Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Being pigeonholed

14+kitties
March 22nd, 2011, 12:10 PM
Has it happened to anyone? Y'know - you have a certain breed of dog, a larger than norm number of dogs or cats, you do rescue work so therefore you are a bleeding heart, etc.......
I'm asking because of Mikischo's thread about the 30 cats under one roof and lately I have been asked if I - have a husband, have children, have grandchildren, have any hobbies. :wall: This is not by just one person. This is by a number of people who think because I have the "larger than norm" number of cats I am a spinster (not hardly), have a need to coddle and have no spawn of my own (3 and 2 stepsons) so therefore chose cats to do it with. :rolleyes:
Has it happened to anyone else?

BenMax
March 22nd, 2011, 12:20 PM
You are not alone 14+K. I have been told I would never meet anyone because I was too involved in animals and animal welfare. I was called 'crazy' and that I would retire on my own..with all cats and dogs and living in a broken down home to only be feared as the old hag who eats little kids like chips.:laughing:.

I have come to terms with this however as society does not have any real box to put me in other than being slightly eccentric. So be it.

As it turns out..I did infact meet someone who had the same ideals and philosophies as I...and he is a dog trainer to boot!;):thumbs up.

I don't know about you 14+K..but I am proud of who I am. When I can fit more in..I will. The label may follow me and I am so comfortable with that as well.:thumbs up

14+kitties
March 22nd, 2011, 12:29 PM
The only time it bothers me it when some idiot go on FB and tell folks how horrible I am. :laughing: Not "man" enough to say it to my face. Other than that I am very proud of what I have accomplished in the last years. I know the direction I want to go in and what I want to accomplish in my little area of the world. That is what matters.
I applaud you BM for all you do. :grouphug: There needs to be many more saviours out there in the trenches helping to save the ones you do.
I can't see an end to it until the laws have changed to reflect that cats and dogs are not property and all of the millers, bybs, brokers, etc are shut down. :(

mummummum
March 22nd, 2011, 01:45 PM
The flip-side of the coin of course 14+ is that we ARE weird, quirky, eccentric and some of us :D are just plain mad-as-hatters.

People who are not animal people do not understand that after-work drinks mean I can be there by 8 at the earliest (do you know how many times in twenty-odd years I have explained "Walking the dog"???...TO THE SAME PEOPLE!?! ) which means I'm just in time to say good night to them :(... and hang out with the hardcore boozers. :highfive:

People who are not animal people (Pwanap's) do not understand that I DO NOT CARE IF I AM COVERED IN HAIR...Heck, I'm not sure I can even SEE it anymore. However, when the anti-fur people started targeted me for spraypainting ~ I invested in some roller brushes. :)

Pwanap's do not understand that my schedule revolves 24-7-365 around the well-being and safety of my animals. So William and whatzername will just have to suck up the catering costs ~ if the dawgs aren't well or I can't get a sitter, then they'll just have to get married without me.

Pwanap's do not understand do not understand why my dogs eat better than I do, why I spend so much on Vet care, products, toys etc. etc. ..."And, you spent HOW MANY THOUSANDS on those Balmain ANKLE booties ????" I ask :eek: Yeesh, at least I get a kiss and a cuddle from my "leather".

Pwanap's do not understand. Period. They don't get it. They never will and there's no cure for stupid. As tedious and tiresome as their apparent inability to grasp the fact that animals are sentient creatures needing physical and emotional care may seem to we, the evolved...well, we just need to learn to tolerate them...until that ship for Mars is ready. Then, it's round-up time. http://bestsmileys.com/cowboy1/12.gif

exkalibur
March 22nd, 2011, 01:53 PM
Ma'm....you are hilarious..I like it :thumbs up:laughing::thumbs up:laughing:

rainbow
March 22nd, 2011, 02:31 PM
LOL .....well said Mums :highfive: and, thanks for the giggles. :D

Melinda
March 22nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
the neighbours send people (who lost or found animals) over to the "crazy animal lady's house"....I found out that from the last one that found a cat and went next door, she was directed to my place

hedgiemama
March 22nd, 2011, 02:50 PM
I was called 'crazy' and that I would retire on my own..with all cats and dogs

that really doesnt seem like such a bad option with all the crazy people in the world :D

Other than that I am very proud of what I have accomplished in the last years. I know the direction I want to go in and what I want to accomplish in my little area of the world. That is what matters.

I think you ( and BM and many other people on Pets) should be proud of everything you have done. All of you have opened your home to animals that no one wanted or couldnt care for and gave them the best possible life where they are safe, healthy and really well cared for.

and MX3 i agree with everything you said, the people who dont have a passion for animals just dont understand it. I think most people on here have their lives revolve around their animals to provide for them and make sure they are happy and healthy, which is what should happen if you bring an animal in to your home.

Jim Hall
March 22nd, 2011, 03:21 PM
I am proud to be a crazy cat guy myself

quincymycat
March 22nd, 2011, 03:31 PM
pigeon holed??? Take a look at my avatar...:crazy: so much easier to just laugh about than get po'd by people who dont have a clue! :laughing: :highfive:

kathryn
March 22nd, 2011, 03:36 PM
Sorry guys but I bet I get it much worse than you for being a young crazy cat lady :crazy:

Hmmm so usually what I get is from people IRL: My house must be dirty, my mom must be a whacko (only partially true!), I have some kind of mental problem (again, only partially true! :p), hmm.. I'm anti-social, weird... I also want to say the weirdest one that is actually offensive in a sense (not to me but to others) is that people think I must be a lesbian for some reason. :confused: I haven't quite figured that one out yet :laughing:

For people online, or who have not met me face to face.. they all assume (adding to the above) that I must be a hunchback and/or have some extra limbs or body parts :laughing:

I can assure you know of the above is true. :evil: hehehe

Jim Hall
March 22nd, 2011, 03:41 PM
well kathryn at least it's better than being branded a witch and burned at the stake hmm an antisocial lesbian wiht extra parts my kind of gal :thumbs up

quincymycat
March 22nd, 2011, 03:45 PM
Sorry guys but I bet I get it much worse than you for being a young crazy cat lady :crazy:

Hmmm so usually what I get is from people IRL: My house must be dirty, my mom must be a whacko (only partially true!), I have some kind of mental problem (again, only partially true! :p), hmm.. I'm anti-social, weird... I also want to say the weirdest one that is actually offensive in a sense (not to me but to others) is that people think I must be a lesbian for some reason. :confused: I haven't quite figured that one out yet :laughing:

For people online, or who have not met me face to face.. they all assume (adding to the above) that I must be a hunchback and/or have some extra limbs or body parts :laughing:

I can assure you know of the above is true. :evil: hehehe

Yup...I knows about that...people ALWAYS assume my house must be dirty or stink.....UNTIL THEY COME IN......I have seen so many non pet homes that are filthy...it depends on the person!

