind of breeding program are not earning a profit from the sale of their puppies. The money they make off puppy sales goes directly back into their kennels, to the care of their other dogs...vetting, feeding (all racing dogs but distance dogs in particular have HUGE caloric requirements of high quality kibble, meat and fat). The dogs cannot be top-quality athletes without top quality care and the mushers know this.

The thing that will be difficult to swallow for those involved with rescue...almost all of the best sled dogs produced are "mutts". They are not of a registered breed, they are a "type" and are called Alaskan Huskies. A type whose lineages can be tracked for generations...a type bred with the specific goal of athletic ability and performance. Personally, I view that in a a very different light than the byb of mutts who breed anything to anything just to make a few bucks.

With that said, from my perspective, (and yes, I know the logistics of impossibility are stratospheric) I would like to see a timed moratorium on ALL breeding.
For pets maybe, but what about working dogs. As noted above, the sled dogs are bred for a very specific purpose but the same is true of working stockdogs for example. You stop breeding dogs that are born with the instincts needed to get a job done and eventually you have no dogs left that just intrinsically know how to do the job at hand . Which is why the CBCA and ABCA is so against the conformation showing of border collies to the point of de-registering dogs that attain conformation titles. The stockdog registries don't want working dogs to degrade into being bred for nothing more than a pretty face in the show ring. They want to protect the working lines.

I personally think that if someone is looking for a pet they have a multitude of choices available through rescue resources, shelters etc. and don't need to seek out a breeder. But, if someone has a specific need to fill...where instincts and a proven performance record in a bloodline matter...that's when it is good to have proven lines available to go to. Just my :2cents:

Shaykeija
April 8th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Yes but I still think of that cull....

Choochi
April 9th, 2011, 11:02 AM
With that said, from my perspective, (and yes, I know the logistics of impossibility are stratospheric) I would like to see a timed moratorium on ALL breeding.

Of dogs for nothing but pet purposes, yes absolutely! Working and service dogs, no. I would like to see working titles and health certificates be made a requirement for any breeding to take place, working titles that are breed specific and could be expanded to sport titles. Conformation titles can have some weight, but imo conformation breeders have done nothing more then harm to majority of the breeds out there, in some cases have caused the extinction of good working stock for the sole purposes of a pretty face and a show ring friendly temperament. Otherwise, people who breed because their dog is pretty or nice or their cash cow are the ones breeding for the sake of breeding and are the sole problem of over population (along with the few idiots who let oopsies happen). In every littler of dogs bred for work, there will be pups of pet quality only, that's where the general pet wanting public could get their fix.

mummummum
April 9th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I'm going to come back to this thread in a bit to give a few more folks a chance to get their thoughts down but I would like to point out that I did say a TIMED moratorium ...meaning that it has a start date and an end date. I am not opposed to breeding in principle.

I'd also like to thank all of us for keeping this a thoughtful and civil discussion. :thumbs up

Luvmypitgirls
April 9th, 2011, 02:22 PM
My Kato, is a product of byb'ing. While I oppose BYB's, I would never turn my back on a byb dog, as it's no fault of the dog(s) how it came to be.
My personal experiences with trying to reason with a byb'er, has always ended with me feeling like :wall:
Infact more often then not they become verbally aggressive, and refuse to hear the other side of the issue.
Unfortunately, there will always be those that will breed to line their pockets at the expense of their dogs. I personally don't believe there is a solution to the problem, unfortunately:(
I don't know if anyone watched Alberta Primetime the other day, they had Vic from Petland on and a lady from a group spearheading a campaign for banning the sale of pets (more specific dogs and cats) in pet stores ( which I fully support). Vic from Petland refused to give up the info on his selected breeders, if he has nothing to hide why not disclose the information. I think we all have the right to know where our pets hail from if we so desire the information. His response, find your own breeder then, otherwise just "trust" him. Hmmmm really? :frustrated:

Shaykeija
April 9th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Yea right TRUST HIM to get me a sick animal, TRUST HIM to sell litters from sick, over bred mothers. TRUST HIM MY ASP.....:wall::wall::wall::loser::loser:

Luvmypitgirls
April 9th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Yea right TRUST HIM to get me a sick animal, TRUST HIM to sell litters from sick, over bred mothers. TRUST HIM MY ASP.....:wall::wall::wall::loser::loser:

Exactly! Amen!
Ya know I have gone into Petland, and seen hampsters dropped by kids on the floor and thrown back into the display one with a broken back and when I brought it to their attention I was treated like crap.
I have seen pups with severe hernias, I've seen pups left to play in their own urine when in one the display units where everyone and anyone can pick them up and manhandle them.
I've seen kids yanking on rabbits ears and staff just walking away, hey if the parents cant control them then the staff should for the animals sake.

