Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Metacam purchase

radar2000
March 2nd, 2011, 08:35 AM
Hi everyone.

First time poster here...

Radar, our 10 year old chihuahua slipped down some stairs recently. He's OK, but we've noticed that he's still a little sore.

In the past, when Radar would hurt himself and demonstrate similar symptoms, our vet had prescribed 10 mL of Metacam. We would normally give him this medication over a 2 to 3 day period which always got him back to his usual active self.

Unfortunately, his Metacam medication has expired and I would like to quickly purchase a replacement 10 mL bottle so that we can give it to him. I called our vet to see if they would just sell us a replacement bottle, but they will not and have requested that we need to setup an appointment/check-up visit. I then looked online and noticed that there's a site that offers this medication, but shipping can take 14+ business days.

My question, is there anywhere in Canada (specifically in the GTA area) where one can purchase this medication over the counter?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Melinda
March 2nd, 2011, 08:54 AM
not as far as I know , we have to purchase ours at the vets. If your pup is still sore, maybe a quick vet visit would be in order?

radar2000
March 2nd, 2011, 09:49 AM
Thanks for your response Melinda.

We will most definitely bring our little guy into the vet should his soreness continue.

As mentioned above, he has demonstrated similar symptoms in the past and this medication had quickly made him feel better.

Cheers!

Melinda
March 2nd, 2011, 10:43 AM
so did my dog and I treated her as if it were arthritis for almost 2 months, and on a routine vet visit I mention it to the vet and he took two xrays....to show me she had torn the ligaments in her knee...100% and is now 6 weeks later recovering from her tplo surgery. *S* good luck!!

kathryn
March 2nd, 2011, 11:00 AM
I would absolutely advise you to NOT purchase this medication from anywhere other than my vets office. I already recommend people not use this medication, especially in cats, so I would strongly advise you to only get it from your vet. The reason they would want you in for a check up is because Metacam can produce some bad side effects (I've seen it happen on more than one occasion, and know of some cats that have died from improper use of it). It can cause liver/kidney failure so it's a good idea to take your pup in for a checkup incase anything is wrong.

Also, I would ask if you can use something like Rimadyl which is a billion times safer than Metacam.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/CVMUpdates/ucm231254.htm

I have only used Metacam on my cats twice- when my one cat had heart surgery and when my other had a leg amputated. Beyond that, I won't be using it for my cats.. talk to your vet and see what advice they can give you.

Also, have you tried any glucosamine or chondroitin treats/food/supplements? They often work much better than NSAID's in the long run. Also a supplement called DGP works pretty good too.

http://www.dgpforpets.com/

Longblades
March 2nd, 2011, 11:04 AM
http://www.petpharm.org/index.htm

As said above, it is a prescription item. But you may be able to get it at the place I've linked above. I order here or I go in person. Metacam is a commonly dispensed item and they might even have it in stock. The kick is, you do need a Rx. Ask your Vet if he/she will write a Rx. There might be a fee but it should be less costly than an another office visit charge.

This is a real, bricks and mortar pharmacy that dispenses human drugs too.

Check out the price on Meloxicam. Somebody correct me if my memory is failing but I think that is the generic version of Metacam and it is a lot cheaper.

kathryn
March 2nd, 2011, 07:47 PM
Check out the price on Meloxicam. Somebody correct me if my memory is failing but I think that is the generic version of Metacam and it is a lot cheaper.

I'm not sure there is a generic readily available :confused: Maybe in other countries, but if there was one in the states I would imagine the shelter I worked at would have surely been purchasing that instead of the expensive as :censored: Metacam we had to use. Also, I think Metacam may be on backorder in some places. It might depend where you are though.

Some vets offices won't dispense and Rx for things like that, for two reasons

1. Being the obvious reason, they want you to spend your money at their office vs. online.
2. Because if you order it from a place that isn't legit and your pet ends up poisoned/sick/dead they don't want to get in the middle of that.

Longblades
March 2nd, 2011, 09:05 PM
I'm not sure there is a generic readily available :confused: Maybe in other countries, but if there was one in the states I would imagine the shelter I worked at would have surely been purchasing that instead of the expensive as :censored: Metacam we had to use. Also, I think Metacam may be on backorder in some places. It might depend where you are though.

Some vets offices won't dispense and Rx for things like that, for two reasons

1. Being the obvious reason, they want you to spend your money at their office vs. online.
2. Because if you order it from a place that isn't legit and your pet ends up poisoned/sick/dead they don't want to get in the middle of that.Another good reason to be wary of where you purchase is that defects in the medication will not be covered in the U.S. if you buy outside a Vet's office. I'm not sure if this still applies if you purchase from a bonafide pharmacy and have a legitimate script but I was led to think this by a drug company official.

In Canada it's different. With a Rx and from a licensed pharmacy any mishap due to a bad batch of med. will be covered by the pharmaceutical company. the place I linked is a licensed pharmacy. You can check licensing on-line.

In Canada most Vets will write a Rx but the general practise is to charge you a fee for doing so if it is not part of a regular office visit. Many of our own human doctors do the same thing. The fee my previous Vet charged me was much, much higher than the fee my own doctor charged me. And once they charged me even though it was written during an office visit. Not the sole reason I call your attention to the word "previous", but one of them.