Second...I am crazy...have the papers and meds to prove it...but still function better than alot of non pet people!!

Anti social...to a point...that's what the meds are for :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hmmmm....never been assumed to be a lesbian...but maybe I am just to old for anyone to assume I can be ANY kind of sexual being!!!

Thanks for the giggles.

Dog Dancer
March 22nd, 2011, 03:46 PM
14+ you should hold your head up high in your pigeon hole! I have to agree with MMM, some people just don't get it. You have to follow your heart and not worry about what other people say or think. Their minds are just too twisted to worry about. When your day of reconning comes there's going to be a very special (hairy) place for you! :D Even just with my two pups people think I'm nuts because if I can't take them with me I won't go, I also spend more on their food than my own some days. It's okay, we crazy animal sorts will always have each other.:grouphug:

kathryn
March 22nd, 2011, 03:49 PM
well kathryn at least it's better than being branded a witch and burned at the stake hmm an antisocial lesbian wiht extra parts my kind of gal :thumbs up

hmmm you're in patterson? only about an hour or two from me. hit me up if you wanna see my third arm :laughing:

BenMax
March 22nd, 2011, 04:00 PM
I must be a lesbian for some reason. :confused: I haven't quite figured that one out yet :laughing:

OMG - I get that too. Mind you...I am totally ok with that and never said yes or no.:laughing:. I believe in keep'n them guessing..;)

kathryn
March 22nd, 2011, 04:11 PM
OMG - I get that too. Mind you...I am totally ok with that and never said yes or no.:laughing:. I believe in keep'n them guessing..;)

I just tell people I have my cats around to help me pick the right guy ;) I figure if I bring a guy home and the cats don't like him, I'll kick him to the curb :laughing: Hey I trust my cats opinion on people more than anything else.

chico2
March 22nd, 2011, 04:52 PM
Thank's for the laughs girls,I needed that:laughing:
I have been called a lot of things in my life-time,some I am proud of..at my age,I have no problem telling people what I think.

Bleeding heart,animal crazy woman,sure no problems,I am proud to be..
I am known in my neighborhood for meddling in how they treat their animals,but I think I am forgiven because of my age,sometimes it's great to be old:laughing:

quincymycat
March 22nd, 2011, 05:05 PM
Thank's for the laughs girls,I needed that:laughing:
I have been called a lot of things in my life-time,some I am proud of..at my age,I have no problem telling people what I think.

Bleeding heart,animal crazy woman,sure no problems,I am proud to be..
I am known in my neighborhood for meddling in how they treat their animals,but I think I am forgiven because of my age,sometimes it's great to be old:laughing:

:highfive:

Love4himies
March 22nd, 2011, 05:09 PM
Great post, mx3 :laughing::laughing: :thumbs up

Yup, people think I am crazy to have 4 cats, but when that expands to include fosters, babysitting grandkitties, people think I am :crazy:, but what they don't realize is how much joy these cats bring to my life :shrug: and I feel sorry for those who haven't experience such unconditional love.

And, like mx3, I ALWAYS have cat fur on my work clothes and I don't give 2 $hits what anybody thinks. I just have to look down to my lap and see the fur, and smile because I think of my kitties :lovestruck:

Tundra_Queen
March 22nd, 2011, 05:19 PM
I tell people I'm not a crazy cat lady I'm a cat Hobbyiest and if they don't like it they can find their own dam hobby! LOL

Goldfields
March 22nd, 2011, 08:17 PM
Has it happened to anyone? Y'know - you have a certain breed of dog, a larger than norm number of dogs or cats, you do rescue work so therefore you are a bleeding heart, etc.......

Yes, I've been pigeonholed, but only on this forum. Well maybe elsewhere but other people are possibly polite enough to only say things behind my back. :D 8 dogs and a cat in the house, scandalous! :eek: I try to get the dog hair off before I go out but.....:laughing: D
I'd find it hard to call you a crazy cat lady, 14+, when one of my dearest friends(gone to God) would have had more cats than you, and was never thought of that way, by us I mean. You get a tick of approval btw because yours are better cared for.Pity we can't make people spend their money the way we think they should. You'd have spent my friend's money better if you follow that? There again, some(like my sister) would say I should stop spoiling my dogs and start spending money on myself - that's not gonna happen. You have to have your priorities right. :D

exkalibur
March 22nd, 2011, 09:01 PM
Yup !! And when your dog farts...you think it's funny...I guess I fit the bill too :D

14+kitties
March 22nd, 2011, 09:08 PM
I'd find it hard to call you a crazy cat lady, 14+, when one of my dearest friends(gone to God) would have had more cats than you, and was never thought of that way, by us I mean.

So now I'm just a tad curious as to how many cats your dear friend had.

Goldfields
March 22nd, 2011, 10:32 PM
Yup !! And when your dog farts...you think it's funny...I guess I fit the bill too :D
Most hilarious trip to town I've ever had, exkalibur, was with my brother when he came up here to judge Terriers. I was showing my cattle dog in another Group so we travelled together. She was eating Pal at the time and nothing smells quite as bad as second hand Pal.:eek: I did suggest we open the window and point her tail that way. :D Imagine if they'd been non doggy folk.

14+, it's going back a good 30 or more years but I think she said it was around 50 cats. Being farmers they could afford to feed them but I've always been one for curtailing population explosions like that, the money would have been better spent spaying at the start and more money into trips to the vet for other things. I've always thought anyone can build up a big number of anything, dogs, cats, horses, sheep, that's easy, but you have to know when to stop. She wasn't rescuing these cats, they were breeding because they could. And not as healthy as yours. :(

aslan
March 23rd, 2011, 05:26 AM
Hmmmm....never been assumed to be a lesbian...

Thanks for the giggles.

Funny they assume it about me all the time,,oh wait i am one...I have a basic answer when i get the " why do you have 3 dogs"...well because Toronto bi-law wont let me have more,,but just wait until we move.:D I would much rather people thought negative things about some of the members here because of the amount of animals they have over the other option( homeless,,starving,dead furbabies)...

Goldfields i think14+ just might either have your friend beat or is right behind them..:D

14+kitties
March 23rd, 2011, 11:10 AM
14+, it's going back a good 30 or more years but I think she said it was around 50 cats. Being farmers they could afford to feed them but I've always been one for curtailing population explosions like that, the money would have been better spent spaying at the start and more money into trips to the vet for other things. I've always thought anyone can build up a big number of anything, dogs, cats, horses, sheep, that's easy, but you have to know when to stop. She wasn't rescuing these cats, they were breeding because they could. And not as healthy as yours. :(

30 years ago it was not unusual for farmers to have that many or more. Around here most times it is more. :( They are the ones who refuse to spend a penny to get the cats s/n. Most times they don't even get fed. They fend for themselves. Which is why they end up roaming and getting killed by cars and coyotes.
You're right. Even 30 years ago I got my pets all s/n. It's only common sense. Although, according to some, there isn't much of that around.

Goldfields i think14+ just might either have your friend beat or is right behind them..:D

You're right aslan - just about. With the strays coming and going that get fed in my greenhouse and will soon be getting t/n/r (as soon as I find a new place to go) it is probably already at that point. With kitten season coming up - I'm afraid I won't be able to bring in more. My priorities are to the ones I have - and the two new ones I have promised to take. ;)

It doesn't "bother" me that people ask me those questions btw. I just find it amusing and usually laugh at them for asking. I explain very gently to them that their perceptions are a little off. They can't categorize everyone.

Goldfields
March 23rd, 2011, 11:12 AM

:D If she is right behind then her numbers have increased since I last read about it.

quincymycat
March 23rd, 2011, 11:19 AM
:D If she is right behind then her numbers have increased since I last read about it.

I could be wrong GF, but I think Aslan was referring to the care 14+'s cats get...like vet care, s/n so the numbers dont increase by repopulation but only when she does voluntarily take on another rescue.

I believe you said your friend was on a farm where animals were free to mate as nature calls.

BenMax
March 23rd, 2011, 11:21 AM

Unfortunately numbers will fluctuate depending on how many wonder off and find refuge in other areas. Not to mention animals being dumped daily and animals that are not spayed and neutered..just increasing the number of an already overpopulation.

14+kitties
March 23rd, 2011, 11:22 AM

My "numbers" have been the same for quite some time. The last two I took in were from a couple in their 80s who were in ill health. He has since been hospitalized and she is selling their home and looking for a small apartment. The cats are only 2 years old. They were worried they would not be around to look after them for long. These cats were/are semi ferals. Not exactly cats that would have a chance in a shelter of making it past the first three days. :( I have promised to take one more girl as well that they fed for quite a while.
Heidi came the same day as Venus and Astro did. She was also a girl who needed a home quickly. I'm hoping my numbers will stay at that. From the point I get these last two on the only help I will be able to give is help in getting people's cats in to get s/n. It's time other people take responsibility for their own actions.

14+kitties
March 23rd, 2011, 11:35 AM

If you are thinking only about the ones in the Catuary then yes, the number is smaller than 50. But don't forget I have a large number in my house at the moment. They are treated exactly the same as the ones in the Catuary. They get the same food, the same love, the same vetting. :thumbs up

BenMax
March 23rd, 2011, 11:38 AM
If you are thinking only about the ones in the Catuary then yes, the number is smaller than 50. But don't forget I have a large number in my house at the moment. They are treated exactly the same as the ones in the Catuary. They get the same food, the same love, the same vetting. :thumbs up

For those of us who know you 14+K..there is no reason to justify. We know how much you love each and everyone of them...unconditionally.

14+kitties
March 23rd, 2011, 11:46 AM
Thanks BM. :grouphug:
So I've been thinking lately of getting a personalized license plate. There is a lady in my town who's plate reads cat crazy. I have yet to meet her but I am hoping to. For my plate I'm thinking something like FIXURCATS. Think it would work? :laughing:

BenMax
March 23rd, 2011, 11:49 AM
FIXURCATS. Think it would work? :laughing:

I love it. How about FIXURKATZ?

quincymycat
March 23rd, 2011, 11:52 AM
So I've been thinking lately of getting a personalized license plate. There is a lady in my town who's plate reads cat crazy. I have yet to meet her but I am hoping to. For my plate I'm thinking something like FIXURCATS. Think it would work? :laughing:

In case you ever see a crazy off balanced woman driving a black SUV...my plate reads MEEOW :laughing: :laughing:

BenMax
March 23rd, 2011, 11:53 AM
In case you ever see a crazy off balanced woman driving a black SUV...my plate reads MEEOW :laughing: :laughing:

Mine would probably say 'EATKIDS'.

quincymycat
March 23rd, 2011, 11:54 AM

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

erykah1310
March 23rd, 2011, 12:19 PM
I have been before...
And their faces when they find out that even though I own 12 animals and large ones at that AND have a man, a job, no kids (by choice) and a great circle of friends as well as a social life their jaws drop.
then explaining how having all the animals is what relaxes me from my busy life and keeps me sane really leaves a few scratching their heads.

14+kitties
March 23rd, 2011, 12:34 PM
I love it. How about FIXURKATZ?

:thumbs up That is even better! Will have to see if it's taken. ;)

I'll make sure to look for it. How neat!

LMAO!! Somehow I have a feeling that one might not be allowed!!

BenMax
March 23rd, 2011, 01:35 PM
[QUOTE=14+kitties;995840
LMAO!! Somehow I have a feeling that one might not be allowed!![/QUOTE]

Ok how about ATEDIKS (never mind..that sounds TERRIBLE...):laughing:

14+kitties
March 23rd, 2011, 01:41 PM
Ok how about ATEDIKS (never mind..that sounds TERRIBLE...):laughing:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Oh My!!!! :o I can imagine the looks you would get!!!! I know SOME people would love it!! :D

BenMax
March 23rd, 2011, 01:46 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Oh My!!!! :o I can imagine the looks you would get!!!! I know SOME people would love it!! :D

#1 - I am sure I would get the right of way.;). #2 - I would be judged on my driving techniques.:laughing: (oh lordy...I can go on but heck..I am a good girl).:o

14+kitties
March 23rd, 2011, 01:50 PM
#1 - I am sure I would get the right of way.;). #2 - I would be judged on my driving techniques.:laughing: (oh lordy...I can go on but heck..I am a good girl).:o

#3 - How many times would you be pulled over for a minor traffic offence? And how would you "get off"?
Ok, gotta behave now. This is wwwaaaayyyy :offtopic:!! Point taken!

BenMax
March 23rd, 2011, 02:05 PM
#3 - How many times would you be pulled over for a minor traffic offence? And how would you "get off"?
Ok, gotta behave now. This is wwwaaaayyyy :offtopic:!! Point taken!

:laughing:. So back to the thread...yes I have been put in the 'odd' category as well 14+K. My black turtle neck with tweed animal hair is the give away..

akaJenT
March 23rd, 2011, 02:39 PM
I'm asking because of Mikischo's thread about the 30 cats under one roof and lately I have been asked if I - have a husband, have children, have grandchildren, have any hobbies. :wall: This is not by just one person. This is by a number of people who think because I have the "larger than norm" number of cats I am a spinster (not hardly), have a need to coddle and have no spawn of my own (3 and 2 stepsons) so therefore chose cats to do it with. :rolleyes:
Has it happened to anyone else?

The first job in the Garden of Eden was tending to the animals, wasn't it? :thumbs up

BenMax
March 23rd, 2011, 02:41 PM
The first job in the Garden of Eden was tending to the animals, wasn't it? :thumbs up

Very good point akaJenT!

kathryn
March 23rd, 2011, 03:22 PM

:offtopic:

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4792/kidsfirst.jpg

chico2
March 23rd, 2011, 04:47 PM
Love FIXURKATZ,hopefully it's not already taken..
I have a Humane Society Plate but it says "DYRBIL"which is swedish,it's fun watching people behind you trying to figure it out.

Tundra_Queen
March 23rd, 2011, 05:47 PM
You're right aslan - just about. With the strays coming and going that get fed in my greenhouse and will soon be getting t/n/r (as soon as I find a new place to go) it is probably already at that point. With kitten season coming up - I'm afraid I won't be able to bring in more. My priorities are to the ones I have - and the two new ones I have promised to take. ;)

14 why do u have to find a new place to get them spayed? Did the other place close down?

That is great! :laughing:

:laughing:

14+kitties
March 23rd, 2011, 06:01 PM
14 why do u have to find a new place to get them spayed? Did the other place close down?

No TQ, they haven't shut down. In fact that is the place I took Dart to on Sunday. But, the woman I was working through has moved to another town so is no longer with the organization. When I emailed to find out who took her place I was sent an email telling me it would cost $100 a cat. I explained the situation to them in another and subsequent emails and told them I would not be paying that much to do t/n/r. It's unfortunate because I have done a lot of cats through them the last couple of years.
I have found a place that fixes cats for $50 but they have to be under six years old. That's fine if they are tame cats and I know their ages, or approximate ages. But for the ferals that show up around here I have no way of knowing. I do know of another place that does ferals for free if they are t/n/r's.
Things will get sorted out. I'm sure. :thumbs up

Tundra_Queen
March 23rd, 2011, 06:29 PM
14+ I sure hope they do as u sure need a breaknot more expenses! HUGS

14+kitties
March 23rd, 2011, 06:51 PM
14+ I sure hope they do as u sure need a breaknot more expenses! HUGS

Thanks TQ! :grouphug:

kathryn
March 23rd, 2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks TQ! :grouphug:

It is too bad you don't live near me! There are atleast a dozen different places in the area that offer feral cat S/N for $25-$35 a cat, including vaccines! I am so lucky to have these programs or I would have never have been able to get all these cats done. :fingerscr I hope more places can catch on soon!

14+kitties
March 23rd, 2011, 07:43 PM
It is too bad you don't live near me! There are atleast a dozen different places in the area that offer feral cat S/N for $25-$35 a cat, including vaccines! I am so lucky to have these programs or I would have never have been able to get all these cats done. :fingerscr I hope more places can catch on soon!

Kathryn - Feral cats I can get done for free. It's the others. But @ $50 a cat that isn't bad. I'm not planning on having many more tame ones to fix. Running out of room. :D I thought about seeing if hubby would extend the Catuary to about an acre but I don't think that would be fair to him. ;)

It would be nice to be able to have one or two different places that I can send people to when they ask. I did before. Now - I'm searching. Will be doing some phone calling to find more places closer to home. :thumbs up

Love4himies
March 23rd, 2011, 08:01 PM
14+ is one of my heros :lovestruck: :grouphug:

Love4himies
March 23rd, 2011, 08:08 PM
I don't expect 14+ to justify anything, I think that's funny that she has a houseful as well. :D I had thought she only had the ones outside. Oh dear, you are going to have to learn to say NO and mean it, 14+. We know there will always unfortunately be the next one or two. I don't think you are crazy, I just start worrying about rescuers who do it on your scale, that maybe sometime there is not going to be enough for you personally(not the cats) , be it strength to go on, finances when you need it etc.. If you go on doing t/n/r you are still doing more than a lot would anyway.

Aslan, your comment here is just so funny.

I have a basic answer when i get the " why do you have 3 dogs"...well because Toronto bi-law wont let me have more,

:laughing: I like that!
She does it because she is one HELL of a person :lovestruck: and for her to say "no" as the norm does, is just not in her vocabulary.
:sorry: 14+ I just had to answer :o :grouphug:, cause I love you :lovestruck:

14+kitties
March 23rd, 2011, 08:20 PM
14+ is one of my heros :lovestruck: :grouphug:
:grouphug: Thanks my friend. The feeling is mutual!

I don't expect 14+ to justify anything, I think that's funny that she has a houseful as well. :D I had thought she only had the ones outside. Oh dear, you are going to have to learn to say NO and mean it, 14+. We know there will always unfortunately be the next one or two. I don't think you are crazy, I just start worrying about rescuers who do it on your scale, that maybe sometime there is not going to be enough for you personally(not the cats) , be it strength to go on, finances when you need it etc.. If you go on doing t/n/r you are still doing more than a lot would anyway.

Goldfields - Just as I would never assume to tell anyone how many dogs they should breed I would not expect anyone to tell me I have enough cats. If they are being looked after, vetted and loved then who's business is it how many I have? That is my decision and mine alone.
You need to do some googling. Look for the BIG rescues - 500, 700, 800+ cats. ALL s/n and well loved.

She does it because she is one HELL of a person :lovestruck: and for her to say "no" as the norm does, is just not in her vocabulary.
:sorry: 14+ I just had to answer :o :grouphug:, cause I love you :lovestruck:

Thanks again my dear friend. :grouphug:

krdahmer
March 24th, 2011, 03:34 AM
:laughing: I love you guys!!! :grouphug:
I get all the comments! But I've noticed that even my parents (who thought I was crazy when I had 4 cats) stick up for me now...and brag about how well taken care of my kitties are! I figure if people are worth knowing and caring about...they aren't gonna care that I spend my days talking to cats, covered in fur and working to pay for food and litter...they're just gonna see how big my heart is and love me for it....like I do all of you! :lovestruck:

mummummum
March 24th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Just as I would never assume to tell anyone how many dogs they should breed I would not expect anyone to tell me I have enough cats. If they are being looked after, vetted and loved then who's business is it how many I have? That is my decision and mine alone.

And that really is the point isn't it? My good friends might be able to get away with a heart-to-heart if they think I am in over my head but strangers, co-workers and acquaintances? No. Not unless they want a looooong lecture based solely on MY assumptions about how they spend THEIR money, THEIR time, THEIR energy. Generally, my friends are the first to pitch in without being asked when I am in over my head ~ they almost never question my motives or my ability to see the big picture. And, if they do, they do so with love in their hearts AND offers of help.

BenMax
March 24th, 2011, 08:46 AM
[QUOTE=Goldfields;996198]Well, here is the difference. I have been told more than once by a member of this forum that if I care about my breed I should be rescuing them, QUOTE]

It was I Golfields that made this statement. If I say something, don't be shy to say who said it. I am totally ok with that.:thumbs up
But I would never tell people how to spend their coin, or where to spend it. That is none of my business.
14+K for me, is in the clear. She rescues, contributes to society in a positive way. She takes in those that are turned away. Saying 'no' is like being untrue to who you are or what you believe in. Saying 'no' for her, is turning her back on those in need. It just is not possible.

mummummum
March 24th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I think your mixing apples and oranges G/F. The pro-rescue / anti-BYB/ pro-spay-neuter philosophy of the vast majority of members on this board isn't really part of the equation here. Perhaps that's a separate thread for you to take on.

And you appear to be taking my comments personally ~ I'm not sure why as they pertain to the quoted comment made by 14+.

marko
March 24th, 2011, 08:59 AM
We can debate hot topics but Let's keep things civil please.

If comments are personal in nature please take them to PM.

Please do not respond to this statement, just continue to move the thread forward.

Thx - Marko

exkalibur
March 24th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Back on topic....

And don't forget that we also buy vehicles based on how many pets we can fit in there, how comfy and safe it is for them and how easy it is to clean the hair off the seats/carpet....

BenMax
March 24th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Back on topic....

And don't forget that we also buy vehicles based on how many pets we can fit in there, how comfy and safe it is for them and how easy it is to clean the hair off the seats/carpet....

LOL - so true! I forgot about that one.:thumbs up
I have one Suburu that is my 'rescue' vehicle...looks like hell, smells just as bad..but does the job perfectly. Animals are not complaining..so why would anyone else? (Except those 2 legged I truck around..:laughing:)

14+kitties
March 24th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Ladies - I appreciate your support. :grouphug:
I think MX3 said it about perfectly. Someone I consider a close friend or my husband are about the only ones I would expect would have "the talk" with me if they thought I was in over my head. I just did not expect someone I don't know from Adam to make the statement that was made. :shrug:
As it is, that was not necessary. I do believe I mentioned earlier in this thread that I am near full. There are a couple of cats I have promised to take in due to extenuating circumstances. Again, that is my decision. My husband stands behind me. May not be thrilled with it but he supports me 110%. :rolleyes: I know I have reached the number of cats I feel I can care for. Remember please, there are a number of these cats that are semi feral or feral. They don't exactly need cuddling time each day. They just need a safe, warm place where they can be loved and cared for. I hope they get that here.
As for learning how to say no - I do. Almost every single day of my life. It is amazing how many people ask me if I "want" any more cats. Want? If it would save them, then yes!! Can I "have"? No. It is not feasible. I have been asked to take 8 or 9 cats at once because people just didn't want them in their house any more. She even offered to pay for their food until I told her $50 a week for the next 15 years. Then there are my co workers who think I should take the cats they no longer want. And customers - So please, I most surely do know how to say no.
Now, may we please get somewhat back on topic? I don't mind the threadjacking. In fact, I think I started it. But this other stuff is not necessary.
Thank you for letting me say my piece. :thumbs up

BenMax
March 24th, 2011, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=BenMax;996203]

No, BenMax, it wasn't you, or it could have been if you say so :laughing:, but I was thinking of someone else.

Nope my dear...it was I. That I am certain. I take full responsibility.:)

14+kitties
March 24th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Well, here is the difference. I have been told more than once by a member of this forum that if I care about my breed I should be rescuing them, and is that not being told how to spend our money, our time, and our energy?

Umm, I "think" that may be me you are referring to? BM owned up to it but oh well, I'll take some of the heat too. :D
Please, please, please do not take this the wrong way. It is not meant to be argumentative but rather an observation. IMO taking back a pup that you have been directly responsible for creating, even sometimes to the point of inseminating the dog itself, is part and parcel of being a responsible breeder. :shrug:
I have been told time and time again that ethical breeders DO take back any dog that does not work out or is found to have health issues. Got nothing to do with your finances. Well, not any more that ethically it should have. A dog that does not work out in one place still has the potential to be rehomed so therefore your finances should not be strained that badly. Also, an ethical breeder should make allowances for those happenings and have monies set aside. Now, that is what I have been led to believe an ethical breeder does. It's not like you should ever have to take back 40, 50 dogs if you did your work and found the best homes possible for them to start with. Not saying you didn't do that. Obviously you did as you have not said anything about having any returned. For that ummm, you get a tick of approval too. ;)

I don't think that can be equated with someone who brings in cats, s/n, vets, etc, that they had absolutely zilch to do with creating in the first place. And, btw, if/when I do manage to find a home for a cat/kitten I do it with the understanding that if for any reason it does not work out I will always take the cat back. That is part of my responsibility I took on when I brought the cat to my home to start with.

I hope that makes sense. I also hope it is not taken the wrong way. Maybe it will help you to understand my side just a wee tad better. I hope so.

pattymac
March 24th, 2011, 12:39 PM
14+Kitties is an awesome person..as are many others here!! I feel like I'm in excellent company here! So nice to hear from people who DON'T care if they're a little bit extra hairy and it's not their's! Heheh I buy clothes in colours that will show less hair :) Heheh That's really nice in black but do you have it in calico or black and tan?! Most of my clothes are shepherd coloured!!

I guess I am considered slightly crazy, my one sister doesn't get it. My critters don't make me any money, or give any status like her Alpacas do. They're just cats and that's just a dog. If I had my way, I'd have a few more. Love to have a playmate of the same species for Bayley. She likes playing with Noella but it's hard to get into a real wrestling match with someone 1/10th your size!! (Without getting in trouble from Mom!)

