Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

30 cats under one caring roof

mikischo
March 4th, 2011, 08:44 AM
30 cats under one caring roof

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/30-cats-under-one-caring-roof-117393373.html

Winnipeg has a population of under 700,000 people and there are over 100,000 homeless stray and feral cats roaming our city in our bitterly cold winters. Our rescues are stressed and some have been barely able to keep afloat over the past few months. We need more people like these. I would definitely not classify them as hoarders. Hope they are allowed to keep them. Sounds like they have a good chance.

sugarcatmom
March 4th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Lay said the home's three litter boxes are changed twice a day, and he and his partner wipe their floor every day to clean up any unexpected kitty accidents.

I hope this is a misprint, or else those better be mighty huge litter boxes. 3 boxes for 30 cats?!?! And they're only changed twice a day??? No wonder they have to wipe "kitty accidents" off the floor.

BenMax
March 4th, 2011, 11:18 AM
You know I thought the same thing SugarCatMom...I have 4 cats and 6 boxes...but as long as they are cleaned daily they are not stinky.
But if 3 boxes for 30 cats..then I can understand the odour that was mentioned.

mikischo
March 4th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Very good point about the litter boxes. I read the whole article but that went right over my head until you people pointed it out. :o

It is possible it is a misprint. Would be interesting to find out. Winnipeg animal services is usually quite sticky and the inspector deemed the odor to be minor. I believe the reporter that interviewed them and wrote the article was there as well so who knows. :shrug: They are recommending to city council that the owners be allowed to keep the cats.

Love4himies
March 4th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I agree about the litterboxes, unless they are huge sandbox size, however, if that is the only problem, then they are better off with dirty litterboxes than out on the streets trying to survive, having litter after litter of kittens.

What really, really ticks me off is the fact that a city will fine you for having too many pets, or should I say taking care of the throw aways from other citizens, without any offer to help this person :yell::frustrated:. What would be better, just allowing the cats to starve and die outside :frustrated:? I guess what I am trying to say, you get fined for helping animals that the city can't be bother helping. Geesh, what a society we live in :rolleyes:.

I hope he gets his permit and that Winnipeg will seriously look at Calgary's model, a model, which in my opinion, every city and town should strive to have.

kathryn
March 4th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I hope this is a misprint, or else those better be mighty huge litter boxes. 3 boxes for 30 cats?!?! And they're only changed twice a day??? No wonder they have to wipe "kitty accidents" off the floor.

First thing I saw too. I don't have as many as I should (7 for 12) but I ran out of places to put them :o

I will never understand why they will put soooo much effort into taking animals from good homes to dump them in their own shelters which in return costs THEM money and the animals end up being PTS anyways :shrug: I mean, who am I honestly bothering with my 12 cats?

Now as for some of my neighbors kids, I wouldn't mind seeing them taken away and PTS :mwaha:

sugarcatmom
March 4th, 2011, 01:19 PM
however, if that is the only problem, then they are better off with dirty litterboxes than out on the streets trying to survive, having litter after litter of kittens.

100% aggree with you on that!!

Now as for some of my neighbors kids, I wouldn't mind seeing them taken away and PTS :mwaha:

:laugh:

pattymac
March 4th, 2011, 01:57 PM
L4H, what's Calgary's model?? I am looking for places to move to and the Calgary area is one that I'm considering. I've heard it's a VERY dog friendly city.

Personally I wouldn't try to take on that many cats, but if I had a bigger place, I wouldn't be against rescuing a few more, with the possibility of adopting them out.

I would have more boxes for that many kitties!! Mind you, I have 2 huge boxes, the one will hold a 30 pound bag of litter. It's awesome! I have to get another one. I suppose too, if they're using a good quality litter that would help too.

14+kitties
March 4th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Let's :fingerscr these folks get their permit. I totally agree there should be many more people like them. It would help immensely with the overpopulation.

chico2
March 4th, 2011, 04:31 PM
This couple are doing the city a favor,I sincerely hope they get to keep the cats,the man obviously loves them very much.
I would definitely suggest many more litter-boxes,,but that's all,maybe some company will donate litter and boxes:fingerscr

So,bottom line leave those cats and the elderly couple be,we need more love in the world:cat:

sugarcatmom
March 4th, 2011, 05:04 PM
L4H, what's Calgary's model?? I am looking for places to move to and the Calgary area is one that I'm considering. I've heard it's a VERY dog friendly city.

Calgary is a fabulously pet friendly city! Tons of great off-leash dog parks, top-notch veterinary care (I lost count of how many 24hr emergency clinics there are now, plus some great holistic vet options), no cost spay/neuter for low income pet owners, and very fair laws and regulations (called the "Responsible Pet Ownership" bylaw). More info below, but some of the big points are no bsl, no household pet limits, cat and dog licensing, and an extensive education program that begins in the schools.

