Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When Drooling and Weight Loss Becomes Serious - Jasmine's Story

Cerena
April 5th, 2011, 03:48 AM
Hello :)

This is my very first time posting on here. I'm a member of other forums and I'm happy to become part of this community. My cat is having a rough time right now.

I thought I'd share Jasmine's story:
I thought my cat had a tooth infection as she was drooling from the mouth and would not let me open it up to see what was the nature of her illness was. Actually, to do this you definitely need two people to hold her feet and body while opening the mouth. The veternarian, upon opening her mouth, saw that her right canines (upper and lower) were hurting her. Here is what's happening: her lower right canine is broken, and her upper right canine is stabbing into her lower right gum. The solution, remove both canine teeth as soon as possible.

Upon palpation, the vet noticed that her thyroid gland was enlarged which was a red flag to him. The possibility of having an uncontrolled, overactive thyroid before the dental work could potential lead to serious heart problems. His solution was to gather blood work, which was done today, and to see how high the thyroid levels actually are. He called me earlier - her thyroid levels were too high to measure. So, I was able to pick up thyroid medication today which is to be given to her every day. See, the problem the vet faces is: how long will it take before her thyroid is under control when there isn't a number to assess how hyperactive her thyroid actually is. Ideally, he'd like to put her on the thyroid medication 4 weeks to get is well under control. However, with the oral problems he needs to compromise the time limit as postponing a major extraction would also lead to problems. So... the solution is to put her on it for a couple of weeks, do blood work to see where she's at, and then if all goes well to go ahead with the dental extraction.

And if anyone has gone through a similar situation, please let me know. This is the first time she's ever gotten sick. I'm trying not to freak out, but I'm a university student (biochemistry) and I'm sort of panicked. She's my best friend, and I know there are other cat lovers here, so if anyone can give any sort of comfort, I'd really appreciate it <3

Also, if anyone has had their cat go through dental or any other surgery, tips on how I should best help her recovery would be more than welcome.

Here's my lil gal:
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/197611_502581706350_127900269_30040220_8242_n.jpg

sugarcatmom
April 5th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Hi Cerena, welcome to pets.ca! Sorry that you're girl is having all these issues right now. How old is Jasmine?

So... the solution is to put her on it for a couple of weeks, do blood work to see where she's at, and then if all goes well to go ahead with the dental extraction.

In the meantime, is she at least on some pain meds? (and not Metacam!)

Also, if anyone has had their cat go through dental or any other surgery, tips on how I should best help her recovery would be more than welcome.

My old guy had a broken canine removed a few years ago and he recovered awesomely. One thing I would highly recommend is a Fentanyl pain patch post-surgery. Having teeth removed can be extremely painful and with the patch, you don't have to try opening the cat's mouth a couple times a day. Also, be wary of using Antirobe drops. This is a liquid antibiotic frequently prescribed after dental surgery and it's absolutely positively the most foul tasting stuff I've ever put in my mouth. Plus, it's prone to causing diarrhea. I'll never use it on any other cat in my care, ever. I think vets that still prescribe it haven't ever tasted it. There are other options, like Clavamox tablets ground up and mixed into wet food.

All the best to you and Jasmine. :grouphug:

Love4himies
April 5th, 2011, 09:04 AM
What a sweetie pie your kitty is :lovestruck:

My Sweet Pea recently had dental work done on her, poor girl, had broken teeth right down to the pulp. :(. She has recovered very nicely.

I 150% agree with SCM, a pain patch after surgery is a must. My vet would not give Sweet Pea one, stating that the cat feels instant pain relief afterwards, but that was not my experience at all.

I have given my vet instructions that Convenia antibiotic shot was NOT to be given to Sweet Pea after surgery so he prescribed liquid clavamox instead. I had to be very gentle getting the liquid into her mouth so as to not irritate her gums.

I didn't read what type of food you are feeding your kitty, but Sweet Pea is on a canned/raw diet. After surgery, I did water down her food more than usual so she didn't have to chew anything.

Good luck and please, keep us posted.

Cerena
April 5th, 2011, 01:41 PM
First and foremast, thank you all so much for caring!! :grouphug: It means so much to me right now. Jasmine is 7 years old, however this is debatable. I got her from petcetera 4 years ago. They told me she was taken in from uncaring owners. You both look like very experienced pet owners and I'm sure you understand that there are some who are not meant to be have pets, but even then I can't understand why people can be abusive to their animals. Jasmine definitely picked me :) I was looking for a cat, and she saw me come in. None of the other cats really cared about me, but there was one kitten who I thought was adorable, not Jasmine, that I was about to buy. And right before I signed the paperwork, I noticed this cat who when I entered was hiding in the corner of her cage. She meowed and meowed and caressed the cage, the whole time looking at me! Like she was saying, "Hi! Nice to meet you! But you know, I'm better than that other cat" It was love haha and I said to myself, okay this kitten is definitely going to find an owner. But a 3 year old cat? I'm not sure. She's so lovable, and she actually LIKES me!! Let me take her. And I did :) And we're best friends.

In the meantime, is she at least on some pain meds? (and not Metacam!)

She is not on pain meds right now but I have a very caring vet and will talk to him about this soon. I was sort of like a deer caught in head lights yesterday, everything was going so fast that I didn't have time to think :( But I will talk to him soon about this, thanks! I didn't even know how I should give Jasmine the thyroid tablets (tapazole) until I asked the vet assistant to help me out. I gave half a tablet to her yesterday, cut the tablet in half on a sanitary surface, and then ground it up and put it just below the top of her food. Oh, and you wanted to know what type of food she is eating? I didn't realize the problem until two days ago and was giving her crunchy food! I can't even tell you how bad I felt about that. I thought she was just being finicky by eating less of it. After I realized the problem, I bought her a whole package of her favourite soft food (she loves fancy feast chicken and gravy).

Still, Jasmine also has not been eating very much, I was told I may have to force feed her and as I've never had to this, this part scares me. I'm struggling to know how much she should be eating versus how much she is eating and I don't want to resort to something like this, but the vet assured me I may well have to. I shrugged it off when I saw him because it was too much for me to handle (I've never gone through something like this) but I'm going to do what it takes to make her better. I will observe her eating patterns over the next few days and go from there.

My old guy had a broken canine removed a few years ago and he recovered awesomely. One thing I would highly recommend is a Fentanyl pain patch post-surgery. Having teeth removed can be extremely painful and with the patch, you don't have to try opening the cat's mouth a couple times a day. Also, be wary of using Antirobe drops. This is a liquid antibiotic frequently prescribed after dental surgery and it's absolutely positively the most foul tasting stuff I've ever put in my mouth. Plus, it's prone to causing diarrhea. I'll never use it on any other cat in my care, ever. I think vets that still prescribe it haven't ever tasted it. There are other options, like Clavamox tablets ground up and mixed into wet food.

All the best to you and Jasmine. :grouphug:

Thanks for the advice!

I have given my vet instructions that Convenia antibiotic shot was NOT to be given to Sweet Pea after surgery so he prescribed liquid clavamox instead. I had to be very gentle getting the liquid into her mouth so as to not irritate her gums.

I didn't read what type of food you are feeding your kitty, but Sweet Pea is on a canned/raw diet. After surgery, I did water down her food more than usual so she didn't have to chew anything.

Good luck and please, keep us posted.

Thanks so much for everything! How recently did your guy have his surgery done?

mummummum
April 5th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Welcome to the forum Cerena ~ I'm a cat-know-nothing but you'll find some of the most knowledgable cat-people on the planet here!

Cerena
April 5th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Welcome to the forum Cerena ~ I'm a cat-know-nothing but you'll find some of the most knowledgable cat-people on the planet here!

Happy to meet you! Thanks so much :) And yes, you're right. So many experienced members :O I'm a dog lover as well, and I'm guessing from your avatar you are too :)

sugarcatmom
April 5th, 2011, 02:23 PM
She's so lovable, and she actually LIKES me!! Let me take her. And I did :) And we're best friends.

Awesome story, thanks for sharing Jasmine's history. :lovestruck:

After I realized the problem, I bought her a whole package of her favourite soft food (she loves fancy feast chicken and gravy).

Okay good. Wet food is better for cats anyway, whether they have dental issues or not, so hopefully you can keep feeding her that. Although eventually you may want to switch to a higher quality food. FF isn't the worst, but it does often contain less than ideal ingredients like wheat gluten, by-products and fish.

Still, Jasmine also has not been eating very much, I was told I may have to force feed her and as I've never had to this, this part scares me.

Honestly, I don't think force-feeding is going to be a good idea. She's in pain, and messing with her mouth trying to force a syringe in there is likely to be extremely traumatic for both of you. But she really must eat! So I would get some pain meds as soon as you can, and possibly even an appetite stimulant (but start with pain meds first to see if that does the trick). She may also need antibiotics if there is infection present.

I'm struggling to know how much she should be eating versus how much she is eating

Do you know how much she weighs? How much is she eating right now (like 1 can a day? 2?)? Do you leave the wet food out so she can nibble on it periodically? If not, that might be a good idea. It doesn't go bad as fast as you'd think (just make sure to replace any uneaten portions with fresh by about 12 hrs).

Love4himies
April 5th, 2011, 02:25 PM
OH I LOVE it when the kitty picks the owners :cloud9::lovestruck:

Oh, yes, I totally agree, some people should have pets or shouldn't even procreate, lol.

Sweet Pea had her surgery last November, so she is fully recovered now :). I did have to force feed her while she was waiting for her surgery as she wouldn't eat at all. Cats should NOT go more than 24 hours without eating as they can get fatty liver disease and the more your cat is overweight, the riskier it is. It was not a pleasant task, as her teeth hurt so much, but it was a necessary evil to get something into her. I did it with a syringe and watered down Wellness food.

Thyroid meds can be purchased as a gel that you can place inside the ear or if the underarm is shaved, there. A lot of people find that much easier than pilling. ;)

hazelrunpack
April 5th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Sorry to hear that your little beauty is having problems, Cerena :grouphug:

Cerena
April 5th, 2011, 02:33 PM
FF isn't the worst, but it does often contain less than ideal ingredients like wheat gluten, by-products and fish.

Could you suggest a healthier alternative? She needs all the help she can get right now.

Honestly, I don't think force-feeding is going to be a good idea. She's in pain, and messing with her mouth trying to force a syringe in there is likely to be extremely traumatic for both of you. But she really must eat! So I would get some pain meds as soon as you can, and possibly even an appetite stimulant (but start with pain meds first to see if that does the trick). She may also need antibiotics if there is infection present.

Great advice, thanks :)

Do you know how much she weighs? How much is she eating right now (like 1 can a day? 2?)? Do you leave the wet food out so she can nibble on it periodically? If not, that might be a good idea. It doesn't go bad as fast as you'd think (just make sure to replace any uneaten portions with fresh by about 12 hrs).

She is a little less than 7 lbs right now. Normally, she weighs between 8-9 lbs. Yesterday she ate about half of a can :( Today she is nibbling bits and pieces. Luckily, I can stay home today and help her out. But I will most definitely leave the food out for her.

Also... this may sound a bit strange, but Jasmine's face looks differently. That's how I knew something was wrong. Her jaw seems to droop a bit more downwards. And I hope this doesn't sound like a selfish concern, but do you think that the surgery will correct this? Hard to explain, but she doesn't look like her normal self.

Cerena
April 5th, 2011, 02:37 PM
OH I LOVE it when the kitty picks the owners :cloud9::lovestruck:

Oh, yes, I totally agree, some people should have pets or shouldn't even procreate, lol.

Sweet Pea had her surgery last November, so she is fully recovered now :). I did have to force feed her while she was waiting for her surgery as she wouldn't eat at all. Cats should NOT go more than 24 hours without eating as they can get fatty liver disease and the more your cat is overweight, the riskier it is. It was not a pleasant task, as her teeth hurt so much, but it was a necessary evil to get something into her. I did it with a syringe and watered down Wellness food.

Thyroid meds can be purchased as a gel that you can place inside the ear or if the underarm is shaved, there. A lot of people find that much easier than pilling. ;)

Sorry to hear that your little beauty is having problems, Cerena :grouphug:

Thank you both so much! And Love4himmies, thank you so much for the advice about force feeding. I'm going to monitor her eating habits, hopefully I won't have to but I'll do anything to keep her healthy. Looks like I don't have to at the moment, but thank you for explaining it to me.

fleolicious
April 5th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Also... this may sound a bit strange, but Jasmine's face looks differently. That's how I knew something was wrong. Her jaw seems to droop a bit more downwards.
I would guess she is just trying to keep her gums away from the canine that's stabbing into them, so I really don't think it's permanent.

Best of luck to you both!

Cerena
April 5th, 2011, 04:31 PM
I would guess she is just trying to keep her gums away from the canine that's stabbing into them, so I really don't think it's permanent.

Best of luck to you both!

Thanks! And just a quick update, she's just fast asleep on my lap. I requested pain medication for her, just waiting for it to be approved by a vet.

sugarcatmom
April 5th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Could you suggest a healthier alternative? She needs all the help she can get right now.

Wellness is one to look for, and most flavours are grain-free. They are also higher in calories than FF. If she'll eat pate style food, go for the cans, but if she prefers chunks in gravy, they also make some pouches which might appeal to her more.

You might also want to go to the grocery store and pick up some jars of plain meat baby food (like Heinz Chicken in Broth). Most cats find it irresistable, and it should be easy for her to lap it up, especially if you add a tsp or 2 of warm water. This is just temporary until she's feeling better as it isn't a balanced diet.

is a little less than 7 lbs right now. Normally, she weighs between 8-9 lbs. Yesterday she ate about half of a can

Ya, she needs to get more calories into her. A 3 oz can of FF is around 90 calories and cats need about 20-30 calories per lb per day, which means she should be eating closer to 2 cans a day. I hope whatever meds the vet gives her help get her back on track. :fingerscr

Cerena
April 6th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Wellness is one to look for, and most flavours are grain-free. They are also higher in calories than FF. If she'll eat pate style food, go for the cans, but if she prefers chunks in gravy, they also make some pouches which might appeal to her more.

You might also want to go to the grocery store and pick up some jars of plain meat baby food (like Heinz Chicken in Broth). Most cats find it irresistable, and it should be easy for her to lap it up, especially if you add a tsp or 2 of warm water. This is just temporary until she's feeling better as it isn't a balanced diet.

Ya, she needs to get more calories into her. A 3 oz can of FF is around 90 calories and cats need about 20-30 calories per lb per day, which means she should be eating closer to 2 cans a day. I hope whatever meds the vet gives her help get her back on track. :fingerscr

Good news :) Jasmine seems to have her appetite today! She ate about 1.5 cans of FF chicken and gravy. Thanks you so much for the suggestion for her. She's not feeling the pate, but I'll try to get chunky Wellness cat food. I can try it out and see what she thinks tomorrow. Can you just buy this brand at a grocery store? She seems to be devouring the fancy feast chicken and gravy (she might still be hungry! Yay!) so she seems to be doing well with the chunky type, but I'm hoping this isn't a fluke and it's best to take it one day at a time.

No word back today about the pain medication (they might have called and not left a message), but fingers crossed for tomorrow! :fingerscr

catlover2
April 7th, 2011, 10:01 AM
You won't find Wellness in grocery stores, but will need to go to a pet store to get it. I know both Global and Pet Valu carry it in Ontario. It sounds like Jasmine's starting to make a good recovery. All the best!

hazelrunpack
April 7th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I'm glad she was getting her appetite back, Cerena! How is she doing today? Did you ever hear back about the pain meds? :goodvibes:

Love4himies
April 7th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Good news :) Jasmine seems to have her appetite today! She ate about 1.5 cans of FF chicken and gravy. Thanks you so much for the suggestion for her. She's not feeling the pate, but I'll try to get chunky Wellness cat food. I can try it out and see what she thinks tomorrow. Can you just buy this brand at a grocery store? She seems to be devouring the fancy feast chicken and gravy (she might still be hungry! Yay!) so she seems to be doing well with the chunky type, but I'm hoping this isn't a fluke and it's best to take it one day at a time.

No word back today about the pain medication (they might have called and not left a message), but fingers crossed for tomorrow! :fingerscr

Yay:thumbs up

Cerena
April 7th, 2011, 02:39 PM
You won't find Wellness in grocery stores, but will need to go to a pet store to get it. I know both Global and Pet Valu carry it in Ontario. It sounds like Jasmine's starting to make a good recovery. All the best!

Thanks! I am going to have to check it out :)

I'm glad she was getting her appetite back, Cerena! How is she doing today? Did you ever hear back about the pain meds? :goodvibes:

She's totally got her appetite back! Up to two cans a day (smaller cans, but still! A lot better than half a can she was eating all last week). I started her on pain meds yesterday (I know some might not agree, but she is on metacam. Her blood work indicated no prior existing kidney problems, her kidney by-product levels are well within the normal range, and we are going to do a second blood test pre-surgery to make sure her thyroid, kidney, and other organs are functioning normally).

She is responding very well to pain medication! She loved the taste of it. And, she seems to be a lot happier. Her meow isn't as harsh, and she's starting to be more like her normal self. She is also eating her food at a normal pace. She was eating extremely slowly a few days ago and she seems to enjoy eating more now. It's only been one day that's she's been on the pain meds, but already she's looking much better. Amazing.

Also, another update. Her thyroid medication (tapazole) has been increased from 5 mg a day to 10 mg day in hopes that her thyroid levels well be manageable in two weeks time for surgery. again, that seems to be working just fine.

Yay:thumbs up

Thanks!

hazelrunpack
April 7th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Wonderful update!!! :thumbs up

sugarcatmom
April 7th, 2011, 05:49 PM
She's totally got her appetite back! Up to two cans a day

Much better! Glad to hear that.

I started her on pain meds yesterday (I know some might not agree, but she is on metacam.

Hey, it's the lesser of 2 evils. I'll take Metacam over no pain meds at all. There really aren't a lot of decent analgesic options for felines, and while I prefer something like Buprenex, Metacam is much cheaper and easier to come by. You do what you gotta do.

Her meow isn't as harsh, and she's starting to be more like her normal self. She is also eating her food at a normal pace.

:thumbs up

Let us know how the surgery goes. :fingerscr

Cerena
April 16th, 2011, 02:09 AM
I just wanted to give a quick update on Jasmine. It has been difficult to mix in Jasmine's medication with her food so I'm now giving it to her via oral syringe. Her coat doesn't look so dull anymore! It looks a lot shinier and vibrant. She has also stopped being interested in her soft food completely and will only eat dry food. Poor thing, though. She can only chew on one side of her mouth.

Her surgery should be sometime next week. Getting excited for her to get it done but so she can recover asap.

I'll definitely give an update following next week's events. Everyone has been so supportive! :thankyou:

reanne
April 17th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Hi Cerena, happy to hear that Jasmine has been improving! The coat changes would be from getting her thyroid more under control, and also if you changed her food that would make a huge difference too.

I feel your pain as a university student-I am in nursing and we are in school for more than 10 months a year, and it is an extremely expensive program. However, kudos to you for making sure Jasmine is looked after! I know it is hard, but somehow you just make it work! It helps to have a good relationship with your vet-that way you can occasionally owe him/her money if you need something but dont' have the money for it at the time.

Feeding quality food is a little more expensive, but it is worth it (it just means more ramen, noodles, and potatoes for us university students, but we're already used to that anyway!). You can do a lot with a vegetable (or not, if none are on sale LOL), some hot sauce, and rice/pasta/potato and a few herbs!!

My older dog, Whistler, broke one of his canine teeth about...4 years ago now? He busted it in half on a rock. Because he is a large (92lbs), active dog, the vet said pulling it was not an option. He basically had a root canal instead (depulped the tooth part way down, capped it, then the cap fell off a couple years later so it had to be replaced). Dental surgery is not cheap, but he recovered quickly, none the worse for wear now! Hope Jasmine's surgery goes well too.

Best of luck to you!

Cerena
April 20th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Hi Cerena, happy to hear that Jasmine has been improving! The coat changes would be from getting her thyroid more under control, and also if you changed her food that would make a huge difference too.

I feel your pain as a university student-I am in nursing and we are in school for more than 10 months a year, and it is an extremely expensive program. However, kudos to you for making sure Jasmine is looked after! I know it is hard, but somehow you just make it work! It helps to have a good relationship with your vet-that way you can occasionally owe him/her money if you need something but dont' have the money for it at the time.

Feeding quality food is a little more expensive, but it is worth it (it just means more ramen, noodles, and potatoes for us university students, but we're already used to that anyway!). You can do a lot with a vegetable (or not, if none are on sale LOL), some hot sauce, and rice/pasta/potato and a few herbs!!

My older dog, Whistler, broke one of his canine teeth about...4 years ago now? He busted it in half on a rock. Because he is a large (92lbs), active dog, the vet said pulling it was not an option. He basically had a root canal instead (depulped the tooth part way down, capped it, then the cap fell off a couple years later so it had to be replaced). Dental surgery is not cheap, but he recovered quickly, none the worse for wear now! Hope Jasmine's surgery goes well too.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks reanne! I'm actually a vegetarian, and food is relatively cheap and nutritious for me. I cook all the time, so that's not a problem. And yes, I'm lucky to have a really awesome vet who's so caring. Glad to hear that your dog recovered well from the surgery. I'm curious, could you tell me about how much the surgery was for your dog? For my cat, the extraction itself is around $300 but with everything included it's prob around $700.

Shaykeija
April 20th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Yep that sounds about right for vet costs. Cute cat

reanne
April 26th, 2011, 02:58 AM
It was quite a few years ago so I can't quite remember...I think it was around $1500, possibly as much as $1800. That surgery is more expensive than a plain extraction, plus there would be a significant increase due to size, for anaesthesia and antibiotics and such.

Keep us posted on how she is doing!

