Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What silly quirks do your dogs have?

Melinda
March 29th, 2011, 10:36 AM
do they turn around exactly 4 times before they lay down? etc.

Brina has a few, she won't or rarely drinks water inside the house even though she has two bowls that are changed daily, once she eats she asks to be let outside so she can drink from her heated bowl......its the same darn water!!

her other "quirk" that I know is a learned habit, in the morning I go out to get my newspapers, by the time I get back she is sitting nicely at the table, I have to line up two cookies, she takes one into the front room to eat then comes out for the second, when thats done she comes back out, backs up her butt to me for a good scratching...why does she do this you ask? *L* because she does not allow me to read my papers in peace!!!!! I am not allowed to sit at the table for some reason in the mornings, its fine during the day when I'm on the laptop, but for some reason mornings are hers I guess, its 5 am and I don't want her waking up hubby with her "grumbling" when I sit, so I started giving her two cookies....now is a habit.

Marty11
March 29th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Since I am the first one up. I try to feed my dogs breakie little later just so they aren't so demanding first thing :D They have decided to play very loudly and just to keep the noise down as to not wake everyone up they get fed :laughing: I guess they figured it out......LOL

Melinda
March 29th, 2011, 10:55 AM
so like Brina, who has who trained *L*

erykah1310
March 29th, 2011, 11:23 AM
In my sleep Meiko will decide it is time for a petting so he will wedge his pointy nose between my face and my pillow around 3 am and start flipping my head off the pillow until I reach over and just touch him. Then he goes back to sleep.
He may be reassuring himself that I am still alive... not sure though. And he only does this to me not my man.

Kita, is a weird quirk, seems as soon as Big bang theory is on she knows I like this show a lot and she will stand up on me on the couch just to make sure I see her as well.

Karma will not eat her food until all the others have eaten ever.

Marv, when he thinks you are not paying attention to him he will grab you by the shirt and start tugging on it.

Tibby when she gets excited does this bizarre whine, she does another similar one when she is uncomfortable in her current situation (which is very hard to hear)

miss Fe, as soon as I go in the pasture with them for the morning check up ( making sure no one injured themselves through out the night) she insists it is time for lovins. She will walk straight up to you putting her nose on your nose then flipping her lips out (smelling my breath i guess) this is our "kisses" which she almost does on command now. Once we are done with our weird make out session she will rest her head sort of sideways on my shoulder as if to hug. Once we have finished this routine she quickly runs back out with the herd and re inforces that she is still the boss mare even though she has a soft side with me.

Dog Dancer
March 29th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Awww, how cute are those stories. I love how softy Miss Fe is. Yes we have our dogs trained. Although I don't know how Shadow got trained with her weird habit.... After their night time walk each dog gets a cookie. Halo being a lab swallows hers whole where she stands basically. Shadow though, takes hers and runs (not walks) but runs at a good trot around the house. From the kitchen to the living room, down the hallway to the bedroom, back to the kitchen, back to the living room, etc... repeat two more times... then stop in the living room and eat the cookie. DH and I just laugh every time. Like Meiko, every now and then, Halo will wake me in the middle of the night by standing by me and crying ever so softly, and all she wants is a quick cuddle then she happily goes back to bed. It melts my heart when she does that! Sometimes when Shadow is out for a walk too, she'll stop dead in her tracks and when you turn to see what's going on she'll put her paws up on your shoulders and sorta lean into you for a hug, then she's happy to carry on the walk. She doesn't do that much anymore now that she has arthritis though, now she just waits for you to give her a hug. Gotta love our pups and other pets that just want lovins! :cloud9:

free
March 29th, 2011, 02:59 PM
melinda beau is like brina in that he doesn't like me to read a newspaper or do the crossword. he barks at me to play ball the whole time i have the paper so i read it standing up.

Melinda
March 29th, 2011, 03:12 PM
oh I've done the "standing up to read my paper" bit too free *L*

Floppy Dog
March 29th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Lady has several quirks.

When we go for off-leash walks, she'll run ahead, throw one ear over the top of her head (she's a cocker spaniel) and look back over her shoulder to see if we're coming, then take off again. She will also sit on my chair in the living room and look out at the footbridge that accesses the public trail outside our house, and bark like mad when someone crosses "her" bridge. We call this the "troll under the bridge" routine.

If Crush doesn't think he's getting enough attention, he'll jump on someone's lap and but his head under your hand until you pet him. He also yowls madly infront of my daughter's bedroom door to be let in at 6 am so he can crawl under her covers.

