Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

On behalf of a friends cat...

chico2
March 16th, 2011, 05:37 PM
My sons landlord has a beautiful tuxedo longhaired cat,he called me yesterday,saying he might have to put BeeBee down.

BeeBee has for a couple of weeks hobbled around on three legs.
One of his backlegs is really swollen,the vet says with some kind of infection.
The vet has been giving him Convenia-shots every 2 weeks+painkiller-pills.
The owner was told it could take 6 month for the infection to clear and BeeBee will continue to get a shot every 2 weeks.:shrug:

When I hear Convenia,I get worried,although it has been successful with some cats,but every 2 weeks:shrug:

BeeBee has been sleeping under my sons bed,seems somewhat out of it,could it be because of the Convenia??
He is a very sweet social cat normally,a real cuddler.
I was asked if I thought he should put him down,but it's not decision to make,do you think other than having a sore leg,all that antibiotic is making him lethargic??
Here is a pic of him,together with his 2 Siamese pals.

sugarcatmom
March 16th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Aww, poor kitty. :(

Do you know what the painkiller is? That could also be part of the problem.

Is there not some other type of antibiotic that would be more effective against this infection? That seems like an awful lot of Convenia injections to be getting. Why did the vet think Convenia was the way to go (other than its "convenient")?

14+kitties
March 16th, 2011, 06:11 PM
How old is BeeBee? Is he the one who likes to be with your son more than his owner? :(

mikischo
March 16th, 2011, 09:37 PM
If it is not normal for him to be sleeping under the bed, I would wonder if it could be an effect of the Convenia.

Punky reacted in a similar way [hid under the bed (unheard of behaviour for him) and appeared quite lethargic for the first few days] when I got a Convenia shot for him last summer. I normally would have opted for the pills but my vet highly recommended the shot and, as I was leaving for vacation, I decided to make life easier for my son who would be taking care of him while we were away. The skin condition that the antibiotic was prescribed for did clear up with the Convenia and was completely gone by the time we returned home. However, personally, I would not risk using it again for the simple reason that when an animal has a bad reaction to an oral medication you can simply discontinue using it. However, when it is injected, you can do nothing but wait for it to get out of the system and hope for the best.

According to Pfizer, Convenia may persist in the body for up to 65 days after one 14 day injection. Further, they recommend it be used only as a one time treatment for cats, and maximum treatment for dogs should not exceed two injections. (This is the recommendation from the manufacturer of this drug.)

Here is some information from them:

https://animalhealth.pfizer.com/sites/pahweb/US/EN/Documents/Prescribing%20Info%20or%20Package%20Inserts/US_EN_CONVENIA_PI.pdf

at a dose of 3.6 mg/lb (8 mg/kg) body weight. After an injection of CONVENIA, therapeutic concentrations are maintained for approximately 7 days for Pasteurella multocida infections.

[B]General Dosing Information
A sample of the lesion should be obtained for culture and susceptibility testing prior to beginning antimicrobial therapy. Once results become available, continue with appropriate therapy. If acceptable response to treatment is not observed, or if no improvement is seen within 3 to 4 days, then the diagnosis should be re-evaluated and appropriate alternative therapy considered.

CONVENIA may persist in the body for up to 65 days. The effect of remaining concentrations of cefovecin on any subsequent antimicrobial therapies has not been determined. Fluoroquinolone and aminoglycoside antimicrobials have been reported to be compatible with cephalosporin antimicrobial agents.

Six months is a very long time for a cat to be taking any kind antibiotic. I would first of all wonder why the vet has anticipated that it will take that long for the leg infection to heal. Was he able to determine what kind of infection it was? "Some kind of infection" is a very vague term if that is all the information the vet could offer him.

My suggestion would be that he see another vet for a second opinion and ask for an oral antibiotic rather than risking using these injections repeatedly. Six months of repeated injections (approximately 13 in total) is an awful lot especially when the manufacturer recommends one time use only. :eek:

Chico, you might also want to pm Dr. Lee and see what his take is on this situation and the repeated long term use of this drug on cats.

cpietra16
March 17th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Hi Chico, my first reaction would be to get a second opinion. :shrug: I agree with Mikischo, It seems like an awful long time to put a small cat on Convenia.

