Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vinnie AND Chico sick

chico2
March 18th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I had a appointment for them on Tuesday,but I am bringing them in today at 3:15...:(
Both of them are not eating,I want Vinnie to lose weight,but not this way..Chico drinks water,but does not eat..:(and I've tried all kinds of food.
I am really worried,hopefully not anything serious,I can't lose another kitty..I think Chico seems worse,but still his cuddly regular self...and when Vinnie does not eat,something is wrong for sure..
:fingerscr:goodvibes::pray:needed.

Melinda
March 18th, 2011, 09:17 AM
prayers and good wishes going up for all of you!

14+kitties
March 18th, 2011, 09:17 AM
:goodvibes::fingerscr:pray: and much more my friend. :grouphug:

Goldfields
March 18th, 2011, 09:25 AM
That's a bit alarming, I hope it's nothing serious.

ancientgirl
March 18th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Chico, I'll be thinking of your boys and sending prayers. :pray:

Maybe it's just a kitty tummy flu or something like that.

:grouphug:

diandpat
March 18th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Oh how scary :( :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes::fingerscr: :fingerscr :grouphug:

Shaykeija
March 18th, 2011, 10:17 AM
ohh i am sorry they kittys are not feeling good. I hope they start feeling better soon.

BenMax
March 18th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Chico2...my thoughts are with you. I pray that everything is ok.
You sure have your hands full lately dear friend.
Keep us updated..we are hear for you.

chico2
March 18th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Chico is not doing well,hopefully it's something that can be cured,since it's both of them.
Vinnie is due for his Rabies,but no shots when they are sick,right??
Thank's everyone:grouphug:

sugarcatmom
March 18th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Chico is not doing well,hopefully it's something that can be cured,since it's both of them.
Vinnie is due for his Rabies,but no shots when they are sick,right??

Awww, come on kitties, don't do this to your momma! Hoping that whatever it is can be easily and quickly fixed. :fingerscr

And ya, definitely no shots when they're ill. DO NOT let the vet convince you otherwise.

Let us know how the appt goes.

mikischo
March 18th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Chico, I'm so sorry to hear they are not feeling well. I know this is scary for you not knowing what it is.

Sending :grouphug: to you and :pray::pray::goodvibes::goodvibes: for Chico and Vinny that they will be feeling better very soon.

krdahmer
March 18th, 2011, 11:41 AM
:pray::goodvibes::pray::goodvibes::grouphug: :grouphug:
Hopefully its just a kitty version of what everyone else around here seems to have right now! My mom's been sick for 3 weeks now with some cough/cold combo. Best of luck at the vets today! :pray:

ownedbycats
March 18th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Chico, I'm so sorry. So soon after Rocky too. I hope the vet can figure out what the problem is quickly.

Love4himies
March 18th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Sending a million :goodvibes: and :pray:.

and a huge, huge :grouphug: for you.

rainbow
March 18th, 2011, 12:14 PM
OH NO :( ....I hope they will both be okay. :pray: :grouphug:

Good luck at the vet. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :grouphug:

Dog Dancer
March 18th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Chico, I sure hope the kitties are feeling better soon. Prayers that it is nothing serious and that it resolves itself :grouphug:

Masha
March 18th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I hope all goes well at the vet!! Good luck :fingerscr :goodvibes: :grouphug:

dmc123
March 18th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I am so sorry they are not feeling well - good luck at the vet!

Diane

pattymac
March 18th, 2011, 12:30 PM
That's tough..both of them at the same time. Keeping fingers crossed that it's just a little tummy upset

Tundra_Queen
March 18th, 2011, 04:24 PM
chico, I'm sorry the kitties aren't feeling well, I hope the vet can figure out what is wrong and give them medicien to make them all better! :grouphug:

14+kitties
March 18th, 2011, 04:30 PM
You should be back now. What's happening with the kitties? :pray: Hopefully nothing serious. :fingerscr:goodvibes:

glasslass
March 18th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I haven't been on in quite a spell. Have often thought of you and your beautiful kitties. I hope they're not still sick.

chico2
March 18th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Well,Chico had Blood drawn and Urine,vet suspects kidney problems..will know tomorrow morning about the blood.
He's not diabetic

Vinnie was like a tiger in his carrier,I was seriously worried he would tear the vet to shreds.
I had to leave the room,since Vinnie was hissing and growling like a crazed cat.
However after a muzzle was put on him,he calmed down,got his nails clipped...the vet is more worried about Vinnie and fatty liver disease from not eating,he gave us two syringes of 7,5 mg of Mirtazapine to try and up their appetite and a can of a/d critical care Hills:yell:but I'll try anything at this point.

Giving them the syringes was a war and a half,foamy stuff all over the house,but they are ok now.
If still not eating by tomorrow we have to go back,we spent 2 1/2 hours at the vet.

I still believe,since they both got sick at the same time,maybe they got in to something outside(outside with hubby).
So,we have to wait and see,Chico just ate some,hopefully he'll keep it down:pray:

chico2
March 18th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Oh,forgot to add,you girls are all wonderful thank you for thinking of us:grouphug:

BenMax
March 18th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Oh,forgot to add,you girls are all wonderful thank you for thinking of us:grouphug:

How can we not Chico2. We love you very much.:grouphug:
What ailes you..ailes us.

Love4himies
March 18th, 2011, 06:04 PM
That's right, chico, how could we not think of you and your precious kitties. Your heart is made of gold :grouphug: :lovestruck:

cpietra16
March 18th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Chico, I just read your thread...I hope its nothing serious. You do not deserve this and Vinnie and Chico surely do not need to go through this either. I find it very interesting that they are both displaying the same symptoms....maybe its something they ingested??? how old are they? I hope its nothing serious:pray:

ancientgirl
March 18th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Chico, I really hope the tests come back with no major issues. I had also wondered if maybe they just got into something outside. Something they can just get over soon.

