Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Skin Cleaners for Dogs

SamIam
March 27th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I have a dog who developed hot spots. I've been using betadine scrub and she is on oral antibiotics too. It's been working pretty well, but I'd like to get her skin all cleaned up and softened and healthy-looking again. A friend suggested Vetericyn, but I know there are lots of cleaners and special shampoos and all sorts of things out there. I'd like some opinions on what has/hasn't worked for people's dogs, and whether I'd be better off with a prescription cleaner or something else. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow, so would appreciate any advice before I'm up at the counter making my decision.

Criosphynx
March 27th, 2011, 07:40 PM
It would depend on cause. If antibiotics and antibacterials arent working you should look into mange, systemic yeast infections or allergies. ;) all those things would need a differnt "cream" or none at all ;)

Melinda
March 27th, 2011, 07:56 PM
SamIam, try a warm green tea bag, it helps draw out infection and also soothes the itch.

rainbow
March 27th, 2011, 08:23 PM
It would depend on cause. If antibiotics and antibacterials arent working you should look into mange, systemic yeast infections or allergies. ;) all those things would need a differnt "cream" or none at all ;)

That is true and both systemic yeast infections and allergies are both terrible to deal with ......good luck. :fingerscr

vitaly
March 27th, 2011, 08:39 PM
cidar vinegar in foods. very natural good antbiotic.

rainbow
March 27th, 2011, 08:45 PM
I think tea bags and ACV only work if the hot spot is treated as soon as it appears ....I get the impression the dog has suffered for some time now.

Dee-O-Gee
March 27th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Our old Golden girl had a real problem with hot spots until we found a digestive treat that contained zinc methionine. :thumbs up

It worked wonders for her heat sensitive skin for 13 years and we have stuck by this product even with our current fur family.

What kind of dog do you have and how old is she?

Melinda
March 27th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I think tea bags and ACV only work if the hot spot is treated as soon as it appears ....I get the impression the dog has suffered for some time now.

sorry, I didn't realize it only worked at the beginning, thanks for clearing that up!!:thumbs up

vitaly
March 27th, 2011, 09:01 PM

it is not good to make keep suffering. this acv what is acv?

SamIam
March 27th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Those are some great ideas!

KLM, she is a long-coat chihuahua just under 4 years. Her coat is fine and silky, with a moderate undercoat. What is the treat you are using?

Dee-O-Gee
March 27th, 2011, 09:10 PM
It's an ingestible treat. Depending on her weight, you would give her daily doses according to the Manufacturer's suggestions.

Brings out a beautiful coat and it truly did relieve our Golden's hot spots not to mention it soothed her dry irritated skin. Like I said, we have continued to use this product with our other dogs as it contributes to a shiny coat and alleviates any skin irritations. :thumbs up

http://www.lincolnbiotech.com/

mikischo
March 27th, 2011, 09:15 PM
it is not good to make keep suffering. this acv what is acv?

The OP already stated that the dog is already being treated and she is clearly not suffering. The ACV is likely referring to the apple cider vinegar that you recommended.

vitaly
March 27th, 2011, 09:24 PM
The OP already stated that the dog is already being treated and she is clearly not suffering. The ACV is likely referring to the apple cider vinegar that you recommended.

thank you. how you know dog is not suffer the skin spots red, itchi and pained in the hotspots i know hurt.

Dee-O-Gee
March 27th, 2011, 09:28 PM
thank you. how you know dog is not suffer the skin spots red, itchi and pained in the hotspots i know hurt.

Huh? :shrug:

quincymycat
March 28th, 2011, 07:00 AM

KLM..I believe vitaly may have a problem expressing him/herself clearly in English...but from what I read, he is questioning whether or not the OP's dog is or isnt suffering and how the OP is fully aware of it...also he feels if the hotspots are remaining itchy and red...he would think that they are still sore.

I believe he/she was only asking for clarification...not trying to be obtuse.

vitaly
March 28th, 2011, 07:58 AM
<snip out>

Melinda
March 28th, 2011, 09:09 AM
ok, I'm lost, Vitaly wasn't a new member?

SamIam, have you had your vet appointment yet?

erykah1310
March 28th, 2011, 09:57 AM
If you are considering the Apple Cider Vinegar make sure you are using pure unfiltered with the "mother".
I have no experience with hot spots but am a HUGE advocate for ACV for the various health benifits it has for animals and humans. All my dogs/cats/horses have ACV added in their water daily.
You an google the health benefits of ACV.

