Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Three different parks, 3 dead dogs!

Etown_Chick
March 30th, 2011, 07:08 PM
:yell:
OMG Now three different, perfectly health dogs have convulsed and died after going to three different off-leash dog parks in Edmonton.
Buena Vista by the zoo has had several get sick,and one died Monday am.
Terwillegar, the biggest park and mine, Grand Trunk, both had a dog die yesterday.
One vet treated several of the dogs and said only a toxin would cause these symptoms. I don't know the details of the one from my park,except that it was healthy, it was there, and a few hours later it was dead!
At first the police were not going to investigate,but now it appears they have no choice.
I don't know for sure what's going on,if it even IS poison, but I sure as hell hope I"m not here in a week or two telling you all that Scruffy died a horrible death!

Melinda
March 30th, 2011, 07:13 PM
wow, that is terrible, I think I'd be staying away from any dogs parks in that area for awhile

Loki Love
March 30th, 2011, 07:21 PM
That's horrible! :mad:

SamIam
March 30th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Etown_Chick, do you know any of the trainers in Edmonton, active or retired, who work with either police or security dogs? If you do, appeal to them for help. All of their dogs are poison-proofed, they can offer public instruction on it and help people to protect their dogs.

Goldfields
March 30th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I can see how dog parks would attract sickos who like to poison dogs, but even so, you just wouldn't expect it. I pity those poor dogs and their owners. :( Muzzling dogs would be the only way perhaps for them to be safe?

cell
March 30th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I have thought about this too, basket muzzling dogs just to keep them from eating things. I have considered it once or twice for Leo, he will try and eat anything that smells remotely tasty.

they need to do autopsies on these dogs to see if it was poison or something that became toxic after spending a winter under snow.

Etown_Chick
March 30th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I'd muzzle Scruff but all he wants in the whole world is to play fetch at teh park!
This is really make me think about poison-proofing him.
SamIam I will be looking into this - thanks for the idea.
GAH! I hate these sickos!

Goldfields
March 30th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Cell, the fact that it happened at 3 different parks is ringing alarm bells for me, but then I don't know the sort of problems snow brings about. Hope no more doggy lives are lost.

pbpatti
March 30th, 2011, 10:06 PM
ETown, this is really alarming to hear, I have been to Laurier and Terwilliger, I take Sasha and Buddy to Big Bear Park which is somewhat opposite of Terwilliger and since these person/s are going from one side of the city to another I am thinking of staying away from Big Bear now. :shrug:

Melinda, these parks are all distant from each other, from the north side to the west to the southwest of Edmonton...... :confused: patti

cell
March 30th, 2011, 10:13 PM
far thought, but was there ever salt put down in the parks? or anything that could leech into the melt and be drunk by the dog?

pbpatti
March 30th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Not the park that I go to....patti

Etown_Chick
March 30th, 2011, 11:30 PM
They don't use any salt (there are no sidewalks, all grass and dirt). Snow is melting to maybe there is some sort of mold or fungus from all this moisture this year...doesn't make sense that someone is doing this at far ends of the city

hazelrunpack
March 31st, 2011, 12:25 PM
What a nightmare!! I hope they figure out what's going on soon! Meanwhile, praying for everyone's safety!! :pray: :grouphug: