Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

An interesting idea but...

mummummum
March 24th, 2011, 06:20 PM
is it practical? Is anyone else seeing themselves running out to the backyard a thousand times a day to 'rescue the dog'? No price listed that I could find but, I'll bet it costs a bomb.

http://www.millerpet.com/faq.html
http://www.millerpet.com/index.html

BenMax
March 24th, 2011, 06:24 PM
I have never seen this nor would I ever purchase. It is kinda disturbing...but that's just me. :shrug:

Chris21711
March 24th, 2011, 06:26 PM
It reminds me of the bomb shelter my Grandfather had in the backyard from WWII :cool:

SamIam
March 24th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Ummm... the rectangular hole reminded me a little bit of a grave:rip:
Unless you have very deep very well-drained soil, Fido will be sleeping in an underground mudhole any time it rains. Rain would be when Fido wants to go into the doghouse...

BenMax
March 24th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Hey - do they make any for kids? Or bad BF's and Hubbies?

mummummum
March 24th, 2011, 07:26 PM
With or without "security gates" ?:D

dmc123
March 24th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Ok? what is the purpose for this? I am confused, LOL

Diane

Chris21711
March 24th, 2011, 07:33 PM

Diane

I'd say it was someone trying to make a buck on the backs of not so smart folks :o

pattymac
March 24th, 2011, 07:36 PM
that's kinda weird! It would fill with snow in no time around here! Maybe for California and warmer places it would be ok. To me it just seems very claustrophic

SamIam
March 24th, 2011, 07:36 PM

Diane

They are right about temperature, it would be warmer in winter and cooler in summer than above-ground. Hurricane resistant. Also says on their website they work well during power outages.:lightbulb:

BenMax
March 24th, 2011, 07:43 PM
They are right about temperature, it would be warmer in winter and cooler in summer than above-ground. Hurricane resistant. Also says on their website they work well during power outages.:lightbulb:

Good lord...let me in..ahhh but what about floods??

SamIam
March 24th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Good lord...let me in..ahhh but what about floods??

Says "will not float away in floods" so that's good, right?

dmc123
March 24th, 2011, 07:59 PM
why not have dogs inside, unless going potty?

Diane

BenMax
March 24th, 2011, 08:07 PM

Diane

Finally..someone with sense.:thumbs up
I like the idea as a hubby time out area.

SamIam
March 24th, 2011, 08:10 PM

Diane

Because that involves house-training and manners, shedding, etc. Who wants to go through all that trouble when you can just bury him in the backyard?

Mirela
March 24th, 2011, 08:14 PM
But it works well during power outages! :D

dmc123
March 24th, 2011, 08:15 PM
mirela, what works well?

Mirela
March 24th, 2011, 08:20 PM
mirela, what works well?

The whatchamacallit, according to their website

ETA - actually, it says "uses no electricity"

mummummum
Because that involves house-training and manners, shedding, etc. Who wants to go through all that trouble when you can just bury him in the backyard?

:mwaha::laugh: .......

dmc123
ok then, good answer

exkalibur
March 24th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Hey !!! Mancave for low budget guys...

SamIam
March 24th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Did you find a price for it?

exkalibur
March 24th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Did you find a price for it?

Google = $400.00

Tundra_Queen
March 24th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Says "will not float away in floods" so that's good, right?

yeah but the dog would!

That thing just freaks me out...I got shudders when I saw it! :eek:

Criosphynx
March 24th, 2011, 09:55 PM
the idea itself is sound...but the picture is just disturbing...

SamIam
March 24th, 2011, 10:02 PM
yeah but the dog would! (float away in floods)

That thing just freaks me out...I got shudders when I saw it! :eek:

Oh no. I highly doubt that. The dog gets tethered to the top of the thing.

SamIam
March 25th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Google = $400.00

Plus shipping plus labour to dig a big deep hole. Well, I looked into DIY options, but the roof alone would be $52.
http://www.belson.com/srptlr.htm

aslan
March 25th, 2011, 06:12 AM
I am so not letting G see that,she'll want one and we all know it wont be for the dogs....hmmm wonder if you can run cable to it.:lightbulb:

rainbow
March 25th, 2011, 01:45 PM
This thing seems like a lot more trouble than it's worth. :D

onster
March 25th, 2011, 01:55 PM
how the heck are u supposed to clean it? Or do dog houses not get cleaned :S

SamIam
March 25th, 2011, 02:01 PM
how the heck are u supposed to clean it? Or do dog houses not get cleaned :S

Solar-powered shop-vac, plus small-child labour for the interior wipe-off.

mummummum
March 25th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I am so not letting G see that,she'll want one and we all know it wont be for the dogs....hmmm wonder if you can run cable to it.:lightbulb:

...if you end up living with your in-laws on The Rock for any length of time you might just be begging for one. :p

aslan
March 25th, 2011, 05:31 PM
...if you end up living with your in-laws on The Rock for any length of time you might just be begging for one. :p

silly woman we are leaving any relatives on either side here in ontario,,why the heck do you think we're moving,,,i was thinking more along the lines of a hideout for me.

Tundra_Queen
March 25th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Oh no. I highly doubt that. The dog gets tethered to the top of the thing.

Oh so u mean,,,the dog would drown teathered to the top of the thing? How nice..NOT..:eek:

SamIam
March 25th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Oh so u mean,,,the dog would drown teathered to the top of the thing? How nice..NOT..:eek:

I was thinking the dog would be swimming around in circles above it.
I'm a bit worried about Aslan, though. He might be too busy trying to figure out why, unlike regular dog houses, this one does not have any utility hook-ups inside, and might not have enough time to squeeze out of that tight little rabbit hole.

mummummum
March 25th, 2011, 08:38 PM
silly woman we are leaving any relatives on either side here in ontario,,why the heck do you think we're moving,,,i was thinking more along the lines of a hideout for me.

:confused: I have it floating around in the agar that is my brain, that you would be living with in-laws if your house wasn't built in time. But now I understand you are having it built in INDIANA? What the heck is it? I figured you would be out there hand-plowing the land, building your own tools... :laughing:

Actually I think the thing is a bit of a nightmare. I doubt it's deep enough to sit below the frost-line for most parts of Canada and it looks like a near dead-drop from the entrance. I can just see me out there with a winch trying to get lard-butt Bridie out of it. :laughing:

vitaly
March 27th, 2011, 03:37 AM
looks like a bunker. my dog would not like a house like that.

Goldfields
May 21st, 2011, 05:00 AM
Here it would be a haven for Brown snakes. And I'd be seriously worried the dog could hurt its back getting in or out of it.

Longblades
May 21st, 2011, 06:36 PM
I wonder if that might be used for feral cats? I'm sure the racoons, skunks, frogs, etc would try it out. I wonder if the frogs could get out again? I wonder if my neighbours' (stupid neighbours) wandering 2 year old would get hurt when she fell in? I wonder if she could get out on her own? I wonder if municipal regulations require protective fencing as a pool does?

SamIam
May 22nd, 2011, 01:58 AM
Brown snakes, feral cats, raccoons, skunks, frogs. Could be a live trap for miscellaneous wildlife :D I wonder if they'd custom-make me one with a window, though, because unless it's just frogs, I'll not be poking my head in to check the daily catch.

14+kitties
May 22nd, 2011, 09:02 AM
I wonder if that might be used for feral cats?

Do you mean as a safe place? Because if so I would have the same concerns for them as I would a dog. Rain, snakes, flooding as there doesn't seem to be any drainage, raccoons or coyotes trapping them inside making them easy prey, etc. While the idea in itself has merit I think there is a lot more thinking to go into the design. :shrug: