Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Clever squirrel

Dog Dancer
March 7th, 2011, 02:49 PM
So my DH feeds a squirrel that frequents out back yard. He has gone so far as to build him a feeder station because when he used to put nuts out the crows would eat them. His feeder station is on top of my winter bee condo (a shed that is insulated with 4" styrofoam for warmth). Well yesterday I finally got into the bee condo to check out and feed the over-wintered bee's to find that Mr. Squirrel has chewed through the styrofoam and built himself a lovely little nest behind/beside one of the hives. So he's smart enough to find himself some shelter, but here's the clever part - the bee's keep their hives at about 32 degree's C all winter, so clever Mr. Squirrel built his next where he could cozy up to a nice warm hive box. Radiant heating! I hope it's not a Mrs. Squirrel who surprises me with a litter of babies in my bee condo!

Melinda
March 7th, 2011, 03:01 PM
*L* ohhhh would you have to disturb the nest if its a female??? can we get a pic of this "nest"?

Dog Dancer
March 7th, 2011, 03:07 PM
No I wouldn't bother her if she had babies. We left the nest where it is anyhow. The squirrels don't bother the bee's at all. Skunks will eat them though and make them angry by scratching on the boxes, but the squirrel just seems to be looking for warmth. He's got enough food he doesn't need to go for the bee's. I'll try to snap a picture next weekend when I go in to feed them. It's in a rather awkward spot so I can't guarantee anything. He's got a pile of leaves behind one of the hives. This aint no dumb rodent!

14+kitties
March 7th, 2011, 03:14 PM
:thumbs up Very smart squirrel. Funny how some people seem to think animals are stupid.

Dog Dancer
March 7th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Stupid! Hah. There's so much going on the brains of most animals I can't even imagine it. I know that the girls think about things waaaay more than most people give dogs credit for. You can see their brains cranking away sometimes in such a human way it's almost scary. The cats were the same way, you could see them thinking of things all the time. I'd love to be able to read their minds - well maybe not....:D

14+kitties
March 7th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Stupid! Hah. There's so much going on the brains of most animals I can't even imagine it. I know that the girls think about things waaaay more than most people give dogs credit for. You can see their brains cranking away sometimes in such a human way it's almost scary. The cats were the same way, you could see them thinking of things all the time. I'd love to be able to read their minds - well maybe not....:D

Probably not. Would scare us!! ;)

hazelrunpack
March 7th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I wonder how long it's been in there? :D Sounds like the shelter makes a nice squirrel condo, too!

Wow, and I'm impressed! 32*C? :eek: Too bad there's not a way to harness bee power for heating houses!

chico2
March 7th, 2011, 05:29 PM
DD,I am glad we are not the only ones,we too have a little feeder house for our Squirrels,not because of the Crows,but the Blue-Jays.they have plenty to eat at the birdfeeders.
In the spring,we put out cat-hair,pieces of cloth and strings for the birds and the Squirrels and they use it for their nests...LOVE it when the Squirrel-babies come out,they are soooo cute and nearly tame at first.
Wish I had Frenchys Churchill,lots of hair on him,but Vinnie has plenty too..:laughing:

Dog Dancer
March 7th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Hazel, I think he's been there all winter. I've seen the bits of foam around so I knew somebody was in there other than the bee's.

Chico2, Shadow has a good double coat, and I do brush her out back sometimes and know the birds and all love the hair, but DH hates it when it gets into his veggie garden. Which has the garlic growing in it right now.

It would be great if we could harness bee heat. They form a cluster in the winter and vibrate constantly to generate the heat. So I guess if we had enough people in the house and we all sat close together and shook we'd warm the place up???

hazelrunpack
March 7th, 2011, 08:47 PM
The Pack tends to keep us a degree or two warmer. If they're all outside or away in winter, the furnace has to work harder. :D Unfortunately, it's the opposite in summer--the A/C gets a real workout! :o

Love4himies
March 8th, 2011, 12:48 PM
The cats were the same way, you could see them thinking of things all the time.

cats are smarter than dogs :p :laughing::laughing:

I am amazed how smart animals, I guess it is Darwin's theory of evolution. Any animal this is not smart, does not survive long enough to pass on it's genes. Too bad that didn't apply to the human race, though :frustrated:

When I watch the squirrels, you can see them planning their route to the bird feeders, without having to touch the ground.

I second Melinda's request for pics :D :pray:

Dog Dancer
March 8th, 2011, 01:21 PM
l4h, sometimes I think they're all smarter than us! Really, who's feeding who and picking up poop (in bags or scoops).... Ask 14+, she works to feed the cats, I think I work to feed the dogs.... Yeah, who's smart and who's not?? :wall: I will try for pics, I don't know how they'll turn out though tucked down in a dark corner, we'll try.