Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Some People Should MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS!LONG

Mysts38
September 22nd, 2004, 11:25 AM
IAM SO MAD :mad: Last week my gorgeous golden cujo died when he was hit by a car crossing the main road of our very small village(pop 200)..he was out with my husband,when he saw a friend of his and dashed across the road to greet him

Sadly he was struck..and the lady that hit him got out..asked if he was ok,,checked for any damage on her van,then drove off..I havent heard from her since

Anyway..that night I wassitting with a good friend,when a two ladies,one walking a dog,passed..they saw me and one said she was sorry while the friend(dogless one) said to me and I quote "If the damn dog had been tied up he wouldnt be dead right now"

Well my friend and I were so shocked that we were speechless..how insenstive and ignorant of her..
Then I put a "In memory" poster of Cujo at our local post office..because alot of people in the village did love him..and someone wrote on it "dogs should be tied"" I wrote back "so should some humans" Again SO INSENSITIVE

Well to make it all worst,today I was walking my best friends 9 week old pup,had her on a leash and was stopped so she could have a sniff..when another lady in the village(has two dogs) stoppe her car and yelled out her window "I hope this one stays on a leash"

WELL gimme a break! These people are cowards..they cant say these things to my face..god help em if they do..Its not as if I deliberatly,,told Cujo to go get hit by a car...

We are devasted enough..my hubby feels so much guilt because he was out with our bud that night and he feels as if hes reponsible.We loved Cujo with all our hearts and would have NEVER EVER done anything to cause him harm.

WHy are people so ignorant sometimes!

debanneball
September 22nd, 2004, 11:39 AM
Myst, unfortunately there are people in this world that think their $%^&*( doesn't small, and I guess you have a few of them in your neck of the woods. It was very unfortunate what happened, and I hope you can hold your head high, and cherish the memories.

Goldenmom
September 22nd, 2004, 11:43 AM
Let me at them!!! Where do you live, I will show up with my posse!!! I cannot believe how close minded people are. I am so VERY glad they are PERFECT! Please find something to say to these people, do not let them get away with these comments.
I feel so sad for you and your family.....

Heather

Mysts38
September 22nd, 2004, 11:49 AM
Thanks so much for your kindness...We miss Cujo something terrible...and to say this to me has brought the pain fresh and new again....

JUst becaue she ties her dogs up and walks em once a day..does that make her a better dog owner than me? I cherished my golden boy...we played in the yard..we went for long walks in the forest,swims in the river..Cujo DID everything with our family..he went everywhere with me..even if it was to nosh on a stick while I did gardening

Dont people realize that it hurts to do these things daily,without your buddy by your side..dont they realize that you loose the desire to do tasks that you once enjoyed just because you had your buddy with you.

I just cant comprehend it anymore :(

mastifflover
September 22nd, 2004, 11:51 AM
I am so sorry that you are being treated this way. That is disgusting I will be coming up there with Heather lets see how perfect these ignorant big mouths are. You know these are the people whos claim to be so perfect and it is usually their kids do all the vandalisim and graffitti on walls.

Goldenmom
September 22nd, 2004, 11:53 AM
That is disgusting I will be coming up there with Heather lets see how perfect these ignorant big mouths are. You know these are the people whos claim to be so perfect and it is usually their kids do all the vandalisim and graffitti on walls.

I'm with ya, believe me! I could spit nails right now. I'm ticked! How dare they!! To lose a beloved member of your family is so heartwrenching and devastating, but to have this on top of it, disgusts me. How do these people sleep at night??

I would seriously think of writing a letter to the editor of your local paper and explain how hurtful people are.

Heather :mad:

LL1
September 22nd, 2004, 11:58 AM
I'm confused - sounds like some of them have in fact said these things to your face? They are probably upset at the loss of a dog that could have been prevented.

Mysts38
September 22nd, 2004, 12:03 PM
It was an accident..it could have happened to any dog in this village..One day did say it right to my face..but she detests dogs anyway and makes that perfectly clear

Iam going to write a letter,but iam gonna post it at the local post office AND send it to my local newspapers

By the way..the lady that said this nasty thing to me today? Shes a guidance councellor at a local high school..go figure

mastifflover
September 22nd, 2004, 12:12 PM
Well maybe it was preventable but nobody needs to throw salt on the wound. Do they not think that they are not grieving quite enough. So I guess if one of there children ran in front of a car and god forbid was killed do you think it would be appropriate for Mysts38 (if she was ignorant enough which I highly doubt) to say your kid should have been on the sidewalk not running out on the road next time maybe you will teach your child road safety

LL1
September 22nd, 2004, 12:13 PM
You said a woman with 2 dogs also said something to you. I don't think saying what they said to you makes them dog haters - I see it as the complete opposite.

Goldenmom
September 22nd, 2004, 12:18 PM
This is not a perfect world, nor are people perfect! Accidents happen, plain and simple. Could they have been prevented? Probably, but we learn from them and be compassionate to the people it happens to.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

mastifflover
September 22nd, 2004, 12:18 PM
You know what dog owners or not they are rude and ignorant and if the same thing happened to them do you think they would appreciate downright hurtful comments after they lost a dear family member.

Goldenmom
September 22nd, 2004, 12:20 PM
Heaven forbid that one of those ladies dogs collar broke loose and their dog ran onto the street. Do you understand what I am saying???? It can happen to each and everyone of us, no matter how careful we are.

