Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Schnauzer Pup Problems

Mysts38
September 23rd, 2004, 06:23 AM
Hi ALl

I puppy sit my best friends 10 week old mini schnauzer and they are having serious biting/aggression problems with her...She doesnt just nip..but really can sink her teeth into anything she can get her mouth on

She mostly goes after their young daughters ankles and feet,and they are getting really frustrated with her..When she is with me..and she goes for my hand I say very loudly and firmly NO and stop all play..

She does growl and bark...tried to take on my cat yesterday and she lost..she got swatted...but that didnt stop her,she went right back after the cat a 2nd time...She really is a very sweet endearing puppy..

I tried to explain to my friend that at this age,she needs to be played with....and stimulated,otherwise she will get bored and resort to problem behaviour..she also likes to dig..imagine at her age LOL

Any suggestions that you can give to me to pass on to my friend would be very much appreciated...

GsdDiamond
September 23rd, 2004, 08:28 AM
I have many battle scars from when Diamond was a pup. Those milk teeth can really hurt!

At this age they must be shown that nothing connected to a human is fit for biting. Do not play tug at this age. They can't tell the different between the end of your hand and the beginning of the toy. Not to mention, you can rip out teeth from tender gums.

Have many toys around that are suitable for bite play. Toss them, let the dog bring it to you thinking you'll play tug, and toss another one. This way you're allowing the pup to chew it's toy but not you hand. If the pup starts to try and chew you, stop play immediately (after sternly saying no - don't yell) and put the pup in a time out in it's kennel. After about 3 minutes or so, let the pup out, take it pee outside (it'll get used to the idea that out of the kennel means outside to pee THEN play), and start to play again.

Eventually the pup will learn that if it chews you, play stops. That's something the pup doesn't really want, so it should learn pretty quickly. Diamond, at almost 8 months old, no longer chews on me except to show me something. My spouse, on the other hand, is a different story. MANY battle wounds there!

Best of luck to you! (where's the picture?)

Mysts38
September 23rd, 2004, 08:55 AM
I will print out this message and pass it along to my friend..Here is a pic of her baby..her name is Maggie Mae...when this was taken she had just settled down for a morning snooze

GsdDiamond
September 23rd, 2004, 10:12 AM
Awww! She's adorable!!!

My advice is probably not the best advice you'll get here, far from it. There are many other people who know WAY more than me, so I'd wait to see what general consencous (sp?) is before printing my advice. It worked for me, but that doesn't mean it'll work for everyone.

Lucky Rescue
September 23rd, 2004, 11:29 AM
Mini Schnauzers can be very domineering and pushy. They need firm training and leadership and if they do not get it, they will take over.

All puppies bite and nip. They need to be patiently taught not to do this, and they need obedience training. Getting frustrated with a 10 week old puppy will not help.

No harsh or punitive methods should ever be used on such a young puppy. NO "SWATTING". You would'nt hit a 1 yr old human baby for grabbing a cat's tail, and this is tiny baby dog, and hitting will teach her nothing.

I agree the best method is yelling "OWWWWW!" so the puppy is startled, then fold your arms and ignore him for a few minutes or give him a little time out behind a gate. Puppies understand this, because when they bite and hurt a littermate, the other puppy will yelp and not play with the biter.

Dogs do only what works, and if biting gets them ignored and not biting gets them playtime, they soon learn.

Puppy kindergarten would be a good idea.

glasslass
September 23rd, 2004, 12:08 PM
Adorable puppy! :)

Cinnabear
September 24th, 2004, 11:59 AM
What a cute pup. :)