Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Treating Parvo Puppy

H.P.
March 22nd, 2011, 12:10 PM
I have a foster puppy, 2-3 month old that I am treating for Parvo, I am working with a vet. On day 6 he started to be able to keep down some Pedialite, today, day 7, I have started giving him tiny amounts of chicken baby food also (as the vet recommended). He is still throwing up, about every 6 hours, despite Famotidine injections twice daily. He is also on antibiotic injections and sub Q fluids. My question is if anybody has additional suggestions on how to help with the nausea, supplements, homeopathic, nutritional suggestions, etc. We are also having trouble keeping his blood sugar up, due to the sub Q fluids, and using nutri-cal gel for that. My vet is open to ideas, but not well educated in alternative treatments.

Thanks!
Holly

BenMax
March 22nd, 2011, 12:18 PM
Parvo is terrible. So sorry the little one is going through this...and you as well of course.
I cannot add to your thread as I have never personally dealt with treating parvo (knock on wood).
Hopefully someone can help you with suggestions.
I just wanted to acknowledge your thread and I wish you the very best. Hang in there.:grouphug:

kathryn
March 22nd, 2011, 12:28 PM
Sorry to say that as much as I think that natural/homeopathic remedies are quite useful for many things, Parvo is not going to be one of them. I have seen a few dogs and puppies die from parvo and it is not pretty. It doesn't happen very often where I live because there are many low cost/free vaccine clinics in the area, but every so often a dog/puppy(s) will come into a shelter with it.

Sounds like you are doing everything you can. A/D canned food works very good for stuff like this, as gross as it is. My foster kitten I have now was in pretty bad shape when I got her and I just did SubQ fluids (lactated ringers), Nutrical, force fed A/D and baby food, Doxy, Clavamox and Cefa-Drops, Terramycin for her eyes and sores.. I've had her since the 5th and she is doing fine now.

Parvo is hard to beat.. I don't know of many pups that have survived it even with hospitalization. Good luck

H.P.
March 22nd, 2011, 01:07 PM
Thanks, I will try the A/D food, if I can find it locally. I was just hoping that there might be something along the homeopathic line that would help him with the nausea.

The vet said that the strain of Parvo that they are seeing here right now is a mild strain, and that most dogs do not require hospitalization, that really their chance of recovery at home was about the same as if hospitalized.

Now that he is keeping stuff down as long as he is, I have some hope that he will pull through:shrug: It seems to me he should be getting some nutrients from what he is taking orally, if it stays down 6-8 hours or so.

mikischo
March 22nd, 2011, 01:16 PM
The A/D is a prescription food made by Hill's and your vet will likely have it in supply. I am not fond of most of the veterinarian prescription foods but this product is an exception and is specially formulated for animals that are convalescing.

Sending :goodvibes::goodvibes: that your puppy has a complete and speedy recovery.

SamIam
March 22nd, 2011, 01:42 PM
Peppermint or peppermint tea can help with nausea. If giving tea, he may or may not take to it; if not, you can tip his head back, give the tea into the corner of the mouth, slowly, using a syringe, and he will swallow it. You can give oral electrolytes such as Pedialyte the same way to help with hydration. Nutri-cal is a good way to combat hypoglycemia and stimulate the appetite as well. However, as far as I know sub-Q fluids do not actually cause hypoglycemia, but it would be fighting the illness that takes a lot of energy, and the inability to digest his food properly to absorb the calories. Your vet can help you out with the right amounts for your puppy's size and condition.

a/d is a veterinary prescription diet from Hills. Your vet will carry a/d or a similar convalescence formula. They are wet canned foods, which could help with hydration, and have a very fine/pasty texture to make digestion easier. You might want to talk to your vet about which one is best, as you can get what you need from another clinic, too. One advantage of a/d over some of the others is it is very bland and that might be better in the case of nausea.

hazelrunpack
March 22nd, 2011, 02:03 PM
Poor little tyke. :grouphug: No experience with parvo so no advice to give, Holly, but I did want to wish you best of luck with this little soul! :goodvibes: Bless you for fostering him in his time of need!

sugarcatmom
March 22nd, 2011, 02:58 PM
Ask your vet about Vit B12 (cobalamin) injections, which can sometimes be helpful in cases of extreme GI distress. Here's a link from Texas A&M University: http://vetmed.tamu.edu/gilab/research/cobalamin-information

Also, maybe the pup needs a dextrose solution in the subQ fluids? How are the rest of his electrolyte levels?

SamIam
March 22nd, 2011, 03:51 PM
Also, maybe the pup needs a dextrose solution in the subQ fluids? How are the rest of his electrolyte levels?

I don't think dextrose works well subcutaneously, it is usually just in intravenous solutions. But on that note, maybe IV fluids would be a good idea for this little guy?

Longblades
March 22nd, 2011, 04:15 PM
I'm glad to hear it's a mild strain. My first thought was, why isn't he at the Vet's? My girl had it at 6 months, so older and fully vaccinated, but it was a bad strain and she was at the Vet's for 5 days and on IV for three and a half. We nearly lost her. Sorry I can't offer any help but it is interesting you can handle this at home. I agree at home is best if at all possible. Good wishes.

Melinda
March 22nd, 2011, 04:16 PM
when our beagle pup had parvo she was hospitalized for 2 weeks and fed/medicated intravenously (sp?), after the 4rth day a "helper" was hired to feed her one teaspoon of food and water on the hour every hour. once home she had to be given a teaspoon of pepto bismal before each meal, that went on for a good month, it was to prevent nausea. she lived to the ripe age of 14 1/2. I wish you well with your pup

mummummum
March 22nd, 2011, 04:19 PM
Excellent link Sugarcatmom.

I'm taking it that you have tried bismuth and it was unsuccessful. Have you tried slippery elm for nausea and general gut-health You can buy it at a health food store. This may not be the best link but it will give you an idea.

http://www.motherearthherbs.com/elm.html

Rgeurts
March 22nd, 2011, 04:40 PM
I haven't had to deal with parvo, fortunately, but one of my pups has had numerous issues with gi upset/vomiting/diarrhea etc. We see both western and holistic vets. The holisitic vet suggested ginger root tea. You boil the raw root for a few minutes, let it cool and give a teaspoon every 15 minutes for an hour. If he needs more, you can give it every 15 for minutes for a couple of hours. It did help ours with the nausea. Another thing they had us use is Sulcrate suspension. You give it at least one hour prior to eating or taking any medication (and at least one hour after medication). It coats the stomach and was sometimes the only way we could get him to eat. I don't know if that can be given with the parvo, but maybe ask your vet.

Good luck to you and the little one! :grouphug:

kathryn
March 22nd, 2011, 04:41 PM
Hi Robyn *wave*

I also forgot to mention I used Geneflora in my kittens A/D for a while. It helped alot with the runny poo!

Rgeurts
March 22nd, 2011, 04:44 PM
Hi Robyn *wave*

I also forgot to mention I used Geneflora in my kittens A/D for a while. It helped alot with the runny poo!

Hi Kathryn!! :D
Is geneflora similar to fortiflora?

Both of ours get that as well!

mummummum
March 22nd, 2011, 04:45 PM
That sounds familiar I think I used the sulcrate with Declan when he was so sick and it was that or hospital. It worked quite well and quickly too as I recall. The only thing I find with ginger ~ I love it ~ but Ceili, my grrrl with the gut issues, won't go near it. The smell is unusual I'm guessing. I used to cook with minced ginger when I was making their food all the time and she was okay with it ~ just not in liquid form. Good suggestions!

kathryn
March 22nd, 2011, 04:47 PM
Hi Kathryn!! :D
Is geneflora similar to fortiflora?

Both of ours get that as well!

I think so. The breeder that rescued my naked foster kitten had suggested that, but I already had geneflora on hand.
http://www.amazon.com/Cycles-Life-Geneflora-Pets/dp/B000NVBZ5K

It made a big difference with her tummy problems!

Rgeurts
March 22nd, 2011, 04:52 PM
The only thing I find with ginger ~ I love it ~ but Ceili, my grrrl with the gut issues, won't go near it. The smell is unusual I'm guessing.

LoL ya, Nookie wouldn't go near it willingly. We had to give it by syringe :rolleyes:

I think so. The breeder that rescued my naked foster kitten had suggested that, but I already had geneflora on hand.
http://www.amazon.com/Cycles-Life-Geneflora-Pets/dp/B000NVBZ5K

It made a big difference with her tummy problems!

I don't see where that could be harmful at all. I know it's a great immune system booster as well as having great tummy benefits. That may be beneficial with the parvo?

kathryn
March 22nd, 2011, 05:04 PM
I don't think dextrose works well subcutaneously, it is usually just in intravenous solutions. But on that note, maybe IV fluids would be a good idea for this little guy?

You can do either for the majority of bagged fluids, unless it specifically says not to on the bag. IV is going to be more easily absorbed at a rapid rate, but it's generally not possible for most care givers to be able to do IV fluids.

Here is a bag of Normosol I have on hand with some other fluids

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/4199/photo39z.jpg

The problem with some of the electrolyte solutions is the can cause nausea, so it's kind of a loose-loose thing..

mummummum
March 22nd, 2011, 05:23 PM
Kathryn something is tweeking in my limited brain about dextrose solutions causing infections and skin irritation happening at injection sites.

mikischo
March 22nd, 2011, 05:33 PM
Yes, as SamIam already mentioned, dextrose does not work well subcutaneously.

It can result in infection at the site of injection or severe skin irritation resulting in dead tissue. It would also sting.

H.P.
March 22nd, 2011, 06:54 PM
Things have improved greatly over the last few hours I think, he has not vomited in 6.5 hours, and he seems to have a bit of an appetite back. I am no longer forcing fluids but limiting them! I hope that we have turned a corner. Thank you all for the ideas! There is always such a wonderful fount of knowledge here!

Rgeurts--love your sig line about the sick and special needs babies! I am trying to convince my boss that I should be able to use sick days to care for this little guy!

Rgeurts
March 22nd, 2011, 07:30 PM
Things have improved greatly over the last few hours I think, he has not vomited in 6.5 hours, and he seems to have a bit of an appetite back. I am no longer forcing fluids but limiting them! I hope that we have turned a corner. Thank you all for the ideas! There is always such a wonderful fount of knowledge here!

Rgeurts--love your sig line about the sick and special needs babies! I am trying to convince my boss that I should be able to use sick days to care for this little guy!

