Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on Brick

Catt31
September 22nd, 2004, 09:01 AM
Just a quick update on his training and such - I know Luba wanted me to keep her posted!! He has now learned his basic commands and is working on 'come' and 'heel'. I am now able to walk him WITHOUT his Gentle Leader, so that my arm stays in its socket!!! :D

He is doing veryyyyy well, and picking up new things quickly! His only thing is that other dogs and people distract him immensely, and we are working on that, but it is hard.

We still have an issue with the garbage - houdini here was able to open the cupboard door, so we had to buy a baby lock for it! Even a run in with a mouse trap didn't stop him!! Crazy dog!!!

We are starting FlyBall next Tues. night so we will see how that goes. If he likes that, and is able to concentrate, then we will put him in Agility next summer!

That's it, that's all!! We're keeping busy walking and training (and working - ugh)!! :cool: Brick is loving life!!! Here is a pic of him and his "frog dog" pose!

chico2
September 22nd, 2004, 09:56 AM
Awwww Brick,he's sooo beautiful,love his backlegs all stretched out,cute :p

Writing4Fun
September 22nd, 2004, 10:04 AM
He's beautiful, and you should be very proud of yourselves! Walking without a gentle leader - wow! Kudos! :D

iRONKNiGHT
September 22nd, 2004, 03:02 PM
Brick looks SHARP! very relaxed! :) keep up the good work :)

Catt31
September 22nd, 2004, 06:40 PM
Thanks you guys!! He is such a handsome fella!!! (I'm reallllyyy biased!!) It took many walks, and many tears, and many sore arms to get him where he is now. He still needs a bit of work, but its 110% better!!! I'm sure many of you remember my little emotional breakdown, I was sooo frustrated, and of course everyone here calmed me down, and we worked through it!! Wheeee!!! Thanks again everyone!!! :D

glasslass
September 22nd, 2004, 08:19 PM
Froggie doggie!! Soooo cute! :D

wAggie
September 22nd, 2004, 11:02 PM
AWWW, that's excellent!!

how long has it taken for him to get to this point in life? :)

Sneaky2006
September 22nd, 2004, 11:22 PM
Very cute! Love the frog legs! What kind of dog is he again?

Catt31
September 23rd, 2004, 09:03 AM
We've had him since Feb. 24th, 2004...so only 7 months. We only started "officially" training him in July though!

We aren't sure what type of dog he is...but we figure he is Rhodesian Ridgeback and Shepherd, maybe some lab too...but who knows!!! :rolleyes:

wAggie
September 23rd, 2004, 09:29 AM
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

you must be so proud!! :D :D :D way da go, mom!

Mysts38
September 23rd, 2004, 09:57 AM
What a gorgeous boy..I just love it when they lay like frogs..too cute! :)

Catt31
September 24th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Thanks!! I am veryyy proud of him!!!! We've worked hard!!!

rexdoggieowner
September 24th, 2004, 05:44 PM
good for you.. how did you manage to teach him not to pull ?!
like what technique did you use ?!

Catt31
September 26th, 2004, 09:34 PM
We use "heel" - basically. We still need work but its coming - better than it was!!!

rexdoggieowner
September 27th, 2004, 09:28 AM
i'm having trouble with rex.... he wont come when called when there are distractions !! ( check out my other thread in training )

Catt31
September 28th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Yeah, that's where we are having some issues too. Our trainer told us to get a 100 foot rope and go to the park where there are distractions, let him sniff around with the rope attached to him. When you call him, only say come once then tons of "good boy"...."Brick, Come, good booooyyyyy, good doggie, good boy, etc." Then give him a treat. If he doesn't come, give the rope a tug, then when he does come, give him lots of play and loves and treats. The hardest part about that is not using the word come in everyday situations like calling him for dinner, or such.....come should only be used when you need him to come NOW, and it could save his life, several times. Its just taking us a LONG time to get him to not continue sniffing or chasing another dog or whatever.....it's sooo frustrating, but we keep at it. I'm hoping he will learn it as quickly as the other commands, but I have a feeling this one will take some time!

He is also struggling with "leave it" - when another person or dog approaches, he is soooo friendly and wants to see them, but he shouldn't. Our trainer says he should be able to ignore a dog 2 feet away from him, and stay in command - and well, he doesn't, he can't!! YET!! He's just too damn social!!! LOL :D