So glad to hear you have an awesome vet too! :D

hazelrunpack
April 26th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Do you know when the surgery is going to be, yet, Cerena? :goodvibes:

Cerena
April 28th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Do you know when the surgery is going to be, yet, Cerena? :goodvibes:

Not yet. They told me the surgery would be in two weeks, but it's been more than that. I thought they would give me a call :shrug:

I'm calling them right now to see what's up.

EDIT - she is officially booked for May 2nd.

reanne
April 28th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Good luck to her! :)

hazelrunpack
April 28th, 2011, 11:48 PM
I'm glad they could book you quickly once you called! Less time for Mom to worry :grouphug: :goodvibes: for a successful surgery and easy recovery!

Cerena
May 2nd, 2011, 04:25 PM
Jasmine is having her surgery done right now! She went in at 8:20 AM (5 hrs ago). She's also getting a dental cleaning, and the vet techs are going to comb out/shave her matts while anaesthetized. Everyone there is really great. I'm supposed to get a call as soon as she wakes up from the anaesthetic. Crossing my fingers for a successful operation...

sugarcatmom
May 2nd, 2011, 04:31 PM
Crossing my fingers for a successful operation...

:fingerscr:fingerscr

Me too! Let us know how she's doing when you get her home and settled. :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
May 2nd, 2011, 04:40 PM
Sending :goodvibes: for a successful surgery and an easy recovery!

Cerena
May 2nd, 2011, 05:04 PM
I'm so relieved right now, I HAD to post this!!
Just got a phone call from the vet. My cat was fantastic. She has woken up, the tooth came out easily, her thyroid levels went down from ~10 now it is at 2.1! Well in the healthy range! After medication, guess I did an okay job at being vigilant about it! And she's coming home in about 2 hours. Ahhh so relieved. Man, it is hard to go through this all by yourself. Thanks everyone for the support <3 :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
May 2nd, 2011, 05:06 PM
WhoooHoooo! :highfive:

Great news all around, Cerena! :grouphug:

reanne
May 2nd, 2011, 05:24 PM
Excellent!

Cerena
May 2nd, 2011, 08:00 PM
Good news and bad news. So the good news is everything seems to be fine with Jasmine right now. She's at home, and looks great. She's a bit tired, but you can imagine why :)

Bad news... they had to sit me down for this. They found something strange in her mouth and are not sure what it is. May be just an infection, but it may also be a tumour. I'll have to wait and see what they say. I can't imagine it being a tumour... and I really hope it is not one.

Mixed feelings right now :cry:, but I'm so happy to have her at home. I guess I'll have to deal with whatever comes and be thankful for right now.

hazelrunpack
May 2nd, 2011, 08:13 PM
Breathe deep--might just be an infection from the bad tooth! I know it's tough to do (I'm no good at it :o) but try not to worry too much till you find out something for sure, k? :grouphug: And at least she's home now and doing well! :highfive:

Cerena
May 2nd, 2011, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the support, hazel <3
Breathe in, breathe out... one thing at a time.

reanne
May 3rd, 2011, 01:54 AM
That's great that she's home and doing well. As said, I know it's hard but try not to stress too much about the growth or what they found-although it is so hard not knowing! My dog Whistler had a huge disgusting crazy tumor that I was convinced was cancer it grew so fast-amazingly it wasn't. Now he has a couple more tumors, and one of them is growing fast again; again my vet is monitoring it. This time I am trying not to stress over it-it is what it is. We'll take things as they come. So, your girl is happy and healthy right now-enjoy that!

Cerena
May 3rd, 2011, 10:46 PM
That's great that she's home and doing well. As said, I know it's hard but try not to stress too much about the growth or what they found-although it is so hard not knowing! My dog Whistler had a huge disgusting crazy tumor that I was convinced was cancer it grew so fast-amazingly it wasn't. Now he has a couple more tumors, and one of them is growing fast again; again my vet is monitoring it. This time I am trying not to stress over it-it is what it is. We'll take things as they come. So, your girl is happy and healthy right now-enjoy that!

Thanks, reanne <3 I hope you enjoy your time with your dog as well! I had a good talk with the vet today... apparently if it's cancerous, radioactive treatment likely won't do much for her. I'll have to determine at that point what the next step will be. She may have to have a jaw surgery.

But for now, she has her tapazole treatment (which my vet and I have decided to lower the dosage and do the T4 test in a month to see how she is responding), she has her antibiotics, and she has her pain meds. I think she's dealing with a lot right now and we'll have to take things slow.

But the most promising aspect is how well she is recovering. She's had a great day today, was even running around a bit! She's eating fine as well, and boy is she hungry lol it surprises me. She's one tough cat, that's for sure.

reanne
May 5th, 2011, 01:46 AM
Thanks :) Yeah I figure for him, it is what it is. I think that chemo or radiation would be cruel to him so if he does have cancer, we'll have the lesion removed and go from there. That was my plan with the last one and I lucked out that it was benign. So we'll see how it goes!

Happy to hear she's running around and is hungry-always a good sign! :) I'll cross my fingers that her thyroid levels are good next time she's tested! She does have a lot on her plate right now and it sounds like she is taking it all in stride!

Cerena
May 9th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Thanks for everything, Reanne :) I wish the best for you and your dog! Hope all goes well. I know how you feel about radiation therapy.
You all have been so helpful. Jasmine's mouth is a little swollen on the side post-surgery. But other than that she seems to be fine.

Jasmine had one poop fiasco a couple of days ago! Haha I can laugh now, but it was kind of crappy at the time.

I will update everyone about the possibility of Jasmine having a tumour when the histology report comes back.

Cerena
May 9th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Got the news about Jasmine... it's an infection!