So come on down!

The Best Animal Control Program in North America (http://saveourdogs.net/2009/04/03/%e2%80%9cthe-best-animal-control-program-in-north-america%e2%80%9d/)

The Calgary Model for Success (http://saveourdogs.net/2009/08/09/the-calgary-model-for-success/).

pattymac
March 4th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the info!! I hope this couple gets their licence! That's one thing I've been checking while I've been looking for a new place, is pet limits etc. Some towns are very restrictive then wonder why they have such a problem with strays etc!!

Goldfields
March 4th, 2011, 06:52 PM
sugarcatmom, those articles are the best thing I've read for a long time. It stands to reason that a city that allows such freedom for pet owners is going to attract more vets and others who care for animals, but I just can't praise your Bill Bruce highly enough. I don't know that anywhere in Oz we'd have such a model, though where my sister lives it's heading in the right direction I guess. They have a limit on the number of dogs and cats but she was told that as long as they hear no complaints, they won't be worrying how many she has. As for the man with his 30 cats, I'm not sure that any one person can give so many animals the one on one attention they deserve, but he is certainly the next best thing and that's a life of luxury at least, snug in his house. No-one else is being asked to live with the aroma. LOL. Good on him, I hope he gets approval.

Love4himies
March 5th, 2011, 04:29 AM
sugarcatmom, those articles are the best thing I've read for a long time. It stands to reason that a city that allows such freedom for pet owners is going to attract more vets and others who care for animals, but I just can't praise your Bill Bruce highly enough. I don't know that anywhere in Oz we'd have such a model, though where my sister lives it's heading in the right direction I guess. They have a limit on the number of dogs and cats but she was told that as long as they hear no complaints, they won't be worrying how many she has. As for the man with his 30 cats, I'm not sure that any one person can give so many animals the one on one attention they deserve, but he is certainly the next best thing and that's a life of luxury at least, snug in his house. No-one else is being asked to live with the aroma. LOL. Good on him, I hope he gets approval.

There is no reason for any city here in Canada not to have the policies that Calgary has, absolutely none. They just can't get over the archaic way of thinking that animals are property and not worthy of people's tax money :frustrated:

As for one on one attention. Cats can prefer the company of other cats. My Rose actually prefers to be with Jasper than us. She will come on my lap for a couple of minutes a day and that seems to be good for her. Puddles and Sweet Pea are just happy to be in the same room as us humans, and will cuddle Jasper before us :shrug:

BenMax
March 5th, 2011, 07:03 AM
There is no reason for any city here in Canada not to have the policies that Calgary has, absolutely none. They just can't get over the archaic way of thinking that animals are property and not worthy of people's tax money :frustrated:

As for one on one attention. Cats can prefer the company of other cats. My Rose actually prefers to be with Jasper than us. She will come on my lap for a couple of minutes a day and that seems to be good for her. Puddles and Sweet Pea are just happy to be in the same room as us humans, and will cuddle Jasper before us :shrug:

L4H - the politicians are egotistical SOB that do not like to have egg on their faces. They will not budge because they do not want the public to say that they made a mistake...or that the laws are flawed...even if they are from the 1890s!!!

As for the cats..well now I am down to 4. 3 out of 4 (all males) are constantly together...only one cares if I live and breath..because he is a fat boy who loves food..and I am that source for him. The one female (the strangled cat)...is the only one that asks for human companionship. So I agree with you L4H that cats prefer cat company..at least they are perfectly fine with that arrangement.

14+kitties
March 5th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I think people need to remember that cats are not like dogs. Cats don't need constant stimulation, long walks, long periods of playtime, or lots of human companionship. They are quite content to have a few minutes of your time either being petting, having you dangle a toy for them to attack. They'd much rather you threw a few play mice down for them to "hunt". If they have a safe place to go and food they are very happy campers. JMO of course.
With all of mine there are probably a quarter of them that give me no more than a passing "Oh, the gravy trains here" look. As long as I am putting food down for them I am their best friend. That's not to say that they shy away from my attention. All but the true ferals love their pets and they are slowly coming around as well.

pattymac
March 5th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Mine, except for Noella, are all love bugs. Bobee in particular, he's happiest on your shoulder. Noella's too busy yet to be snuggly but if you pick her up it's instant purr and if she's not in the middle of playing will settle for a bit of a snuggle. Coco's not a lap cat but likes to be beside you. Nino comes for a bit, kneads you to death and then leaves, then comes back a while later, kneads..leaves..he's a bit weird sometimes ;)

Goldfields
March 5th, 2011, 09:15 PM
.only one cares if I live and breath.

ROTFL @ that comment, BenMax. I suppose that does sum up cats, ditto for what the others have said. They probably wouldn't care if their owners were out in the snow as long as they came in occassionally to look after them. Dogs stick to you like Velcro though.