So glad to hear things are improving for him!! Hopefully he makes a speedy and full recovery :)

And yes, we should be able to use sick days. They are, afterall, our "kids"!! My boss has been very understanding, thankfully! I'd hate to have to quit ;)

sugarcatmom
March 22nd, 2011, 08:18 PM
I don't think dextrose works well subcutaneously, it is usually just in intravenous solutions.

http://www.smileys4me.com/getsmiley.php?show=4563 Thanks for pointing that out. http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/angry/duh.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)

hazelrunpack
March 22nd, 2011, 08:59 PM
Great news, H.P.!!! :fingerscr he's turned the corner now! :goodvibes:

rainbow
March 22nd, 2011, 11:35 PM
H.P., I just saw this thread now and glad to hear the little guy is doing well :thumbs up ...I hope he has a speedy recovery. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

mummummum
March 23rd, 2011, 08:43 AM
:thumbs up Good news! Keep us posted H.P.

Love4himies
March 23rd, 2011, 06:18 PM
Any updates today?

I hope he has continued to improve :pray: :goodvibes: :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
March 23rd, 2011, 08:15 PM
Sending some more :goodvibes: and looking forward to some good news :fingerscr

Marty11
March 23rd, 2011, 09:31 PM
I have been following this thread lots of prayers for this puppy :pray:

mikischo
March 26th, 2011, 07:06 AM
:pray::goodvibes: that your puppy has continued to improve.

Please give us an update when you get a chance.

H.P.
March 26th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Benny has turned the corner, and is getting better now. He lost 2.7 of his 7.6 pounds, but he is now eating boiled chicken and rice, with a little yogurt, and has put back on a little weight, probably mostly fluid, but I'll take it. Everything is staying down, and we have been able to switch to oral antibiotics, so, no more shots, which makes us both happy!:):dog:He is very peacefully sleeping on my lap, and spoiled beyond belief at this point! My camera is having technical difficulties, but here is the little guy. Thanks for all the :goodvibes:

mummummum
March 26th, 2011, 07:23 PM
What a sweet little munchkin. :cloud9::lovestruck: Thanks for the update HP ~ I'll just bet he's spoiled ! Glad to hear he's on the mend. :thumbs up

BenMax
March 26th, 2011, 07:23 PM
OMG what a cute.:lovestruck:
You ROCK H.P.:thumbs up

Love4himies
March 26th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Yay :thumbs up :highfive: I am so glad, sounds like he is in the clear now :D :lovestruck:.

mikischo
March 26th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I'm so happy to hear he is doing so well. What an adorable boy he is. :lovestruck:

Thanks for the update.

Shaykeija
March 26th, 2011, 11:49 PM
What a little cuddle bug....:cloud9:

Goldfields
March 27th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Good luck H.P.. I had a 14 wk old ACD pup get Parvo way back when the first outbreak happened in Australia, and this was despite her having had her 6 week and 12 week vaccination. 3 days of trips to the vet, a further 3 days on a drip at the clinic, bur she was lucky, she recuperated quickly.This area did lose a lot of unvaccinated Greyhounds though.
Hope your poor pup is a lot better each day.

hazelrunpack
March 27th, 2011, 11:10 AM
H.P., that's a great update! And what an incredible cutie you have there! :lovestruck:

Sending :goodvibes: for a continued recovery!!!

Melinda
March 27th, 2011, 11:31 AM
oh the poor little fart, I'm so glad all is going well now, good luck.

H.P.
May 7th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Just thought I would add another update, Benny is doing well, and is no longer a foster, but an addition to my family. He is happy and healthy, well, he just got neutered, so maybe not so happy. :p , but curled up on the couch sleeping. I always wanted to try agility, so we are going to give it a try, just as a hobby. He weighs 11 pounds now!

pattymac
May 7th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Oh he's a cutie!! You'd never know he was sick! He's got such big brown eyes!

hazelrunpack
May 7th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Congratulations on the new cutie-patootie addition, H.P.!!! Benny is a doll! :flirt: You did such a great job with him, getting him healthy again! :grouphug:

chico2
May 8th, 2011, 05:19 PM
H.P,I just finished reading the whole post and what a wonderful ending,the little guy is healthy and gets to stay in the home he knows and loves,a very,very happy ending,thank you:grouphug:

Melinda
May 9th, 2011, 05:22 AM
wow, he looks great, happy and healthy, so glad he's a "failed" foster!!

livedust
September 6th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Our little girl, Clementine, is a 10 week old Lab / Border Collie who was just diagnosed w/ parvo. As a 1st time dog owner, I wasn't even aware of this nasty 'plague' - shame on me...
All circumstances aside, both my Wife & I had a 'feeling' something was wrong the day we got her - she looked right through me & I made an emotional decision to take her. In retrospect, as hard as it is now, I am happy we took her as she would not have had a chance living where she was. I don't think she much of a chance right now, but at least she was loved for a few days & I am trying to remain positive & hopeful.
She is currently at the vet on IV, and fighting very hard.
She had her 1st bloody stool overnight, but has also shown positive signs - heart is in good shape so far, she is standing up, holding her head up & her eyes are much clearer then they have been...
Has anyone seen a puppy survive this horrible disease?
Any opinions on vet treatment vs. home? The thought of her being all alone there is killing me...
Thanks

Love4himies
September 6th, 2011, 11:47 AM
So sorry to hear about your puppy :grouphug:. Yes puppies can survive parvo, the key is proper vet care, which is sounds like she is getting.

I know it's hard to see her at the vet, but IMHO, it is the best place for her to be. The IV will keep her hydrated, which is so very important in the healing process. :grouphug: :goodvibes: :fingerscr

BenMax
September 6th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Yes puppies and dogs can survive with proper vet care. Really, in the end, it is also the pup that must have a stronger immune system to assist him/her to fight. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your puppy.

Melinda
September 6th, 2011, 01:52 PM
23 years ago we had a 4 month old beagle pup with parvo...we had the hospital treat her, back then chances were slim....we had her for almost 15 yrs.........:lovestruck:

livedust
September 6th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the info & well wishes - sincerely appreciated!
Just spoke w/ the vet & she has had recent episodes of blood in her stool, but also has not been vomiting & is showing positive signs in terms of her energy levels & alertness i.e, standing up and walking around her cage, etc...
Am not getting my hopes too high, but have my fingers crossed tighter then ever...

chico2
September 6th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Livedust,lot's of prayers and good vibes for your little pup,it is heartbreaking to leave any animal at the vet,but if that means he'll live a long healthy life with you,it's all worth it:pray::goodvibes::goodvibes:
Please keep us updated:pawprint:

hazelrunpack
September 6th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Oh, definitely think positively! Treatment of parvo is still a dicey prospect, but the chances of survival and complete recovery are so much better than they used to be! :goodvibes: And it sounds like she's doing well! Lots of good thoughts and prayers heading your way!
And yes, pls keep us updated on her progress! :grouphug:

livedust
September 7th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Our little girl, Clementine, made it through the night & the vet told me this morning that she has passed the critical stage! That being said, she is not out of the woods, but her prospects look good!
She had zero bloody stool last night & minimal vomiting with no blood!
Our vet said that we caught it early & that it was not the mutated F-strain - thank God...
She was very happy to see us last night, she stood right up & wagged her tail & gave my daughter nose kisses!
I kept telling her how loved she is, how tough she is & how many frisbees she will be able to chase real soon! Not too mention antagonizing our 13 year old feline queen of the house - Luna!
This morning she was very groggy due to the drug that slows down vomiting, but her vitals are good, her heart is strong & she doesn't seem to be in pain.
Our vet, Dr. Benjamin Joseph, has been great throughout this ordeal.
He said he would be introducing water & food later this afternoon after her fog lifts a little. If she responds well, we may be able to take her home tomorrow & start home care!
Please keep up w/ the prayers & healing vibes, she needs them.
Thank you sincerely for your support folks, it is comforting to know that people care.
One more thought - I am doing an ozone (O3) shock in my house today (sans Luna of course!) to kill the residual virus. I have done much research over the last few days, & studies show that ozone destroys this virus as much, if not more effectively, then bleach. It also kills mold & other airborne bacteria too. Please keep this in mind if you or anyone you know needs to sanitize your homes in the future - hopefully not because of parvo - it is a hideous 'plague'...
thanks again!

BenMax
September 7th, 2011, 01:48 PM
So glad to hear this.
I am sure that you are aware as you have done alot of research, that the virus remains within 6 months. When she gets home, make sure that she is not in contact with any dogs during this time frame. Also, when you take her out, try to ensure she has her stools in the same place so that the virus does not spread to another animal. I would recommend ensuring that she does not do her waste where other dogs may sniff around.
I realize you cannot control everything, but at the same time it's good practice to try and spare any other animal this grief.
Even though an animal does get vaccinated against Parvo, this does not mean a dog cannot contract it regardless.
Best to you and your puppy. More good vibes coming your way.:goodvibes:.
Hang in there.

Sylvie
September 7th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Good news, I am so glad she is improving and also that you came into her life. Please follow BM's advice as she knows what she is talking about.

Please keep us posted on her progress. :pray:'s and :goodvibes: going your way. Also, a :grouphug: for you.

livedust
September 7th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks again for prayers, healing vibes & well wishes, very much appreciated!
Yes, I'm aware of the lasting abilities of the parvovirus outdoors, this virus is evil. Indoors, we have bleached all floors, surfaces, bottoms of shoes & fabrics that she came in touch with. As I mentioned earlier, I also did an ozone shock treatment on my main floor today and will be doing my basement & upstairs tomorrow & Friday. Knowing the properties of O3 quite well, I am very confident that I can destroy the virus indoors. This will mean a series of shock treatments in all areas over the next month as I am aware that we can still reintroduce it with our shoes & clothes. We will be extremely cautious w/ her & other pets over the next few months.
Have to go, work is done, going to see my girl!!!

livedust
September 7th, 2011, 04:51 PM
1 more thing - does anyone know about her chances of having a relapse?
Thanks again

Melinda
September 7th, 2011, 05:20 PM
well like I had stated, my beagle lived till she was almost 15 yrs old and back then they just said to wash her area etc , its more strident today and for a good reason!! I can't say as I've ever heard of a relapse. In one article I've read it says they are probably immune to parvo for life, let me see if I can find it.

Melinda
September 7th, 2011, 05:23 PM
http://www.2ndchance.info/parvo.htm

BenMax
September 7th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Yes a puppy can relapse but this is very rare and I have only heard of one case. Puppies that make a quick recovery, or so it seems, we get alittle overzealous with activity. Keep the puppy as calm as possible and limit the exercise until the vet gives a complete bill of health. They need the time to regain strength and build up their system.

Just a quick note to anyone who thinks their puppy or dog has the virus. There are many occasions where a dog will show all the signs, including the vomiting and bloody diarhhea. What I have noticed is false positives form worm infestations. Alot of vets do not consider that the signs and symptoms are due to the worms. Based on the positive parvo results they will assume it is parvo. Keep in mind, the treatment for this would be the same as it would be for parvo which is subcue fluids and other remedies. Also, a deworming but to be careful not to over de-worm as it can cause death as well.

