Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Licked himself raw???

ericbruchphotog
March 1st, 2011, 09:39 AM
So, my pooch, a 10 year old blue tick coonhound australian shepard mix, blue, licked a huge raw spot on his hind quarter. This is the third time he has done it over the last 7 months and all different spots on his back legs. it was the size of a quarter yesterday and scabbing over and when i woke this morning he made it about 5" in diameter and its back to being raw, and no hair.

seems to be associated with a joint pain, as it usual happens after a longer then normal hike. granted we went for a 4 mile hike saturday, but he has done 15 mile days in the past with no issues.

He actually will jump up from laying down and act like something is chasing him around. walks fast with head down and tail tucked and can't seem to be comfortable in sitting down. any suggestions of what to apply and give him would be great. I have tried quite a few things including a hot tea compress, tea tree oil spray, mtg and so on. thanks in advance for any and all help and have a great day!

Frenchy
March 1st, 2011, 10:33 AM
It could be many different things that only a vet will diagnose properly. You should take your dog for a vet visit before this gets even worse.

14+kitties
March 1st, 2011, 11:18 AM
As Frenchy said - it's vet time! This could be anything from fleas to ticks to allergic reaction to ......... vet time please. :thumbs up

Love4himies
March 1st, 2011, 11:46 AM
If you can, take a video of how your dog is acting when he is jumps up to the vet with you. The dogs reaction may give the vet some insight in what could be causing this.

Good luck!

rainbow
March 1st, 2011, 06:33 PM
First of all welcome to pets.ca :thumbs up

There is obviously something bothering your poor boy. :( You could probably determine if it was fleas but anything else would need an examination from your vet. Please make an appt asap as lick sores can become a real problem. Good luck and let us know the outcome. :fingerscr :goodvibes: