Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Neutering - how old?

badger
September 23rd, 2004, 04:54 PM
Is three months too young to neuter a cat? The owner of my latest visitor saw my poster and has just taken him home (he hadn't gone far, just around the corner). I believe this is the first time I have been able to return an animal. Anyway, I think I might have convinced him not to declaw (while restraining myself from snatching the cat back) and found out 'Griffon' is only 3 months old! I am hopeless at estimating ages, I would have given him six at least.
I said it was not too soon for vaccinations and sterilization but now I am wondering. His little balls were barely there, the vet wouldn't have much to work with...

chico2
September 23rd, 2004, 04:57 PM
Badger,the opinions seem to differ,my vet says 6-8months and that's when my cats were neutered.
Please,please try to convince the owner not to declaw that pretty cat :(

badger
September 23rd, 2004, 05:06 PM
Yeah, well I didn't get his number - typically - and am sorry to have given him the wrong information. Hopefully the vet will correct this. As for the declawing, I didn't have very long to get my point over but the guy seemed, ah, how can I put this, easily led? and I got the feeling that someone else had told him it was the 'norm'. He lives about 500 yards away; maybe the cat will turn up at my door again and I can expand on the subject. He seemed very loving, just badly informed.

Sneaky2006
September 23rd, 2004, 06:39 PM
The clinic I took my cats to say you can get it done if they are 4lbs or more.

iRONKNiGHT
September 23rd, 2004, 07:00 PM
aww Badger i taught even you'd know this by now, ohh well it's okie :)

You can have a young puppy or kitten Neutered as early as 7 weeks old!

If you would like more information in Early Neuturing click here (http://www.ivis.org/advances/Concannon/olson/chapter_frm.asp?LA=1).

badger
September 23rd, 2004, 07:17 PM
Au contraire, everything I know about such subjects I learned here! I was just in such a hurry to impress upon him the importance of - you know - that I lost my mind (easy to do, it's just a little slip of a thing) So after you enlightened me, I scurried out with my magic marker and scrawled a message on the poster nearest his house that he should call me...not sure if he will see it...poor kitty, I hope I haven't set him up for something he doesn't need (yet) - such a sweetheart, although Badger is very relieved that he is gone, back to his lazy life, without this little fireball leaping on his tail out of nowhere...

iRONKNiGHT
September 23rd, 2004, 07:24 PM
Well when all is said and done badger you'll always be a good sport in my book! :) and it's never too late to learn anything...
PS: i really think it's amazing how close we live to each other lol