No tumour!!!! :lovestruck:

Love4himies
May 9th, 2011, 07:04 PM
YAY! What a relief that is :grouphug::grouphug:

hazelrunpack
May 9th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Halleluyah!!!! :highfive: I'm so happy to hear the news, Cerena!!! :grouphug:

reanne
May 10th, 2011, 12:07 PM
That's great! That probably means she's feeling better already! Did they have to change up medication at all? How is she doing otherwise? :D
Awesome news!!!!!!!!!!

Cerena
May 11th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Thanks so much you all! It's definitely been a bumpy ride this last little while, but it seems that all is well!

We are running the course with antibiotics to get rid of her tooth infection (clindamycin). I am also giving Jasmine her tapazole twice daily for her thyroid problem. Upon my request, we are cutting the dosage in half and then testing her T4 levels to see how she responds. This is because the tapazole treatment is a lifelong treatment and I wanted to determine what an appropriate dose. I do not want to give her more than needed. It would be a waste, on both ends.

I also start brushing her teeth in a few days! That should be fun haha. Chicken flavour toothpaste? I hope she likes it :) Or, at least lets me somewhat try it out :P

pbpatti
May 11th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Cerena, I have been following your thread and I am so happy to hear that Jasmine if recovering from her ordeal. :pray: that her infection cleaqrs up quickly. patti

reanne
May 12th, 2011, 01:03 AM
I hope the tooth brushing goes well! Good luck!

sugarcatmom
May 12th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I also start brushing her teeth in a few days! That should be fun haha. Chicken flavour toothpaste? I hope she likes it :) Or, at least lets me somewhat try it out :P

You'll be wanting to watch this video then: http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/pet/fhc/brushing_teeth

And good luck! So happy to hear that Jasmine is going to be just fine. :thumbs up

Cerena
May 15th, 2011, 04:00 AM
Cerena, I have been following your thread and I am so happy to hear that Jasmine if recovering from her ordeal. :pray: that her infection cleaqrs up quickly. patti

Thanks for everything, Patti! :cat:

I hope the tooth brushing goes well! Good luck!

Thanks, reanne!

You'll be wanting to watch this video then: http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/pet/fhc/brushing_teeth

And good luck! So happy to hear that Jasmine is going to be just fine. :thumbs up

Thank you for the great resource, scm!!

hazelrunpack
May 15th, 2011, 09:02 AM
How did she take to the tooth-brushing, Cerena? I've never done a cat, but our 8 dogs get their teeth brushed every day. They aren't too keen on it the first few days, but when they realize that the poultry-flavored CET we use tastes so good, they start looking forward to it. :D

Cerena
May 17th, 2011, 11:07 PM
How did she take to the tooth-brushing, Cerena? I've never done a cat, but our 8 dogs get their teeth brushed every day. They aren't too keen on it the first few days, but when they realize that the poultry-flavored CET we use tastes so good, they start looking forward to it. :D

Hazel, yes the toothpaste we will be using is chicken flavoured! That's great that the dogs like it. Wow, you have 8 dogs? I hope to have 7 one day :lovestruck: I'm just getting her used to the toothpaste and toothbrush right now. Haven't started brushing yet, but I am slowly introducing her to everything.

Unfortunately, Jasmine's jaw is becoming swollen :( And she looks like she is in pain. Not really sure what the reason is, so I will give the vet a call tomorrow. I'm really learning that there are so many ups and downs when it comes to sickness. Luckily I will have some family coming into town to help me out for the next few weeks.

hazelrunpack
May 17th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Oh, no! :( I hope the swelling is nothing serious! Maybe just some residual infection? Is she still on antibiotics?

Poor girl has had enough poking around in her mouth! You both need a break! :grouphug:

pbpatti
May 18th, 2011, 12:04 AM
:pray::goodvibes: Jasmine it is time to heal up baby, you can stop making your Mom worry so much. Cerena I hope that it is nothing serious and that Jasmine will heal very quickly. :pray: patti

Cerena
May 18th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Oh, no! :( I hope the swelling is nothing serious! Maybe just some residual infection? Is she still on antibiotics?

Poor girl has had enough poking around in her mouth! You both need a break! :grouphug:

I completely agree! She has had to deal with so much. I had to clean my house today, so I took Jasmine to my bf's house so I wouldn't terrify her with my vaccuum cleaner. Apparently she was whining for me and keep running to the door! Isn't that heartbreaking?! Poor girl!

Yes, she is still on antibiotics. Day 16 of 30, I believe. I hope it is nothing to worry about, I'm sure it is. But at the same time, I do not want her to get worse :(

:pray::goodvibes: Jasmine it is time to heal up baby, you can stop making your Mom worry so much. Cerena I hope that it is nothing serious and that Jasmine will heal very quickly. :pray: patti

Thank you so much for the well wishes, Patti. It means a lot :grouphug:

reanne
May 20th, 2011, 04:38 AM
How's her jaw?

Cerena
May 20th, 2011, 05:17 AM
How's her jaw?

A little swollen, but it's starting to get better, I think. One day at a time :fingerscr
Thanks reanne

Love4himies
May 20th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Sending lots of :goodvibes: her way :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
May 20th, 2011, 10:05 AM
I'm glad you're seeing a little improvement! Sending :goodvibes: for that to continue!!!

Cerena
May 22nd, 2011, 02:08 PM
Jasmine is doing much better! But I ran out of antibiotic today :S! and the vet hospitals are closed until Tuesday. She's to be on the antibiotic for 10 more days. I'm not too sure what to do.

Winston
May 22nd, 2011, 02:10 PM
Cerena I dont think it will matter til Tuesday! glad to hear your girl is doing much better!! :thumbs up

Cerena
May 22nd, 2011, 03:24 PM
Cerena I dont think it will matter til Tuesday! glad to hear your girl is doing much better!! :thumbs up

Merci, Winston! :goodvibes:

Cerena
June 4th, 2011, 02:01 AM
Jasmine update!
The antibiotic unfortunately did not work too well. Am going with Jasmine to the vet on Monday.

reanne
June 4th, 2011, 02:16 AM
Oh no :( I hope she will be okay!!!

mikischo
June 4th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that.:grouphug:

You mentioned on the 22nd that she appeared to be much better. Has it worsened since then or just not improved further? How is her appetite? Is she still eating and drinking well?

hazelrunpack
June 4th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Sorry to hear that she's not improving. :( Pls keep us posted on what the vet says! :grouphug: Sending lots of :goodvibes: for Jasmine!

Cerena
June 5th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the concern, everyone. It doesn't look great right now, hopefully nothing serious! But, I will give an update on Monday after I see the vet!

Jasmine's a tough girl! I'm curious to know what's up though!!

Cerena
June 7th, 2011, 01:33 AM
Jasmine update:

We saw the vet today. The vet was not happy with the state of her infection, so on Thursday she is going to do an oral swab, have the bacteria cultured, and from there be assigned a newer, more specific antibiotic.

Also, she's going to do a second T4 test to see if the lowered tapazole dosage puts her at a healthy T4 range.

I'll let you all know how Friday goes!

reanne
June 7th, 2011, 01:43 AM
Good luck!

Cerena
June 7th, 2011, 02:16 AM
Good luck! :highfive:Thanks!

hazelrunpack
June 7th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Hope the new meds will do the trick, Cerena! :goodvibes:

Cerena
June 9th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Update on Miss Jasmine.

Her T4 levels are awesome! I'm so happy the lowered dosage is working for her :)

I think I finally found a cat food she loves to eat (she's a picky girl) and she gobbles it up, so I'm very happy to see her eating properly!

And, I opted out of the $500 treatment for now with Jasmine (bone tissue removal + culture of bacteria). And instead, we are trying a new antibiotic (amoxicillin) which I hope will do the trick. Much less invasive, less costly, and, as told to me by the vet, a good antibiotic for bone infections!

I'll let you all know how she does.
:goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
June 10th, 2011, 12:04 AM
I hope the amoxicillin works for Jasmine! :goodvibes: Great news on the T4 levels! :highfive:

Cerena
June 17th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Hey everyone,

Quick update. Jasmine's mouth is healing very slow, if anything at all. She has been on the amoxicillin. She is also having trouble drinking water, so unfortunately I may have to supply her water via oral syringe.

Oddly enough, she is eating the dry food fine and does not want to eat the wet food.

I'm buying her a cone today to prevent her from scratching her mouth. Although her claws are clipped, she is scratching quite a bit. And this often leads to small cuts :(

hazelrunpack
June 17th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I'm sorry she's not healing faster. Must be very worrisome :grouphug: With luck the cone will help her heal. :goodvibes:

When is her next vet check?

Cerena
June 17th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I'm sorry she's not healing faster. Must be very worrisome :grouphug: With luck the cone will help her heal. :goodvibes:

When is her next vet check?

Three weeks from now. It's a bone infection, they are really nasty.
She's so cute with her little cone <3
She's doing a great job with it! I know it must feel uncomfortable but my mom is in town and she is brushing/cuddling with her to make Jasmine feel more comfortable.

Jasmine's such a strong girl. She has been so patient with all of the meds/vet checks/procedures/etc.

Just goes to show you how no one should ever take their health for granted.

Thanks for the kind words <3

chico2
June 17th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Awww,poor little Jasmine,it certainly looks nasty and sore:(
I have read all your posts,but since I had no advice to give,did not reply..
I :pray:that your brave little girl will recover from this:pray:

hazelrunpack
June 17th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Aw, there's the sweet girl! :lovestruck: She does look sore, poor baby! Hurry up and heal, Jasmine! :goodvibes:

reanne
June 18th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Aw your poor little girl. I home the amoxicillin clears her up. Did they consider putting her on something stronger? Bone infections can be tricky. Sending her some pets and hugs!!!

aws1
June 19th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Really praying for little Jasmine she is a fighter and you as well.:pray:

Cerena
June 20th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Thanks everyone for your help :)

Aw your poor little girl. I home the amoxicillin clears her up. Did they consider putting her on something stronger? Bone infections can be tricky. Sending her some pets and hugs!!!

Hey reanne, I looked up osteomyelitis and saw that some children get treated for it via injection to the site of infection. Should I inquire about this? Right now jasmine is just ingestion the medication.

Honestly, I'm starting to get very worried about Jasmine. And just trying to enjoy my time with her.

Very discouraging. It's very difficult.

hazelrunpack
June 20th, 2011, 10:18 AM
It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask about a different delivery method for the antibiotics, Cerena. If it's an available option, it might be worth a try.

Give your beautiful girl a hug from me, pls.

Cerena
June 21st, 2011, 12:58 AM
It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask about a different delivery method for the antibiotics, Cerena. If it's an available option, it might be worth a try.

Give your beautiful girl a hug from me, pls.

Done! Thanks, Hazel, for all the support! You have been wonderful <3

reanne
June 21st, 2011, 03:32 AM
I agree to ask about other options. In the hospital a person would be treated with IV antibiotics but I'm not sure about in veterinary medicine. On people they will usually try and find out what organism(s) is/are growing and then tailor the antibiotics to that. I didn't think that oral antibiotics were effective on bone BUT I could be totally WRONG on that so don't quote me on it. IV antibiotics are definitely more effective-but the cost of that would be significantly more for you. Also, I know nothing about cat physiology so it might be totally different than with people.

I really feel for you! You must be so stressed. And also Jasmine. She must be in a lot of pain-she seems to be handling it pretty well. She is probably very stoic and maybe has a pretty high pain tolerance (hopefully she does!). It is so frustrating to be doing everything you can and not see much improvement. I really hope she will heal up soon!

Cerena
June 23rd, 2011, 01:07 AM
I am so sad to say that I received horrible news from the vet today.
I will miss my Jasmine very much.

Thank you everyone for your wishes, support, and amazing advice through everything.
:pawprint:

growler~GateKeeper
June 23rd, 2011, 01:25 AM
I'm so sorry Cerena :2huggers:

chico2
June 23rd, 2011, 08:21 AM
Cerena,I am so very sorry for the loss of your girl:(
:rip:little Jasmine:angel2:

hazelrunpack
June 23rd, 2011, 09:41 AM
Oh, Cerena, I'm so sorry :grouphug: Jasmine was so lucky to have had you. She couldn't have asked for a better mom. :2huggers:

We're here if you need to talk.

:candle: Jasmine

Cerena
June 23rd, 2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks everyone <3
I still have a tiny bit of time before we both say goodbye to each other.
I will make a post for her on that day.
Until then I'm taking some time off to be with her.
I wish so badly that things were different. I truly love Jasmine. I couldn't have asked for a better friend.

hazelrunpack
June 23rd, 2011, 10:31 AM
I'm glad you have a little time yet. :2huggers: I know you'll cherish each and every second of it.

You're both in my thoughts and prayers :grouphug:

Cerena
June 23rd, 2011, 09:24 PM
Had to say goodbye to Jasmine today.
I'll miss her terribly.
She made my life a joy.

Winston
June 23rd, 2011, 10:04 PM
Cerena I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my precious boy last July. I am still heart broken but yet I have some peace in knowing he is not suffering anymore.

I will cherish all of my memories and I know you will too!

If you need us we are here for you! we all understand the grief.

You can be sure your gal is running free of pain at the Rainbow Bridge where she will wait to be reunited with you.

:rip::cat: Jasmine :candle:

mikischo
June 23rd, 2011, 10:12 PM
Cerena, I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet girl.:grouphug:

:candle: Run free, sweet :angel2: Jasmine :cat: :candle:

hazelrunpack
June 23rd, 2011, 11:53 PM
:2huggers:

:candle: Jasmine

growler~GateKeeper
June 24th, 2011, 12:01 AM
:rip: sweet :angel2: Jasmine :candle: She is playing at the Rainbow Bridge (http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html) with those who've gone before :candle: :grouphug:

Cerena
June 27th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Thanks everyone for your very kind words. She has been resting for 4 days now. And, I thought it would be incredibly difficult to not have her around. But what I have come to realize is that each day the last couple of months that she has been getting increasingly sicker, it was like I said bye to a little bit of Jasmine each day without realizing it.

I am thankful I will always be able to look back at this thread because I documented every stage of Jasmine's illness here. And her condition along the way.

I'm also thankful my mother has been here with me at the house and my boyfriend is just a 5 minute ride away.

I am in peace knowing that Jasmine's suffering is over. It will take a while to be myself again. But I miss my little Siberian <3

reanne
June 28th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Cerena, I'm so sorry to hear of Jasmine's passing, sending you many hugs! Sorry I didn't reply before, I was gone away.

I am happy that you feel better that she is not suffering anymore. And you can take solace in the fact that you did everything you could for Jasmine-she was a lucky girl to have you, and you were lucky to have her. Maybe you will decided again sometime to have a kitty in your life-not to replace Jasmine, but to bring you a different furry love and companionship.

It's good that your Mom is around and your boyfriend nearby. The pain doesn't go away, but it will get less sharp with time.

Cerena
June 29th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Cerena, I'm so sorry to hear of Jasmine's passing, sending you many hugs! Sorry I didn't reply before, I was gone away.

I am happy that you feel better that she is not suffering anymore. And you can take solace in the fact that you did everything you could for Jasmine-she was a lucky girl to have you, and you were lucky to have her. Maybe you will decided again sometime to have a kitty in your life-not to replace Jasmine, but to bring you a different furry love and companionship.

It's good that your Mom is around and your boyfriend nearby. The pain doesn't go away, but it will get less sharp with time.

Hi Reanne. First I just want to thank you for being so caring through this, just like so many others who have contributed on the thread. And for giving great advice along the way. I will never, ever forget my little Jasmine. And I am happy I was such a nut and bought a nikon camera just so I could take photos of her. I have so many. So any time I am sad, or gloomy about her, I can watch our videos or look at the photos :) And I close my eyes and I feel like she is with me. My sweet Jasmine :cat:

I am very excited and happy to say that I will most definitely get a new kitten in the near future. I know a very nice family that has siberian cats fairly close by and I am conversing with them about getting a new little girl. This would be in the next few weeks or even months. I know that I will need a companion after my mother leaves and I am all alone in this big house. I have four full bay windows (a big reason why the house was bought in the first place!) and these are just amazing for indoor cats.

The new girl would and could not ever replace Jasmine. Just like you said, we would build a new friendship. And, with time, grow to love one another. I have always built relationships easily with animals and I am nervous about getting a new kitten (I actually have never had a kitten before - Jasmine was around 3.5 years old when I got her!) but I also feel like I missed out on that part with Jasmine. And look forward to being around a mini Jasmine-like creature :)