There are false negatives and false positives. Ensure to ask the vet to check the fecal matter for any worms as well. Very important.

BenMax
September 7th, 2011, 05:32 PM
well like I had stated, my beagle lived till she was almost 15 yrs old and back then they just said to wash her area etc , its more strident today and for a good reason!! I can't say as I've ever heard of a relapse. In one article I've read it says they are probably immune to parvo for life, let me see if I can find it.

Melinda, there are certain breeds that are more suseptible to the parvo virus such as rotties and chocolate labs. It has something to do with their stomach lining if I remember correctly. These breeds are very volunerable to the virus.
In essense, no dog is safe from the virus.

I know alot of people are against vaccinating their dogs yearly, but this is one vaccine I absolutely insist on for my pack.

I know when I was a child I was vaccinated against measles. Since that time I have had 2 instances of the outbreak. I really think it depends on the immune system of the individual which dictates whether or not they are more suspectible or not.

livedust
September 8th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Interesting, I never came across any info about worm infestations causing false positive tests...
The foster / rescue lady that we adopted from de-wormed her right in front of me before we took her home. This was Aug.31st. The next day she had 2 bowel movements w/ very obvious round worms present, I mean loaded...Do you think this is possibly what happened to her? I know she had her 1st shot on Aug.28, I confirmed this w/ the vet who gave it to her. My vet told me that the fact she had the shot most likely made it worse for her as he believes that the virus was already present. Regardless, she was /is, very sick - but I'm now wondering if worms were the suspect...Do you know of any way to find out for sure after the fact? My gut feeling tells me that it may have been both, is that possible?
Thanks again, you folks have made this ordeal much more comforting.
P.S. - my vet told me earlier this evening that he believes that Clementine has passed the critical period & is now slowly beginning to heal - I can't wait to have her home, she is a special little girl!

BenMax
September 8th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Interesting, I never came across any info about worm infestations causing false positive tests...
The foster / rescue lady that we adopted from de-wormed her right in front of me before we took her home. This was Aug.31st. The next day she had 2 bowel movements w/ very obvious round worms present, I mean loaded...Do you think this is possibly what happened to her? I know she had her 1st shot on Aug.28, I confirmed this w/ the vet who gave it to her. My vet told me that the fact she had the shot most likely made it worse for her as he believes that the virus was already present. Regardless, she was /is, very sick - but I'm now wondering if worms were the suspect...Do you know of any way to find out for sure after the fact? My gut feeling tells me that it may have been both, is that possible?
Thanks again, you folks have made this ordeal much more comforting.
P.S. - my vet told me earlier this evening that he believes that Clementine has passed the critical period & is now slowly beginning to heal - I can't wait to have her home, she is a special little girl!

Some of the worms and parasites are not visually seen. Tests must be done specifically for giardia and coccidea (spelling...) as they are only seen under a microscope. And yes, false positives can and do happen. I have removed dogs from shelters where they tested positive. Once I got them out and into vet clinics the positive results had nothing to do with parvo, but a worm infestation.

So glad to hear your pup is recovering.

chico2
September 8th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I am happy to read he's improving,he was very lucky to be adopted by someone like you and your wife!!

livedust
September 8th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks again folks - because of prayers & healing vibes from people like you, little Clementine is coming home tonight!
The vet said that she is still sick, but needs to get back to a loving environment - she is getting depressed & needs love and support from her 'pack'.
As I am still concerned about he health, could any of you offer some advice on home care in terms of things I should have around just in case? Through my research, I have been thinking about pedialite, chicken broth, probiotic yogurt & a possibly a diotamaceous earth enema...
Thoughts?

Thanks again!

BenMax
September 8th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Glad to hear that the puppy is home bound.
Check with the vet as they are the best source to advise. Pedialite however is very good to have. Again - check with them first as they have been treating.
Best of luck to you all.
Your puppy is very lucky to have such a wonderful family.

livedust
September 8th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Little Clementine is home, that is the good news!
That being said, I am still extremely worried about her, she seems so weak & her breathing seems heavy / stressed. Is this normal? Could it just be that she is weakened from the virus? I hope so...I plan to stay up with her all night to keep an eye on her. She has been prescibed an antibiotic & our vet gave me instuctions to use pedialite every 1/2 hour & to force feed 10ml's of chicken broth every hour until she will eat on her own - does this sound right? Any idea as to how long before she should show some positive signs of healing?
Thanks!

mikischo
September 8th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Good news that little Clementine is home.:thumbs up

That being said, it has only been two or three days since she was diagnosed so she is still a very sick little girl and it is going to take a while. I'm sorry I don't really have any advice to offer. I trust that the vet would not have said you could bring her home if he didn't feel confident that the worst danger was over. Her little tummy won't be able to handle much right now so it makes sense to me that he would initially prescribe small but frequent feedings of pedialite and chicken broth.

I know it is hard to see your little girl so sick.:grouphug: Of course if she is vomiting or shows any other negative signs you would contact your vet and he will decide if any other steps need to be taken. It is important not to overload her system but it is also very important that she doesn't get dehydrated.

