Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please Help! My cat has twisted a toe badly

chitao
March 12th, 2011, 01:46 AM
Hi everyone, I have a cat with a similar problem as this one had here:

http://www.justanswer.com/cat-health/2hrw8-think-cat-sprained-broke-one-back-toes.html

But its slightly different, its on his back right foot and it looks as if the equivalent of his thumb is bent up and over the top of his paw.

imagine if your thumb was sort of broken or out of its "socket" or something and it was bent and resting on the top part of your hand.

There's no other signs of damage and it doesn't seem to hurt him to touch it, (hes been licking it a lot and sort of biting at the toenail/claw thats sort of pointing straight up) but he is limping, avoiding putting any weight on the foot, and sitting a little funny.

Any one know what might be wrong? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
- Lee

BenMax
March 12th, 2011, 07:11 AM
This sounds painful. I cannot imagine walking around like this myself and would be seeking medical attention.

Please consult with your vet.

hazelrunpack
March 12th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Definitely have the foot checked out at a vet. Sounds like a dislocation or a break--either can lead to arthritis if not taken care of.

14+kitties
March 12th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Oh My Dear, a visit to the vet is very much called for in this instance. We are not vets and most certainly can not give diagnosis on line. Please take your kitty to your vet asap.

catnmouse
March 12th, 2011, 03:59 PM
No question about it: take your cat to the vet right away!

Sylvie
March 12th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I agree a vet visit is in order.

Good luck :pawprint:

chitao
March 12th, 2011, 05:30 PM
thanks for all the replies, i will be taking him to the vet either today or tomorrow (since today is sunday.)

Thanks again.

BenMax
March 12th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Good luck and tell you how it goes.:thumbs up

chitao
March 14th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Batman has returned safe and sound from the vet.

Took him in yesterday morning (monday) for a consult ($50 NZD) and they told me it was a badly dislocated toe. They said they might be able to relocate it which could cost about $150- $200 NZD, but if they were unable to relocate the toe then it would have to amputated at a cost of around $400-$500.

They had to keep him in over night and try to do the relocation in the morning.

Having already paid $50 for the consult I was expecting to have to pay $200-$250 all up, or much, much more if it had to be amputated.

When I called them in the morning they told me that they had successfully relocated the toe and not only were they not going to charge me for the overnight stay, they said that the $50 I had already paid for the consult would go towards the $120 (!) for the relocation so I only had to pay another $70!

Very happy with the result, hes walking around fine as if it never happened and the toe looks perfectly normal now.

Thanks heaps for all the replies from everyone, greatly appreciate it.

Cheers!!
- Lee

exkalibur
March 14th, 2011, 11:28 PM
That is excellent news.:thumbs up

14+kitties
March 15th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Now aren't you glad you took your kitty in dearie? I bet your mind is now at rest. It could have been so much worse. I'm glad your little sweetie didn't have to have his toe amputated.
Thanks for letting us know dear.