Dogastrophe
March 29th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Lucy always has to find a bone or toy to show everyone who comes into the house. Once they acknowledge that it is a nice bone/toy, she will head to main room and chew on it. On weekends, if we are not awake by 8ish, she will stand near a wall and bang her tail progressively louder until we get up, if we pretend not to hear her, she pulls her blanket out of the crate, hauls it into another room, then returns to bang her tail some more.

On what he figures is the last alarm of the morning, Jack will walk up the bed beside me and plop himself onto my pillow, regardless of where my head may be. He also always gives two or three sharp barks when he goes down the stairs in the morning.

pattymac
March 29th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Bayley has to bring me something when I get home. Usually one of my slippers but if I've put them up, she'll bring me a sock. She doesn't really do anything else quirky. my dog is boring..guess she figures she can't compete with the cat antics, she's kinda outnumbered.

Dee-O-Gee
March 29th, 2011, 10:10 PM
OMG!!! You got time for a book? :laughing:

Mollie/Gryphon quirk; Both Mollie and Gryphon lay outside the bathroom door while I have a shower. When I open the door, Mollie comes into the bathroom and licks my freshly washed legs and when I blow dry my hair, Gryphon tries to attack the blow dryer! :frustrated:

Mollie quirk; My blackberry has a music folder called "Walk Songs" and the very first song that comes on is Jimmy Buffet's "It's 5 o'clock somewhere." She could be in a dead sleep in a totally different room but if I tune into the walk song album, she goes berzerk when she hears Jimmy Buffet! :crazy:

kwilli
March 29th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Monty: when you are sitting and you ask him to sit, he likes to turn around and sit with his back to you, sitting on your feet. Only dog I know whose tail wags all through his meal... guess eating really really makes him happy! I taught him "bang bang you're dead"... he flops down... but while he is lying down "dead", his tail is wagging and thumping (obviously he is very excited about the treat he is about to eat!)... actually makes the trick quite funny!

Luna: like any pyr, she has a set route in the backyard to investigate "her" yard. Lately... she watches the birds... and runs around as they fly by and barks and jumps. she's landed on her butt a couple of times!

angeldogs
March 30th, 2011, 01:07 AM
With jag when ever we play ball as soon as he gets back to me he does a circle and the sticks his head between my legs and drops the ball or flicks it with his nose same if i'm sitting.

With ginger if we ruff house or tell off when she jumps on the couch she will go at jag.

As soon as i'm into watching a show or a good movie they have to play right where i'm sitting bumping into me or mouthing each other well trying to rest their heads on my leg.and start making really loud vocal noise.as soon as i stop watching tv they stop.drives me nutty when they do it.

Inthedoghouse
March 30th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I laughed at some of the things your pets do.... I thought my Lucy was weird... sometimes, she will turn around in a circle twenty times before bedding down on my bed - makes me giddy just watching her; she likes to rip a toy apart and then plays with a 2 inch square of fabric for about a week - chewing it like chewing gum and getting right in my face with it... then runs away and wants me to chase her and get it out of her mouth. There are other funny things she does.... she really makes us laugh .... although my daughter was not laughing when she took her for a walk in Toronto without her gentle leader on: will tell you about it later.

Mirela
March 30th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Leo absolutely needs a belly rub first thing in the morning.
He goes through a very specific series of stretches then flops on his back for the scritches. Only after that can we go out for the morning walk and...other duties. :)
Guess he has his own set of priorities :laughing:

BenMax
March 30th, 2011, 11:18 AM
When I ask my min/pin chi to give me a hug...she puts her little pencil front legs around my neck and tucks her head under my chin...:lovestruck: (Best hugs EVER!):thumbs up

CsqU4r3d
March 30th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Whenever Chum spots his 2 buddies from across the street going for their twice daily walks, he lets out a real high pitched bark( a special bark he only uses just for Kobe and Princess)....launches off the couch turning a complete circle while airborne...does 3 real quick spins when he lands and runs to the front door. We refer to it as the whirling dervish!! :crazy::laughing::clown:

Goldfields
March 30th, 2011, 10:41 PM
One of my angels from the past, Beejay, used to love playing ball. However, with cattle dogs being power chewers, balls didn't last long. Now, she didn't want to play fetch with a whole ball, or even half a ball, she would bring me tiny pieces of a ball, sometimes not even as big as my little finger nail, push it carefully onto my knee, and of course when I threw this 'ball' she'd have to find it by scent seeing it just disappeared into the grass. :) She always did find it. Clever girl.
She wasn't fixated on tiny things though because if I picked up a small downy feather that fell off a bird, and showed it to her, she would freak out. She'd shy right away from it.