Heather

Mysts38
September 22nd, 2004, 12:21 PM
People of Kenmore

First off. Thank you SO MUCH to those people that have expressed their sympathy to us concerning Cujo’s death.

As most of you know, our family suffered the devastating loss of our gorgeous golden, Cujo..Not only was Cujo a family member but he was my buddy...my constant companion .Little do any of you know how he was treated..what love he was given and the joy he brought to our lives.

It has been a shock to my family and I. While I can blame myself,or my husband,
who was out with Cujo that night,or even the lady that hit him, I simply cannot place blame anywhere ,as it will NOT bring Cujo back to us, nor does it lessen our pain at losing him.

You don't know me ,or my family..you don't know who we are or what we are about, and yet' you feel the need to sit in judgement. There have been some in the village (and you know who you are) that have made nasty ,and insensitive comments either to myself, or others about how Cujo died.

God forbid that for any of you that has dogs as pets, that they suffer any harm or hurt ,because it is devastating, but I or my family would NEVER treat others with such ignorance as we have been treated this past week.

I always believed that small towns such as this, were closer and more caring for their neighbours,but its so unfortunate, how some spoil it for others.I guess this has allowed me to take off the rose coloured glasses, and see people in this village for who and what they really are.

Not only have your ignorant comments hurt my family, but they have hurt another family very close to Cujo ,and you know which family Iam talking about....They too are mourning the loss of this wonderful dog.

None of us ,by any means, are perfect, and this could have happened to any of you that have pets, think about that.

Think about how your comments affect other people..don't assume that you have the right to tell someone else what to do, how to raise their pets..because you don't.

I simply do not want to hear anymore insensitive comments made about Cujo or about my family..and if you simply must say something for the sake of just opening your mouth..have the guts and courtesy to say it to our faces.

Jill & John DaSilva

LL1
September 22nd, 2004, 12:26 PM
I'm very sorry for her loss, but I disagree, and she is not accepting responsibility for it.

This is part of why many rescues want dogs to have fenced yards, and not be on leash, and don't want to adopt out to country homes where the dogs run free.

Mysts38
September 22nd, 2004, 12:26 PM
You said a woman with 2 dogs also said something to you. I don't think saying what they said to you makes them dog haters - I see it as the complete opposite.

Hi

Without trying to sound ignorant myself..Iam not going to try and explain why these people made these comments..nor am I even going to try and make excuses for their behaviour..whatever the circumstances,or how they feel about dogs..the fact remains that their comments were unjustified and very insenstive

Mysts38
September 22nd, 2004, 12:32 PM
I'm very sorry for her loss, but I disagree, and she is not accepting responsibility for it.

This is part of why many rescues want dogs to have fenced yards, and not be on leash, and don't want to adopt out to country homes where the dogs run free.

EXCUSE ME? What do you think I have been thinking about the past week..how dare you assume to know what I feel and what I dont feel..how dare you assume that Iam not riddled with more guilt than any human should feel! Do I take responsibility for losing my dog? of course I do...my husband more so because he was out with him that night

But does this bring back my golden? NO My dog DID NOT run free! He was either inside with us or outside with us...we watched him with eagle eyes....we could never anticipate him running across the st...or dont you think for one single second we would have stopped him?

What about responsibility of the lady that hit him...why havent I heard from her...what about her responsibility to do the speed limit and not 20kms above it at night? what about her responsibility to stop and offer some kind of help

My god....judge all you desire if it makes you feel better!

mastifflover
September 22nd, 2004, 12:36 PM
It has been a shock to my family and I. While I can blame myself,or my husband,
LL1
What part of this do you not get, she know it could have been avoided but hindsight is 20/20. Do you really need to make her feel as bad as the ignorant people in her town. I hope nothing like this ever happens to you, I would not wish losing a dog on my worst enemy. Just a note my friends dog 2 months ago jumped there 6 foot fence ran out on the street and was hit by a car luckily he sustained minor injuries. I guess this was there fault since they went to get the hose in the garage and were not watching him every second. Welcome to the real world where everything is not perfect and **** happens

Goldenmom
September 22nd, 2004, 12:43 PM

You must be one of the people living in her town, yes? I hope you never, ever have to deal with an "accident" in your lifetime. My dogs never, ever run from me when we are going into my truck. The other morning a rabbit happened by and my one girl chased it, right across the road! If it was at the right time and moment, she would have been hit. This is called an accident and I have since learned to put her on a leash, no matter what. Live and Learn!

All this falls in the same category as an accidental child drowning, an accidental farm accident etc.....

A lady I work with was here at work one terrible winter storm. We were snowed in. She got a call from the police that her husband accidently fell asleep and left the car running in the garage. Her 2 young children died in the home. Accident? Yes, a very terrible one that impacted many lives. She since forgave him. Why did she? Because he is human and made a huge mistake in judgement that day.

I am so happy to hear that I am not the only one not perfect in this world. I have made mistakes I wish never happened, but life goes on.

Jill, ignore ignorant people, they must be perfect. Must be nice!

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

lezzpezz
September 22nd, 2004, 12:46 PM
I think what Jill is trying to say is that there is no POINT to placing blame, be it on herself, (which I can clearly see the guilt she is burdened with), or her husband, (also in despair), or the driver, (whom I'm certain feels something too, as she did stop initially and offer to assist), as the unfortunate dog will not be brought back into their family. Cut her some slack. It was an accident, preventable, probably, but nonetheless unexpected and devastating. That's why they are called accidents.

What ever happened to compassion and not hitting someone when they are down? Why not try lending a helping hand, a strong shoulder and some words of solace to a woman who has lost a pal?

Goldenmom
September 22nd, 2004, 12:48 PM
I think what Jill is trying to say is that there is no POINT to placing blame, be it on herself, (which I can clearly see the guilt she is burdened with), or her husband, (also in despair), or the driver, (whom I'm certain feels something too, as she did stop initially and offer to assist), as the unfortunate dog will not be brought back into their family. Cut her some slack. It was an accident, preventable, probably, but nonetheless unexpected and devastating. That's why they are called accidents.

What ever happened to compassion and not hitting someone when they are down? Why not try lending a helping hand, a strong shoulder and some words of solace to a woman who has lost a pal?

Very well put, thank you....

I am too mad to get my words straight.

Heather

LL1
September 22nd, 2004, 12:48 PM
That was my point - and it's from your own words. I wouldn't try and place responsibility on the driver, and you posted she stopped and asked if the dog was ok - I don't think any blame should lie on her.

No I do not live in her town.
[QUOTE=Mysts38]Do I take responsibility for losing my dog? of course I do...my husband more so because he was out with him that night

What about responsibility of the lady that hit him...why havent I heard from her...what about her responsibility to do the speed limit and not 20kms above it at night? what about her responsibility to stop and offer some kind of help

[QUOTE]

Cinnabear
September 22nd, 2004, 12:49 PM
I know what you're going through Myst, but I did not have the comments that people have made to you. I think that is quite inconsiderate and very rude of those people. Are you sending this letter to the paper?

To LL1 I find you ignorant and rude with no compassion. :mad: I find you not accepting the real world when things happen. Life is not perfect and this is where we learn not to be judged, but to be a compassionate human being.

coonlover
September 22nd, 2004, 12:50 PM
Mysts, first of all i'm so sorry for your loss :( Im sure your baby will be sadly missed, all you can do now is cherish the memories you have. Secondly, the b***h who hit your dog, shame on her for being so coldhearted, if I ever hit someones animal I would be devistated to say the least, and would feel aweful for a long time. I hope she gets what she deserves, you know what they say... what comes around goes around. She could have at least stopped.

Mysts38
September 22nd, 2004, 12:53 PM
Ok

For the record.the lady did stop..witnesses say for about 2 mins.asked if the dog was ok..checked her front bumper..said she glad there wasnt any damage and drove away..to me this is NOT stopping....but I guess she did what she felt was necessary..so be it

Goldenmom
September 22nd, 2004, 12:53 PM
Mysts, first of all i'm so sorry for your loss :( Im sure your baby will be sadly missed, all you can do now is cherish the memories you have. Secondly, the b***h who hit your dog, shame on her for being so coldhearted, if I ever hit someones animal I would be devistated to say the least, and would feel aweful for a long time. I hope she gets what she deserves, you know what they say... what comes around goes around. She could have at least stopped.

She did stop and this was not the drivers fault. Us who drive know how hard it is to avoid a collision when an animal runs out. It appears maybe she was going a bit too fast, but I think this terrible tragedy would have most likely happened anyway. I think the driver was more worried about her van than the dog, unfortunately.

Heather

Goldenmom
September 22nd, 2004, 12:54 PM
Ok

For the record.the lady did stop..witnesses say for about 2 mins.asked if the dog was ok..checked her front bumper..said she glad there wasnt any damage and drove away..to me this is NOT stopping....but I guess she did what she felt was necessary..so be it

Obviously not a dog lover! This would haunt my every moment if this ever happened to me!

Heather

animallover
September 22nd, 2004, 12:55 PM
Mysts I am soo sorry for your loss, and it sickens me how people can be so cruel. My heart goes out to you and your family. I just wondered did you know the lady that was driving the van, I just thought if it was a small village that you might know her. And I don't understand why she wouldn't check with you. I hit a cat on our rural road the other night, we took her to the vet but it was to late. It was a stray so there was no owners ( we asked the nieghbours). I still feel sick about it. That is why I don't understand about the lady that hit your beautiful puppy.

lezzpezz
September 22nd, 2004, 12:57 PM
May I just say that Jill, I feel very sorry for your loss. If one was to look at the 5 stages of grief, the second stage is "anger". During this stage, anger manifests itself in many ways and one will naturally question why the incident occured, and, yes, blame may be directed at various sources, such as, in this case, the lady driving the car. Jill has some sorting out and soul searching to do, and this takes time, as there is a well documented process. Once again, cut her some slack. She is human and responding in a very human way to her loss.

badger
September 22nd, 2004, 12:58 PM
Mysts38 I can only imagine how it has been for you. Try not to beat yourself up. If you could just put the accident and what happened after in a box in your mind and don't open it; just remember that lovely animal and what he meant to you.

As for your open letter to the village, I would advise you to put it in a drawer. Take it out in a few weeks and see if you still want to post it. Anger and grief are a poor mix. Nobody expects you to associate with these creeps ever again, but I fear you will be exposing yourself to even more difficulties if you lamblast them publicly. Maybe having just written it down is enough.

mastifflover
September 22nd, 2004, 01:04 PM
Badger I agree with you on the letter just so she doesnt create more angst for herself and her family. I would put it on the fridge and in a few weeks read it again and then decide if you really want to waste your breath on these people since they will probably feel better knowing how much there ignorant comments hurt you and your family. Don't give them the satisfaction.

Mysts38
September 22nd, 2004, 01:08 PM
Thanks so much for your insight.I will put the letter away and I do feel better that I wrote it..even Iam the one that will ever see it..

The comments hurt me too because I think it dishonors cujo's memories..but I have to go on and just think of al the good stuff

debanneball
September 22nd, 2004, 02:12 PM
Mysts, Badger has some very good points...cherish the memories! One of those ladies was a 'guidenace councellor' at the school....wow, how closed minded she must be. It's her way or the highway I guess.... :mad:

iRONKNiGHT
September 22nd, 2004, 02:40 PM
Jill & John DaSilva,
Accidents happends, then we pick up and move on.. people along the way can be very judgemental and negative, ignore them because all they know is to be negative and they would like you to be just like them.. pay no heed and be thankfull for the time you had Cujo knowing that he will always have a special place in your heart's..what happends next depends on faith, believing and doing good.. you're living your life for you and your family not for anyone else...

MBRA518
September 22nd, 2004, 03:12 PM
Jill,
I'm so sorry for your loss.. I had a similar thing happen to me years ago, my dog escapsed through the door to go across the street to the soccar field where dogs were playing - we was also hit - luckily he walked away with only a scratch... It can happen to anyone - don't blame yourself. Just remember the good times and move on.

LL1... how close minded are you? I'm sure many of us have let the dog go off leach from the car to the house (just like Goldenmom mentioned)... I know I do.

And to attack "farm dogs"... sorry my family had poor off leash farm dogs the whole time I grew up.. imagine not being cooped up in an apartment or tied to a dog house whenever the people where away - must be terrible (sarcasm here). You know dogs can be trained to do amazing things if you take the time to teach them - including stay on their property or walk off leash... a dog not on a leash with responsible owners means more training - not bad people.

My rottie is off leash everyday during my horse ride - where she comes with us... she always stays with us - no leash required.

I suppose nothing unexpected has ever happens in your life... must be pretty boring.

Accidents happen no matter who you are.... if none have happened to you - be careful, cause you must be due for one.

LL1
September 22nd, 2004, 04:09 PM
I did not attack the poster, I voiced my sympathies both in this topic and her other one where she mentionned she wants another Golden and doesn't want to get one from rescue due to the hassles, and that it must be CKC registered and between 8 weeks and 6 months. Apparently rescue was approached and the issue was her having young children in the home, altho I imagine there would be concerns about the death of her dog as well.

Because of my different opinion, I have been attacked and called close minded, ignorant and rude and accused of having no compassion. That doesn't change my opinion.

I also did not attack farm dogs. My concern is the safety of the dog, and I wholeheartedly support rescues who want securely fenced yards, dogs on leash, and dogs not unattended and left in yards, and not allowing dogs to be on tie outs.

It's unfortunate you can't disagree and remain calm and not attack. If you're looking for a slam from me or an insulting post it's not going to happen.

Britishvixen21
September 22nd, 2004, 04:20 PM
Im so sorry for your loss, what ignorant bumholes people are!

BamaRama
September 22nd, 2004, 04:21 PM
"I voiced my sympathies both in this topic and her other one... "

Yes, you voiced your sympathies, as well as:

"I'm very sorry for her loss, but I disagree, and she is not accepting responsibility for it.

This is part of why many rescues want dogs to have fenced yards, and not be on leash, and don't want to adopt out to country homes where the dogs run free."

Yes. Sympathies are great during a very hard time. However, if your dog or cat or child died due to an accident, would you like to hear that you aren't accepting responsibility for it and that this is the reason that adoption agencies won't give you dogs/children because they may run free? That IS hitting someone while they are down, and it is WRONG.

"Because of my different opinion, I have been attacked and called close minded, ignorant and rude and accused of having no compassion."

You may not truly be these things, but you sure have shown evidence by your posts that you are insensitive at the very least.

Please take another look at what you wrote and then think of yourself in the same situation. Then think of how you would feel if you were in the OP's place.

mastifflover
September 22nd, 2004, 04:36 PM
I wholeheartedly support rescues who want securely fenced yards, dogs on leash, and dogs not unattended and left in yards, and not allowing dogs to be on tie outs.

Well I have owned rescue dogs for the last 20 years and thank godness that rescues do not have the rules set in stone because I do not have a fenced backyard. I live in a loft and work at least 10 hours a day and am a great owner. My Mastiff can be walked without a leash but I don't for his safety but I know dogs that will not leave there owners side no matter what. Weather you have a fence or not is not going to make you a good owner most rescues base there decision on the person not if they have a fence. I guess you think if they have a fence the dog is never accidently going to get out. The fact that she has children is an issue to a lot of rescues since they don't always know the background on the dogs and are trying to ensure the safety of the children.
and that it must be CKC registered and between 8 weeks and 6 months. Apparently rescue was approached and the issue was her having young children in the home, altho I imagine there would be concerns about the death of her dog as well.
See you did it again there you had to throw that part about the concerns about how her dog died I am sure the rescues would be more understanding then you are. Let me understand you have never made a decision in your life that was wrong and would do anything to change it but can't.
The fact that she wants a CKC puppy only makes her more responsible by not supporting puppy mills or backyard breeders you know dogs bought in pet stores. I know that papers don't guarantee CKC because there are slimy BYB that give fraudulent paper the kind from PJ's for example of a friend who paid way too much and the papers were bogus and the dog had a ton of things wrong with it and they just gave her the runaround. She owns a pug that in the first year of its life cost her over $6000.00 in vet bills. But she got attached and that is what they count on.

