Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Gaiters/leggings for dogs

dustybird
March 26th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I am trying to find gaiters or something like that for Autumn to keep her legs clean and dry when going for walks in this mucky spring weather. Not because I am too lazy to clean her legs after a walk.

Right now and for the next while the sun is warm enough to melt the crap on the road/sidewalk but the air is cold enough that all the muddy/sandy/salty water that splashes on her legs freezes. When we get home her legs are covered in a mucky mess of frozen ice balls. I imagine it's a little uncomfortable as it would be if I were in her paws(although it doesn't seem to bother her).

It's mostly due to it freezing to her that I want to find something.

I did find these but can't find a similar product in Canada and really don't want to have to buy something overseas.

http://www.k9active.co.uk/Dog-Clothing/Safety-Gear/Safety-Gaiter-by-Hurtta

mummummum
March 26th, 2011, 05:58 PM
These look similar Dusty:

Neopaws has a store in Toronto, so I assume their products are everywhere.

https://www.neopaws.com/catalog/bootcovers-p-1912.html?osCsid=i8mkg2ne0n5b5rphj47jrgp2p2

dustybird
March 26th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks, they look good but I don't think they go up high enough. She's a labx so she's got long legs, and the her entire leg gets covered in the messy stuff.

mummummum
March 26th, 2011, 06:08 PM
They look dead easy to make. Are you handy? Got any old wind cheaters? You could remove a sleeve and elasticize it

dustybird
March 26th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Sadly I am not very handy when it comes to sewing projects, but I think I'll giver a try. I figure I could manage a temp solution until I go back to work.
As I just found these at Petco

http://www.petco.com/product/111421/Leg-Wraps-Black-Leg-Protectors-for-Dogs.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

They're not expensive but.....they'll cost me 30 bucks to have them shipped to me( can't justify speding that much on shipping something so little), of course I can't find them in Canada online anywhere. However we have a U.S post office box just across the boarder from work where my boss gets her mail, so I can ship them there for a lot less and duty won't be much.

Thanks so much for the replies.

Goldfields
March 26th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Dustybird, one thing you could have tried would be contacting a breeder, say of dogs like Afghan Hounds, and finding where they get such things from. I have just been Googling snoods for my shelties as I am sick of seeing them get part of their bib in their mouth when they are eating, and same problem, most I found were made in America, while I'm in Oz. Too costly to get them here. My next step is to contact a local Cocker Spaniel breeder and ask where they get their snoods from.

Melinda
March 27th, 2011, 06:27 AM
do you know any knitters? My mom knit a back leg one for brina after her surgery, from ankle to the very top of her leg and we wove in a nice elastic ribbon to tie it on with