ownedbycats
March 31st, 2011, 07:46 AM
Sunshine likes to greet my dad by (gently) grabbing his hand in her mouth. She only does it to him, and only once he has said "okay". She sits in front of him, front feet bouncing, roo-ing in excitement until he "notices" her and lets her take his hand.

dashn'us
March 31st, 2011, 08:33 AM
These are all giving me a good laugh :)

Once dash gets let out to go the the bathroom, he comes inside and stands on his hind legs with his two front feet on the table. Because he has learned that on top of our table is where the cookies are. He's so cute. He stares at you like "come on Mom, where is it?"

Goldfields
March 31st, 2011, 10:12 AM
I hope I'm allowed to comment on more than one of my quirky dogs? Dundee has a habit of coming straight to me in the office if Ian lets him out of the kitchen, then he puts both front feet on my lap and looks around, like "where is it? Show it to me again, please". I have a stuffed toy, a cattle dog puppy, up on the book case, and every time he has to have another look and a smell of it. LOL. ADD maybe? :)

Melinda
March 31st, 2011, 10:17 AM
awwww *L* thats cute, I love reading all of these

angeldogs
March 31st, 2011, 10:19 AM
One of my angels from the past, Beejay, used to love playing ball. However, with cattle dogs being power chewers, balls didn't last long. Now, she didn't want to play fetch with a whole ball, or even half a ball, she would bring me tiny pieces of a ball, sometimes not even as big as my little finger nail, push it carefully onto my knee, and of course when I threw this 'ball' she'd have to find it by scent seeing it just disappeared into the grass. :) She always did find it. Clever girl.
She wasn't fixated on tiny things though because if I picked up a small downy feather that fell off a bird, and showed it to her, she would freak out. She'd shy right away from it.
:laughing:a friend of my used to dog sit a gsd like that.a real sweet heart.she would bring you a stem from a leaf wanting you to throw it.or anything small.

Goldfields
March 31st, 2011, 11:07 AM
:laughing:a friend of my used to dog sit a gsd like that.a real sweet heart.she would bring you a stem from a leaf wanting you to throw it.or anything small.
Exactly.:laughing: And those tiny gifts are so small you can't even throw them properly. :D Funny thing was that she'd be just as excited about that as my current female is about a big black Kong. :rolleyes:
Oh, it is nice to remember dogs from the past, this is a wonderful thread. All your dogs have made me laugh.

hazelrunpack
March 31st, 2011, 01:19 PM
Hmmmm...all of our dogs are so well adjusted they have no quirks... :o NOT!! :laughing:

I can't think of them all, and no room to post them all, but I'll share a few.

When Cass comes to bed late and realizes her 'prime real estate' (curled up by hubby's head) is taken, she'll bop the bedroom door with her nose so it bumps against the wall. She'll keep it up for hours if hubby doesn't get up and clear 'her' spot and cuddle with her. :D Of course, this always happens at about 2 in the morning. :rolleyes: He never gets mad, though...just gets up and makes sure she's comfy. (maybe this is more a hubby quirk than a Cass quirk :laughing:)

Grace always has to circle and scrape, circle and scrape, lower herself down on a bed with one of her hind legs suspended in mid twirl...no that's not good enough...circle and scrape, circle and scrape, lower herself down with that leg up...no, still not good enough... You get the drift. :laughing: Eventually, she'll scrape the soft pad right off the kuranda bed, push it into a little ball, circle and scrape, then plop down on it where it's landed on the floor! But it can't be nearly as comfy as it would if she were still up on the kuranda with it. :D

Goldfields
March 31st, 2011, 08:44 PM
Wish that everyone's hubby had a quirk like yours does, Hazel. What a good guy. A real keeper. Cass trained him well btw. :laughing:
Grace and my Mattie are a pair. He dives into his bed like it's the best thing he's seen all day, then makes a total mess of it. :D

angeldogs
April 1st, 2011, 01:29 AM
One quirk jag had in the truck i had my cb mic on a mic keeper so it would just hang there.when he would start bouncing or rocking in the seat when we would stop i wouldn't open the door till he settled.he would always give the mic a flick with his nose and get it swinging before he would settle down.