Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cavalier KC owner new to forum

scrapycruiser
March 26th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Hi !
So happy to find this forum ! We are retired and in our early 60's. All of our children and grandchildren live out-of-town so our dogs are our life !
We have 2 Cavalier KC Spaniels and wanted to get a 3rd, but our 5 yr old female has gotten very depressed about a new puppy.
Any suggestions for integrating a new puppy with older ( 5 & 6 ) dogs. We have 1 male and 1 female. Since Cavaliers are so sweet, I didn't think there would be a problem, but I don't want my older girl to be unhappy.
Any suggestions ? We really want a 3rd dog.

mummummum
March 26th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Welcome to the board! We would love to see pix of your sweeties <hint hint> :D. You might want to pose your question in the General On Topic forum ~ it gets more traffic than Introductions.

SamIam
March 26th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Hi Scrapycruiser and welcome to the forum!
Lots of kids get jealous when mom & dad bring home a new baby.
Make sure your older girl gets plenty of personal attention and one-on-one time, but give her time to adjust to the new addition, too.

hazelrunpack
March 27th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Welcome to the board, scrapycruiser! Yep, plenty of attention, stick to a routine so she knows what to expect from day-to-day, and give it some time. I suspect your older girl will at least tolerate a new pup eventually, but maybe even become best buds. :D

And when you get a chance, we do love pics!! :thumbs up

Melinda
March 27th, 2011, 11:30 AM
our old beagle was 10 when we brought home a new pup, she was VERY set in her ways, it took some coddling on her part but she soon accepted the pup and in fact, seemed like she turned into one herself!! gave her new life, good luck with your pack and we'd sure love to see pics, welcome to the forum