Love4himies
March 24th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Well, here is the difference. I have been told more than once by a member of this forum that if I care about my breed I should be rescuing them, and is that not being told how to spend our money, our time, and our energy?

[QUOTE=BenMax;996203]

No, BenMax, it wasn't you, or it could have been if you say so :laughing:, but I was thinking of someone else.

Nope, I think it was me :p

BenMax
March 24th, 2011, 12:50 PM
[QUOTE=Goldfields;996237]

Nope, I think it was me :p

Oh lordy...Maybe I am you and you are me??? What's my name again?:laughing:

Love4himies
March 24th, 2011, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=Love4himies;996261]

Oh lordy...Maybe I am you and you are me??? What's my name again?:laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

erykah1310
March 24th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Back on topic....

*sigh*
Sadly no we don't all do this :laughing:
The large monsters I own barely fit in here one at a time lol
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/z28gurl_2007/tibby.jpg

Thankfully we have 2 trucks that we can haul all the monsters in if need be, it just costs us double in fuel to get where we're going:D

I have been contemplating breaking down and purchasing a "Vanborghini" soon to better cart all the critters, but its just my nature to insist on better so it will most likely be a Yukon or :fingerscr Escalade

Bina
March 24th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Back on topic....

Add me to this category too please.
We are shopping for another used pick up truck.....the box has to be a specific size to fit our 2 tall and chubby Nubian goats.:D

BenMax
March 24th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Add me to this category too please.
We are shopping for another used pick up truck.....the box has to be a specific size to fit our 2 tall and chubby Nubian goats.:D

:laughing::laughing::laughing:..OK - you totally got me beat!:thumbs up

Goldfields
March 24th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Back on topic....

You could just buy them their own portable doggy Motel. :D This is my trailer but my sister is another crazy dog lady who will always be driving a Toyota van or similar because that's the only thing she can pack all her shelties, plus a GSD into comfortably. She has it set up beautifully for them.

exkalibur
March 24th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Chief's motel...

Criosphynx
March 24th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Being the "crazy dog lady" doesn't bother me so much. Its the remarks of having too many dogs (five dogs, four of which are small, is atrocious, aparently), and then when they find a stray, asking if I "want it" that bother me the most...

we had a party here and the jokes of "too many dogs" were around. Then a stray walked up to the gate. I managed to get him, bring him inside, cut off his mats and bathe him (I feel a clean dog has a better shot at the shelter) and immediately people were telling me to keep him and when I said I wasn't. They were upset at me.

???

The fact I am childless by choice makes me look even more "odd". Im not a normal person with alot of pets. I am now the "wierdo" trying to "replace" human children with dog children...:rolleyes:

exkalibur
March 24th, 2011, 09:41 PM
What we get often from "friends" is the "how come you can't come for a few days? "....Like the cats and horses and the dogs can take care of themselves while we're gone... It does make it harder to leave home for a few days but, it's our choice and it's the life we chose... our own little paradise, away from the crazies...

Masha
March 24th, 2011, 10:01 PM
What we get often from "friends" is the "how come you can't come for a few days? "....Like the cats and horses and the dogs can take care of themselves while we're gone... It does make it harder to leave home for a few days but, it's our choice and it's the life we chose... our own little paradise, away from the crazies...

This is EXACTLY what we always get from friends (family already knows better). Our friends keep asking us to meet up at restaurants/bars straight after work and they keep gettig upset when we say 'would love to, but we need to walk jermy and we want to spend time with him, we havent seen him in hours'.. some are really rude and respond with 'you are just obsessed, dogs shouldnt be more important than people' *khum...* well Jermy is defintiely more important than YOU!! :evil:

when Jermy was younger and we didnt feel comfortable leaving him with family members yet, we did not go to any vacations or trips without him -- our friends didnt understand why we didnt just pay 'one of those places' to watch him... Because he would be stressed and upset the whole time, thats why??!!

Our friends think we are nuts to be spending so much time and money on our 3 little fuzzbutts, but this is nothing... i tell them of the people on pets.ca that have much more and that they have fullfilling relationships and lives with their fuzzbutts, not despite them...

Goldfields
March 24th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Being the "crazy dog lady" doesn't bother me so much. Its the remarks of having too many dogs (five dogs, four of which are small, is atrocious, aparently), and then when they find a stray, asking if I "want it" that bother me the most...

we had a party here and the jokes of "too many dogs" were around. Then a stray walked up to the gate. I managed to get him, bring him inside, cut off his mats and bathe him (I feel a clean dog has a better shot at the shelter) and immediately people were telling me to keep him and when I said I wasn't. They were upset at me.

???

The fact I am childless by choice makes me look even more "odd". Im not a normal person with alot of pets. I am now the "wierdo" trying to "replace" human children with dog children...:rolleyes:

Join the club, because we're childless by choice too. And hey, a few here want me to adopt rescues too when I already battle to give my 8 dogs the life I want them to have. :rolleyes: At least I don't think you are weird. :D

Goldfields
March 24th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Exkalibur, a lovely van! Chief is a lucky boy. I wouldn't have been game to tow anything bigger than my dog trailer to shows and for an overnight stay at a Motel or Cabin somewhere it sufficed as the doggy sleeping quarters. If I was into camping holidays(what the heck are they??) I'd be so envious. :)

aslan
March 25th, 2011, 05:21 AM
.The fact I am childless by choice makes me look even more "odd". Im not a normal person with alot of pets. I am now the "wierdo" trying to "replace" human children with dog children...:rolleyes:

and this is a bad thing why??? when was the last time the dogs asked to borrow the car,,or say they needed a PS3 cause spot nextdoor has one and so on...I do have two kids(supposedly adults now)....the dogs are seriously a better deal. Besides you can get the puppes fixed so no worries about unwanted pregnancies..

exkalibur
March 25th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Having kids does have one reward doh.....Grand kids.....That's what you use to get even....Spoil them, teach them to break their mom's rules, feed them lots of sugar, then give them back to their parents and enjoy the fruits of your labour..:evil:

BenMax
March 25th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Having kids does have one reward doh.....Grand kids.....That's what you use to get even....Spoil them, teach them to break their mom's rules, feed them lots of sugar, then give them back to their parents and enjoy the fruits of your labour..:evil:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:.

Goldfields
March 25th, 2011, 09:49 AM
You are evil, Exkalibur. LOL.

