April 4th, 2011, 06:22 PM
My Baby Bonkers, also known as Mulder is in heat now and yes I am going to spay her, tomorrow I'll call the vet, I just want to wait for the heat to go away for a few days to spay. I know it can be done while in heat but I'd rather wait a few days, she's indoors so my Queenie is not getting any consort!
Now I've noticed ever since all this heat issue started she has changed. She used to like EVERYTHING and Scully was the picky one, now I don't know what to give her anymore. What she accepts more is "Go" dry food, she doesn't want her EVO 95% canned, I've tried other brands as well and no. She IS hungry though (which is a good thing) she just doesn't want what I give her, today I even tried sardines and she ate one that was it, but at least she is still having the dry "go" trout flavour.
She doesn't have a hairball problem either like Scully and she asks me for food but nothing I give her seems to be appealing :shrug:
I guess I'll have to stick to the dry food for now, it's grain free as well but could this be related to her being in heat?
April 4th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Being in heat can really mess with cats and dogs.. as long as she is eating that's all I'd worry about. There really isn't a difference in cats being in heat when being spayed... you generally can't even tell when the cat is opened up.. it's not like dogs at all. I'd say you are better off just doing it ASAP... that lessens the chances of your kitty developing a pyometra. Waiting a few days really isn't going to make any difference.. Also she might actually have a pyometra now and that makes cats and dogs not want to eat when they get one, and it mimics the symptoms of heat. Is she lethargic at all? Pyo's can kill an otherwise healthy cat or dog in under a week if left untreated. The only treatment is a spay, and most vets offices are going to charge an addition fee and you also will probably be sent home with meds.
April 4th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Never thought about the pyometra, that's some scary stuff, you're right there are many risks involving the heat cycles. Well she's playful as usual though but yes I know I need to spay her really soon. I'm calling the vet tomorrow as planned. She never ate the second sardine :wall: But I'm going to give her the dry food she likes now. It has good quality and will keep her good for now.
April 4th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Yeah I mean if she is being fussy that's fine, but if she is really not eating the same QUANTITY of food compared to before, I'd be worried about a possibly pyo. I'd see if you can get her in to get spayed this week just to be on the safe side. In dogs I'll tend to agree with those that don't want to spay while in heat just because it does cause a tiny tiny tiny bit more bleeding compared to a regular spay, but with cats there is no difference honestly, the uterus size is mostly the same. When cats are in heat it is a bit different, they don't really "swell" up inside like dogs.. they are induced ovulaters and whatnot. There really aren't any additional risks.
Better now than later.. waiting longer only increases the risks of cancers, pyos etc. Please dealing with a kitty in heat is no fun :o
April 4th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I know, no fun for me and no fun for her either, poor girl she seems confused hehe I will get her spayed this week. I don't like that she's not eating the same as before, so the sooner the vet checks her the better and also spaying.
Oh I wove my fluffy baby, she's fluffy like a cabagge, she's so small, Scully is bigger. (well she's still normal size just on the short side XD)
Thanks for the advice. I'll get that done really soon.
April 5th, 2011, 11:47 AM
1 by 1 she ended up eating the whole can :highfive:
Step 2: Spay time