Don't feel bad about the food. I have been so desperate about Oskana and her recurring cystitis, I broke down and have been feeding her and Czari Royal Canine SO, from the vets office. You get to where you will try anything to help these little ones.

I will be praying Chico's issue isn't anything to do with his kidney's and will also be sending my prayers for Vinnie. :pray::pray::grouphug::grouphug:

kathryn
March 18th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Hope it is nothing serious! The A/D may be yucky but it works wonders when all else fails. *hugs*

hazelrunpack
March 18th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Oh, no, chico :grouphug: I hope they just have tummy upset from something they got into outside and will both be back to normal soon! :goodvibes: How scary for you!!! :grouphug:

Sending lots of prayers and healing vibes for your boys!!

Winston
March 18th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Chico I hope its nothing too serious! thinking of you! :grouphug:

Love4himies
March 19th, 2011, 04:15 AM
How are they doing today?

I too believe it is too coincidental that both got sick at the same time. Have you changed their food lately?

Sending more :goodvibes: for them.

chico2
March 19th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I woke up to vomit in 3 places,don't know who did it:shrug:
However,last night they were both eating a little,they would not touch the Hills diet,it went in the garbage..

Desperate,I gave them some really smelly Fancy Feast,I was tiptoeing around them so they would not stop eating:cat:
But obviously one of them vomited.

This morning,Vinnie was eager to eat and ate a 1/4 of a 5,5oz can of Wellness and keeps going back for a little more,still waiting to see if he'll keep it down:fingerscr

Chico on the other hand,did not eat this morning:(drinks water and goes to lay down.
The vet says his urine is diluted,so probably kidney-problems,they both were fever-free.

It is a possibility Chico has a hair-ball stuck somewhere,he licks off his hair terribly,but only an X-Ray will tell,so if that needs doing we'll do.

Also,I cannot help wondering if the recalled Wellness had anything to do with it,I still fed it to them,seeing they also ate other kinds of food.
I forgot what was missing in those cans,was it Taurine??
Maybe it was more to it than that??

Outside,there really is not anything that could make them sick,no pesticide,no poison...they did eat grass and cat-nip(just starting to grow).

It could be that Chico has had kidney-problems for a while,he has always been drinking water very well and lately more than normal.

All I can do is wait for the vet to call and probably bring Chico back:(my poor sweet little guy.
Last year this time,he weighed 15.53lb's ,yesterday 13,5lb's ...

Vinnie is a whopping 20,4lb's:yell:

Love4himies
March 19th, 2011, 08:01 AM
It is a B vitamin that was missing so nothing poisonous. I have been feeding the recalled Wellness, but it makes up only about 20% of their diet.

Poor Chico :( :grouphug:. I know with Puddles, the older she gets, the harder it is for her to get her furballs out. She now vomits for a few days before it comes out and during that time, she drinks water and her appetite decreases significantly. Probably because of the loss of fluids due to vomiting. Hopefully that is what is bother Chico. :pray:

chico2
March 19th, 2011, 08:06 AM
L4H,Puddles problems seem very similar to Chico's,there is always fur in his vomit.

One maybe stupid question,would Chico's Urine not be diluted,when he drinks so much water???
He also pees quiet a lot.

Love4himies
March 19th, 2011, 08:11 AM
L4H,Puddles problems seem very similar to Chico's,there is always fur in his vomit.

One maybe stupid question,would Chico's Urine not be diluted,when he drinks so much water???

Yes his urine would be diluted if he drinks a lot of water.

chico2
March 19th, 2011, 08:15 AM
:pray::fingerscrThat's all it is:fingerscr:pray:Hairballs can be fixed!!
Thank's L4H,I got some hope,Chico might recover..

sugarcatmom
March 19th, 2011, 09:48 AM

Yes, but the question then becomes, why does he pee and drink so much? One of the first signs of kidney insufficiency is increased drinking and peeing (called polyuria/polydipsia: PU/PD). Can also be a sign of diabetes or hyperthyroid, amongst other less common conditions.

If it does turn out to be a renal issue, please don't let the vet talk you into feeding a prescription kidney diet. Even one of my own vets, who is not typically a "food pusher" thought I should switch Aztec over to one. I just politely said there's no way he'd eat it and she agreed that it's more important that he eat (his appetite is fine right now). What I did do was make sure I'm feeding lower phosphorus foods, plus I took Aztec to his other holistic vet and she prescribed some traditional Chinese herbs. I also added a probiotic supplement to his diet. At a recent recheck of his lab values, his numbers have improved.

Good luck with both boys! Whatever it turns out to be, know that you have tons of support here. :grouphug:

mikischo
March 19th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Senting more :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: your way that your boys will be better very soon. Glad to hear at least Vinnie is eating more this morning.

As SCM said, whatever it turns out to be you will get tons of support here.:grouphug:

chico2
March 19th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Yes,thank dog for all you girls..
I am still waiting for the test-results

The vet just called,everything looks fine,kidney-values,blood-platelets(?)fine ,no thyroidproblems...he was thinking maybe pancreas or hairballs..
I am taking him back to the vet now...

Tundra_Queen
March 19th, 2011, 11:27 AM
chico...I'm sending up good thoughts for you and your babies. :grouphug:

krdahmer
March 19th, 2011, 11:27 AM
:goodvibes: that the vet finds a big nasty furball!:pray:

loopoo
March 19th, 2011, 11:37 AM
hope your two beautiful fur babies feel better real soon... I stopped feeding Wellness canned period, just before that recall, I know many use it, but too many inconsistencies and other issues for me to feel really good about using it. Please keep us posted.:goodvibes::

chico2
March 19th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I have the lab-results,the only concern was:

Amylase :1765 norm range:100-1200 High

Lymphs:0.39 ref.range 1.20-8.00 LOW

He gave Chico 2 shots,forgot one,but one was antinflammatory.
Also got a tube of Vetoquinol hair-ball preparation.

T4:38 N.R:10-51

Urinalysis:Spec.Gravity 1.018 norm.range. 1.015-1.060...everything else was negative.

So we'll see:pray:for hairball.

Chris21711
March 19th, 2011, 01:02 PM
I don't understand lab results at all Chico.....I'm rooting that it's a hairball.

rainbow
March 19th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Glad his kidneys are okay :thumbs up .....let's hope it's a hairball. :pray: :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
March 19th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I hope Chico passes a hairball soon and then is on the mend :goodvibes: :grouphug:

Did they keep this morning's meal down? :fingerscr

chico2
March 19th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Vinnie kept his food down,but Chico ate nothing,so has not vomited anything.
Hopefully by tonight Chico will eat:pray:

L4H,no I have not changed their food recently,tried Almo,but that's a while back,which resulted in Vinnie getting the runs.

SCM,my vet,whom I really like,would not ask me to feed them anything he has,he knows I feed my cats good food.
The can of Hills I accepted,thinking it would do some good,but it went in the garbage,they would not eat it.
He actually has very little foods,my other vets had shelves and shelves full of it,including Hills,Science Diet and Iams:frustrated:

kathryn
March 19th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Pancreatic levels are high. That what Mr. Kittens is like right now, from vomiting from choking on the bone from my idiot cousin :frustrated:

Pancreatitis can be acute or chronic. Let me know what other stuff the vet says.

Probably not related to a hairball though, probably got a stomach bug or ate something he shouldn't have... feed small frequent water downed meals throughout the day, raise the plate up to chin level for him. That is what I am doing for Mr. Kitten.

I am using the Laxatone too. I was going to use Slippery Elm as suggested by SCM, but I'm flat broke and my friend had a tube of Laxatone laying around. Mr. Kitten is already doing better.

I guess we are in this together LOL *hugs*

p.s. they were outside the other day right? could have accidentally eaten something off the patio??

chico2
March 19th, 2011, 04:40 PM
KathrynThey've been outside several times and don't eat anything dangerous,other than grass and cat-nip,which they have always done.
Also they are not on their own,hubby is watching them.

The vet was not too concerned about his pancreas,was really pleased it was not a kidney-problem.
I got alarmed when I heard it,a friends son,died of pancreatic cancer..
All I want for him now is too eat,ever since my Rocky,I feed them with their dishes elevated,I think it's better for them,even if they are not sick.
So was Mr Kitten on any meds ?

dogcatharmony
March 19th, 2011, 04:50 PM
:grouphug: Just want to let you know I am thinking about you and your kitties. I hope they get well soon.

ancientgirl
March 19th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Chico, I'm so happy it looks like it's not a kidney problem. I think that would scare me quite a bit, so knowing it's not the problem is good.

Maybe some butter will help Chico get that nasty hairball out.

Praying any more results come back fine.:pray:

kathryn
March 19th, 2011, 05:14 PM
KathrynThey've been outside several times and don't eat anything dangerous,other than grass and cat-nip,which they have always done.
Also they are not on their own,hubby is watching them.

The vet was not too concerned about his pancreas,was really pleased it was not a kidney-problem.
I got alarmed when I heard it,a friends son,died of pancreatic cancer..
All I want for him now is too eat,ever since my Rocky,I feed them with their dishes elevated,I think it's better for them,even if they are not sick.
So was Mr Kitten on any meds ?

Wasn't sure if it was possible if they could have maybe picked something up off the ground.. sounds like your hubby had a good eye on them though... hmmm...

Mr. Kitten is on Clavamox tabs twice daily and will be finished them tomorrow. And the laxatone too because he got constipated from barfing and his levels were elevated like that too.. not sure what the exact levels were though..

Vet said that if he wasn't feeling better by the end of the week we would move on to steroids for a bit to see if that cleared everything up. Mr. Kitten is already perfectly back to normal today and is very cheerful.

kathryn
March 19th, 2011, 06:32 PM
BTW (slight hijack) as if it wasn't bad enough already that my cousin got Mr. Kitten sick, as he was getting ready to leave (FINALLY) to go back to my grandmoms, I thought it was safe to bring Mr. Kitten down to put him in the front window for some fresh air since it is nice out.. no sooner do I bring him down and my mom tells him to NOT touch the cat.. what does he do?? Runs over, PICKS THE CAT UP, squeezes him and shakes him and as I am SCREAMING at him to put the cat down, he drops him on his side onto the hardwood floor :frustrated:

Now the cat is sick again.. hiding under the bed, looks nauseous and won't eat his dinner.

So I guess I am back to square one, so hang in there, :fingerscr :goodvibes: We can make it through together! :thumbs up

chico2
March 20th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Kathryn,that cousin of yours needs a few slaps:evil:

He's lucky Mr Kitten is good-natured,when my oldest son picked up Vinnie,I told him not to,in no uncertain terms.
Vinnie does not like to be picked up,so Vinnie gave him a good scratch..:thumbs up

A-G,DC,Chico is a little better this morning,takes a few licks of his food ever now and then.
I was thinking of getting a large syringe and force-feed him,but I think he'll be doing ok on his own,at least he is eating a small amount,a few licks at a time.
I am just holding my breath,waiting to see if he'll keep the food down.

Vinnie is pretty well back to normal,not eating as much as before,but he's eating.

kathryn
March 20th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Glad to hear they are feeling better! :D They should be okay in a few days. Mr. Kitten is feeling better today too. I banned my cousin from coming over ever again :frustrated:

erykah1310
March 20th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Chico, I just read this and I am sending all my good thoughts vibes and prayers to you. I hope all returns to normal happy healthy kitties soon.
How scary this must be for you :(

14+kitties
March 20th, 2011, 10:36 AM
I am so glad to hear the kitties are eating again. I hate when they are sick for any reason. Seems like you've had your share lately. :grouphug: Hopefully now they will behave themselves and get better. Chico - start eating better for mom now. :cloud9:

mikischo
March 20th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I'm glad to hear things are improving and that Chico is starting to eat a bit too.

:goodvibes::goodvibes: that they are completely back to their old selves very soon.

chico2
March 20th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Thank's girls,so far Chico has not eaten much,maybe a few bites,Vinnie a little more.

Sugarcatmom gave me some good advice in a PM and the next step for Chico might be an Ultra-Sound,to see if he really has a hairball-problem.
He is definitely not his regular self:(,but he's no longer vomiting.

rainbow
March 20th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Glad to hear there has been some improvement. :thumbs up

Sending lots more :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: your way. :grouphug:

ancientgirl
March 20th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Chico, so glad they have both improved a little. Vinnie sounds like he's almost back to his old self. At least Chico is interested in food so that's got to be good. Hopefully he'll eat more tomorrow. As SCM suggested, an ultrasound is a good idea. It certainly can't hurt.

Kathryn, I swear if that were my cousin I'd have kicked his butt out of my house. I'm sorry, but he needs a good lesson in how to treat animals, especially small ones.

Love4himies
March 20th, 2011, 09:07 PM
chico, that is good news. Is it possible at all, that they may have picked something up in the yard? The other thing could be a virus that could have come into the house on your's or Hot Pool Boy's shoes. It just seems to coincidental that both got sick at the same time.
:grouphug::grouphug: :goodvibes::goodvibes:

kathryn
March 20th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Kathryn, I swear if that were my cousin I'd have kicked his butt out of my house. I'm sorry, but he needs a good lesson in how to treat animals, especially small ones.

Tell me about it :wall: He's gone now though :thumbs up And I'm sending him the vet bill once he gets his first paycheck at his new job :rolleyes:

chico- hope the kitties start feeling better ASAP :goodvibes: little steps at a time :thumbs up

chico2
March 21st, 2011, 07:49 AM
Well,I don't want to jump the gun,but Chico is getting a little better every day:pray:he's more alert,cuddlier and is interested in food.

He's always been a licker,eats some goes away and keeps coming back to his dish for more,never was a big eater.

One HUGE plus,no more vomiting(knock on wood!)

I am calling the vet this morning,to see what the second shot was,I don't think it was Convenia,since he got an anti-inflammatory shot,he would have told me,but I like to know.

L4H,I tend to think the same,maybe they both got some bacteria outside,but Vinnie being stronger did not get quiet as sick.

ancientgirl
March 21st, 2011, 08:21 AM
I am calling the vet this morning,to see what the second shot was,I don't think it was Convenia,since he got an anti-inflammatory shot,he would have told me,but I like to know.

L4H,I tend to think the same,maybe they both got some bacteria outside,but Vinnie being stronger did not get quiet as sick.

Chico, can you look at your reciept? My vet reciepts always list any medication they gave my gang there.

I'm really thinking they had to have picked something up from outside. I know there has been just nasty weather everywhere this winter, and it's very possible something was brought inside, or maybe Vinnie brought something inside from his outings.

Hoping for continued improvement!:pray:

Melinda
March 21st, 2011, 08:36 AM
so glad to hear they are doing better, I agree, it has to have been something they either caught as in a virus or ate something bad. Lets just hope they keep improving!!:thumbs up

chico2
March 21st, 2011, 08:48 AM
I just talked to the vet,he said the second shot was something to help his digestive system,no infections so no antibiotics.:cat:
He did not think retesting was needed,so we'll see:fingerscr:pray:

mummummum
March 21st, 2011, 09:34 AM
:fingerscr:goodvibes: for a speedy recovery!

Rgeurts
March 21st, 2011, 12:20 PM
chico, I'm so sorry you are going through this and that I haven't been keeping up with pets lately. I hope both your boys will recover with no issues. You are all in my thoughts and :pray:'ers. Big :grouphug: to you!

rainbow
March 21st, 2011, 12:50 PM
Glad to hear Chico and Vinnie are both doing well. :thumbs up

What a trying time this has been for you :grouphug: .......and, hope they both completely recover soon. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
March 21st, 2011, 01:35 PM
So happy they're both getting better, chico! :grouphug:

krdahmer
March 21st, 2011, 01:41 PM
:thumbs up glad to hear the boys are on the mend! :grouphug:

Tundra_Queen
March 21st, 2011, 02:47 PM
chico...I'm so happy the boys are feeling better today! :grouphug:

kathryn
March 21st, 2011, 03:19 PM
It was Cerenia I bet. It's an antiemetic injection. I should have thought to ask for that for Mr. Kitten. The last time he spit up was yesterday and it wasn't that bad. He is up and wandering around today, we just let him back out again. I'm housesitting at my aunts while she is on vacation (the aunt that the devil spawn belongs to :evil:) and since she has a big house I brought Amira there with me and locked her up in a spare room so I could keep an eye on her. Just stopped home and Mr. Kitten looks great :thumbs up He actually just jumped up here for some chin scratches.

