Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pilling The Nino!(Land shark)

pattymac
March 10th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Oh My what a kitty!! So took him back to the vet the other day as I noticed he had what looked like a boil in the corner of his mouth. The previous meds hadn't knocked it out. So anyway vet gives us Baytril, more potent. Very tiny little pills, he gets 3 a day, too small for the pill gun. Believe me in the last 20 years or so of giving cats pills for various things, I've never had a problem!

Nino is different! He's like a little land shark. He's totally got avoiding swallowing a pill down to a science and with those big canines I don't feel comfortable sticking my fingers anywhere near his mouth! He snaps and can jerk his head away soooo fast, like greased lightnening. Not too mention how strong he is! Last night I smushed up his pills, dissolved them in a bit of water and used a syringe to squirt it into the back of his mouth. Sort of worked...major drooling no doubt the stuff tastes very nasty but I think he got most of the dose into him. His abcess looks alot better today..but 10 days of pills...eeecckkkk. He likes Temptations for treats, I may see if those pill pockets would work for him. Any suggestions? Anybody else have to pill a very large, very strong, doesn't like to be manhandled kitty?! I haven't really found any treat like people food that he really likes. Dogs are so much easier to pill, stick it in a hot dog, throw it in the air..snap..boom gone!

14+kitties
March 10th, 2011, 06:07 PM
19 pounds of semi feral muscle - pilled by sitting behind him, putting him between my knees, opening his mouth with one hand from behind so my hand is over his eyes, bringing head up and back, and popping pill into back of throat. All done very quickly.
The dog on the other hand - I have found her estrogen pills that I thought she has swallowed wrapped in cheese about two hours after on the carpet - usually in a corner.

pattymac
March 10th, 2011, 06:24 PM
So you kind of pull up on his top jaw? I've always done the insert fingers in corners of mouth and give a little squeeze. I don't want to do that of course, because that's where his abcess is.

I'll try that tonight. Now the pills are really tiny, should I do one at a time or throw all 3 in at once? This is the first time I've been nervous pilling a cat!!

14+kitties
March 10th, 2011, 06:29 PM
So you kind of pull up on his top jaw? I've always done the insert fingers in corners of mouth and give a little squeeze. I don't want to do that of course, because that's where his abcess is.

I'll try that tonight. Now the pills are really tiny, should I do one at a time or throw all 3 in at once? This is the first time I've been nervous pilling a cat!!

Yes, gently.
If they are tiny pills and he can handle all three at once with no danger of choking then you could probably do them all at once. I would be concerned about choking. Can you syringe a bit of water into his mouth afterwards please.

pbpatti
March 10th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I have an idea for you, if you wrap a towel around him like a cape you should be able to contain him a litle easier. Also maybe do some gentle circular touches around his mouth before you try to pill him. patti

pattymac
March 10th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Great I will try the towel and circles as well! Thanks for all the ideas!

sugarcatmom
March 10th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Definitely try Pill Pockets, especially if they're tiny pills. Might want to ask the vet about giving all 3 at once though - they may have to be spaced more evenly than that for better coverage. Plus the possibility of developing digestive issues could increase if they're all given together.

I would also make sure to give a probiotic (can be mixed with wet food) to counteract the annihilation of the good bacteria. Give it at separately from the antibiotic (by at least an hour or 2) to avoid interfering with it.

Coat the antibiotic in butter or else syringe in a water chaser (or give Nino food or treats after) to make sure the pill goes down if you administer it by pilling. Many times a pill will get stuck in the esophagus and that can cause a lot of pain (as I'm sure anyone who has had that happen can attest to).

And good luck! I have a feisty kitty too that doesn't take to kindly to me messing with his mouth. I've decided that if I can't find another way to give him the meds, he won't get them. Ain't worth the stress.

Shaykeija
March 10th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Pilling a cat needs specialized equipment. May I suggest this?.......

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/tradeinindia/IR80515KnightSuitOfArmour.jpg

lol

pattymac
March 11th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Well I got one into him, so I'm splitting them up tomorrow. He'll just have to deal with me grabbing him every 8 hours and shoving a pill down his throat, butter did seem to help though. No drooling! Poor kitty...at least he doesn't hold a grudge!

cpietra16
March 11th, 2011, 06:37 AM
I noticed that many pills disolve in liquid....I put Antonio's pills in warm tuna juice (warm up the tuna in microwave) let the pills sit in it for a few minutes...give cat liquid....he never knew hwat happened and he is holding not grudges....at least none that I know of....yet!!!!!:D

I also do this with Winnie's glucosamine pills...and these are huge...Winnie had a habit of licking everything in her plate but always left the pills behind until I learned that they can dissolve in liquid....good luck

pattymac
March 11th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Got one pill into him last night, another this morning, so will give another tonight! I may try the tuna juice with one...I just wish he wan't so darn fussy with his food! I hope this works to clear it up..I absolutely hate it when anyone's not well. Doesn't seem to be bothering him, he's still eating fine but of course it's bothering me!

chico2
March 11th, 2011, 04:29 PM
It seems it's working fine for you,but when I had to pill Rocky 3 times daily for about 3 yrs,I crushed his pill in a soup-spoon mixed in some food and he would happily lick it up,while I held the spoon,then eat the rest of his food in a dish,but he loved his food.

Now Vinnie,when on antibiotics,I would hold on to him and hubby threw the capsule into his mouth and made him swallow,no prob's.
I find capsules are much easier to pill.

pattymac
March 11th, 2011, 07:38 PM
So for this afternoons pill, I wrapped Nino in a tea towel...well it worked!! He was alot calmer! So we're going to repeat for his bedtime pill. Thanks pbpatti!!