Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

children with rescue dogs?

jackieb
September 23rd, 2004, 08:53 AM
As some of you know i am seeking a rescue mastiff just read on a site on the net that they are not best placed with children apparantely if brought up with children they are ok. My old mastiff was excellent with my then 2 children but i had him from a puppie. I have 3 small children any advice any ont can give please!

Writing4Fun
September 23rd, 2004, 09:04 AM
I think the reason rescues say "not placed with small children" is a) they don't really know the dog's history and can't guarantee that it's been brought up with children, or b) being so large, there's always the chance that they might inadvertently knock the child over and cause some harm, however unintentionally. I could be wrong, though, and I'm sure others on here with rescue experience can give other reasons. ;)

jackieb
September 23rd, 2004, 09:09 AM
thanks for that i am a keen dog lover and have been brought up with large dogs myself and had a mastiff that i took training etc so i am used to handling large breeds. My concern was the children my other 2 were young when our mastiff unfortunately died when he was run over. i have 3 young children but i am sure they will be fine the english mastiff is good with children normally. Currently i am looking into becomeing a dog trainer

mastifflover
September 23rd, 2004, 09:20 AM
Well writing4fun you have put down the main reasons they dont adopt to families with young children. Somtimes they get rehomes and if they were brought up in a home with kids they will sometimes rehome them with kids. The main reason is because they dont really know there past and the size of these dogs can be quite substantial as you well know. This breed is great with kids as most Mastiff owners know but if they are with them from puppyhood they grow with the kids and the size is not such an issue because the kids get used to them. My guy is a rescue but is very scared of the quick movements that children make he was physically abused so I avoid small children. He is good with young kids but not really little ones they screech and that scares him. The rescues are more concerned that nobody 4 legged or 2 legged get hurt. Also there have been situations where they have ended up placing a mastiff with a family and then the dog gets returned because he knocks the kids over or is just too big, like you did not notice the dog weighs 180 pounds. If you let them know thsat you would be interested in a rehome that was brought up with kids they might go for that as well as the fact that you are an experienced Mastiff owner would be in your favour.

jackieb
September 23rd, 2004, 09:37 AM
My little one is 14 months (child) they are used to dogs not particulay my youngest i know they knock them over lol as mine used to do it all the time my eldest was quite small then and would laugh and get up!!! Will tell themn that when i find one mastiff just been reading sites with infor on rescuing them and am contcting all sources thankyou for your help!!!!

i am a big mastiff lover too!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucky Rescue
September 23rd, 2004, 09:45 AM
What everyone said. Big dogs can knock little kids over, no matter how friendly they are, and MANY people will dump the dog rather than supervise, just as they will dump a cat if it scratches the kids.

We had someone getting rid of their young Irish Wolfhound because it "got too big for the kids", even though this dog was wonderful with their children.