So it might just take a few days.. If you need someone to talk to feel free to PM for my phone # or email since I check both more often than I check on here :fingerscr

TeriM
March 21st, 2011, 03:51 PM
I'm so glad the boys are feeling better Chico :thumbs up.

chico2
March 21st, 2011, 04:45 PM
kathryn,it sounds something like it,but I am not certain,whatever it was,Chico and Vinnie are doing really good and thank you for your offer.

Normally I get a printout,I did on Friday,but he took Chico in again on Saturday,although his schedule was full and still took a lot of time with him,so I did not want to bother him.
Chico needs to put on weight and Vinnie needs to loose,oh well..
THank you all for the support:grouphug:

angeldogs
March 21st, 2011, 10:59 PM
That's good that they are feeling better :goodvibes::goodvibes:That they are back to normal soon.

chico2
March 22nd, 2011, 09:59 AM
Well,I had a feeling it was too good to be true:(Chico had vomited in 3 places overnight and again just an hour ago..

It's kind of brownish/yellowish about the same as the gel we gave him yesterday for hairballs...so here we go again:(

ancientgirl
March 22nd, 2011, 10:05 AM
Chico, maybe it's just that the gel is trying to work the hairball up?:pray:

angeldogs
March 22nd, 2011, 10:08 AM
If it is a hair ball that is stuck could that give him an upset tummy and anything he takes in makes him vomit.

chico2
March 22nd, 2011, 10:10 AM
A-G,we are not even sure if he has a hairball,maybe it's time for an Ultra Sound??
He was just outside with hubs,ate a lot of grass and vomited,but I believe that is a natural way for cats to take care of their tummies:shrug:

angeldogs
March 22nd, 2011, 10:15 AM
Hopefully you can get this figured out soon.:fingerscr
I know your not sure if it's a hairball or not.not knowing cats i was just seeing if a hairball could cause that.Poor boy and momma.hard to see them sick.

Dog Dancer
March 22nd, 2011, 10:45 AM
One step forward two steps back. Our pets are like a dance. I hope Chico's feeling better soon and its just a hairball he's working on.

14+kitties
March 22nd, 2011, 11:07 AM
Fingers crossed for Chico mf. Hopefully things turn around for him soon. It could be something in the hairball remedy that he is reacting to as well. :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
March 22nd, 2011, 12:51 PM
Oh, no, chico :( I hope it's just a reaction to the hairball gel! :fingerscr And that it's as simple as a nasty hairball in there about to come out!

rainbow
March 22nd, 2011, 01:27 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Chico. :( :grouphug:

I hope there is just a hairball that needs to come out. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

loopoo
March 22nd, 2011, 02:41 PM
Just a thought, if there was even any minor suspicion of anything pancreatic, butter, and even that laxative gel may not be the best idea, both are high in fat, if its the gel I have used on my kitty prior it has a high sugar source, so could upset the tummy. Perhaps, if it is a hairball, try some pumpkin or squash added to the food? could force the hairball down and through and out)

chico2
March 22nd, 2011, 04:10 PM
thank's again everyone:grouphug:

I am taking Chico back to the vet tomorrow,I would like to find out if there is a hair-ball stuck somewhere and I guess the only way is an Ultra-Sound or X-Ray,so there goes my new fridge,but that's ok,you cannot cuddle a fridge:)
He is the sweetest most loving cat a person can have and I just want him well:(

Loopoo,it is possible he reacts to the gel,but he was vomiting before that,he had 2 good days where he ate and kept it down.

mikischo
March 22nd, 2011, 04:19 PM
I'm so sorry to hear Chico is not doing better. :grouphug:

:goodvibes: :fingerscr you will get some answers tomorrow and he will soon be on the mend.

Tundra_Queen
March 22nd, 2011, 04:35 PM
chico, when willie was very sick about 6 years ago and spent 2 weeks at the vet for vomiting they found out it was inflammed bowel disease. They put him on prednizone and he started to eat again and stop throwing up.

I hope the vets can figure out what is wrong with Chico and fix him all up! :grouphug:

Love4himies
March 22nd, 2011, 05:21 PM
I am so sorry, chico :grouphug:. I was hoping he was on the mend :(.

Is he pooping at all?

Sending lots of :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: for him.

ancientgirl
March 22nd, 2011, 05:31 PM
Aww, Chico I'm sorry. Hopefully the grass he ate outside will help his tummy. I hope the vet can give him something to help him.:pray:

krdahmer
March 22nd, 2011, 07:56 PM
so there goes my new fridge,but that's ok,you cannot cuddle a fridge:)
He is the sweetest most loving cat a person can have and I just want him well:(

Aw Chico...thats why you're such an awesome mom!:grouphug: I hope that they find a furball...:fingerscr

Dee-O-Gee
March 22nd, 2011, 09:28 PM
Good luck tomorrow at the vet and hopefully it's just a confined furball waiting to come out. :fingerscr:fingerscr

I know I would do the same..."you can't cuddle a fridge". :cloud9:

rainbow
March 22nd, 2011, 10:18 PM
How is Chico tonight? :grouphug:

Good luck at the ve tomorrow. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

angeldogs
March 22nd, 2011, 10:52 PM
Good luck at the vet tomorrow chico.

chico2
March 23rd, 2011, 07:47 AM
Well,what do we have today,blowing SNOW:yell:

I broke down yesterday and bought some Fancy Feast,something they'll certainly eat.
No problem with Vinnie:fingerscrChico really wants to eat and eats some,a couple of hours later it'll come up..

I am not sure who's doing the pooping,but there was 2 loads of "nice" firm poop in the boxes.
The water he vomited after the food had a lot of hair in it:shrug:

You know,of course I am thinking cancer and all kinds of scary stuff:(

I'll be calling the vet a little later..

mummummum
March 23rd, 2011, 08:08 AM
:grouphug: Chico. :grouphug::grouphug: and more:grouphug:. And they wonder where we get our white hair from?!

Koteburo
March 23rd, 2011, 09:48 AM
Chico stay optimistic or at least neutral, it's the best for you and your kitties not to think of horrible things <3 Take it day by day.
We'll be with you along the way waiting for updates. I wish you and your kitties the best and soon a recovery.
Blessings of healing and health to Vinnie and Chico :pray:

chico2
March 23rd, 2011, 09:55 AM
My vets assistant called last night to see how Chico was and she just called again,after she talked to Dr Kohlmaier and he wanted to see him,since Chico is vomiting again,we are going at 3pm..

I'll tell you,my old vets would never call and check how someones cat was doing,not without charging.

I remember going in one day,just to ask a question about Rocky and was told the charge would be $75,of course I was not going to pay that,so she lowered it to $25..just to answer one question.

14+kitties
March 23rd, 2011, 10:11 AM
I have all my fingers and toes crossed for Chico today mf. :grouphug: I am praying it is a bug he's finding hard to shake. Try not to worry too much. I know that's easier said than done but ........ Big hugs mf.

angeldogs
March 23rd, 2011, 10:24 AM
That's pretty bad wanting $75 for a question to be answered.
Good luck today at the vet.sounds like you have a real good vet know.

hazelrunpack
March 23rd, 2011, 12:07 PM
I hope the vet visit goes well, chico! :grouphug: And that the roads stay clear enough for you to get there! :goodvibes:

akaJenT
March 23rd, 2011, 02:43 PM
Hopefully all will be well. :pawprint:

chico2
March 23rd, 2011, 04:39 PM
The roads were terrible,what a day,we have about 2 feet of snow on our deck,because of the blowing..

Chico got another thorough examination,even got a finger up his butt to check the poop,he did not like that,must have hurt:(
The vet gave him an injection of Cerenia,for the vomiting and I have 4 pills of Cerenia to give him in the next four days.
Next step will be X-Rays...of course he did not vomit at all today,but he has not eaten much.

The vet will be away at a conference until Monday,so hopefully Chico will be ok..of course,he has a replacement vet.

Now I have to look for some food that is easy on Chicos stommache,no more Fancy Feast...I have Wellness and Natural Balance here,any other suggestions?? Other than Almo,since it gave Vinnie the runs..

SamIam
March 23rd, 2011, 04:54 PM
Still no answers, how very frustrating for you.

Are they doing a barium series or just regular xray?

14+kitties
March 23rd, 2011, 05:17 PM
How about Nature's Variety, Weruva, Evo, and there's more but my brain isn't cooperating at the moment.

Tundra_Queen
March 23rd, 2011, 05:21 PM
My vets assistant called last night to see how Chico was and she just called again,after she talked to Dr Kohlmaier and he wanted to see him,since Chico is vomiting again,we are going at 3pm..

I'll tell you,my old vets would never call and check how someones cat was doing,not without charging.

I remember going in one day,just to ask a question about Rocky and was told the charge would be $75,of course I was not going to pay that,so she lowered it to $25..just to answer one question.

chico, that is terrible charging u to answer a question! My vet calls to check on our pets when they have been sick too.

Chico have u tried giving Chico pieces of human food that he likes? If so, did he throw that up too?

I hope he will be better soon. :grouphug:

sugarcatmom
March 23rd, 2011, 08:19 PM
Now I have to look for some food that is easy on Chicos stommache,no more Fancy Feast...I have Wellness and Natural Balance here,any other suggestions?? Other than Almo,since it gave Vinnie the runs..

Can you pick up some jars of plain chicken baby food? I find that to be the most tempting for sick kitties, and it's very easy to digest.

angeldogs
March 23rd, 2011, 11:13 PM
I hope the new pills help with the vomiting so he can keep food down.

krdahmer
March 24th, 2011, 03:18 AM
Really hope the pills help! :goodvibes::grouphug:

cpietra16
March 24th, 2011, 06:39 AM
CHico, how is Chico feeling today? Any changes?

chico2
March 24th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I am cautiously optimistic,no vomiting for 22 hours and he's eating..

The problem I have with food,is that they eat only pate and the employees at my store(ren's petdepot) cannot tell me if it is or not:shrug:

Chico does not eat peoplefood at all,unlike Vinnie(not surprising:laughing:)

I'll get a jar of baby-food and see what else I can find today....thank's everyone for your support

mummummum
March 24th, 2011, 09:00 AM
What is the difference between regular canned cat food and pate-style cat food Chico? or do you mean real pate? I can give you a recipe for liver or salmon pate I make for the dawgs if you like. It's easy-peasey.

Sylvie
March 24th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Sorry Chico, I just read this thread. What a horrible time you are going through :grouphug:

I will keep you and the boys in my thoughts and prayers :grouphug:

14+kitties
March 24th, 2011, 10:31 AM
What is the difference between regular canned cat food and pate-style cat food Chico? or do you mean real pate? I can give you a recipe for liver or salmon pate I make for the dawgs if you like. It's easy-peasey.

