Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'm sure I'm opening a can of worms here...but...

GsdDiamond
September 23rd, 2004, 08:38 AM
Same-sex marriage has become legal in Manitoba, effective Thursday, September 16/04.

My partner, of 6 years this past Saturday, and I, were legally married on the 18th of September.

I chose to post it here, in this forum, because of the caring people that come here. With any luck I won't hear too many of the "you'll burn in Hell" comments, or others of the same idea.

Missy
September 23rd, 2004, 09:15 AM
That is so wonderful and I wish you both a lifetime of love and happiness :D :D :D Do you have any pictures of the big day?

I was very happy to hear that Manitoba also legalized same-sex marriage, although it should have happened a long time ago in Canada but this is not the place for my rant (maybe we can start another thread :p ), I just wanted to give my congrats!!

mastifflover
September 23rd, 2004, 09:22 AM
Congratulations wishing you both many many years of happiness. It is about time the laws caught up with the times.

debanneball
September 23rd, 2004, 09:25 AM
CONGRATULATIONS. Love is love, it doesn't matter with whom, as long as you are happy, I say GO FOR IT, and live life to the fullest with whomever you chose. Again CONGRATULATIONS, and many years of happiness.

Debanneball

PS- pictures please....

unclefester
September 23rd, 2004, 09:25 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Yup Canada is one of the best countries to live in because most Canadians believe in the live and let live attitude.

We just have to get the other provices to loosen up.

How many provinces allow gay marriage? I'm pretty sure of Quebec, Ontario now Manitoba...are there others? what about B.C?

Anyway I wish you a long and happy life together.

UF

GsdDiamond
September 23rd, 2004, 10:19 AM
Thank you so much! It was an informal ceremony, in our back yard, so we didn't hire a photographer. Some people there had cameras so I'll see if I can borrow the CDs when they get developed.

As far as I know...BC, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Yukon are the only province's to legalize same-sex marriages.
I feel sorry for the people of Alberta. Klein said he'd use the "not withstanding" clause if it became Federal law, which would back-burn it for 5 years. (he's such a dictator!)

BamaRama
September 23rd, 2004, 11:50 AM
Congratulations!! That is wonderful news!

I'm very proud to be Canadian and SO PROUD that same-sex marriage is legal in so many provinces!

I hope you had a wonderful day:)

glasslass
September 23rd, 2004, 12:30 PM
Congrats! California isn't as advanced thinking as Canada, but it's coming. As Debanneball says, love is love! I'm happy for both of you! :)

krdahmer
September 23rd, 2004, 01:00 PM
Ditto....congratulations and welcome to marriage!!!
My religion may not agree with your choice but it is in no way shape or form my place to judge or assume that I know your fate ( I mean really how are we to know that God is not changing with the times too?!).
It is just a wonderful thing to see two people in love and committed to each other.
So I wish you many many years of happiness! :)

iRONKNiGHT
September 23rd, 2004, 01:48 PM
CONGRATULATIONS on the Wedding..
party party party lol is there any leftover cake?
it's a beautiful day ;)

Sneaky2006
September 23rd, 2004, 01:54 PM
Congrats to you both!!
I don't see what the big deal is, it should never be anyones business but the two tying the knot!

Cinnabear
September 23rd, 2004, 02:47 PM
Congrats and many years of happiness to you. :)

GsdDiamond
September 23rd, 2004, 03:40 PM
Ditto....congratulations and welcome to marriage!!!
My religion may not agree with your choice but it is in no way shape or form my place to judge or assume that I know your fate ( I mean really how are we to know that God is not changing with the times too?!).
It is just a wonderful thing to see two people in love and committed to each other.
So I wish you many many years of happiness! :)

I do thank you very much for your well wishes! I can safely say that I've had many discussions with people regarding "choice", and I can say with 100% certainty that my sexual preference is not a choice.

chico2
September 23rd, 2004, 03:47 PM
Congrats GSD Diamond!!!
I have long held the conviction,live and let live....who loves whom is not important but love is.
I am happy Canada,which I thought was a very conservative mostly Catholic country,has seen the light.
The church should stay out of politics,be it gay marriages or anything else!!
A marriage is no less valid performed outside of the church.
As for Klein in Alberta,he is nothing but a redneck,uneducated jerk,the pie in his face looked awfully good :D

GsdDiamond
September 23rd, 2004, 03:54 PM
Mmmmmm......banana cream! :p

badger
September 23rd, 2004, 04:09 PM
I believe you opened a can of....doves! Good for you. Were you able to rally the families? Did the dog wear a tuxedo?

TalonsMa
September 23rd, 2004, 04:24 PM
What great news :) Congrats!!!!

Jackie467
September 23rd, 2004, 04:28 PM
Congrats. Love is love no matter who it's with. I wish they would stop with this wanting to outlaw it in the US.

melanie
September 23rd, 2004, 04:32 PM
yay, congratulations we luvvv weddings. boy we have had so many this year, last year i did not hear about 1 wedding here, now we are having one every couple of weeks, oh i luv weddings. i drove past one the other day and husband said no, i was not allowed to stop and peek through the windows, what a wet blanket, i just wanted to see them.

and you should be proud to live in a country where life and love can be normal, you are very lucky and live in a forewardish society, hey over here same sex cpls have just gotten the right to access each others superannuation, yeah good one howard, what a tool, he say he does not want to ruin the concept of family, and that coming from a man who lived at home a virgin till he was 35yo, (sarcasm here) oh he does make us proud :D (no offense to older virgins living at home, but your not our priminister :D )

and like i tell my mum, it does not matter who you root :D , as long as you can say you were loved in your life, does anything else matter, nuh :D :D

yay to our newly weds, may you live happily ever after :D

heeler's rock!
September 23rd, 2004, 05:40 PM
Congrats to you GSD! I am happy for you! Marriage is a beautiful thing, no matter who you are married too!!! :D

My hubby is a strong Christian, but he never judges anyone on their choices. He and I have argued so many times about being homosexual and how I believe it isn't a choice, but he does. In fact, research has shown that even with transgendered people, it isn't a choice. It's been proven that in the first trimester of pregnency, the brain develops into one sex, while the body develops into a different sex. It's quite interesting research! Either way, whether you chose your lifestyle or not, happiness is just that. If you're happy, who cares? Good luck to you and the Mrs.!!! :D :D

Can we all lay off the Ralph Klein jokes though? I happen to appreciate most of what he has done for Alberta, like eliminate debt, back up beef, etc. Sure, he has the things I HATE like lack of educational funding and health care, but all in all, he's doing the best he can for us! I was at the breakfast at MacDougall last year when he was pied in the face! How embarrasing! He handled it well though and I'm glad the punk was punished to the full extent of the law!

heeler's rock!
September 23rd, 2004, 05:40 PM
Congrats to you GSD! I am happy for you! Marriage is a beautiful thing, no matter who you are married too!!! :D

My hubby is a strong Christian, but he never judges anyone on their choices. He and I have argued so many times about being homosexual and how I believe it isn't a choice, but he does. In fact, research has shown that even with transgendered people, it isn't a choice. It's been proven that in the first trimester of pregnency, the brain develops into one sex, while the body develops into a different sex. It's quite interesting research! Either way, whether you chose your lifestyle or not, happiness is just that. If you're happy, who cares? Good luck to you and the Mrs.!!! :D :D

Can we all lay off the Ralph Klein jokes though? I happen to appreciate most of what he has done for Alberta, like eliminate debt, back up beef, etc. Sure, he has the things I HATE like lack of educational funding and health care, but all in all, he's doing the best he can for us! I was at the breakfast at MacDougall last year when he was pied in the face! How embarrasing! He handled it well though and I'm glad the punk was punished to the full extent of the law!

Bugsy
September 23rd, 2004, 05:56 PM
Congratulations :D

I've i'll always said it's not who/what/where/when...
but HOW much you love.

PS As far as the catholic church goes....well let's not open up that can of worms :eek:

badger
September 23rd, 2004, 06:07 PM
Ralph can take it. Ralph's OK. But his time has passed. Now that he has decided not to run again, it'll be interesting to see what comes next for Alberta. I think the conservative grip on the province will loosen and people will see that there are many possibilities that haven't been explored and that can co-exist with the kind of rampant capitalism Ralph stands for.

PS I find pie-ing quite idiotic. It's kind of like, then what or, as we say in Quebec, et alors??

iRONKNiGHT
September 23rd, 2004, 06:36 PM
PS: As far as the catholic church goes....well let's not open up that can of worms :eek:

Trust me i know what you're thinking Bugsy!

i wont post it here but it is what has been done in the churches over "Generations" have tainted (http://picayune.uclick.com/comics/tmate/2003/tmate030730.gif) the way i look at how things are done..

-click on tainted (http://picayune.uclick.com/comics/tmate/2003/tmate030730.gif) if you still dont have a clue :)

Bugsy
September 23rd, 2004, 06:43 PM
Ironknight

Lmao... :D

Mysts38
September 23rd, 2004, 07:07 PM
Congrats to you and your better half LOL..many many happy years together!

Hey you got married on my 40th birthday How cool! Ok now you are gonna have good luck for sure!

And I do have to add..if you cant live this life being who you are and being proud of that..then whats the use of being on this earth..Celebrate who you are each and every day!

moontamara
September 23rd, 2004, 07:35 PM
I slept through this thread (stupid time difference) but what a delight to hear about this now! GsdDiamond, it was lovely of you to share and take a chance -- I'm sooo glad to find that we are an accepting bunch! I also offer my heartfelt congratulations! Someone else asked about your families, and I'm curious about that too! I was in the drama group in high school, and not to promote stereotypes, but in our school it was very true -- a large number of my friends were gay and lesbian, but I have yet to be invited to any of their weddings! Maybe one of these days!

Anyway, thanks soooo much for sharing! I'm always happy to hear about people in love :)

shihtzulover
September 24th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Congratulations, I am so happy you have found someone to spend your life with. A toast to the happy couple. :D

Stewart
September 24th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Trust me i know what you're thinking Bugsy!

i wont post it here but it is what has been done in the churches over "Generations" have tainted (http://picayune.uclick.com/comics/tmate/2003/tmate030730.gif) the way i look at how things are done..

-click on tainted (http://picayune.uclick.com/comics/tmate/2003/tmate030730.gif) if you still dont have a clue :)
To bloody true knight ! LMAO ! :D ...... Oh ! by the way CONGRATULATIONS ! Diamond lifes for enjoying ! :)

LavenderRott
September 24th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Congratulations! I sure wish the American government would remove it's nose from people's personal business. I can't for the life of me figure out what is so threatening about gay couples having the same benefits as straight couples. It seems Mr. Bush finds this very threatening.

badger
September 24th, 2004, 08:13 AM
It upsets the 'order' of things, which I believe he takes from the Bible, straight up (pun intended) no chaser...apparently he dips into the Good Book on a regular basis, which is fine, although he doesn't seem to appreciate the subtleties, to whit 'Love one another'. Period.

GsdDiamond
September 24th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Hey gang!

Just got to work, and time to spend all day browsing the posts! Haha...just kidding. (although it's been awful slow at work these past few days)

To answer some questions:
Nope....Diamond did't wear a little tux, but we were trying to get a rainbow bowtie for her. That would have looked so cute. The commissioner brought a little lacey thing for the dog, but can you imagine a 50 pound GSD with a little lacey thing around her neck? Talk about funny looking!

My family didn't show up to the wedding. They fully support me (my name's Margo by the way :D ) and the Mrs. (Terri). Back in July of 2000, we had a little "ceremony" and called it our "wedding". Of course, that was back in the day we thought actually getting married would never become legal. My family was there for that, as was most of Terri's. I called my parents this time (they live about 45 minutes outside the city) and they said they wouldn't come this time, but "in their eyes" the last time was the real deal too. Whatever floats their boat. Terri's brother & sister-in-law were there, and he actually stood as her "best man". He can be a twit, and we both want to give him a slap every now and again, but he's a good egg.

I was born and baptized RC, but I dont' follow the faith anymore, and haven't for quite a number of years (about 25 or so). I still believe in God, but don't believe that He hates Gay people, as many heads of religion claim. God loves all people. That's what I believe, and that's what I'm going to hold true until the day I leave this Earth. What's happening in the RC Church is appalling. It must all be brought to light, and dealt with. Allow RC Fathers to marry, as is the case in other religions, and this may well become a thing of the past.

I agree, Ralph has done much good for the people of Alberta. You have to admit, though, he's a loose canon who does things HIS way. Prime example.... Health Care. He's said he didn't want any part in the Federal agreement and he'd do things his own way. But there he is, signing with the rest of the Premiers. He was able to rid the Province of the deficit because of the income from oil, not because of his sound financial planning. The rest of us don't have that money coming in, so we run a deficit. But, that's neither here nor there. Just send us some money and we'll call it even! ;)

Watching the news this morning.....

The Nova Scotia Superior Courts will be publically announcing a decision to legal same-sex marriage or not. This will be announced nation wide later today.
Saskatchewan can expect a court challenge within the next two weeks saying denying same-sex marriage is unconstitutional. The Saskatchewan government is not expected to appeal.

wAggie
September 24th, 2004, 09:54 AM
I still believe in God, but don't believe that He hates Gay people, as many heads of religion claim. God loves all people.

GSDD, I FULLY believe in what u said right there.

btw --

http://www.cvco.org/religion/fprescr/congratulations.JPG

SSAC
September 24th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Congrats! :D :) :D :) All the very best to you both!

krdahmer
September 24th, 2004, 10:55 AM
I was born and baptized RC, but I dont' follow the faith anymore, and haven't for quite a number of years (about 25 or so). I still believe in God, but don't believe that He hates Gay people, as many heads of religion claim. God loves all people. That's what I believe, and that's what I'm going to hold true until the day I leave this Earth. What's happening in the RC Church is appalling. It must all be brought to light, and dealt with. Allow RC Fathers to marry, as is the case in other religions, and this may well become a thing of the past.

Wow you said it! And well too! I was also baptised RC, but have sinced turned on most organized religion (as I was unable to swallow all that crap once I became old enough to know better, I mean seriously how can a preist say that gays are going to hell and then turn around and molest an innocent child), my husband however is Pentecostal and I am learning to live with their style of faith... they actually put the 'God loves all people' first and foremost. Although they are yet to come around to the marriage thing...

BamaRama
September 24th, 2004, 10:57 AM
I still believe in God, but don't believe that He hates Gay people, as many heads of religion claim. God loves all people.

^^Agreed!!

BamaRama
September 24th, 2004, 10:59 AM
I would like to add--I was truly fortunate enough to grow up in a non-denominational church in Victoria, BC that had many gay couples in attendance. The attitude of our church was basically that God loves everyone and it isn't the pastor's/elder's place to judge anyone in attendance. All were welcomed and loved equally. It was great! *sigh* I miss my church and all of my friends there!!!

BamaRama
September 24th, 2004, 02:01 PM
YAY! It's legal in Nova Scotia!

Sneaky2006
September 24th, 2004, 02:24 PM
We grew up Catholic and I know gay marriage is not accepted through their eyes(among other things), and it makes me sick! We didn't get married in the church where the rest of the family did... seems like they're not accepting of a lot more than that.
Our priest (don't know if I should be calling him 'our' anymore) from the church basically said we couldn't get married there because we didn't go every single week and put an envelope in the basket! How's that for "everyone's accepted at church"?
We were also living together before we were married and he said that was the ultimate sin in God's eyes.... needless to say we never went back after that meeting.
I still believe in God, but don't believe that He hates Gay people, as many heads of religion claim. God loves all people. I would like to add that you can be gay, straight, rich, poor, donating, or non-donating, or purple or green and God will still love you... he never turns away from any of his children! No church will ever tell me differently anymore!

GsdDiamond
September 24th, 2004, 02:27 PM
So it did go through huh? Another proud day for ALL Canadians! Moral leaders of the world. :) :D

BamaRama
September 24th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Yup, the article that I read is here:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1096022423212&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968705899037

heeler's rock!
September 24th, 2004, 06:29 PM
I totally agree with you GSD! God loves us all. Big or small, brown, white, or yellow, gay or straight, sikh or chiristian! We were put on this earth to live life, not fear death! Love is love and as I always say, live and let live! Love your fellow man (or woman!) c'est la vie! Livin' la vida loca man!! (Sorry, I got carried away!!! Livin la vida loca?? I dunno, the song was in my head!!!I'm just really happy to be on a board with such accepting people!!! :D )

As for good ole Ralphy, I know we are only debt free because of oil, but at least he put the extra towards the debt and not a mansion!!! HAHAHAHA!! I want a tax credit! He sent a survey to Albertans to ask how we should spend the surplus. I say Education, Health Care, and ME!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :D

Britishvixen21
September 24th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Congratulations GSD, what a wonderful country that we live in that is so forward thinking, i often hope that the rest of the world will adopt my new found homes way of thinking, the world would be a more peaceful, calm, and freindly planet.

Anyways enough of my rant, congratulations, hope you have many many many happy years together. :D

Iggette
September 27th, 2004, 01:08 PM
I was a little concerned when I first read your post that some people may not aprove of your life choice......I for One should have known better we are a great bunch of caring people in all areas of life not just our furry friends.........Glad you got a good reception to your anouncement
Congrats.........A little late but better than never.......lol

No can of worms just a bunch of love doves....lol

GsdDiamond
September 27th, 2004, 02:27 PM
I guess I was expecting the worst because there are still quite a few people who don't approve and think I can change my ways.

I took the leap here because I know that all the folks here are so kind. Guess I just have to start hanging around animal lovers all the time! :D

Again, thank you all for your loving and kind words. You have no idea how good it makes me feel. :)

sammiec
September 27th, 2004, 02:45 PM
No worms here!!! Congrats, I wish you guys the best of luck!!! :D

iRONKNiGHT
September 27th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Guess I just have to start hanging around animal lovers all the time! :D

I think Animal Lovers have a better conception of life...

Cflat
September 27th, 2004, 05:50 PM
I've been married to the opposite sex for 15 years and I tell you some days I'd trade him for a woman in a blink!

Congratulations to you and Terri. Many happy years!!! Being yourself is a WHOLE lot more important that being what others expect you to be. You're a long time dead.

melanie
September 27th, 2004, 05:58 PM
it is always necessary to open a can of worms if you have one, that is the spice of life, what a boring world it would be if we just agreed and kept it all calm, never rocking the baot with your brain, bugger that, live life, dont jsut watch it cruise by. and also ppl will never change or leanr or expand their mind if such issues wernt raised, so if youve got a can, please open it, oh yeah send worms my way, love em :D .