Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why are some dog owners so stupid

mastifflover
March 29th, 2011, 08:41 AM
okay I need to rant. And it will be long. As some of you know Clark is a work in progress so Patti had sent me some info on tellington touch and I have been trying it. We have been using it and making some progress. Two days ago we were out for or walk and this idiot comes into the park not an off leash, with her dog off leash. I yell over could you put your dog on a leash she ignores me. I have seen her there before with no leash. Of course her dog is not properly trained and her way of getting the dog back is to make a big spectacle of herself jumping up and down and yelling at the dog in baby talk. Need I say more. Then her dog that weighs about 15 -20 pounds comes running at Clark and of course he sees this as a threat and goes crazy lunging and barking and I am yelling at her get your dog and she does the jumping and baby talk thing. I get Clark under control and tie him up and walk over to her and ask her to put the dog on a leash it is not an off leash park she refuses and while I am talking to her the dog goes running over barking at Clark I tell her to call her dog before it gets seriously injured or killed. She does the jumping thing again. Meanwhile I am tearing across the park to get to Clark who is going nuts again. Luckily the dog only got a nip from Clark and then she starts freaking at me and her boyfriend comes into the park and sees this and runs over and kicks Clark in the face. I loose it and tell him if he ever comes near him again I will let him off the leash and he can fend for himself. Clark is okay a little freaked out but no injury. He yells at me that I am paying the vet bill I told him his dog should be on a leash and if not it should be trained if off leash. It is getting a bit heated and I see a cop and run out and hail him down. I explain what has happened and he listens and I look in the back seat and there is a dog. He walks over and tells them about leash laws and they are responsible for the dog not me. He tells them it would not have happened if the dog was on a leash as it should be and the boyfriend gets mouthy and he writes down their names and said he will report the incident to AC. He proceeds to yell at them to put a leash on the dog because they keep refusing to leash the dog. They finally do and he comes back over and I explain about Clark and his issues, he gets it and leaves. They then let the dog off the leash again and the boyfriend starts to come over to me as I am leaving with a very freaked out dog. As he gets to where I am Clark goes crazy he wants this guy and I want to let him off the leash but of course I don't and keep walking dragging Clark with me. The cops comes back around the block and jumps out of his cruiser when he sees the guy yelling at me while I'm walking away. Gets in his face and asks me if I want to press charges for threatening I pause and say not this time but if it happens again. I just wanted to get Clark home. He spots the dog off leash again and takes down all the info and says he will be reporting the incident to AC and they can expect a ticket for dog off leash. So all the progress we have made is gone Clark is back to day 1. This has not been an easy road with Clark and I really was starting to see a marked improvement in him. He was not lunging at people and was paying more attention to me when I needed him to focus. Well this morning it was like he had gone back to his old ways and has lost his focus on me. I am so mad about this I have been at it for a couple of months and we were making baby steps. Sorry had to bitch and moan about it thanks

Marty11
March 29th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Oh Robin I can relate. I had a mastiff that lunged at small dogs. I couldn't believe when we went for a walk on "short leash" to have more control, how many dogs were loose on their front property and we had to put our mastiff in a down stay very aggressively while we yelled at the owner to call their dog back, before she hurt or even killed them. :wall: Just keep working on it, and stay away from that person if you can. They won't get it till something happens. It's now turned into conflict between humans :frustrated:

Melinda
March 29th, 2011, 08:53 AM
man I don't know how you stayed sane, poor Clark, is there any other park you can go to?

marko
March 29th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Wow. Crazy story. Hope Clark is okay
...Hope that idiot guy that kicked him has been neutered or is sterile or he wins a Darwin award one day.

I think I would have pressed charges here.

One thing that IMPRESSES me here is that the cops came back because they likely sensed that this guy is a loser. :highfive: Mr policeman.

BenMax
March 29th, 2011, 10:07 AM
This has happened to me when I had Max. The guy smacked him across the head for humping his dog. I in turn whipped the idiot with my dog leash. (I do not recommend this...it could have backfired and I could have been prosecuted with assault).

Next time dear friend..don't be so kind. If ever you see this dog off leash contact the authorities immediately. This could cost your dog his life if Clark gets this dog and/or the guy. Dogs don't forget.

Sorry this happened to you.:grouphug:

Loki Love
March 29th, 2011, 10:32 AM
What a horrific experience. I think I would have pressed charges as well. I sure hope you never run into them again!

mastifflover
March 30th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Marty Clark is my crazy American Bulldog, Buddy (English Mastiff)RIP was the best dog I have ever owned even after the abuse he endured was a love bucket. I adopted Clark a while after Bud passed he was a rehome where he bit a child it was the parents fault you do not leave a toddler alone with a dog and a bone. I think now I regret not pressing charges but I was more concerned about getting him home since he was so stressed. But I am most definitely back to square one in modifying his behaviour. I will be taking my phone with me all the time, I now have AC on speed dial. Luckily the cops cruise the area regularly.

Shaykeija
March 30th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Give Clark a cuddle for me. Right you are about how stupid some people can be and are.

rainbow
March 30th, 2011, 12:31 AM
What an ordeal for you and Clark. :( :grouphug:

Glad the cop was there at the right moment :thumbs up but too bad you didn't lay charges since the guy seemed like such a jerk. :loser:

Is there another place you can take Clark until he refocuses himself on you again? :fingerscr

Goldfields
March 30th, 2011, 04:24 AM
I'd have pressed charges too, Loki Love, especially seeing the bf kicked Clark. I'd be like BenMax if that was my dog, likely to be prosecuted because I know my temper would get the better of me, but having said that, Robin did do everything right. I admire your restraint, Robin. :) What a darn shame though, such a nasty experience for your poor dog.

Longblades
March 30th, 2011, 11:57 AM
That wasn't a bitch or moan. That was justifiable outrage. I have nothing but admiration for the way you kept your cool. That guy sounds like he might have posed a threat to you. I agree with whoever up above said don't wait next time, call authorities right away, Clark could have been in danger and you too.

Gee, and how many times have I thought, "where's a cop when you want one." Yay for him.

Sew-sew-steve
March 30th, 2011, 01:04 PM
okay I need to rant. And it will be long. As some of you know Clark is a work in progress so Patti had sent me some info on tellington touch and I have been trying it. We have been using it and making some progress. Two days ago we were out for or walk and this idiot comes into the park not an off leash, with her dog off leash. I yell over could you put your dog on a leash she ignores me. I have seen her there before with no leash. Of course her dog is not properly trained and her way of getting the dog back is to make a big spectacle of herself jumping up and down and yelling at the dog in baby talk. Need I say more. Then her dog that weighs about 15 -20 pounds comes running at Clark and of course he sees this as a threat and goes crazy lunging and barking and I am yelling at her get your dog and she does the jumping and baby talk thing. I get Clark under control and tie him up and walk over to her and ask her to put the dog on a leash it is not an off leash park she refuses and while I am talking to her the dog goes running over barking at Clark I tell her to call her dog before it gets seriously injured or killed. She does the jumping thing again. Meanwhile I am tearing across the park to get to Clark who is going nuts again. Luckily the dog only got a nip from Clark and then she starts freaking at me and her boyfriend comes into the park and sees this and runs over and kicks Clark in the face. I loose it and tell him if he ever comes near him again I will let him off the leash and he can fend for himself. Clark is okay a little freaked out but no injury. He yells at me that I am paying the vet bill I told him his dog should be on a leash and if not it should be trained if off leash. It is getting a bit heated and I see a cop and run out and hail him down. I explain what has happened and he listens and I look in the back seat and there is a dog. He walks over and tells them about leash laws and they are responsible for the dog not me. He tells them it would not have happened if the dog was on a leash as it should be and the boyfriend gets mouthy and he writes down their names and said he will report the incident to AC. He proceeds to yell at them to put a leash on the dog because they keep refusing to leash the dog. They finally do and he comes back over and I explain about Clark and his issues, he gets it and leaves. They then let the dog off the leash again and the boyfriend starts to come over to me as I am leaving with a very freaked out dog. As he gets to where I am Clark goes crazy he wants this guy and I want to let him off the leash but of course I don't and keep walking dragging Clark with me. The cops comes back around the block and jumps out of his cruiser when he sees the guy yelling at me while I'm walking away. Gets in his face and asks me if I want to press charges for threatening I pause and say not this time but if it happens again. I just wanted to get Clark home. He spots the dog off leash again and takes down all the info and says he will be reporting the incident to AC and they can expect a ticket for dog off leash. So all the progress we have made is gone Clark is back to day 1. This has not been an easy road with Clark and I really was starting to see a marked improvement in him. He was not lunging at people and was paying more attention to me when I needed him to focus. Well this morning it was like he had gone back to his old ways and has lost his focus on me. I am so mad about this I have been at it for a couple of months and we were making baby steps. Sorry had to bitch and moan about it thanks

i definitely would have been swinging at that point.

how dumb do you gotta be to just take some over the top action like that without first trying to calm the situation down and understand it and control it.

hazelrunpack
March 31st, 2011, 11:20 AM
Oh, no, Robin :( Yep, there are all kinds of idjits out there! :yell:

How much of a set-back for Clark do you think this will be? Is he coming around again yet? :fingerscr

Since you had a police officer witness the event, can you press charges after the fact? You maybe can't smarten the guy up, but you can sure make him think twice about losing it like that again!

Hope Clark settles down quickly for you :grouphug: :goodvibes:

Tundra_Queen
April 1st, 2011, 01:37 AM
Marty Clark is my crazy American Bulldog, Buddy (English Mastiff)RIP was the best dog I have ever owned even after the abuse he endured was a love bucket. I adopted Clark a while after Bud passed he was a rehome where he bit a child it was the parents fault you do not leave a toddler alone with a dog and a bone. I think now I regret not pressing charges but I was more concerned about getting him home since he was so stressed. But I am most definitely back to square one in modifying his behaviour. I will be taking my phone with me all the time, I now have AC on speed dial. Luckily the cops cruise the area regularly.

I'm sure that u could still press charges. All u have to do is call AC and tell them about the police officer that saw what happened to Clark and U in the park. Find out from them the officer's name and u would also be able to give ac the date it happened.

Once u find the name of the officer call the cop shop and ask to speak to him. He will remember u and he should have the guys name too. As he would of had to file a report.

Inthedoghouse
April 1st, 2011, 02:21 PM
put post in wrong section

mummummum
April 1st, 2011, 04:22 PM
Any results from AC yet Mastifflover? I too am impressed by the actions of he Police Officer. Having had similar problems with Thick-As-A-Stump owners in Toronto I can commiserate. I'd like to say I've been impressed with follow-up by Animal Services in Toronto but, I can't ~ not even when I was bitten and they had multiple complaints about a particular dog. They may be understaffed but, I've never found them ~ as a whole ~ particularly responsive.

I hope things have improved with Clark and he's able to regain his focus.

chico2
April 1st, 2011, 04:49 PM
ML,I am so sorry this happened to you and Clark,I know you have worked really hard with him and never gave up on him.
Hopefully you can get back to the good place you were with him:pray:
It was probably a good thing you were able to keep your cool with this jerk,I would probably go ballistic if anyone kicked my dog/cat,but that would not help at all.
Glad the police-officer was around to help:thumbs up

hedgiemama
April 1st, 2011, 05:54 PM
I hope Clark will make progress back to where he was quickly. Some people just really shouldnt own animals. You should really try to press charges if you can!!

pbpatti
April 2nd, 2011, 04:54 PM
:frustrated:ahhhh, there is one in every crowd :mad:, sorry you will need to begin anew however, the work you have been doing may just be enough that it will not be a big set back...:fingerscr. Are you doing mouthwork and earwork?

Wish I could teach you the balance leash, it will help you another trick in your toolbox to control Clark from lunging at others. Keep doing what you are doing, try to keep yourself as calm as possible when you come across Clark's triggers. I know, I know, easier said then done ;) patti

mummummum
April 2nd, 2011, 05:01 PM
Wish I could teach you the balance leash, it will help you another trick in your toolbox to control Clark from lunging at others. Keep doing what you are doing, try to keep yourself as calm as possible when you come across Clark's triggers. I know, I know, easier said then done ;) patti

Maybe you could teach the rest of us <hint hint !!!!> in a training thread!! :highfive:

Luvmypitgirls
April 4th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Having had similar experiences I can relate, and my heart goes out to you and Clark.
I too wish you had pressed charges, especially since he assaulted Clark by kicking him in the face. However, I understand that in the moment you just wanted to get Clark outta there, and nobody can blame you for that.
Karma is a bitch, and hopefully that jerk gets his 10 fold.
Hope the set back isn't too bad and Clark can regain all the progress he's made.
Also, don't change where you go to work with Clark, I think going back to that area is actually in his best interest, and of course take your cellphone with you just incase you encounter these morons again.
Keep your chin up, you have done amazing with Clark thus far, and remember he loves you for it!

Brandon W
April 4th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Wow,what an ignorant person. Specially when his little mutt does not obey commands. I find the smaller dogs tend to be the ones with the most issues with commands. Their owners view them as special,and it does not help with training,or obeying commands on the spot. I would not have delt with that situation you had very well,mostly due to the fact he abused your dog. You did a great job,he is very lucky you did not press charges. I give you points for being the better one in that choice to not charge him. It probably ticked him off more that you didnt.;) Ive had people try to swing at my dog with sticks,umbrellas,canes,all due to the way she looks. She was not running toward or showing aggression when its happened,she was just trying to smell the other dog(s). No one has ever made contact thank god but this is not a solution to use with dogs. I hope this doesnt happen to you again.

pick
April 7th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I just don't understand one think or I haven't make a grate translation...

It was all fall of the other dog owner, how he gets sacaped from this?
If I was the police my order was simple: pay the veterinary for Clark, and make them pay a mulct for no leash or anythink else wich make them know what's the responsability notion, just something very sever, because I know what is that.

When I'm walking with my shar-pei, there's a "celebrity" (famous thanks his agressive dog) and he never never, take a responsability, never with a leash (I never sow it!) or even just say sorry.
Most funnye is most of time he lets the dog on the street and let him take the walk alone! Like "give me a call when you have finished!" XD