Sending :goodvibes::goodvibes: that she starts to feel better very soon. Please keep us updated.

livedust
September 9th, 2011, 08:14 AM
rough night...
not sure if there has been progress or not...
She is having a hard time keeping anything down, I'm guessing this is somewhat normal after everything she has been through. She did respond positively to pedialite - she got up & walked around, but I'm worried about the fact that she can't keep any food down.
She is sleeping peaceully as we speak, but am concerned that if she can't keep any food down, or her antibiotic for that matter, that she can't get stronger.
Taking her back to the vet is not an option, we're strapped financially. I am willing to do whatever I can do to help her, but I don't know if I am doing the right thing.
Parvo SUCKS

Melinda
September 9th, 2011, 08:38 AM
good luck with your puppy, maybe call the vet for some info. I'm sure BenMax will be around to answer your questions.

livedust
September 9th, 2011, 12:56 PM
We scraped the bottom of the barrel & took her back to the vet for 1 more day / night. I just spoke with the vet & he is concerned that she is not keeping anything down & not eating on her own. He believes that the fact that she was vaccinated after the fact, and de-wormed has weakened her little body considerably & made it very hard for her to recover :( he believes that she still has a chance, but she needs to pull through very soon - please pray extra hard.
I can't believe how tough this little warrior is - even through all of this, she has been holding her head high & was even walking around last night & this morning.
I'm trying to remain positive, but I will not let her suffer, she already has so much...

mikischo
September 9th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Sending lots of :goodvibes::goodvibes::pray::pray: and positive thoughts your way.

Hopefully things will start to turn around for Clementine very soon.:grouphug:

hazelrunpack
September 9th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Sending :goodvibes: for Clementine!! Praying for a quick turnaround so she can come home to stay this time!!! :grouphug: Hang in there! You're doing all you can and then some...

growler~GateKeeper
September 10th, 2011, 02:55 AM
:goodvibes: :goodvibes: & :fingerscr :fingerscr for Clementine

My last dog had parvo as a puppy & was in the vet hosp on IV & a watered down gruel of canned dog food for several days. I don't have any first hand experience to give you as this was all before I got him ~ when he was 6 years old.

Hopefully your vet will allow you to set up a payment plan to allow for the treatments your girl needs ~ it doesn't hurt to ask :goodvibes:

livedust
September 10th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Our little warrior, Clementine...
Had a vomit / diarrhea free night last night!!!
The doc called this am & said we better come & take a look - we arrived to see a clean kennel & 1 tired, worn out little puppy - but very much alive!!!
Not getting our hopes up too much, but it looks like she may have finally turned the corner
Thank you so much for your prayers & positive vibe projections - they're working!

mikischo
September 10th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I'm so glad to hear the news.

Sending more :pray::pray::goodvibes::goodvibes: for continuous improvement for Clementine.

Please continue to keep us updated.

hazelrunpack
September 10th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Hurrah! Here's for more improvements each passing day! :goodvibes:

livedust
September 11th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Clementine is a survivor!
She has fought hard & is now building up her strength - she should be home for good tomorrow! We saw her today, she was throwing her head around, smacking her lab tail on ther side of the kennel & was very happy to see her family! She drank on her own & showed definite interest in food - just didn't want to try it yet...no parvo symtoms for over 2 days now!
Thank you so much for prayers & well wishes, sincerely appreciated!

mikischo
September 11th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Hurray for Clementine. She is indeed a little fighter.:thumbs up

Of course it helps that she also has a wonderful family.:highfive:

I am so glad to hear the news. Please continue to keep us updated.

:goodvibes::goodvibes: that she is completely back to herself very soon.

Of course we will then be demanding pics.;)

hazelrunpack
September 11th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Oh, wow! How wonderful! :grouphug:

I'll add some extra :goodvibes: for a successful and lasting homecoming tomorrow...and yes, we're going to need some pics when she's home, settled, and on the mend. :D

livedust
September 12th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Thank you sincerely to everyone for all of your prayers & well wishes for our little girl, Clementine.
She is an extremely tough, resilient, special (& expensive!) little pup who is going to have a hopefully, long & happy life!
When my daughter, Thea & I went to see her this morning, she tried to jump out of the cage & make a run for it ("gonna make a jailbreak...") - she is ready to come home! She is now a mad puppy - she has had enough of that place!!! I pick her up tonight - can't wait! Thanks again folks.

livedust
September 12th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Very new to the sight, how do I post pictures? Thanks!

Marty11
September 12th, 2011, 10:00 AM
I've been following this thread. I'm very happy to hear that your pooch is doing better. :)

mikischo
September 12th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Sounds like she's going to be one happy puppy to get out of "jail" and be back with her family.:)

Please continue to keep us updated.

To add pictures from your computer to this thread just start a new post and click on attachments (the paper clip icon). You can then browse for the picture files and upload them to your post. Looking forward to seeing pics of little Clementine.:D

livedust
September 12th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Her she is! Long, lanky & ready to be a puppy!