The pate styles of cat food are the ones with no gravy in them MX3. Ones like Wellness, Natural Balance, etc. are pates. There are a lot that aren't.
Chico - sometimes if you shake the can you can tell by the "sloshiness" of the sound. Pates don't make the same sound as foods with gravy. It's worked for me.
I am so glad Chico kept his food down. :grouphug:

angeldogs
March 24th, 2011, 10:36 AM
That's good that there has been no vomiting and he's keeping food down.

akaJenT
March 24th, 2011, 02:10 PM
A vet once told me to cook some ground beef with plain white rice when they're having trouble eating. I've always done that ever since on the rare occasion. Makes sense to me but I don't know if they just got better on their own or if it helped.

Hope he's okay.

loopoo
March 24th, 2011, 02:20 PM
the cerenia is designed to do that control and prevent vomiting, and usually is only given short term. I am glad he seems better. I would do what sugarcat mom recommended, get some stage one baby food as it is easily digested, and spread the feedings out over a greater quantity than you usually do, i.e. if you feed twice a day, feed it four times a day.
Reasoning here is the smaller feedings and baby food if there is anything pancreatic or bowel related going on will be much much easier on his system. Can be done for 3-5 days or so then gradually slowly start adding a little more of his regular food in. Did they take his temperature> I am assuming it is normal. I hope he is feeling better real soon.

chico2
March 24th, 2011, 02:49 PM
No Chico has no fever and I was given only 4 pills to take one every day at 4pm.
Today he actually ate good and is keeping it down,I am hoping the meds are not just hiding the symptoms and it's start all over again,we'll see:fingerscr
The next step,when my vet comes back,will be X-Rays.
He is back to his normal sucky self,was even outside in the snow with Vinnie and hubs.
I got a selection of foods, Merrick BG,looks to be a success...

3xm,like 14+ says,they will not eat any chunky,or sliced food with gravy,only pate type.....looks like the liversausage/garlc that we buy for us at the deli,but it's not the same..Again,thank's all for caring about my little guy:grouphug:

chico2
March 24th, 2011, 04:24 PM
For those who don't know who Chico is,here's a pic of my sweetie basking in the sun,just 5 minutes ago.

Rgeurts
March 24th, 2011, 04:29 PM
He is such a precious boy :cloud9: :lovestruck:
I glad to see he's doing better :)

chico2
March 24th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Thank's Robyn,he is doing great right now,no vomit sinceTuesday morning(I think it was)..:pray:

mummummum
March 24th, 2011, 04:47 PM
3xm,like 14+ says,they will not eat any chunky,or sliced food with gravy,only pate type.....looks like the liversausage/garlc that we buy for us at the deli,but it's not the same..Again,thank's all for caring about my little guy:grouphug:

Oh I know Chico, I make the same thing for my grrrls in the food processor. It sets with gelatin. That's reassuring news about Chico!

glasslass
March 24th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Awww, Chico. I'm so sorry Chico is having problems. I thought I had posted when I first read this thread on the 18th. It was the first time in a long time since I was on and I had to log in when I sent the post. Guess it didn't go through. Anyhow, I had to check back in to see how he's doing. Nothing is more helpless feeling than when our little guys are sick or hurting. Just want you to know I'm thinking of you.

hazelrunpack
March 24th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I'm glad he seems to be feeling a bit better, chico!

:fingerscr the meds have him on the right track and he'll be right as rain in no time! :goodvibes:

Tundra_Queen
March 24th, 2011, 10:23 PM
No Chico has no fever and I was given only 4 pills to take one every day at 4pm.
Today he actually ate good and is keeping it down,I am hoping the meds are not just hiding the symptoms and it's start all over again,we'll see:fingerscr
The next step,when my vet comes back,will be X-Rays.
He is back to his normal sucky self,was even outside in the snow with Vinnie and hubs.
I got a selection of foods, Merrick BG,looks to be a success...

chico....I'm glad he is doing better. I was going to ask if u open a can of food that is NOT pate...could u put it in a blender with a bit of water and blend it up to make it like pate?

I know Willie would only eat pate too,,,he eats more things now thank goodness.

rainbow
March 25th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Glad to hear Chico is doing better and eating again :grouphug: and even felt like going outside with your hubby. :thumbs up

I hope he continues to do well when he's finished his meds. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Sylvie
March 25th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Yeh, I am so glad to hear he is doing better :grouphug:

krdahmer
March 25th, 2011, 03:55 PM
well as usual he looks marvelous!:lovestruck: glad to hear he's keeping food down!:goodvibes:

chico2
March 25th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Yes,he's doing great,using his sickness for cuddles:laughing:
He did not like the pill,was drooling all over the place:(
I have 3 more to give him,hopefully they are not just masking a problem..

I cannot help thinking,that both of them was hit with something,but Vinnie being younger and maybe stronger,recovered on his own.
I am :pray:after the pills are done he'll still be ok:fingerscr

hazelrunpack
March 25th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Sending more :goodvibes: for Chico! He gets one pill a day? Poor guy....must taste bad or something, but if they do the trick, it will be well worth it! Hang in there, Mom! :grouphug:

angeldogs
March 25th, 2011, 11:00 PM
I'm glad he is doing better.he does look all handsome in the pic.and a smart kitty for using the sickness for cuddles.good chico.

chico2
March 26th, 2011, 07:15 AM
The second pill was easy,no drooling nothing:cat:
Chico is such a good cat,you can do just about anything with him,never complaints,no scratching or biting:cloud9:now if it were Vinnie:yell:totally different story..:yell:
Don't get me wrong,he is a love-bug,but try to put a thermometer up his butt,or pill him,the tiger in him comes out:laughing:

mikischo
March 26th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Great that he is such a good :angel: boy about taking his medicine. It does make life easier.