Melinda
March 28th, 2011, 10:11 AM
where do you buy apple cider vinegar?

breeze
March 28th, 2011, 10:13 AM
where do you buy apple cider vinegar?

heath food store :thumbs up

Melinda
March 28th, 2011, 10:15 AM
and I just put some in her water dish?...guess I'll have to google it *L* now I'm so full of questions!

erykah1310
March 28th, 2011, 10:16 AM
You can just add a teaspoon to their water dish, start slowly though with less than that because some dogs just dont like the taste of it at all. My horses love the stuff oddly

Melinda
March 28th, 2011, 10:37 AM
brina is an odd one to begin with, she will only drink water from outside in her heated dish, summer or winter, and she has two bowls of water in the house, changed daily *L*

sorry to thread jack

SamIam
March 29th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Tried the green tea and so far it softened the skin, but I will have to wait a couple days to make sure the dryness doesn't come back.

I've never given ACV to my dogs, but I do have some that I was recommended for my birds' water. My problem with it is that even diluted 1/4 to 1 tsp acv per 1 liter water, a tiny dish, I can't stand the smell of it, so I have been limiting use to certain birds/situations, not sure if I'd be able to have a bowlful in the kitchen longterm.

Asked about starting a zinc supplement, but my vet wants to hold off any changes at the moment, and then first try a topical essential fatty acids supplement.

rainbow
March 29th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Asked about starting a zinc supplement, but my vet wants to hold off any changes at the moment, and then first try a topical essential fatty acids supplement.

What is a topical essential fatty acid supplement?

rainbow
March 29th, 2011, 03:14 PM
If you are considering the Apple Cider Vinegar make sure you are using pure unfiltered with the "mother".
I have no experience with hot spots but am a HUGE advocate for ACV for the various health benifits it has for animals and humans. All my dogs/cats/horses have ACV added in their water daily.
You an google the health benefits of ACV.

I agree about using the pure ACV with the "mother". Also, buy a brand that comes in a dark bottle ...not clear glass and alsways shake it before using.

SamIam
March 29th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Your advice is a bit confusing, Rainbow. You said ACV is only for new active hot spots, now it's a good idea anyway as long as it's pure and shaken?

Melinda
March 29th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I think she means as a preventative measure?

rainbow
March 29th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Your advice is a bit confusing, Rainbow. You said ACV is only for new active hot spots, now it's a good idea anyway as long as it's pure and shaken?

LOL ...pure and shaken ....I could use a martini right about now. :D

Actually, I said "I think tea bags and ACV only work if the hot spot is treated as soon as it appears."

And, we were talking about adding it to the pets water. ;)

SamIam
March 29th, 2011, 03:55 PM
ACV is always for the drinking water, you don't put it directly on a sore.

breeze
March 29th, 2011, 04:00 PM

you can also make it into a solution for hot spots, doesn't have to be just for the water.
you can goggle it for the recipe..
but the best thing to do is ask a vet first before trying some of these recipes

rainbow
March 29th, 2011, 04:04 PM

I used it on a lick sore and it was the only thing that cleared it up. :shrug:

SamIam
March 29th, 2011, 04:28 PM
you can also make it into a solution for hot spots, doesn't have to be just for the water.
you can goggle it for the recipe..
but the best thing to do is ask a vet first before trying some of these recipes

Straight or 50/50??? Ouch, that could sting, acidify the blood, and burn the skin. I think I'll stick with gentler methods.

SamIam
March 29th, 2011, 05:42 PM
What is a topical essential fatty acid supplement?

It is a spot-on liquid, applied like you would use Revolution, apparently far more affective than dietary EFA or omega-3 supplements, helping to grow a healthy coat and skin. Like klmccallum's suggestion of a zinc methionine supplement, EFAs strengthen the skin so that it would not be susceptible to infection in the first place.

breeze
March 29th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Straight or 50/50???

it's 50/50
equal amounts

Shaykeija
March 29th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Any updates from the Vet?

SamIam
March 29th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Yes Shaykeija. Like I said, we went to there yesterday. My vet agrees on strengthening her skin rather than relying on cleaners and treatment. But, when we start that, it will be a topical EFA supplement rather zinc methionine.

Shaykeija
March 29th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Interesting, I hope the puppers feels better soon.

SamIam
March 29th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Interesting, I hope the puppers feels better soon.

Oh you mean the stuff other posters were saying about mange and longterm suffering? They were just teasing I think. She's been feeling just fine for almost 2 weeks now.

Shaykeija
March 29th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Nope I meant she feels better and will never have to have this again.And where are her pictures?:cool:

SamIam
March 30th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Oh. Yep, that's the plan. Her picture were knocked off the wall by a great big crowd of people pushing and shoving, and I just haven't felt any inspiration to pick up the hammer and put any back up.

Shaykeija
March 30th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Ohhhh
I like seeing everyones puppers

bitterr.sweett
May 12th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I have used this product on my Cane Corso and it cleared up his hotspot on the side of his face within days. :thumbs up

www.dawgs-life.com

Bitterr