Criosphynx
March 25th, 2011, 10:15 AM
hahah, its NOT a bad thing IMO. In fact I don't understand why more people don't abandon having hairless kids and have som' furry ones. More fun and cheaper.. :p

I think alot of it may be people regretting their own life decisions, so they are projecting that onto me. I get to spend my free time with my pets, my garden and my husband...and they change diapers...yeah, Im crazy:crazy:

Whats odd is I always thought I'd end up a cat person. I always wanted to have like 20 cats...instead I have dogs. I'm still young I guess, can always change "goals" :p

aslan
March 25th, 2011, 04:41 PM

Don't forget buy them toys with millions of little tiny parts..:evil:

exkalibur
March 25th, 2011, 04:52 PM

And be EXTREMELY noisy....

Goldfields
March 25th, 2011, 07:27 PM
You two would be a mother's worst nightmare. ROFL.

krdahmer
March 26th, 2011, 11:06 AM

:laughing: :laugh: ....I'm the evil aunt...got my nephew a transformer for xmas...supposed to be for ages 4 and up....it took three of us ages 30+ to get the bleepin thing to transform!!!! :rolleyes::laughing: perfect gift of frustration!!!!

Bina
March 26th, 2011, 03:33 PM
And be EXTREMELY noisy....

Yup, nothing says "I love you best" like a drum set or screaming robot toy for the "perfect" grandchild/niece/nephew.:D

aslan
March 26th, 2011, 03:54 PM
You two would be a mother's worst nightmare. ROFL.

oh you have no idea,,i bought my nephew a collection of hotwheels and the race track,,you know the one with about 500 peices of track to put together. oh and we must not forget Lego's,,lots and lots of lego's.:D

Goldfields
March 26th, 2011, 07:47 PM
WIcked! Poetic justice though. LOL.

Luvmypitgirls
April 4th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Awe 14+, I feel for ya girlfriend.
Having Rotts and Pits, I've been labelled everything from a ''gangsta wannabe'', a criminal, a drug dealer, you name it...(sigh).
Even had one person accuse me of child abuse, having such breeds around my sons.
Shrug it off my friend, don't waste the brain power justifying yourself to anyone.
Big hugs to ya!
:D

dogcatharmony
April 5th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I am guilty of thinking the opposite. I have a hard time with people who don't have pets. I tend to think of them as selfish, unloved and not quite right in the head.....:evil: Okay, maybe not that harsh of feelings.
I just find pet owners my kind of people, maybe I am crazy. And one day I hope to be a crazy cat lady like +14.

14+kitties
April 5th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Aww thanks LMPG and DCH!! :grouphug:

Love4himies
April 5th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I am guilty of thinking the opposite. I have a hard time with people who don't have pets. I tend to think of them as selfish, unloved and not quite right in the head.....:evil: Okay, maybe not that harsh of feelings.
I just find pet owners my kind of people, maybe I am crazy. And one day I hope to be a crazy cat lady like +14.

:laughing: Me too. I kinda feel sorry for them.

chico2
April 5th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I agree,I just feel people are missing out,our cats make us laugh(sometimes cry)but I could not imagine our lives without them.
They make sure I am up at 6am to feed them,or i would sleep until at least 8am,wasting my day away:laughing:
Even the outdoor critters are very important to us,yes,birdseeds,suet and stuff is expensive,but then we very seldom go out to eat or stuff like that.
A home without hair-balls is not a home:cat:

BenMax
April 5th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I agree Chico2. You know I go back 'home' every 2 weeks. My condo is perfect as in the sense it is hollow..no life..no smells..nothing. I cannot imagine my life without my cats and dogs. No way..not for this gal.

Mind you in one month I have not had to dust the place. No hair or dander or dust anywhere. Now how boring is that???

Gail P
April 6th, 2011, 12:23 AM
I'm another "crazy dog lady"...most non-pet and even pet people can't seem to figure out how or why I live with 9 large dogs. And I'm an oddity even to my mushing friends, many of whom have way more dogs than me, not because of the number I have but because while other mushers dogs generally live outside mine all live in my house, sleep on the furniture and at least a few sleep on the bed. And then there's the whole cram-7-dogs-plus-myself-and-daughter-into-a-Tahoe-and-camp-in-the-truck-at-races-&-training-weekends-in-the-middle-of-winter thing...I mean what sane person does that? :rolleyes:

Should have seen the look on one mushers face last year when he heard that's what we were doing at a race....looks at me "you're sleeping in your truck in the parking lot?" me..."yeah" he looks at my daughter "and you, you're sleeping in the truck too?" her..."yeah" he looks back and forth between us a couple of times and says "no...c'mon Mom..." like it's abuse or something. I told him we had a heater for in the truck. Then he finds out a skijoring friend is camping behind the building in a tent. Her and her hubby and their dogs. They were leaving the race venue to go somewhere else for dinner out and then returning to camp. He looked at them like they were insane too and said "you're going to go spend about $100 for dinner but you're going coming back here to sleep in a tent?! I'd give up 2 meals to sleep in a warm hotel!" (while his dogs would be outside in their dogtruck of course :rolleyes:) The way I see it...for one thing, racing is expensive enough with the fuel costs to get there and the entry fees. So camping is more cost-effective for me than hotels. And...my dogs are house dogs, they're used to sleeping in the same temperature as me. If I can't do it myself I shouldn't expect them to do it. The first time I ever camped in the truck was before I had the heater and it was -22 that night. Just me and 6 dogs that time and brrrrr! it was chilly but we survived it, the next morning was bright and sunny and we got warmed up moving around doing the morning drop and feed (and after that I bought a heater!)

One other thing about me camping with the dogs...they're just happier to have me with them too. Happy dogs=less stressed dogs. And that's one thing every musher strives for...you're on the road, different schedule than at home...you want to make sure your dogs are eating well, drinking well to stay hydrated and not stressed or they can't perform well. Funny that no one seems to consider that aspect of it when I camp with my dogs. I guess because theirs sleep outside normally anyhow they don't really make the connection that mine are always with me and inside at night and so a race weekend is very different for them

Luvmypitgirls
April 6th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Gail P, I gotta say that sounds like a whole lotta fun to me!
As a kid I loved camping, now I didn't have 9 dogs to go with me but usually one, and it was me and the dog stuffed into my sleeping bag. Until the dog would get to hot and squirm it's way out lol. But it was fun, so I'm guessing camping out with 9 in the back of a Tahoe would be cramped but a lot of fun...assuming none have a gas attack lol ;)

Gail P
April 6th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Gail P, I gotta say that sounds like a whole lotta fun to me!
As a kid I loved camping, now I didn't have 9 dogs to go with me but usually one, and it was me and the dog stuffed into my sleeping bag. Until the dog would get to hot and squirm it's way out lol. But it was fun, so I'm guessing camping out with 9 in the back of a Tahoe would be cramped but a lot of fun...assuming none have a gas attack lol ;)

