Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New dog owner and new to this forum!

hankypanky
March 2nd, 2011, 04:30 PM
Hi Everyone!

I would just like to introduce myself and as a new dog owner (he is 5 months now). He is a Lab Husky Shepard (the shepard is a guess but we do know that he is a lab husky for sure).

I have a question for everyone though, currently he is eating Orijin food for large breed puppies and I know it is a great product. Right now with him eating so much food I wanted to see if there was a cheaper alternative without losing quality. He was on the seafood orijin for awhile but his stomach did not agree with it.

Is it cheaper and better to make our own food?

luckypenny
March 2nd, 2011, 04:50 PM
Welcome to the forum, hankypanky :).

Depending on where you purchase your meat, it can be cheaper. Is it better? It can be if you know what you're doing. If not, then you can be doing more damage than good by omitting essential ingredients to ensure a well-balanced diet. Are you thinking of feeding raw or home-cooked?

In the meantime, you can always top off some of your puppy's meals with real meat or a homemade stew.

hankypanky
March 2nd, 2011, 05:01 PM
right now I am just weighing my options. I know in the summer when he can stay out a bit longer (it is freezing outside right now) we are planning on giving him bison necks and things like that for a treat. The orijin has been fantastic and I will keep up with it unless I think that we could do something better for him. He is a fantastic eater (and as we have found out recently, loves taco's!). This week he grew enough to not only get everything on the counters but also anything in the sink!

reanne
March 2nd, 2011, 09:02 PM
Hi, you could try Acana. It is made by the same people and so is just as high quality, but is slightly lower in protein and fat. Where I live it is about $15 cheaper for a bag, although I feed the fish one so the general Large breed might be a bit cheaper.

Another that you might try is California Naturals. They make nice stuff too, but it will be a bit lower in protein and fat than the Acana, so depending on your dog's activity level you may end up feeding a bit more of it, which then might not really be a cost savings from the Acana, but it would certainly be a savings from Orijen.

Also, you may try shopping somewhere that does a "buy 10 get one free promo", Acana and Natural Balance both participate in this program so it's worth looking into.

Remember that your puppy will want to eat as much as you will feed him, so don't let him get fat! :)

kathryn
March 2nd, 2011, 09:28 PM
I use Fromm dry food for my cats, works great. They love it. California Natural (Natura) was recently bought out by Proctor and Gamble, so depending on how you feel about that it is otherwise an okay food.

Fromm is affordable. It's not available everywhere quite yet though. They have very good customer service. I talk with them often on Facebook and they always quickly answer any questions I have.

Tundra_Queen
March 3rd, 2011, 04:41 AM
Hi

Welcome to the forum!! :)

hankypanky
March 3rd, 2011, 12:39 PM
Thanks everyone, this seems to be a really great forum!

Reanne I was thinking of trying Acana, but after pondering it over last night with my husband I realized that until he is out of the puppy phase we will probably stick with the Orijin. It is easier this way because then the dog and cat are on similar foods...then when they trade I know no one is going to get sick!

On a side note Puppy got his first dose of peanut butter in a kong last night! I have a very happy boy!

hazelrunpack
March 3rd, 2011, 01:51 PM
Welcome to the board, hankypanky! So have you posted pics of your furbabies, yet? We need pics :D If we don't get any, we explode.... :o :laughing: Okay, so maybe that's overstating it a bit.... :p But if you have any to share, we'd sure enjoy seeing them.

hankypanky
March 3rd, 2011, 03:19 PM
I can certainly send some pics! These are for you hazelrunpack! They come out a bit big but if you zoom out your browser it should be easier to see. There is one of Hank when he was a baby, and one now and then one of my wonderful kitty Titus!

krdahmer
March 3rd, 2011, 04:57 PM
Welcome! :D Adorable puppy!!!:lovestruck: And I see you have a pizza cat too!!! :laughing::cloud9:

chico2
March 3rd, 2011, 05:25 PM
Welcome HP,the pup is just precious and I bet he is really handsome now:lovestruck:
The pizza kitty is beautiful,cats seem to have a thing about pizza-boxes:laughing:

dbg10
March 3rd, 2011, 06:45 PM
Welcome hankypanky glad you found us :thumbs up :) Wonderful pics too. I have 4 cats that love pizza boxes and will fight over them LOL :D:laughing:

reanne
March 3rd, 2011, 08:06 PM
Great pictures! Love the pizza cat and your Hank is a good looking guy!

If you're considering the switch to Acana I wouldn't worry about the dog and cat trading, because Acana and Orijen are quite similar. You can look at the ingredients for both on the website. Since they are both made in the same place and by the same company (and they actually run their own factory, etc) you're probably pretty safe. At least he won't be a growing puppy forever...sometime in the future you'll be able to feed a little less! ;)

Dee-O-Gee
March 3rd, 2011, 10:30 PM
Welcome to the board Hankypanky! :thumbs up

Hank sure does have beautiful eyes and Titus is such a cutie pizza baby as well! :)

Thank you for sharing your pictures and hope to see your gang more often. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
March 4th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Love your furbabies, hankypanky!!! Titus and Hank are both gorgeous boys!! :flirt: Thanks for sharing! :D