Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to deal with a rescue hoarder?

kathryn
March 29th, 2011, 12:10 AM
I have a predicament here.. there is a group in my area that is a "rescue hoarder" situation. Basically, the girl in charge is INSANE. Like, put her in a straightjacket into a padded room insane. Her deal is she hoards rabbits... lots and lots and LOTS of rabbits. I visited her "shelter" myself after hearing the rumor mill of how bad it supposedly was.. yeahhh I came pretty close to dying when I visited because I have allergies (which most of you know about) and the place was sooooo overcrowded and sooo dirty with no ventilation that I nearly died from an asthma attack.. I was so happy to get out of there once the tour was up.

Basically, the "shelter" is a converted mechanics garage.. not very big, like a small office and two areas that would have been where the cars were worked on.. There were about 80-100 rabbits, some guinea pigs and some rats stacked in there at the time I visited. The floor was sticky with rabbit urine (any bun people know what I am talking about!)... hay, food everywhere... POOP EVERYWHERE!!! my shoes were covered by the time I left..

Right, so I played dumb and went along with things.. whatever.. got the heck out of there.

Still seeing all kinds of HORRIBLE posts about them on FB. Animal control is investigating them, the SPCA too from what I hear.. but because her shelter is place out in farm land area around here, and the critters she is hoarding are considered you know, farm animals/livestock, they really aren't able to do much as say, with a cat or a dog hoarder.

Right, sooo she has a FB page for her "shelter" and I had been friends prior to going there.. she kept posting all these strange rants and being really nasty to people.. it was weird.. so I said something about helping her because she seemed overwhelmed and was cursed out.. called her unprofessional for doing that FROM HER OFFICIAL RESCUE PAGE and deleted her off my friends list.. thought it was done and over with.

fast forward about 2 weeks.. on someone elses page I posted a question asking about the rescue and if anyone knew what her spay/neuter policies were for the buns.. just out of curiosity. I guess she was stalking me somehow (don't know how since my privacy settings are WAYY up on FB, you can only see my pic, my name and my URL at this point)... well, she messages me and this is the response (names taken out)

March 5, 2011 at 4:05am
Since we spayed & neutered every rabbit we had in Florida before moving (78) - and have not taken in many since being in New Jersey, yes, all we've had fixed are 18 bunnies so far, with ten left to do. We absolutely would NEVER let a rabbit leave our facility unfixed, and we have spay/neuter certificates for every single rabbit as they are done.

You are welcome to request a copy of any of the rabbit's health forms at any time, provide a fax number and I'll send them to you.

But don't continue spreading misinformation.

And I find it hysterical that Julie says "we're not paying her vet bills - she wants to spend that money on herself"

Since when does a shelter or rescue asking for money to help pay for surgeries for rescue pets count as "misusing funds"? That's EXACTLY what fundraising SHOULD be for.

You ought to look closely at those wack-jobs you're associating with on "---------". If you have a question about how the shelter works, how about having it answered with facts and undeniable truths, rather than the accusations of those lunatics. Just a suggestion.

How do you guys feel about this?? There is a ton more info to the story.... like the lady in charge was a cop before but was kicked off the force after having been forcibly committed to a mental institution on a 72 hour hold and declared mentally insane. And since it was a public police force, people requested her public employee file and have all the documentation (I have seen it and it is indeed real)...

Suggestions?! The lady totally is freaking out on me now and is harassing me from a NEW facebook page :rolleyes: all because I asked a question.. CLEARLY I was out to get her :rolleyes:

Shaykeija
March 29th, 2011, 12:51 AM
You could get sued. You are in a sue happy country. Tread carefully.

kathryn
March 29th, 2011, 01:06 AM

She is already supposedly suing all these other people. I don't even have anything to do with them :shrug: She just keep freaking out on me on Facebook because I guess I "questioned" her.. by asking her adoption policies for spay/neuter :rolleyes: She doesn't really know who I am either thankfully. It's just weird! Now I feel like I'm going to get dragged into stuff because I literally went "hey anyone know what the rescue groups policy is for spay/neuter for adoption?" and now she keep freaking out on me.

She's totally nuts.. she apparently freaks out on anyone that she thinks is "questioning" her.

I'm kind of a magnet for creeps :loser:

Melinda
March 29th, 2011, 04:26 AM
if its all happening on FB, then report her, have friends report her and she'll have her page closed down.

kathryn
March 29th, 2011, 08:50 AM
if its all happening on FB, then report her, have friends report her and she'll have her page closed down.

For some reason after even being reported to FB her page is still up? :shrug: When I blocked her page, I reported her for harassment for sending me that insane rant.

Her group has a website and all that jazz too. It's not like just a crazy lady on FB. She is seriously all over the place driving people insane. After I got angry about her messaging me uninvited like that, I said something where I originally posted the question that made her freak out on me and have had already a half dozen other people message me to say the same thing happened to them. One of them is actually being sued by her for some insane made up reason!

Melinda
March 29th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I know it only took a week for mine and my daughters complaint about a dog selling fb site to be closed, keep reporting it.

kathryn
March 29th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Alrighty, I'll see what I can do. I know a TON of other people have reported her too. I don't know why it hasn't been taken down. She's just as crazy offline too, but thankfully since I don't really put pictures of myself on FB, she doesn't know what I look like so hopefully she won't start messing with me if we cross paths in real life.