Petland has several issues that make me cringe.
I'd trust Vic about as far as I could throw him.....:mad:

Brandon W
April 9th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I understand where everyone is coming from with back yard breeding but here is my 2 cents. Lola is from backyard breeding,I was not all aware of it,but she came right up to me and never left my side when I was there to see the pups. I fell in love. So had to have her. Now my sister,bought an Old english bulldog from a registered breeder with ckc and what not. That came with a 5 year health guarentee. The dog my sister picked out was great. We ended up finding out in a checkup that he had a heart murmer,not too bad but it has to be watched,it shouldnt affect his life. Well we asked the breeder to honor the 5 year guarentee and cover any medical costs. So this is like maybe 3 tests,one has already been done it was 800+$. She offered us I think it was like 200$ or something and another dog. We said that if it was 600 and another dog and we had the room we might have made a deal. But we do not have the room for another dog to live comfortably and that wouldnt be fair to the animal. So we would like you to cover any costs asoociated untill the contract is up which is what we signed on. She has refused and is trying to use a language barrier as an excuse which it is not,i can speak more then enough french and have tried to get this woman to co-operate or respond to our emails,and phone calls. She will not. IM FREAKING OUT NOW. We have notified the ckc and everyone and anyone who needs to be notified of this stupid woman. Im at a loss as to who or what to trust now,I know not all breeders are like this but this one is not helping my opinion on them. We are trying to find out how we can legally go about this now,but it is a big headache. This person needs to be taught a lesson though. So id like to hear opinions and what not on this. Not saying I like backyard breeders or im for them,but I have not had this much of a problem with getting Lola. And I did not pay 750$ for her either. I paid 125$ and there was a health guarentee as well of 2 years. I guess these were more expierenced backyarders i dunno.... Im just lost at what to do with this lady..

Loki Love
April 9th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Now my sister,bought an Old english bulldog from a registered breeder with ckc and what not.

Just an FYI - not all who register with the CKC are reputable breeders. In fact, I'd argue a lot of backyard breeders use the terms CKC and AKC to sucker naive buyers in. CKC and AKC are registries, simply put.

There's much much more to being an ethical breeder than a dog having papers and being registered.

I'm awfully sorry to hear what has happened to your sister and her experience in particular.

Brandon W
April 9th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Yeah,just seems odd how that can happen or that ckc and akc put their names to that. Like he came with papers and everything,of his bloodline and parents everythinggg. So its frustraiting thinking that this can still happen like that. I appreciate your condolences,she wasnt looking for a qualified breeder,thats just who she picked,but its awful how this woman will argue with a contract SHE signed.

BenMax
April 9th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Just an FYI - not all who register with the CKC are reputable breeders. In fact, I'd argue a lot of backyard breeders use the terms CKC and AKC to sucker naive buyers in. CKC and AKC are registries, simply put.

There's much much more to being an ethical breeder than a dog having papers and being registered.

I'm awfully sorry to hear what has happened to your sister and her experience in particular.

Thank you so much for pointing this out! Infact, my foster now forever boy also registered with CKC refused to take back their dog.
Also has a faulty heart valve and he is on limited time.
Best practice when researching a reputable, ethical breeder is getting a referral or testimony from others within the 'industry'.

Chris21711
April 9th, 2011, 05:54 PM

You hit that right on the head Loki Love.....as long as both parents are registered regardless of health/physical issues that's all you need....in fact you can use papers from any dog and register a litter, there is no checking up.

Brandon W
April 9th, 2011, 06:01 PM
This just makes me more angry lol....im basically screwed.

Chris21711
April 9th, 2011, 06:15 PM
In all honesty Brandon, if your sister only paid $750 for a guaranteed Old English Bulldog, that should have sounded the alarm.....As a rule an Old English Bulldog that comes from good stock and is sound would cost $1,500 and up.

