Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rescuing hairless cats?

marko
March 12th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Hi members,

In a few months from now i'd like to consider rescuing a hairless cat or kitten.

Does anyone know any rescues near Montreal that may have hairless cats?

Thx!

Marko

BenMax
March 12th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Marko, the SPCA is your best source. Though rare..they have had some exotic breeds that have passed through their doors. Also, they will provide you with a name of a rescue that takes in only purebreds. They are located very close to the SPCA.
Good luck.

I hope you have done your homework on this breed and what is required...which I am sure you have.

If you do not find a hairless, I hope that you will help a domestic which are in desperate need.

kathryn
March 12th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Ohhh Marko I hope you know what you are getting yourself into! These kitties require some special care as I am finding out! You have to bathe them on a regular basis, as the oil on their skin builds up into a lovely wax.. I've been finding that out with my naked girl. Plus you have to make sure you keep them climate controlled... not too hot or too cold.. and they wear clothes :o

The one I ended up with the people originally paid $1,500 USD from the idiot breeder for.. but the breeder that originally bred her was a complete :yuck: and the people that bought her were no better.. the lady that rescued her is a Sphynx breeder near me and she took the whole litter from the people because they were being neglected.

Your best bet is to try and adopt a retired show/breeder cat. They are adopted out more often then you would think..

I would check out www.sphynxlair.com I just joined the other day and the members have been quite helpful. I think there is alot of drama going on there but I don't know anything of it, everyone has been nice to me.

Melinda
March 12th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I would also like to know, I've had a client for two years interested in one, a little female, he and his partner have two males and would like a little girl now. and yes, they spay/neuter them all *S*

Winston
March 12th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Marko have you ever checked out a cornish rex? they are very nice cats as well. A good friend of mine always has had a cornish rex and they are really neat kittys! they have a teeny bit of hair but its really different than normal cat hair.

krdahmer
March 12th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Ohhh Marko I hope you know what you are getting yourself into! These kitties require some special care as I am finding out! You have to bathe them on a regular basis, as the oil on their skin builds up into a lovely wax.. I've been finding that out with my naked girl. Plus you have to make sure you keep them climate controlled... not too hot or too cold.. and they wear clothes :o

and don't forget the sunscreen! (supposed to keep them out of direct sunlight as well as their skin will burn)...my aunt has two hairless and a rex...they are adorable, but ya more work than the average kitty!

marko
March 13th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks SO much for the comments and tips. I have only started to research this breed I'll admit, but so far....nothing sounds too daunting.

If anyone has additional resources for this breed, and you posted it here that would be great.

Just curious folks - I've occasionally heard that there is potential for hairless cats to be easier on allergy sufferers - does anyone have any opinion on this.

The Cornish Rex (my second choice right now) is another breed that I have Occasionally heard the same thing...any opinions on this?

I'm REALLY hoping to be able to rescue versus buying....my wife and i are going through kitty withdrawl. You know, shaking, night sweats, the whole thing - lol.:clown:

BenMax
March 13th, 2011, 12:07 PM
The information you were provided is incorrect. There is substantial amount of protein in the saliva which means you can still be highly allergic. This false information provided to hairless animals is a gimmic.
The only cat that carries the less amount of allergens is called the Siberian. They are a long haired cat however do not carry this protein that most do.

Please research.

Rgeurts
March 13th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Marko, Cornish Rex are beautiful cats (the hairless Sphynx are cute too, but kinda freak me out lol). Here is a little info on them both, as well as the Siberian which is thought to be one of the safest for people with allergies, but still not hypoallergenic:

http://cats.about.com/od/allergiesandcats/tp/CatAllergies_Breeds.htm

A good site for Cornish Rex:

http://www.suite101.com/content/cornish-rex-cat-breed-profile-a92205

Good luck!!

Bina
March 13th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Many years ago I thought that a Rex breed of cat would be a good solution for an allergic person I know, and I was really excited about the breed. A short while later I noticed that the allergic person was even reacting to a lick on her arm from a dog outside...so that kind of put the Rex cat adoption on hold. Some people are very sensitive in their allergic reactions.
One thing you can be sure of is less hair to vacuum ;)

marko
March 14th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the info everyone!

Yeah I know about the saliva thing BM, but I was hoping that maybe because they might groom less (less hair) or have less surface area for the allergen to cling to, that that might make a difference.

Basically I just wanna believe in Santa :D

Rest assured I will 100% do puhhhlenty of additional research when the time comes :)

Thx all!
Marko

marko
June 23rd, 2011, 11:07 AM
Hi members,

My wife and I are finally ready for more cats.
I do believe we've settled on the following breeds in this order;
Sphinx
Cornish rex
Siberian

I've been searching quite a bit and there does not seem to be a lot of these breeds available for rescue which is my preference. (I'd probably be willing to drive up to 6-7 hours from Montreal)

So if anyone knows of an available rescue kitten/cat from these breeds, I'd love it if you could pass on that info by PM.

Thanks! :goodvibes:

sugarcatmom
June 23rd, 2011, 12:03 PM
You could try contacting some reputable breeders to see if they know of any rescue situations. They also sometimes have retired show cats for adoption.

marko
June 23rd, 2011, 02:46 PM
You could try contacting some reputable breeders to see if they know of any rescue situations. They also sometimes have retired show cats for adoption.

quite a good idea - many thx!

14+kitties
June 23rd, 2011, 03:01 PM

:thumbs up Stellar advice as always!
You could also pm BenMax. With all of her rescue efforts and the rescues she knows maybe she could help you out. Personally I'm not a fan of Sphinx cats but if that's what floats your boat. :shrug:

Golden Girls
June 27th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Hey Marko you probably already know but in case you don't check out Animal Adoption Montreal (AAM) & Chatopia Alot of pretty cats there who also need a home - including Sphynx, Angora, Siamese, Persian, Bengal, Balinese, Himalayan http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?shelter_id=QC35

Good Luck :goodvibes:

marko
June 27th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I did know of them and have been checking regularly - thx for the reminder.:thumbs up

Golden Girls
June 27th, 2011, 02:50 PM
I just noticed they have a Tortie Point Applehead Siamese very young named Lickee - who just happens to have an extra toe, she's beautiful!

also Swagger, a Cornish Rex

Golden Girls
June 27th, 2011, 02:51 PM
oopps didn't realize your replied. OK great you know of them.

BenMax
June 27th, 2011, 06:57 PM
The ONLY cat that has the less allergins are the Siberian. Hairless cats are not allergy free. One was given to the shelter I am with because it caused allergies to the woman.

Stick with something that is known to suit your requirements.

BTW - Siamese have the most allergens. Persians are less. Siberians however are the most recommended.

It is extremely rare to find Siberians in rescues. You may have to go to a good breeder.

Best of luck.

Dee-O-Gee
June 27th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Wishing you all the best and commend you for your rescue efforts Marko. :thumbs up

Please be sure to smother us with pictures when you find your beloved match. :)