Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question on behalf of a friend about male cat households :)

Criosphynx
March 27th, 2011, 06:59 PM
A good friend of mine is thinking about adding another cat in the future. The current cat is a mature male. I own three males, and they integrated rather easy, that said HER cat has som' odd behavior that I'm not sure what to make of, and im not sure how to properly advise her...

essentially, is a male/male household "normal"? If you had to pick, would you say cats are better in same sex pairs or it doesn't matter?

Her cat used to have "playdates" with his brother but that was a way back. He lives currently with two females I believe.

The behavior that confuzzled me is the cat is aparently a "humper". It will mount other animals, and people if I remember correctly...I don't know if that would be an issue?

She'd prefer to add another adult cat, not a kitten. Her cat is altered and shes knows the "cat intro" protocol, they are fed high quality food and have lots of cat areas :)

imput appreciated :)

Love4himies
March 27th, 2011, 07:07 PM
That depends ENTIRELY on the cat. I have a female cat who DOES NOT do well in a multiple cat household and a female cat who would NOT be happy as a single cat. I have a male cat who loves females, but not males. OMG I think I have too many cats :laughing:.

Now in saying that, in general, I think neutered males are more social than females. What I would suggest to her is a younger male (1-1.5 year old) as they tend to be the most social. If your friend is adopting from a shelter or rescue (:pray::pray::pray:), then your friend could possibly talk to the shelter workers to discuss the personalities of some of the kitties. I, personally, would opt for a male cat who is very easy going.

Criosphynx
March 27th, 2011, 07:10 PM
That depends ENTIRELY on the cat. I have a female cat who DOES NOT do well in a multiple cat household and a female cat who would NOT be happy as a single cat. I have a male cat who loves females, but not males. OMG I think I have too many cats :laughing:.

Now in saying that, in general, I think neutered males are more social than females. What I would suggest to her is a younger male (1-1.5 year old) as they tend to be the most social. If your friend is adopting from a shelter or rescue (:pray::pray::pray:), then your friend could possibly talk to the shelter workers to discuss the personalities of some of the kitties. I, personally, would opt for a male cat who is very easy going.

thats good to know. Thats probably why I've had so little issue. The last cat I added was a young ragdoll mix and he acted unphased by the dogs and cats, as if he had known them forever...bizzare really. I'd swear he was sedated.

She would absolutely be rescuing :)

Her cat is a bonafide siamese, Im not sure if that matters any? :p

chico2
March 28th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I've had mostly male cats,only one female years ago and I too would opt for another male.
The"humping"is not unusual in some male cats,my Rocky(r.i.p)would always try to mount Chico,also it's not unusual that they go for pillows or stuffed animals etc..,absolutely nothing bad about that.

pattymac
March 28th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I've always had males till now. Bringing in a kitten was not a big deal. The only thing was that she needed to be fixed and went into heat twice, drove her big brothers crazy for a while. Now that that's done with they all get along pretty well. I've done both now kittens, and adults. So far either I've been really lucky or I'm doing something right :)

Nino, a rescue, was the toughest. He was very defensive, but now 99% of the time they all get along. There's the odd spat but more noise and being total turkeys then anything else. In other words no blood has ever been drawn.

Bobee has been the only 'humper' Maybe because he figures he's been with us the longest and should be top cat..who knows! Not a big deal. He only does that now with the kitten, she's smaller than him..then she grabs him, kicks him in the head and chews on his ears.

Noella (kitten) has no fear of the dog, which I find quite amazing but then she came from the streets so I think she's pretty much fearless. Nothing phases her.

Sounds like she shouldn't have too many problems. I kept Nino and any other newcomers seperated for a few days and then started leaving the door open so they could make the first moves when they felt like it. Worked well for me and them.