Bill Bruce and Calgary needs lots of publicity I think, because usually it's people power that gets things changed, not politicians.

mikischo
March 21st, 2011, 01:45 PM
I never did post the update to the above story.

The couple were granted the permit to keep the cats. Here is the article:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/winnipeg/2011/03/07/17531106.html#/news/winnipeg/2011/03/07/pf-17531106.html

Apparently one of the cats, Bandit, had to be euthanized on the morning of the hearing. :( It gives no details so I can only surmise that it was due to some serious health issue.

For those who were wondering about the litter boxes, apparently they were using only four. The permit was granted with the stipulation that they up the number to 10 litter boxes.

hazelrunpack
March 21st, 2011, 01:53 PM
That's sad about Bandit, but I'm glad the other cats are able to stay home! :thumbs up

chico2
March 21st, 2011, 04:27 PM
mikischo,I am happy to hear that,:thumbs upas long as the cats are happy,healthy,spayed/neutered and are not left running around in the neighborhood,this cat-loving couple are doing the city a great favor in taking care of them.
To bad about Bandit,but I am sure there was nothing else they could do..:(

Thor's Pet
March 21st, 2011, 05:09 PM
My mom at one point had 12 cats in her home....and 4 that were feral living under her shed that she cared for/fed. A shed she spent over a thousand insulating and such so they'd be warm...and made a "cat door" so they could go IN the shed to be warm as well.
She to had the SPCA called on her, cause one of her cats trespassed on another person's lawn.:rolleyes:
SPCA called....told my mom the "limits"...aka 4 animals period(she lives in ontario). Weither 2 dogs 2 cats, 3 cats 1 dog, etc....my mom had 12 cats, +4 outside, then 2 dogs...and the guinea pigs I had in the basement(I ran a rescue...correction they never left...so home? for guinea pigs, and even my vet called me to take in rescues she found!)...
My mom told them she understood the limit, and that she/we were over, but that none would be going anywhere, and if they had ANY concerns, to feel free to come out and view our home.
Well they did.
Armed with crates and such.
They left, empty crates and all.
They walked thru the house, inspecting EVERY room, every litter boxes(3 under the bed storage containers that were changed daily)...every food dish...every cage...etc.
They also called our vet, verified the health, and fixing of each pet(vet gave us discounts on neuters/spays cause we were rescuing them...so all but one was fixed...and that one was to frail health wise to be put under).
We even had people drop boxes of kittens on our doorstep in the middle of the night!!! kittens we got verified were healthy,socialized, then found homes for. With the understanding we'd be the first they called if for some reason they couldn't keep the kitten...which happened a few times...(a lot of strays came to us pregnant, sadly) and we took them back every single time.
All we were told by the SPCA investigator was simple "cats aren't allowed to trespass, so keep them on your lawn....we saw nothing, and know nothing of this house"...and they left.
So there should be WAY more people like this couple....if my apartment would allow me to have more pets then the 3 I have(which I paid $750 in pet deposits for) I'd SO have more(even at $250 per pet in deposits)....pets make life worth wild.
But ya...I am so happy the city approved their request....as long as they're cared for, loved, and in good health(as well as fixed) who cares how many the home has....
My mom and I had 12 cats,+4 outside(one of which came indoor in the winter, during the summer she would not), 2 dogs, 4 birds and 21 guinea pigs....all of which were rescues of some sort...or strays we just found on our door step.
Like my vet use to say "You take better care of your bunch then some do their one....numbers don't matter...it's the care that does."
It's true....these people seem to take better care of their 30, then I've seen some take care of their ONE...so ya for them! :D
But ya...I am glad they approved that couple's request!
Angie

chico2
March 22nd, 2011, 09:46 AM
Thor,I believe the SPCA are of course concerned about"hoarders"and we have all seen the horror in a hoarders house.
Hoarders,IMO is more a mental issue,than the love for animals.

Once the SPCA sees,the cats are well cared for and loved,I cannot see the point in putting them in cages at a shelter,where they might sit for a long time,only to eventually be euthanised,like so many thousands.
Your mom and you are heroes in my eyes:thumbs up

14+kitties
March 22nd, 2011, 10:53 AM
Sometimes it is far too easy for people to pass judgement on other people for trying to do the best they can to help cats. Instead they get labelled hoarders and much worse. These people are marvelous :angel: for helping in my eyes.

BenMax
March 22nd, 2011, 11:04 AM
Someone actually implied that I could be labelled a hoarder due to 4 cats and 5 dogs (2 dogs that were part of our union).:shrug:

I commend anyone who takes in and cares for the less wanted..the throw aways..the so called strays and ferals.

There is no fine line when it comes to the word 'hoarding'. Either you vet, care for and feed all your animals, or you collect and do no service to the animal. It's pretty easy to differentiate.

Anyone that takes care of these animals and loves them..are angels in my opinion.