Marty11
September 12th, 2011, 11:31 AM
She's beautiful :thumbs up

Melinda
September 12th, 2011, 11:32 AM
oh she is gorgeous, so glad it all turned out well!!

hazelrunpack
September 12th, 2011, 10:07 PM
omd, is she a doll!!! :flirt: What a little beauty! So glad she's coming home today!!! :goodvibes:

mikischo
September 13th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Clementine is an absolutely beautiful girl!:lovestruck:

So wonderful that she is back home with her family. Please keep us updated on how things are going.

livedust
September 14th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Back to the vet for more treatment...
Possible coccidia, possible giardia (sp.?), possibly both, if that's possible?
Poor Puppy...& damn the so-called 'rescue' lady we picked her up from...
The bright side is that she has a chance at a nice life - if she is not too damaged to recover...
All things considered - I cannot recall a tougher little canine / feline soul that I ever have come across in my life - she is a true warrior, and a very loved one @ that.

hazelrunpack
September 14th, 2011, 12:06 PM
*sigh* Yes, it's possible to have both. Did a fecal sample turn something up? Will she have to stay at the vet or can you give her the meds at home?

You're such an :angel: for working so hard to get her healthy! :grouphug:

Melinda
September 14th, 2011, 12:38 PM
can you not talk to the rescue and see if they can help you over this financial hump??

Rgeurts
September 14th, 2011, 03:32 PM
The bright side is that she has a chance at a nice life - if she is not too damaged to recover...
All things considered - I cannot recall a tougher little canine / feline soul that I ever have come across in my life - she is a true warrior, and a very loved one @ that.

I'm sorry she had to go back again. Though I haven't commented, I have followed along. What a wonderful person you are for taking such good care of this sweet little girl. I hope that whatever her issues are now, they can be easily resolved. She is just gorgeous! And as suggested above, I would be contacting the rescue to see if they can aid you a bit financially.

I understand what you're going through... I have one just ike yours (healthwise). If there is anything he can possibly have, he gets it :(

BenMax
September 14th, 2011, 04:14 PM

Very possible and likely for both these parasites. Many animals from high traffic dog areas get this. Even in dog parks by the way.
This is very difficult to detect and 'normal' deworming does not kill these off. Not easy to treat, but good to say...treatable.

Best of luck.:goodvibes:

livedust
September 14th, 2011, 04:58 PM
The 'rescue' lady, will not return my phone calls.
I now suspect that she is not a 'rescue' at all, but a dealer.
I know that is harsh, but if she cared, she would certainly be more helpful and forthright.
Out of concern for other puppies & families - not scorn, I have issued a warning about her so-called 'rescue' operation.
Back to the most important aspect of this particular thread - Clementine.
Regardless of what she / we are going through, I believe that she came into our lives for a reason. She is a tough little girl, and if she can pull through & leave this horrible experience behind, she will be extremely loved & respected for life.
Thank you again for all of your kind thoughts & wishes - they have helped make a tough time, better.
Will keep you posted on the little girl...

livedust
September 15th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Clementine is back @ the vet today...
The vet cannot get a large enough stool sample to confirm, but his guess is coccidia. He was able to confirm some other bacteria that begins with a 'C', I didn't understand, we were on the phone.
She is drinking on her own, but not eating. He now believes that she has developed ulcers which would explain the vomitting...
This would also explain the lack of appetite.
I pick her up again tonight, and he instructed me to give her immodium to calm her stomach down, and to force feed electrolytes w/ a meat & rice puree.
The coccidia medicine that he administred this morning should begin to work tomorrow.
My Wife & I have agreed that if we don't see any marked progress in the next 2 days, that we will have to put her to sleep - we will not let her suffer anymore.
This has been one of the most horrible experiences of my life - still hoping for a happy ending, but am beginning to resign myself to the fact that there is a good chance she won't pull through...Poor little girl, so not fair... :(

mikischo
September 16th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I'm so sorry your girl is still having serious issues.:grouphug::grouphug:

It is obvious you are doing everything you can for Clementine. Whatever the outcome you have our support.

Sending more :pray::pray::goodvibes::goodvibes: that things will start to turn around for Clementine.

Thinking of you. Please continue to let us know how things are going.

hazelrunpack
September 16th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Oh, no! You and Clementine deserve to catch a break! I hope she's starting to show some improvement on the coccidia meds already! :goodvibes:

She's young and she's a fighter, so she's got that going for her. You're doing all you can and more :grouphug: She's obviously very well-loved!

Pls keep us informed on her progress. You're in my thoughts and prayers!

renegaderuby
September 17th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Just curious how benny is now doing. And that poor little clementine....??? Sending up lots of prayers!!!

ohyasayswho
September 17th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I too am a witness to this virus. Brought home a rescue Sunday night, and something didn't seem right. Monday symptoms began to show up and I thought it was a combination of stress...re-homed and new diet. Over night diarreha began with minimal vomiting. Went to Vet's Tuesday to make appt. for first shots and ask for an opinion on my 8 week old pups condition. The pup Luna, continued to get worse over night. When she had a b.m. that smelled like death, I knew it was much more than stress related. The vet on Weds. admitted her immediately and has been there since. Still not eating, though water intake has begun again with no vomiting. Unlit today the vets were not willing to lean one way or the other on her outcome. Today I was informed that unless she takes a turn for the worse tonight and tomorrow I should have her home on Monday. From what I have read about parvo the 5 day timeline for Luna seems consistant.
For the other ones here who have pups fighting this, I have an understanding both emotionally, finanically and what I can only describe as helplessly. I feel helpless and second guess myself often. Then, as someone on here has in their signoff, something about looking in the eyes of a puppy and seeing a soul, and I remember. I'm merely a witness to this. Luna is the one struggling through this. Ya, the vet's bill will be .......extreme, possible $2000.00 and I ask myself "for a dog" ? Yes, for a dog that has a sparkle in it's eye. Here's to the upcoming diet of Kraft dinner and hopeful years of looking at the sparkle in our dogs eye's.
(p.s. a well deserved thank you to the vet's who are there for these dog's)

livedust
September 20th, 2011, 02:32 PM
1st off, very sorry to hear about your pup, Luna, 'Oh'...
Luna is our feline Queen's name! Sending healing vibes to her & hope she pulls through...
Little Clementine is pulling through & finally turning the corner towards becoming healthy! She is one tough little pup - that is for sure!
She has now been home for 4 days & getting stronger everyday. She is eating anything she can get her little paws on & beginning to have regular, normal BM's. She is still weak, probably operating @ about 50%, but we're seeing improvement & growth everyday - she is starting to show her personality, and I think she will be a handful when she completely recovers! She is now sleeping peacefully @ my retail store, her secondary infection medicine makes her drowsy, but tomorrow is the last day of pills - she will be happy w/ that, she does not like them at all & has been very clever about hiding them in her gums & spitting them out when I'm not looking!
Anyway, thank you so much to everyone once again for all of the well wishes & prayers - they most definitely made a difference!

Rgeurts
September 20th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I was so afraid to look, but am very glad I did! I'm SO happy to see she is pulling through and getting stronger :D :lovestruck:
YAY!! for good poops :laughing: :laughing:

I love both of mine dearly, and though Thorin is my souldog, and I'll never love another like I do him, there's just something so endearing about Nookie. I don't know if it's because I've had to "mother" him so much, or just being completely amazed at his will to live and love us. I just can't pinpoint it. They're all just so precious :cloud9:

Bless you and your family for taking such good care of her and for helping her pull through this :grouphug: :highfive:

Dog Dancer
September 20th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I haven't posted in here yet either, but just read through about half of the thread. So glad to hear Clementine is doing better:thumbs up You truly are her earth angels for adopting her and seeing her through all of this. If there is an animal protection group in your area I would make certain that they know this has happened. If nothing else the rescue should be returning your calls and be made aware that they have a deadly disease on site. Your perseverence has saved Clementine and she will reward you ten fold over the course of her life. :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
September 20th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Hurray for Clementine!!! So happy to hear that she's turned the corner and is on the mend! :highfive: :grouphug:

mikischo
September 20th, 2011, 05:19 PM
livedust, I've been watching this thread and hoping for some good news.

I am so happy to hear the news about Clementine. She is one very feisty little girl and also one very lucky little girl to have you. Sending :goodvibes::goodvibes: that she gets back to her energetic self very soon.

ohyasayswho, so sorry to hear your girl is going through this too.:grouphug: Sending :pray::pray::goodvibes::goodvibes: for Luna. Please let us know how she is doing.

chico2
September 20th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Livedust,I was afraid to open your post,but wow,what wonderful news:thumbs up
Little Clementine is one very lucky little pup,I am certain were it not for you and your determination and love,she would not have made it.
She really wants to live and pay-pack all the love you have shown her.:pray::fingerscr for continued improvement and strenght:dog:

Love4himies
September 20th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Yay, I'm so happy for you, livedust :thumbs up

ohyasayswho
September 21st, 2011, 12:50 PM
Livedust, I'm glad that Clementine has turned the corner and recovering. That's great!
I don't want to hijack this thread, if I am then I'm sorry I am thinking this is about parvo, and trying to cope,so....
I brought Luna home on Monday as the i.v. was out and had begun eating (some) and drinking with no vomiting. I have been feeding her small amounts every few hours. Tuesday, to my surprise I awoke to her bark. I entered the room where her crate is to see a bright eyed pup with a wagging tail.Best start of a day I've had in quite a while. Progress has been steady. She is beginning to play some and act like a pup. I have tried to keep her calm, and resting as much as possible.

Maybe I should start a thread about recovering from Parvo as I have questions re:timeline for public places long term effects, best way to bulk her up etc.
Thank you to all for the kind thoughts and prayers.

hazelrunpack
September 21st, 2011, 01:10 PM
That's great news, ohyasayswho! Hurray for Luna! :highfive:

I think a new thread on recovery would be a great idea! Probably get a lot of suggestions and tips if you do! :D

renegaderuby
September 23rd, 2011, 02:45 PM
hurray for clemetine and luna! any update on benny?

livedust
September 27th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Just a quick update...
Clementine is getting stronger everday & is definitely making up for lost time!!!
She is a happy girl - playin' hard, loves people & watching the kids walk by to go to school! She is on a high fat diet & is starting to visibly gain weight & get her little muscles back!
She has learned the stairs & is doing her best to torment our feline Queen - Luna!
Thanks again for everything folks - best of luck & well wishes to Luna, Benny & all other pets who are sick.

Rgeurts
September 27th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I'm so glad to see she is on her way to recovery! :lovestruck: :D
Please give her a gentle little hug from me and my boys. Thank you for taking such wonderful care of her :grouphug:

Love4himies
September 27th, 2011, 10:53 AM
I'm so glad to hear that livedust :thumbs up. Now if only we had some pics :D:cloud9:

girlscoutmom
October 5th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I have a 1 1/2 yr old Lab Italian Greyhound mix and she just recovered from parvo 4 days at the vet on iv fluids and antibiotics. She had only been sick for 2 days when I took her to the vet and she only did a parvo test as an afterthought she was trying to rule out everything else since Emily didn't have all the symptoms of parvo mostly listlessness and vomiting and no appetite. So there is hope for your puppy