Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please read!!

Goldenmom
September 22nd, 2004, 08:09 AM
I want to say something that I feel is very important here at Pets.ca.

There was recently a post in Vet Advice that I hope opened a few posters eyes. Someone came asking for help and immediately got jumped on and labelled as a "troll" How wrong they were!

I hope this causes a wake up call to many people here at Pets.ca. As much as everyone would like to think that this is an ideal world and that all people think the same etc...., this just isn't so.

This is a forum where people should be able to come in, post a question no matter how "stupid" or terrible it sounds, and get a respectful reply by those of us that know a little about their problem. If the dog should see a vet, then nicely say so..... Not eveyone knows the severity of a condition and what is normal or not. We are not to judge, just be considerate and respectful.

Lets try to be helpful here and not hurtful,
please please

Heather

moontamara
September 22nd, 2004, 08:59 AM
I believe I was principally involved in the thread which you mention, so I feel I should respond here.

Well I don't necessarily agree that I jumped on her (well, maybe a little) I do definitely agree that I was too quick to assume the worst. I have since apologised on that thread as well as exchanged private messages with her, and I think my karma is back to normal :p

But Goldenmom is right, as it was a wakeup call for me, and hopefully it will be for others too.

Thanks for writing this, Goldenmom.

GunnerX
September 22nd, 2004, 09:04 AM
I've been on several forums for years and find that the regulars get to know each other really well and develop a mob mentality. When someone new comes in and posts something the mob doesn't like, everyone jumps in and rips them a big one no matter how innocent the post is. People need to remember that they were once newbies too.

Goldenmom
September 22nd, 2004, 09:06 AM
I believe I was principally involved in the thread which you mention, so I feel I should respond here.

Well I don't necessarily agree that I jumped on her (well, maybe a little) I do definitely agree that I was too quick to assume the worst. I have since apologised on that thread as well as exchanged private messages with her, and I think my karma is back to normal :p

But Goldenmom is right, as it was a wakeup call for me, and hopefully it will be for others too.

Thanks for writing this, Goldenmom.

No, I was not directing this email to anyone in particular. I was harsh in saying "jumped on" I was referring I guess to other threads also. You handled this situation gracefully and very politely. I thank you for that!

Heather

mastifflover
September 22nd, 2004, 09:07 AM
I agree with you totally on this Heather. This was something I noticed when I first came here but it did get better for a while. We really need to stop and think before we respond. People come looking for help and are not as experienced with pets as some of us, so we need to take the time to explain and help. Then it becomes a win win situation for everybody especially the pets.

BamaRama
September 22nd, 2004, 09:16 AM
Well said, Goldenmom. *thumbs up*

lezzpezz
September 22nd, 2004, 09:20 AM
Thank you for saying this and saying it so eloquently. As a new member on this site, I myself have felt rather "trounced on" and at one point, had come to the defence of another unsuspecting newbie, only to have both of us be "trounced on". I don't think the other "newbie" ever came back.

People visiting pets.ca come from all walks of life. Some of the users have apparently been on this site for a long time and are very familiar with eachother. Some of us "outsiders" have been made uncomfortable when asking valid questions. Remember that not everyone visiting this site is a breeder or a participant in rescue organizations, rather, we might simply be pet owners or wannabe pet owners just looking for advice or light conversation. I, for one, will be the first to admit that I do not know everything about animals, but came here to tap into education and gain enlightenment as there is a vast wealth of knowledge amongst the users. The last thing I wanted was to be put on the defensive.

heeler's rock!
September 22nd, 2004, 04:04 PM
I agree Heather, and I know I have been less than polite here. I have to remember that opinions are just that, someone else's opinion. I don't want to scare people away who are seeking help....Thanks for the reminder.... :o

goldenblaze
September 22nd, 2004, 04:48 PM
I must say when I started here not long ago I am sure I ask a stupid question or two but I think it was a great place to come and ask for advice, I did get some great advice and was educated at the same time. But at the same time think we all have our own opinions and should not just agree to make someone feel better. Great place here at pets.ca, glad I found you all :)

Britishvixen21
September 22nd, 2004, 05:31 PM
Wow what a wonderful bunch you all are, as a newbie myself to this forum i have always been treated well.

I guess that the way we raise our animals is very much like we would raise children, and sometimes poeple have different opinons on that.

However critism if it is constructive can be a way of bettering ourselves, but i do emphasise the word "constructive"

pug lover
September 22nd, 2004, 05:45 PM
I am new on here, I don't know about trolls and mobs however I do know what is right and what is not.

I too have come down hard on some peple, I have apologised once for this but sometimes the posts are really too unbelievable and unreal.

I have mad it a point not to answer any of these

I have to agree though that not everyone has common sense anymore and is willing to do anything the cheapest way possible--re self medicate their pets,wait for a problem to become life threatening or just come in here to start a war the moderators or whoever must make the decision to close an out of hand post quicker before appolgies etc must be posted

heidiho
September 22nd, 2004, 06:19 PM
Gunner rex has it right,that does happen

pug lover
September 22nd, 2004, 07:14 PM
what is a troll?? :confused: i thought they were ugly creatures that guarded a bridge or something like that

melanie
September 23rd, 2004, 04:49 PM
a troll is someone who wanders around the net and these sort of boards and jsut cause trouble, such as asking really horrid queistion so abusive questions ect. well that is what i reckon anyway, they troll around sort of thing. :D

i dont believe there has ever been a 'mob' mentality here with any of the older posters, it is each individuals opinion and reaction to a certain situation or post. it is important to remember the medium we are using to communicate with does not allow for any other form of expression such as gestures and tones in our conversation so alot is lost in the interpretation of most things. :D :D