chico2
September 22nd, 2004, 04:47 PM
Mysts38,I don't know if we know you from before,but you came to the right place,almost everyone here would just about lay down and die for their animals.
I was surpriced at the mentality in a small town,but there are coldhearted people everywhere,please don't let them bother you and the letter,I would keep it for a while...
I have on several occasions been very angry at people and circumstances,sat down and written letters I later regret.
Give yourself plenty of time to grieve Cujo,in the end those people really don't matter.
Accidents happen and they happen to everyone one time or another,blaming anyone will just cause more grief.....I am sure all of us here sympathize and know how painful it is to lose someone,no matter what the circumstances.
Those nasty people are nonbeings don't waste your feelings on them.

rebel24
September 22nd, 2004, 04:49 PM
I have not posted here in quite some time but recently ran back across this site. And upon getting here I see this post. I hope you Myst can through this horrible accident that has happened. I hope you can see through all the insentive remarks and move through this. Adn for anyone who says she is not taking responbilty needs to really go back and read here posts. Just reading her post I can feel the hurt and pain she most be feeling going through all this. Can't you?

heeler's rock!
September 22nd, 2004, 05:00 PM
Mysts, I am so sorry for your loss! I can't imagine one of my dogs passing before their time....My condolences to you and your family...

LL1, I understand your point of view here but as everyone has so clearly stated, it was an accident. Her husband didn't throw the dog in front of a car, he wasn't driving the car, and he certainly didn't pay the woman to hit the dog with the car. Therefore, it was an accident. even "securely fenced yards" don't prevent accidents. My brother-in-law has a malamute and they have a "securely fenced yard", and he's escaped. I've known dogs left in garages that have chewed through drywall to get out!!! I can't understand why you can't be more supportive. She understands where her responsibilities in this lie, and the woman driving should be feeling like *****, but she doesn't. Don't kick her while she's down, help her up when she can't stand....

goldenblaze
September 22nd, 2004, 05:01 PM
I have been reading this thread and was not sure if I should say my opinion. First I must say I am so sorry for the pain you and your family is feeling and wish you all the best when you do decide to have a new pup from where ever you choose to get one, breeder or rescue.

As for people who believe that dogs must be fenced or tied I don't agree. I have lived in the country my whole life and have never tied a dog up or had some fence that a dog can't see anything. I believe again my opinion a pup must learn from the start not to leave it's owners side no matter what they see or how excited they are to see someone or something. I live beside a farm with lots of cats and my Shih Tzu does not like cats even though he has never been near one in his life, my point he wolud love to run after them. My Golden Retriever Blaze will be 8 months Oct 8th and he learned not to leave my side or my yard. I now use a underground fence ( this doesn't hurt them in anyway) they have lots of room to run and play and be safe. Cats walk by my house my dogs would never leave to go after them, across the street is a 3 yr old Golden as he walks by with his Mom my dogs watch never think about leaving my yard. I believe it is up tp us to make sure our pets are safe and unharmed, yes accidents happen and it is no fault of anyone.

One last thing again my opinion, no one would try to hit an animal.... but I am sure many like myself would go off the road to save a pet but what about people that get hurt when doing this to save a animal. Where I live in Ontario if your dog is on the road and someone hits the animal and any damage is done to the car you the pets owner must pay for any repairs, they say it is the pets owners responsibility
to insure they do not cause harm to anyone on the road aswell.

So in closing I say again I feel for you and hope your family feels better soon, remember the great times aswell.
Take Care

Shaykeija
September 22nd, 2004, 05:25 PM
Sounds like the small town I lived in. If you were not an original pot plant there, you were an outsider. Don't show those inbred hillbillies your pain. They just sound mean spirited and small minded. So sorry about your loss. Your dog sounds like one in a million.

pxxiegirl
September 22nd, 2004, 06:24 PM
There is a leash law in AZ but occassionally I'll see a person in my neighborhood who has a dog out without one. You know what I do???? I slow the hell down!!! I slow down just in case the dog should run out in the street like Cujo did. I do the same when I see young children walking on the sidewalk even when they are with an adult. You never know what they might do without thinking first. My point is pets are family members too. Although some could argue that a leash could've prevented this (and maybe not) maybe the driver could have driven more cautiously if she saw a dog unleashed. It was a horrible accident and I am so sorry for your loss and for being treated unsympathetically by a few rude thoughtless people.

glasslass
September 22nd, 2004, 07:11 PM
Mysts, I too am so sorry for your loss and what you are going through. I always wanted to believe animal lovers are compassionate people; that it's something we've learned and gained from nurturing animals. Alas, even among ourselves, it seems there are those that make themselves feel big and self-righteous by putting down someone who has been made vulnerable. I'm truly sorry you've experienced that on this forum. Please be assured the majority of us are feeling your pain and knowing that, but for the grace of God, we could be also be going down that path. Please hold your head up. The opinions of those who would kick someone that's down, don't amount to squat.

Mysts38
September 22nd, 2004, 07:12 PM
Thanks so much everyone for your kind words..its so much appreciated..

We want another golden....from a breeder.Cujo was adopted by us at the age of 2 from a neighbour..we have decided to get a puppy this time so that we can train him/her right from the start..