It is fun, but I only camp with 7 not 9 ;) The other two aren't race dogs and stay home. And I don't sleep in the back with the dogs anymore, tried that once and it didn't work so well, was waaayyyy too cramped and I was really sore after. I have a divider run down the middle of the back section so it's split in half like 2 giant crates. That way I can open one door at a time and get out just a few of the dogs when I want to, instead of having them all trying to jump out. But, for sleeping that doesn't leave a lot of space...when I tried I was curled up on my side with the wheel well at my back, one dog behind my legs, one dog above my head and another one crammed in front of me pinning my sleeping bag down so I couldn't budge at all. When I tried getting him to move he'd sit up a bit, be up against the divider and flop back down pinning me even tighter. I probably should have put more dogs on the other side of the divider and kept space for me :rolleyes: Oh well...now I just sleep in the drivers seat and try to recline it as much as is possible with a crate behind it and the dogs have their space in the back.

Something that was really fun this winter was one of the weekends I spent up at Algonquin Park at their dogsled trails. A bunch of mushers got together to get some training miles on their dogs and it was like a parking lot tailgate party. One guy pulled in with a pickup truck and dog trailer and him and his handler proceeded to unbox and picket about...oh, I dunno, 30 dogs maybe? Then they hauled a huge BBQ out of the trailer and cooked hamburgers for everyone else there. (They slept in the cab of the truck I think). Another guy had just a basic pickup truck with dogbox on it and he slept out on the ground on a foam pad...but...he brought along a generator and microwave for food! :laughing: It was hilarious! :laughing: They were all distance mushers conditioning their dogs for 120-400 mile races where they run a few hours, break for a few and run some more so they did some daytime runs and then went out again at night (after the BBQ :D ) I got to ride along in one of their sleds...first time on a long night run...pretty neat but very cold just sitting in a sled and not moving for about 3 1/2 - 4 hours.

Luvmypitgirls
April 6th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Gail P, I enjoy reading about your adventures:D

I camp out (in my bed) every night with 4 dogs. Of course it doesn't start out that way, they are clever enough to wait until we are asleep and then they ever so gently sneak up and take a spot. Last night I was awoken with a butt full of Goober snout :laughing: I wouldn't have known he was there had he not sneezed lmao.
I usually wake up to a Pit butt in my face, occassionally a Rotti butt, both of which I will take over my hubbys butt !!
I would love to go camping (I love tent camping), my inlaws have a Winnebego but to me that is not camping. Anyway it's hard to find a campground that will let us come with all 4 dogs, especially when they hear Pitbulls and Rotti:frustrated:

Gail P
April 6th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Gail P, I enjoy reading about your adventures:D

I camp out (in my bed) every night with 4 dogs. Of course it doesn't start out that way, they are clever enough to wait until we are asleep and then they ever so gently sneak up and take a spot. Last night I was awoken with a butt full of Goober snout :laughing: I wouldn't have known he was there had he not sneezed lmao.
I usually wake up to a Pit butt in my face, occassionally a Rotti butt, both of which I will take over my hubbys butt !!
I would love to go camping (I love tent camping), my inlaws have a Winnebego but to me that is not camping. Anyway it's hard to find a campground that will let us come with all 4 dogs, especially when they hear Pitbulls and Rotti:frustrated:

Your bedroom sounds like mine :D I usually have 1-3 (or sometimes 4) sleeping on the bed, 1 or 2 under the bed and the rest all around the bed. I love it but unfortunately not everybody does...after a first (maybe only?) visit to my house, somebody in my life recently said to me "I'm just not that doggy" :( ...despite having 27 dogs himself. Outside dogs of course, none in the house underfoot, on the bed etc. One thing to know someone has that many inside, another thing to experience it I guess. :shrug: Whole other thing from just meeting up and running dogs together on the trails. But you know...love me, love my dogs...they've been here for me when nobody else was.

As for the camping with dogs...sometimes a don't ask, don't tell policy works best depending on where you're going. If it's a park campground where they monitor everyone coming and going it's harder to slip the dogs in but sometimes it's possible in other places. Even when I was talking about camping in Algonquin Park, they only have one campground open in the winter and only certain ones at any time where dogs are allowed but us mushers who camp do it right in the parking lot where the dogsled trails are. Nobody has come checking on us yet and kicked us out. I've also camped overnight in one of the gate parking lots...went up on a Friday night, met up with friends and slept in that lot and early the next morning before the office opened we used their self-serve system to get our passes and went to the trailhead for the next night. One night with running water and flush toilets, next night just an outhouse. I had asked about a year or two earlier about camping up there at the trailhead and was told by the gate staff that it was not allowed, that we could use the campground or do backcountry camping out on the trail, but another person who works up there was talking to me in the lot one day and said that if we were pulled up into the end of the lot nobody would bother us about it. If you were backcountry camping your vehicle would be parked in that same lot overnight anyways so I don't see what difference it makes. And if dogs and me are all in the truck sleeping nobody would even know if we're in there or out on the trail anyhow. There is also a tour operator who takes people on trips of varying lengths, sometimes overnight, sometimes multiple nights. The operator's truck and trailer is sometimes parked in the lot, or sometimes they're dropped off but the tour clients vehicles are stay parked there for the duration of the tour. Even if they did come checking I think it would be pretty hard for park staff to determine exactly who's there to camp in the lot and who's heading out on the trail for the night.

Luvmypitgirls
April 7th, 2011, 01:07 AM
I tried to get us into a couple different campgrounds a couple years ago, and was turned down when asked to disclose what type of dogs I had.:frustrated:
I like roughing it, and if it were just me back country camping would definately be an option, but I have my son who is in a wheelchair.
So we now just take a lot of day trips, some the dogs accompany us on and some they can't.

mummummum
April 7th, 2011, 01:57 AM
Hmmmm LMP... :lightbulb: Sounds like a fantastic bizness opportunity just waiting to happen for a entrepreneurial Pets member!

:sorry::offtopic:

Luvmypitgirls
April 7th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Hmmmm LMP... :lightbulb: Sounds like a fantastic bizness opportunity just waiting to happen for a entrepreneurial Pets member!

:sorry::offtopic:

Lmao..uh huh, I'll open my campground, it will be call "Pitbull Acres", all dogs welcome when accompanied by a responsible guardian!
Now if I could just win the lottery to purchase a chunk of land and have it serviced...ohhhh to dream to dream.:)