Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is my Friends Pup from a Mill?

Mysts38
September 23rd, 2004, 10:05 AM
When Maggie was 6 weeks old I went with my friend to help her pick ou her pup..I was kinda leery of the place when we pulled up..as it wasnt in the best condition and there were three barking dogs out in a kennel.

My friend had warned me that the house smelled...and that kinda made me suspicious..ANyway..we walk in and the house isnt what I would call clean at all..it did smell..she had junk piled everywhere..and even the bird cage in the dining room looked like it hadnt been changed or cleaned in a very long time

The lady(so called breeder) brought out the puppies and put them in a pen and my friend and I took a look at them..The breeder said that the mother of this litter had 8 pups...that she had another dog that had just given birth and a poodle..ready to give birth...

My Friend got to see laminated pics of the father and mother that quite frankly looked to be taken in the 70's

Now the pup did come with a health warranty and I guess CKC registration papers..but it still doesnt sit well with me

When my friend brought Maggie home,she said she had to give her a bath because she stunk....when I talked to my breeder she said NO puppy should stink if it was raised in a clean enviroment

What do you all think

Writing4Fun
September 23rd, 2004, 10:09 AM
I'd be leary of anyone who a) won't let you see the parents in person, and b) has that many dogs breeding at the same time. Just my opinion, tho. ;)

An afterthought: Have her check the papers to make sure they're real. Some people give out bogus CKC papers, others give out CKC papers - but the CKC doesn't stand for Canadian Kennel Club at all! :eek:

debanneball
September 23rd, 2004, 10:20 AM
I agree with Writing...the 'breeder' should have let you see the parents, the living condiitions of the puppies/parents/dogs, and the amount of dogs. From that point of view, you would see if she was running a mill. Unfortunately, you really can't judge people by their cleaning habits (somehow I don't think this lady had any). I have a friend, wonderful lady, who is the WORST cleaner I have ever seen, but, the best friend, cook, and loves animals.....

rebel24
September 23rd, 2004, 10:56 AM
I wouldn't say a Puppy Mill but I would say a very irresponsible BYB. And needs to be reported to the proper authorities for the condition these dogs are kept in.

Mysts38
September 23rd, 2004, 11:05 AM
I have personally never heard of this.but the breeder my friend got Maggie from,told her that it was OK for the pup to stay on adult food..apparently this breeder starts the pups on adult food rather than pup food,as she says "i helps so they dont have to wean from one food to another after 6 months"

Anyone else heard of this?

debanneball
September 23rd, 2004, 11:07 AM
I thought, now correct me if I am wrong...that a puppy, small or large, should stay on puppy for for the first 15 months of it's lfie.... :confused:

rebel24
September 23rd, 2004, 11:09 AM
I have never heard of this either very strange? And her only reasoning was so you don't hav eto wean the pup to a new food later. Strange....BTW how old was the pup when your friend got her?

heeler's rock!
September 23rd, 2004, 11:21 AM
YIKES! That is not right...pups need the added nutrition in puppy food to help them grow.

Rebel, I think she said 6 weeks when the pup went home...way too early....

Mysts, my opinion is that your friend put the pup on puppy food ASAP for tat least the first yearto 15 months, and prepare for behavioural training as this pup's gonna have issues due to the fact that it was taken away before 8 - 10 weeks from the mum.....

Places like this need to be shut down for putting unsuspecting people through the issues their puupy's gonna have later in life....

Mysts38
September 23rd, 2004, 11:32 AM
Hi
No we went to look and pick out the pup at 6 weeks...my friend picked her up when she was 8 weeks..sorry I didnt make that so clear :(.....

I think Maggie is too little to be on adult food..not to mention that the kibbles are too big for her to eat..shes only a tiny pup....ok Iwill approach my friend about the food issue..I hate to butt in so much cause it is HER pup..and shes never had a pup before..whereas I have more experience raising puppies and know whats best

Thanks all!

mastifflover
September 23rd, 2004, 11:33 AM
Mastiff's and giant breed dogs are the only ones that I know of that only get puppy food till they are 3 months of age and then go on to adult food. Puppy food is detramental to their growth. It makes them grow too quickly and there bones dont get dense enough for their weight and their joints to form properly. But I would not put any other dogs on adult at that stage of there life, at about 7 months I would switch to an all life stage food. Besides this pup was too young to be taken from its mom I would report this BYB. For this pup I would pup it on a really high quality natural or holistic puppy food. I would probably add warm water to it as well so it is softer to chew and digest. What breed of dog is it

heeler's rock!
September 23rd, 2004, 11:50 AM
8 weeks is good, it could be better, but the conditions still sound terrible. Where was the pup when she picked it up? Some breeders release the pup at 8 weeks, but actually lock the pup away from it's mum at 6 weeks so it's still as bad.

Send your friend to this forum if she has questions about food and such. We'll all help. Another thing is to send her to a vet to ask if her pup should be on adult food at this age. When looking for food, make sure to suggest holistic as I'm sure you've read here.... :)

Cinnabear
September 23rd, 2004, 03:32 PM
No she should have puppy food. It depends what breed she is. I know small breeds get puppy food until they're about 10 mos. old. Larger breed longer. Also with puppy food at the beginning it was mixed with some milk.

heeler's rock!
September 23rd, 2004, 06:00 PM
Sorry, I should have stated that better. I know she should be on puppy food but if her friend has a hard time listening to her because the breeder told her to keep the pup on adult food, a vet can usually talk sense into people. Sorry! :D