Cujo was rarely tied up..as I do live in the country...Cujo never left our side,,except for this one time and look what happened..It took alot of effort on our part and his to train him not to leave the property...

We dont want a puppy from a pet store..
We dont want a puppy from a newspaper ad or bulletin board
Its hard to find purebred goldens at the local pound..we have looked locally and beyond
We cant have a golden from a rescue,as we have been told not possible with young kids

So our only recourse is to go with a good breeder..we have researched breeders up and down Ontario,what to look for,what to expect,questions to ask etc..and have found a good breeder..

With a new puppy,I will do the same as I did with Cujo...she/he will be trained from day one not to stray off the property...to be by our sides at all times... my husband also plans to build a large dog run... We will do our best to keep a new baby healthy,safe and happy..perhaps we failed in that with Cujo..and the lesson has been learned....a hard one indeed

tyr
September 22nd, 2004, 07:33 PM
Myst, many condolances to you and your family during this time of heartache and sorrow. My sympathy and heart go out to you.

As said in many responses prior to my own, accidents do happen and no matter if it is preventable or not the pain is just as intense. This really could happen to anyone....and has.

I can understand how his tragic end could be such a shock. I have a friend who is a dog owner and he never leaves their side. He is on and off his leash all the time. It would come as a shock to any dog owner who's dog never strays for that dog to have a moment out of the ordinary where he/she makes a dash and ends up being struck. By the sounds of your messages your husband assumed Cujo would not flee and was surprised when he did. This says to me that he was probably very well trained and had much love so he had stayed by your side at all times and never strayed. It is very unfortunate that his first dash was his last. I know what it is like to lose a much loved pet to such an unkind demise and I feel great sadness for your husband who must have went through much heart ache and tears during that moment.

As for those who cannot lend their support and have nothing nice to say to a fellow pet lover who is going through such a hard time at this moment in their life - why say anything at all? No one here enjoys reading your messages as all you are doing is preventing her from being able to heal completely. You are very much entitled to your opinion and you have said what you have to say more than enough times.

moontamara
September 22nd, 2004, 07:43 PM
Mysts, I'm sorry too. Please note that everyone on this thread save one person believes that this could have happened to them, and we are all sorry for your loss.

pug lover
September 22nd, 2004, 08:01 PM
I believe that I am a responsible pet owner however my cat got run over by a city bus in front of a bunch of kids comming home from school. I wholehardely sympathize with you and your family, my condolences and best wishes for any future pet you may have

Goldenmom
September 22nd, 2004, 09:17 PM
I'm confused - sounds like some of them have in fact said these things to your face? They are probably upset at the loss of a dog that could have been prevented.

LL1, was just reading another post you made yesterday on this same persons post? I am very confused??? Why the difference in opinion from yesterday to today? :confused: :confused:
#5 Yesterday, 12:08 PM
LL1
Junior Member Join Date: Sep 2004

I'm so sorry about your dog, it can happen so easily when off leash or in unfenced yards. My sympathies.

rexdoggieowner
September 22nd, 2004, 10:10 PM
Wow, i can't believe that, i would go metal..

here is my story of people that should mind their own business... me and my friend were walkin rex on a beautiful back road, its was in the afternoon, but we weer in a shaded area, so it wasn't too hot. then a car drove by, a couple minutes after they stopped the car ( 2 young adult females in the front and one young adult male in the back). the one girl said, " why don't you take off your shoes and walk around" i had no idea what she was talking about, then she RUDELY explained that its hot out and my dogs feet are getting burnt by the road, i was thankful that she pointed that out, but she kept on B*it%#ing, then yelled as they were driving by " B****" to me. I was in shock. then i looked at rex's feet, they were fine, no cuts. burns or discomfort.. i even walked bare foot myself, it was fine.. THE NERVE of her calling me that. i can understand saying it in a polite fashion, but nope..

oh, and don't even get me started about the people i encounter at work ( i'm a waitress at east sides part time & a college student) wow.. sometimes i wanna slap people and walk away!!! ahhh

haha.. sorry about the long story.. i got tons if anyone is interested in hearing my waitressing stories.. lol

wAggie
September 22nd, 2004, 11:12 PM
Jill,

I'm terribly sorry for your loss. I can't even begin to imagine how you and your husband must feel...

as someone stated earlier, "ignore the ignorant people"

it'll do you good.

Take Care. :( *hugs*

Spurby
September 23rd, 2004, 02:22 AM
WOW, i am really surprized at the majority of responses here, and i am guessing that most will not like what i will have to say about this either.

First off, i am truly sorry Julie for losing for dog this way, and i can see and understand that you are very upset over this.

LL1, i have to agree with though, this was no accident, no leash or collar broke, the dog was off lead because the owner chose not to put one on. I understand many people chose to let there dogs off-lead when outside of safely fenced areas, but remember, there is no such thing as 100% recall, things like this DO happen all the time(ask any vets office), and the animal ends up the loser. I am guessing the rescue you dealt with may have had concerns about this as well?, i know i would if i were doing your application. I would have hated to be that driver, it would give me nightmares for weeks to hit a dog and kill it through no fault of my own. I also find your neighbours reactions to be quite strange? I think there is more to this story and their reactions then what we have read, after all, there is always 2 sides to a story.

Please people, keep your dogs on lead when out, so this doesn't happen to you and your precious pets.

moontamara
September 23rd, 2004, 02:56 AM
this was no accident.

umm, yes it was an accident.

rebel24
September 23rd, 2004, 06:46 AM
LL1, i have to agree with though, this was no accident, no leash or collar broke, the dog was off lead because the owner chose not to put one on. I can see how you think this was not an accident. Could it have bee prevented maybe but won't change what happened. This family has been through alot with losing a dog, they have a town that treats them unkindly.Then they come here were friends are to talk about this then and there are a few select people to are trying to make her feel more guilty than she already feels.

I would have hated to be that driver, it would give me nightmares for weeks to hit a dog and kill it through no fault of my own.
By no fault of the driver?! This driver does play some part in this. While if the dog was leashed maybe this would not have happened, had the driver not be driving over the speed limit she may have been able to stop and avoid this from happening. What if this was a child. And you were out in the yard playing with the child and the child suddenly darts out into the road. And before you can get to this child a car comes speeding down the road and hits the child then is the driver still not at fault.

What happened to this dog was accident pure and simple.

debanneball
September 23rd, 2004, 07:04 AM
PEOPLE, THIS WAS AN ACCIDENT, A HORRIBLE ACCIDENT, AND YES, IT COULD HAVE HAPPENED TO ANYONE IN HERE. SH#$%^&* HAPPENS. GET OVER IT, LET MYSTS GET ON WITH HER LIFE, LET HER GET HER NEW PUPPY, AND LIVE EVERYDAY WITH THAT PUPPY (PICTURES PLEASE...) AT HER SIDE.

To LL, the only thing I have to say to you is (as Glasslass put it if I am correct) animal people are compassionate people. Tell me, do you own an animal, if so, what, may I ask? I also hope you never suffer the loss of that animal because you won't receive any compassion from me. :mad:

LL1
September 23rd, 2004, 09:08 AM
Thanks Spurby - I suspect you are in rescue, and yes we are compassionate people but we also care deeply about the animals!

Goldenmom
September 23rd, 2004, 09:23 AM
Thanks Spurby - I suspect you are in rescue, and yes we are compassionate people but we also care deeply about the animals!

I am also in Rescue. I am also a foster home for dogs. You people just do not get it. Accidents happen and no matter how hard we try, they will always happen. We here in Pets.ca all care deeply about animals, this is clear. At the same time, you have to care deeply about humans and be compassionate and understanding. I don't see that in you at all, sorry. You appear to be very cold and not caring about how a family is trying to get over this devestation. It could have happened to anyone, yourself included. Any dog can get out of a fenced in yard if they really want to. Any dog can break away from a leash, collar etc.... I'm done with arguing this point, as there is just no changing people's perception of what real life is about.

Spurby
September 23rd, 2004, 09:35 AM
Why do you guys continue to want to argue this point with people who happen to disagree?

I don't think YOU get it. Accidents are like you stated above, leashes/collars breaking, are just that, accidents. Failing to leash a dog while walking on a main road with cars driving by-whether it is a small town or not, is neglegence.

No problem LL1 :)

wAggie
September 23rd, 2004, 09:38 AM
hmm...

I didn't catch the part about this taking place on a MAIN road...

I thought it was some dirty road, where (if I had the type of dogs) I would take mine off leash as well... it's like children, they'd be allowed to run across the dirt path to pick some flowers from the bush across the "street"

soooooo what kind of road was it again? :rolleyes:

Writing4Fun
September 23rd, 2004, 09:41 AM
At the same time, you have to care deeply about humans and be compassionate and understanding.
Absolutely, Goldenmom! This is a public forum meant for voicing opinions. And yes, you are entitled to your own opinion. But there is also a time and place for certain comments. When someone comes to this board in their grief looking for comfort from like-minded folks, you DO NOT say "I am sorry for your loss but...". Hold your vitrual tongue and do not intrude on this family's grief with your judgement. Voice your opinions on a different thread at a later date, if you really feel the need. That is just common courtesy for a fellow human being.

Mysts38
September 23rd, 2004, 09:50 AM
Cujo wasnt being walked off leash near the main road..he dashed from my hubbys side off our property to go greet afriend across the main st..and he was hit.

The only time Cujo was walked off leash was when we went for our bush runs..and his swim

wAggie
September 23rd, 2004, 10:01 AM
THANK YOU, mysts... I thought I recalled that was it as well!

(wanted to re-emphasize the point to some :mad: )

Joelle
September 23rd, 2004, 10:16 AM
Mysts38,

I just want to extend my sympathies. The same thing almost happened to me with my Golden Retriever. This was years ago, but we were playing on my "residential" street but Jessie decided to go see our neighbor's cat...we called her but to no avail...The van stopped just inches from her face...I was about 10 and the lady was going about 60-70km in a resident zone of 40km. If the lady would have been going at the right speed it wouldn't have been such a near miss.

People always have to be careful when driving in residential areas, if its not a dog or cat it can be a child on a bike which has just about the same realization with cars! If it would've been a child...the lady would've been charged with a hit and run even manslaughter! :mad:

I just want to say that some of us realize that certain events happen and cannot be avoided. Don't do the "what if I'd" or "if he would've" scernarios...I've done that many a times before...It will make you feel worse...Just think of the loving and caring home you've given Cujo. My sympathies and if you need a shoulder to cry on...Let me know.