Brandon W
April 9th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I explained this to her when she got him. But she said because my sister was coming to pick the dog up (im Montreal) that they would lower it. It was 1000 im pretty sure. And you cant tell me that there is a set price for a breed of dog so that its in good health. It will happen if it will happen. The part im mad about is she has signed a contract had there of been no contract then fine so be it. But she put her word on paper,she should(and will) live by it. Wether she wants to or not.

BenMax
April 9th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I explained this to her when she got him. But she said because my sister was coming to pick the dog up (im Montreal) that they would lower it. It was 1000 im pretty sure. And you cant tell me that there is a set price for a breed of dog so that its in good health. It will happen if it will happen. The part im mad about is she has signed a contract had there of been no contract then fine so be it. But she put her word on paper,she should(and will) live by it. Wether she wants to or not.

Actually just being from Montreal is a warning sign as it is. Puppymill capital of Canada. Oh yeah..I am a proud Quebecoise..:rolleyes:

Brandon W
April 9th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Lol well how is everyone suppose to know this. Either way the lady should not have made a contract if she had no intentions of not honoring a health gaurentee.Haha and am i reading right,is a french person admitting Quebec is not always the promised land ?! :P No offence,I hope you get that joke.

Je suis francais aussi. Mais je suis pas nee dans Quebec.

erykah1310
April 9th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Now my sister,bought an Old english bulldog from a registered breeder with ckc and what not.

Does this "breeder" breed another breed? I dont see how they can claim CKC if it is Canadian Kennel Club seeing as though OEB's are not recognized by the Canadian kennel Club?

Brandon W
April 9th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Does this "breeder" breed another breed? I dont see how they can claim CKC if it is Canadian Kennel Club seeing as though OEB's are not recognized by the Canadian kennel Club?

Im not too sure. The dog is registered and everything and came with papers and what not,ill get the papers from my sister in a bit and go through them and find out what organisations shes part of. But im almost sure its ckc cause she has messasged them twice. Ill find out,id llike more info on that though. Why dont they reconize them ?

erykah1310
April 9th, 2011, 07:30 PM
They are registered with IOEBA and possibly Continental Kennel Club who also would have the same abbreviations as the CKC and many back yard breeders hide behind this.
The Continental KC registers anything...
There is a process for breeds to become a recognized breed. Canadian Kennel Club pretty much just follows suit with what AKC recognizes.
Here's a link explaining a bit of the process.
http://www.akc.org/breeds/unrecognized_breeds.cfm

Brandon W
April 9th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Ok so my mistake ckc is not mentioned at all. Here is her contract.

It first states that the dog is a companion and not being bought for show or breeding purposes.

The puppy described above is sold for the sum of 750$

the breeder is involved himself to:

1. Furnish a puppy in good health,without hereditary defect being able to put his life in danger and not showing any symptoms of infectious deseases before and or at the purchase.

2.Furnish the notebook of health and recording papers to I.O.E.B.A

3. Reimburse the buyer for his deposit happening the puppy dies in the understood period between the deposit and the taken of pessesion of the puppy.

4. Medica treatments furnish:
Vaccinations towards the age of 6 weeks
two worms

The buyer is involved itself to:

1.Let the puppy examine by the vet in the following 5 days dates back to it take possession of the puppy.(it is not an obligation) and this to the expense of the buyer.

Guarenteed Salesman:

1. THe dog described in this contract will be guaranteed against say congenital (including dysplasie of the hip and elbow) and this for the 5 following years dates back to it purchase of that dog.

2.in case of the dogs death for a cause covered by the present guarantee,the buyer will be able to choose another dog of the same quality the moment the puppy of replacement is available.

3.With regards to the guarantee against the dysplasie of the hip and elbow to prevail itself of his guarantee,the buyer will have to furnish the xrays artifing the abnormality presence with the animal and the report of the vet certifying the disease present.

4.In any case the breeder not little the guarantee the dog for some period that this be in case of desease of infectious origin surpassing the 10 days of viral given guarantee normally by all good breeder (intestinal or skin parasite,etc) poisioning or accident and this to leave the day of the taken of possesion of the animal bought: all consecutive problem to a negligence an absense of followed by a delay to notify the salesman of a difficulty cancels the guarantee.