Your Vet may still want to see the animal before writing a script. I mean for a second time. Obviously the pet needs to be seen at least once before meds are recommended. In the case of Metacam my Vet is happy to allow me to make the judgement of when it needs to be dispensed since we had a previous need for it similar to subsequent needs.

A second warning about buying on-line, if you do not use a licensed pharmacy, is counterfeit drugs. I don't advise any one to use anything other than a licensed pharmacy but you can check for counterfeit packaging and other tips at many drug company websites. Or, another thing to watch for, is stale dated product.

I researched pretty carefully before buying from the place I linked. I looked at another company which catered to the pet trade and claimed to have a Veterinarian on-site. It was in Winnipeg which reassured me as I am in Canada. Guess what? The Vet was not licensed in Manitoba. When I enquired of the Manitoba agency that regulates Veterinarians (sorry, forget exact name) they told me they had no records on such a person. They also told me that as far as they knew, the address given for the place in Winnipeg was an empty warehouse. I don't know what happened after that but that place is not on the web anymore.

Be careful where you buy from folks.

I double checked and Meloxicam IS the generic of Metacam. My Vet uses it.

kathryn
March 2nd, 2011, 09:25 PM
They do cover stuff like that in Canada? In the US if you buy meds offline and something happens you are out of luck. I know of some places that were making fake Flea & Tick products, selling them online for low prices and it ended up being just rubbing alcohol in the tubes and things like that. I don't really even bother to order any pet meds OTC or Rx offline, it's just easier for me to go through my vet or the shelter or something.

And that's interesting that they charge for a script being written out, with people or animals... I've never heard of that before. I'm not even quite sure that is allowed here. Shows how different things are from one place to another.

If its a respected pet pharmacy, then see what kind of deals you can find since it seems like it's probably much safer to order in Canada.

reanne
March 2nd, 2011, 09:28 PM
Metacam is available as meloxicam generically, which I believe is the human form which is cheaper and you can get at the pharmacy, although for a small dog I don't imagine you could get the script for the human stuff.

Maybe your vet will just charge you a small fee for writing the script? Or he might view it as a "recheck" and not charge at all? If the fee for the visit is an issue, I'm sure you could mention that to your vet and talk about that. Mine is pretty awesome that way.

If you are using the metacam properly and it works for your dog, then I see no reason not to use it. As for people not advising, ALL MEDICATIONS have potential terrible side effects, switching to something else is not going to eradicate the chance of having negative s/e. With all medications, follow directions and monitor your dog closesly.

Whistler gets a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement plus there is some in his food, yet we still need metacam sometimes...he injured his ACL last year and sometimes tweaks it. The metacam is great for acute flare ups. Make sure it is given with food and monitor your dog's stools, as it is an anti-inflammatory and can be hard on the stomach.

dbg10
March 2nd, 2011, 09:35 PM
Welcome Radar to pets forum :thumbs up

To follow up on what Kathryn said Metacam for cats is supposed to only be used pre-operatively as an injection. As far as I can see on their website there is no recommendation for it's use in cats for anything else or on an ongoing basis.
http://www.metacam.com/index.php/Indications-for-Cats
This would apply to the generic version 'Meloxicam' as well.

As far as I know both Meloxicam and Metacam are prescription drugs here in Canada, especially in the GTA. Buying prescription drugs online is dangerous as far as I'm concerned, even if the pharmacy is supposedly a real pharmacy, you have no idea what you are getting when you order online without having personal knowledge of the company.Unfortunately, anyone can put a website up and sell anything until they get caught. :(
:shrug:

Please take your Radar to the vet, your vet may care enough about animals that they want to verify there isn't a more serious injury after the fall. A lot of injuries can happen to little dogs on the stairs, and all dogs can hide their pain very well.

Good Luck :) please let us know how Radar does :)

Longblades
March 2nd, 2011, 09:39 PM
They do cover stuff like that in Canada? In the US if you buy meds offline and something happens you are out of luck. I know of some places that were making fake Flea & Tick products, selling them online for low prices and it ended up being just rubbing alcohol in the tubes and things like that. I don't really even bother to order any pet meds OTC or Rx offline, it's just easier for me to go through my vet or the shelter or something.

And that's interesting that they charge for a script being written out, with people or animals... I've never heard of that before. I'm not even quite sure that is allowed here. Shows how different things are from one place to another.

If its a respected pet pharmacy, then see what kind of deals you can find since it seems like it's probably much safer to order in Canada.Yes, in Canada purchases made on-line are covered IF the place purchased from is a licensed pharmacy AND you have a Rx.

We have government health care here. Doctors file with OHIP, where I am, every time I visit the office so I am generally not charged if they write me a Rx at that time. If I don't visit the office the Doctor can't file but he still has to record it in his records and such so charges me a small fee for that. My Doctor does not charge me for renewal of drugs but my Mum's Doc charges her.

With the Vets, who knows. My present Vet does not charge me to write a Rx, the last one did.