Is he still doing well with the eating?

angeldogs
March 26th, 2011, 08:01 AM
The second pill was easy,no drooling nothing:cat:
Chico is such a good cat,you can do just about anything with him,never complaints,no scratching or biting:cloud9:now if it were Vinnie:yell:totally different story..:yell:
Don't get me wrong,he is a love-bug,but try to put a thermometer up his butt,or pill him,the tiger in him comes out:laughing:
I would be the same way with a thermometer up the but too so who can blame him.:laughing:

hazelrunpack
March 26th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Aw, good boy, Chico!!! Glad the second one was easier! :thumbs up

chico2
March 26th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I just showed Chico how many supporters he has,he cannot believe he,a little black cat got 5 pages:cat::laughing:

As for eating,it can take him 2 hours,but it always did,he eats a bit,goes back and eats some more,so he's eating enough.
Never was a big eater.

Sylvie
March 26th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Chico deserves double that amount of pages :laughing:

Please give them both hugs from me. :lovestruck:

Koteburo
March 27th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Aww! So glad they're doing better :lovestruck:
So that's Chico huh?
He reminds me a lot of my Kotesu aka Mr. Kitten
Stay healthy kittehs!

Look Chico this is your look alike Mr. Kitten (also known as Koten or Kotesu)
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/4823/kotense.jpg
I bet you're related and you kept it a secret huh! :laughing:

chico2
March 27th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Sylvie,Chico is extremely proud to be such popular kitty:laughing:

Koteburo,Yes,they for sure are brothers:laughing:DSH black kitties(the most overlooked in shelters)often look like they were all twins:lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
March 27th, 2011, 10:15 AM
How's he doing today? :goodvibes: Still improving, I hope! :fingerscr

ancientgirl
March 27th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Chico, I hope your boy is doing better this morning!:pray:

chico2
March 27th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Chico has been fine for the past 3 days,last pill tonight,hopefully he'll still be fine after they're done:fingerscr
Thank's for caring:grouphug:

Dee-O-Gee
March 27th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Happy to hear Chico's on the mend Chico. :highfive:

ancientgirl
March 27th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Chico has been fine for the past 3 days,last pill tonight,hopefully he'll still be fine after they're done:fingerscr

I'm so glad!

angeldogs
March 27th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Thank's for caring:grouphug:
That great..:fingerscr that all continues to go well after this last pill.

Tundra_Queen
March 27th, 2011, 08:25 PM
chico I'm so glad he is doing well!! :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
March 28th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Sending :goodvibes: and keeping all our :fingerscr and :pawprint:s crossed that he's just as good off the pills!

angeldogs
March 30th, 2011, 11:06 PM
How's chico doing not being on the meds.

chico2
March 31st, 2011, 07:27 AM
Angel,thank's for asking..so far so good,he got his last pill Sunday,don't know how long the meds stay in his system though.
He's back to his regular self(optimisticly cautious):fingerscr

Melinda
March 31st, 2011, 07:51 AM
oh wow, thats great news chico, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you also

angeldogs
March 31st, 2011, 10:07 AM
Angel,thank's for asking..so far so good,he got his last pill Sunday,don't know how long the meds stay in his system though.
He's back to his regular self(optimisticly cautious):fingerscr
That is awsome news he's back to his regular self.did you ever find a hairball that he could have coughed up.

hazelrunpack
March 31st, 2011, 12:39 PM
Sounds pretty positive so far, chico! :grouphug:

No more problems now, Chico...your mom's had enough worry already!

chico2
March 31st, 2011, 04:04 PM
No,no hairballs,but it is possible it came out the other way.:shrug:
I still kind of think they both picked up something while outside(with hubs)and Chico got it worse than Vinnie.
I was really scared about Chico,afraid I would lose him to,like Rocky,but he's fine,thank dog!

ancientgirl
March 31st, 2011, 04:35 PM
Chico, I'm so glad your boy is better. I had hoped that it was just something they both picked up outside that they would just get over. :grouphug:

Tundra_Queen
April 1st, 2011, 01:28 AM
chico...that is wonderful news!! :grouphug:

krdahmer
April 1st, 2011, 08:29 AM
glad to hear the boys are back to their handsome affectionate selves! :goodvibes:

Love4himies
April 2nd, 2011, 07:01 AM
Awww, chico, I am so glad your kitties are back to their old selves :thumbs up :grouphug:. But I think I am going to need proof, so when you have time, can you please post more pics so I can, ummm, assess their progress :D :pray: :D :lovestruck:

chico2
April 2nd, 2011, 07:28 AM
Maybe I'll get some today,beautiful day!!!
Too early for cleaning up garden?????

Chico mostly,gave me a real scare,but he's 100% back to normal,I might have another blood-test taken,to make sure there is no pancreas-problems.

Love4himies
April 2nd, 2011, 07:37 AM

Chico mostly,gave me a real scare,but he's 100% back to normal,I might have another blood-test taken,to make sure there is no pancreas-problems.

:pray::pray::pray::D

angeldogs
April 2nd, 2011, 10:40 AM

That's real good to here.

Do you think it was a plant or something outside they got into or maybe a virus they got from being outside.

chico2
April 2nd, 2011, 04:16 PM
Angeldogs,I suppose it's possible they picked up something on the ground,we do get Raccoons,Possums and Skunks at night,my plants I think are safe,the cats only eat grass and cat-nip and they are never outside on their own.