5. a change of owner cancels immediat;ly the present contract in case of death of the animal the buyer will have to prove by an examination and an autopsy of a cause covered by the guarantee,the vet expenses linked to the method of the diagnostic one are at the charge of the buyer.

and then its dated and signed by her

So it clearly states congenital problems are covered under the 5 years. And we did send all vet bill,tests and statements about it being congenital. All as soon as we got them and we even had them translated for her. Her response was the dog is healthy and it is not in harm so i dont have to honor it. Which is false it is a 4 out of a 6 heart murmer that needs to be watched so it doesnt harm him,and that he most likely will live a normal life,but needs to have a couple of these heart tests done every couple years or something. SHe has to cover that cost,her ultimatum was not sufficiant and we could not take on the resposnabilities of another dog,even if it were to sell to someone else(which she suggested to get the vet money). soooo....feedback ??? Any ideas on how i should go about getting her to comply ?! What are my rights,im clearly correct in this am i not ? She needs to cover the costs up to 5 years..

Loki Love
April 9th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Any ideas on how i should go about getting her to comply ?! What are my rights,im clearly correct in this am i not ? She needs to cover the costs up to 5 years..

If you're serious about pursuing this, then I would think the next step would be contacting a lawyer at this point and go over the legalities of the contract.

Brandon W
April 9th, 2011, 09:06 PM
If you're serious about pursuing this, then I would think the next step would be contacting a lawyer at this point and go over the legalities of the contract.

yeah im afraid it is going to have to come down to that. cause in the end it is going to cost 2400$ for all the tests he needs up to the 5 years,thats a lot of cash we gotta pay for wanting a dog let alone a health guaranteed dog. I just didnt want to legally pursue it. But if i must i will. Im going to contact her one more time and outline what she is breaching about the contract she signed and let her know what can be done if she does not want to settle it the humane way out of court. its all i can do i guess..

Brandon W
April 9th, 2011, 09:08 PM
http://www.usedottawa.com/classified-ad/Puppy-olde-english-bulldog_13089886

again any comments or feedback is appreciated,i like to have all the knowledge possible before I get into something like this.

erykah1310
April 9th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but these contracts really aren't worth the paper they are written on. Either you have a breeder who actually DOES stand behind their guarantee or you dont.
I think it would cost you more to pursue this in courts than the tests ect will.
Its up to you, perhaps contact a lawyer and see but if the breeder is not honoring it... odds are it will be a costly effort to get money from her. And if you win in court, and she is ordered to pay it doesn't mean she will.

Brandon W
April 9th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but these contracts really aren't worth the paper they are written on. Either you have a breeder who actually DOES stand behind their guarantee or you dont.
I think it would cost you more to pursue this in courts than the tests ect will.
Its up to you, perhaps contact a lawyer and see but if the breeder is not honoring it... odds are it will be a costly effort to get money from her. And if you win in court, and she is ordered to pay it doesn't mean she will.

yeahh no need to be sorry I pretty much know that hence why I do not want to pursue it legally. Its just very annoying and does not help my anger issues lol. I do have an address and my ways of dealing with things are not the most polite or how shall we say it,ethical I guess. Its taking a lot out of me not to go and deal with it how I used to deal with things. People like this make me sick, but cant change them I guess. They will always be like that. Karma I guess is my thinking nowadays.

Momma told me the world was a cruel place,oh how I did not believe her. HAHA XD

Choochi
April 10th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Brandon if it makes you feel any better, there are unethical scumbags selling every thing out there from used cars, to water purifiers, deck installers, mechanics, you name it. Dogs are in no way immune. That's why it's so important especially for people new to dogs to do their research and triple check before they purchase, a decision that can be very easily complicated by impulses and emotions. Plus hindsight is always 20/20. There are people who make the exact same decision as you, buy from a byb never giving it much thought and every thing works out fine, they're just lucky.

Brandon W
April 10th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Yeah,im going to try to reach out to her one more time and then if not well ill just get word around Montreal about her. I have a lot of connections in Montreal,in both commercial and people with reputations that everyone will listen to if they have an issue or concern. I hope she solves this on her own. I hate trying to make someone elses life hell,but I will if i have to lol. But yes the sad fact in the end is that yes there are far too many that will try to scam you for personal gain. Its happend far too much to me. I like to help others before myself. Not the best quality for todays society.