Love4himies
March 17th, 2011, 07:54 AM
I agree with Mikischo, a second opinion is definitely in order. Are there any cat specialists in his area that he could take the cat to?

chico2
March 17th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Ok,let me see what I know,BB is about 12yrs old was always a very healthy cat,but did not get regular vet-visits,as a kitten he just walked up R's drive-way one day and R kept him.
Strictly indoors.
R(the owner)gave me a rather vague description of the problem,the vet first thought the infection was from a bad tooth:shrug:but then said his teeth were not bad.

I think it might be from a cat-bite,since he and one of the Siamese wrestle quiet a lot.
R said the vet suggested surgery,with an uncertain outcome at a cost of $2.500.

14+,Junior the younger Siamese has kind of adopted my son,but BB also stays with him a lot,however not hiding under the bed:(

I will see if I can copy and paste some of the answers you gave me.

SCM,I don't know what kind of pain-killers he is on,but I knoiw he is very difficult to pill,might not have ingested much of it,I suggested a pain-patch but it might be over-kill...I do not want BB to die because of this:(

14+kitties
March 17th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Did the vet look for an abscess at all? If there is one there it probably needs to be opened and drained. :shrug: That would probably go a long way to relieving the pain.

chico2
March 17th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Yes 14+,I was thinking that too,I am sure that would not cost $2.500..but why would the vet not suggest that??
Maybe there is no abscess,I'll have to ask him.

chico2
March 17th, 2011, 05:09 PM
R just told me BB is on Clavamavox as well as the shots:shrug:

ancientgirl
March 17th, 2011, 06:40 PM
If Convenia is an antibiotic why is BB also getting Clavomax, another antibiotic? I've given Orbax to the girls before, for UTI's. Maybe that would be another option for BB?

What a doll she is.

chico2
March 18th, 2011, 08:04 AM
I thought it was a pain-killer:wall:
That is an awful lot of antibiotics,no wonder he stays under the bed..

Love4himies
March 18th, 2011, 08:12 AM
I imagine the kitty is feeling very ill :frustrated:. What a :loser: vet. :yell: :wall:

ancientgirl
March 18th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I thought it was a pain-killer:wall:
That is an awful lot of antibiotics,no wonder he stays under the bed..

Chico, antibiotics often upset their tummies, and we know how sensitive kitty's tummy's are. It's no wonder BB is feeling ill. It's odd that a vet would prescribe so many. I agree with the others that perhaps he should be taken elsewhere for another opinion.

chico2
March 19th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I got an e-mail from R last night,BB seems better,swelling smaller and he is using his back-leg.

His vet is an East-Indian and R says he has trouble understanding him,but I believe there'll be no more shots for BB and hopefully he'll be ok:fingerscr

That's an old pic,but shows BB better,excuse my sons unmade bed,he does not live in my house.LOL

Love4himies
March 19th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I got an e-mail from R last night,BB seems better,swelling smaller and he is using his back-leg.

His vet is an East-Indian and R says he has trouble understanding him,but I believe there'll be no more shots for BB and hopefully he'll be ok:fingerscr

That's an old pic,but shows BB better,excuse my sons unmade bed,he does not live in my house.LOL

I am so glad :thumbs up.

I thought the kitties messed up the bed :p

mikischo
March 19th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I am so glad to hear that BB is on the mend and that he will not be getting any more injections. Maybe the 6 months of Convenia was a misunderstanding due to the language barrier. Anyway, all's well that ends well. :goodvibes: that he is completely back to his old self very soon. By the way, BB is a gorgeous boy!:lovestruck:

chico2
March 19th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I was talking to R again,he called about Vinnie and Chico and he also told me,X-Rays showed BB had at one time broken that leg,something R knew nothing about.
It is very possible arthritis has set in.

Love4himies
March 19th, 2011, 01:54 PM
The poor kitty. :(

RUSTYcat
March 19th, 2011, 03:10 PM
...It is very possible arthritis has set in.

Chico- because of a few specirfic points you've described, I feel there's one message you need to get through to your son's landlord - make sure BB does not get this drug (http://www.metacamkills.com)

If it appears that BB has arthritis and pain meds are indicated, there are a number of other effective arthritic pain relievers/treatments available.

ancientgirl
March 19th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I'm so glad BB is okay. Hopefully he won't be needing any more shots and will soon be off of those antibiotics.

chico2
March 19th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Rustycat,BB is not yet on any Arthritis meds,it was just me assuming he would become arthritic in his leg,but to be sure,I'll let him know about Metacam,would not most vets know already?

AG,he'll get no more shots,it might have been a missunderstanding problem with the vets accent.
But BB did get two shots of Convenia.