Goldfields
March 29th, 2011, 10:36 AM

I would say ditto to this. If she was a police woman she knows how the legal system works. Can't anything said(written) on the Net be taken as libel?

BenMax
March 29th, 2011, 10:55 AM
The easy solution is always to 'sue'. I highly doubt that it will go to that extent. Worse thing would be getting a lawyers letter..big deal.
Don't communicate further with this nutjob. If the authorities are not willing to intervene then there is not much left to do.
Her day will come in due time...it always does..

kathryn
March 29th, 2011, 02:12 PM
She's under investigation for donation fraud, animal abuse/hoarding, loan fraud (I think she borrowed money from someone under terms it would be used for the rescue and spent it on herself).

I'm not really afraid of getting sued because I'm really not saying anything about her or saying anything back to her at this point. She is just nuts and I feel really bad for the bunnies. :(

If it helps any to show what is going on, here are some pics taken from inside the rescue

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/148293_109408145797308_100001843708397_82774_53725 23_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/151095_109408192463970_100001843708397_82775_36555 65_n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/156972_109408515797271_100001843708397_82790_49406 19_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/154192_109409009130555_100001843708397_82815_15698 75_n.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/57992_109819279089528_100001843708397_85624_419923 5_n.jpg

and that's one of the bunnies a rescue person i know and am now friends with took in.

:( i don't really want to get involved but it is just soooo horrible.

Melinda
March 29th, 2011, 02:37 PM
those are disgusting pictures, I agree, something has to be done, does the spca not go to inspect it? can anyone report it as neglect?

BenMax
March 29th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Obnoxious. I hope that someone does something about this.

Dog Dancer
March 29th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Those pics are very disturbing, especially the last one :frustrated::(. That bunny does not look healthy at all and has obviously been sitting in excrement. I wish you luck with getting this lady shut down somehow, but do be careful.

Melinda
March 29th, 2011, 03:05 PM
in new jersey there are a few rabbit rescues, would it be feasable to email a few of them, explain the horrible conditions and send the pics? surely they wont let that go on if they know, I typed in new jersey and came up with a few names

http://rabbit.rescueshelter.com/NewJersey

kathryn
March 29th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Those pics are very disturbing, especially the last one :frustrated::(. That bunny does not look healthy at all and has obviously been sitting in excrement. I wish you luck with getting this lady shut down somehow, but do be careful.

He didn't make it either, the bunny died a few hours after the rescue i know pulled him out of the place a few months ago :(

Most of the other shelter/rescues know, we are all trying to keep away from her. She actually used to email the shelter I worked at allllll the time to ask if we had any bunnies that could be transferred to her rescue :confused: It set off alarm bells... she was BEGGING for animals to take in.. insane!!!

The only reason she is getting through all the loopholes is because she set up shop in "farmland".. had she picked any other towns around here she probably would have been shut down already :( It's like dealing with the puppy millers out in Amish country- to them it isn't wrong and there aren't really any laws to stop it

Melinda
March 29th, 2011, 03:21 PM
but the cruelty law....obviously the way they are living is cruel, not proper housing...can't the spca get involved?

kathryn
March 29th, 2011, 03:48 PM
but the cruelty law....obviously the way they are living is cruel, not proper housing...can't the spca get involved?

All the proper authorities are kind of dragging their feet :shrug:

It's like, I really DON'T want to get involved in anymore problems like this, but you guys know how I am... can't just sit back and let bad things happen.

It's like a real life combination of Intervention and Animal Hoarders.. it's bad.. the lady is crazy.. she got knocked up by some random guy and has a son now too, a few weeks old :( I feel so bad for him! I wonder what his living conditions are like... shudder to think about that. So terrible.

Melinda
March 29th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I think you and a few dozen friends, rescuer's etc should all bombard the spca with phone calls and letters, phone calls can be done from a phone booth (if its like ontario) and no name given to have it looked into, if enough people complain they will have to do something about it.

Dog Dancer
March 29th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Could you get any local newspapers or TV stations interested in helping? Could somebody do a story on hoarding or good rescues vs bad rescues and raise the issue of why the SPCA isn't helping these animals? Everybody hates bad press.

kathryn
March 29th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I think you and a few dozen friends, rescuer's etc should all bombard the spca with phone calls and letters, phone calls can be done from a phone booth (if its like ontario) and no name given to have it looked into, if enough people complain they will have to do something about it.

Heh, I don't even think we could find a phone booth around here even if we tired :o I don't mind reporting them because it's not hear-say, I actually WENT to the place and saw everything first hand for myself.. I think the main concern is if the place is raided, the bunnies may be PTS by animal control. Her house was previously raided a few years ago, and she fled the state, and many of the pets had to be PTS because placement was not found quickly enough. :(

Could you get any local newspapers or TV stations interested in helping? Could somebody do a story on hoarding or good rescues vs bad rescues and raise the issue of why the SPCA isn't helping these animals? Everybody hates bad press.

Yeah that's a really good idea, and I totally don't understand why no stories have come out against her yet :shrug: Doesn't the media usually eat this kind of horror story stuff up? BTW- not only is there a facebook page against the lady, there are atleast 2 websites set up directly against her.. It's amazing the news hasn't caught on yet!! I might send an anonymous email to a reporter I know that loves animal stories.... maybe that will get the ball rolling....

Melinda
March 29th, 2011, 06:41 PM
that would be perfect Katherine, make sure you send her facebook "wonderful happy bunny" page and the real pics !!!!