Joelle

Missy
September 23rd, 2004, 10:26 AM
I am very sorry for your loss, I know how hard it can be to lose a pet, you really never get over it. And to have had it happen in such a way, that must have been awful. I agree that you shouldn't focus on placing blame, either on yourself or on the driver, but remember the wonderful life that you gave Cujo.

mastifflover
September 23rd, 2004, 10:48 AM
Well I am glad that LL1 and Spurby live in a perfect world and these things would never happen to them, since they are perfect owners mind you LL1 you never answered what kind of pet you have. Take off your rose coloured glasses and you will see that we do not live in an ideal world, and accidents do happen if you read the dog was on there property not being walked without a leash. So if that would have been your child that ran out on the road and had been hit by a car I guess that would not be called an accident either. You would be irressponsible parents, and not deserving of sympathy. So before you say kids and dogs are different, my dog is my kid.

LL1
September 23rd, 2004, 11:17 AM
That had me wondering too. :confused:

I also find your neighbours reactions to be quite strange? I think there is more to this story and their reactions then what we have read, after all, there is always 2 sides to a story.

heeler's rock!
September 23rd, 2004, 11:46 AM
Geez! Now there's 2 ganging up on Mysts? You know what, Mysts has gone through enough without the need for you two butting in.

I suspect you are in rescue, and yes we are compassionate people but we also care deeply about the animals!

Yeah, and? I have been in rescue for 3 years and have seen good owners make bad choices and pay for it with the rest of their lives by blaming themselves. I seem to be more of a compassionate person than you, so what rescue are you with? "Perfect dogs for perfect people"? Sorry, I never heard of that one!!! :rolleyes: :mad:

I choose not to tell them what they already know when they're grieving. Mysts isn't stupid, she knows Cujo should have been on leash, you know what, he should have been inside at all times and never left alone, :rolleyes: but that doesn't change what happened. Now all she can do is grieve, and she needs our support. Why do you feel the need to make her feel like s*hit? Does it make you feel better? Does it make you feel like you are the world's best pet owner?? I'm sure you've had preventable tragedy happen to you in your life, so please, don't judge lest ye be judged!!!!!! :mad:

Goldenmom
September 23rd, 2004, 12:19 PM
That had me wondering too. :confused:

I personally don't care and neither should anyone else! Geesh!!

BamaRama
September 23rd, 2004, 12:35 PM
Well said, everyone.

The point that LL1 and Spurby don't seem to be getting here is that you DO NOT kick someone while they are down. You just don't. Like writing said, there is a TIME and a PLACE to voice your opinions--this thread isn't it, AND THIS SOON AFTER HER HORRIFIC LOSS isn't it either.

Tell me--those of you that are so quick to judge, if you lived on a farm like Mysts, with tons of acreage, and your dog was trained to stay with you and not run out into the main road, you would let him off leash too, wouldn't you?! Answer that HONESTLY. ANY dog owner would, I think.

You do not know Mysts, you do not know her situation. Who made you God to judge her?!

This makes me very angry.

Mysts--don't listen to these ignorant, close-minded people. Karma will bite them in the ass someday.

debanneball
September 23rd, 2004, 01:50 PM
Very well put Bam...however, when Karma bites them, ask him to leave an indent so they will learn compassion and forgiveness. OKAY..?

heidiho
September 23rd, 2004, 01:52 PM
Yeah there are alot of judgemental people here who are very heartless,dont worry about them,who really cares about people like that and there attitude..I am sorry for your loss............

Cinnabear
September 23rd, 2004, 03:25 PM
Very true BamaRama. It's called compassion when someone is down and not be judgamental.

iRONKNiGHT
September 23rd, 2004, 03:29 PM
The point that LL1 and Spurby don't seem to be getting here is that you DO NOT kick someone while they are down. You just don't.

Which reminds me of the Two Frogs..

A group of frogs were traveling through the woods, and two of them fell into a deep pit. When the other frogs saw how deep the pit was, they told the two frogs that they were as good as dead. The two frogs ignored the comments and tried to jump up out of the pit with all their might. The other frogs kept telling them to stop, that they were as good as dead. Finally, one of the frogs took heed to what the other frogs were saying and gave up. He fell down and died. The other frog continued to jump as hard as he could. Once again, the crowd of frogs yelled at him to stop the pain and just die. He jumped even harder and finally made it out. When he got out, the other frogs said, "Did you not hear us?" The frog explained to them that he was deaf. He thought they were encouraging him the entire time.

This story teaches two lessons:

1. There is power of life and death in the tongue. An encouraging word to someone who is down can lift them up and help them make it through the day.

2. A destructive word to someone who is down can be what it takes to kill them.

Be careful of what you say. Speak life to those who cross your path. The power of words... it is sometimes hard to understand that an encouraging word can go such a long way. Anyone can speak words that tend to rob another of the spirit to continue in difficult times. Special is the individual who will take the time to encourage another.

lezzpezz
September 23rd, 2004, 03:32 PM
That was, by far, the most enlightening thing I have read today. A very poignant and perfectly timed statement, indeed!

debanneball
September 23rd, 2004, 04:05 PM
Iron Sir..you truly are a crusader..very nice put. :D

BamaRama
September 23rd, 2004, 04:15 PM
So eloquent, Ironknight! Very well put!

TalonsMa
September 23rd, 2004, 05:13 PM
Jill...I want to say how sorry I am for you and your family. I have never lost a close pet and can only imagine the pain you are going through right now.
Have fun with the new puppy, and ignore those who who you no compassion :) This is a great board, with alot of very nice ppl, and you have all of our support!