Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Laxatives & all not working on my cat

EvaFluffy
February 24th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Hi all,
I've tried everything I can think of to get my cat to poo and she's just not going. Some background first: She's a 1.5 year ragdoll and has always had consitpation problems and streaks of blood in her poo. Vet said she has "mechanical problems" and I bought that for a while, but recently realized it could be hairballs. I didnt used to brush her often and she doesnt know how to vomit hairballs so I recently started assuming the hairballs are making her constipated.
Well I tood her to the vet a week ago because she didnt go poo for a week and wasnt eating. After $600 and 2 days of vet giving her enemas she finally pooped and they sent me home with laxatone and aloe vera juice to give her everyday to make things go faster. They also did xrays and said there was alot of backep up poo but it didnt look like she has megacolon yet (fingers crossed she dosent still). So I've been giving her laxatone, aloe vera juice, Lax-A-Day, lactulose and even fibre supplements every day (twice a day even) for 6 days and she's still not normal. She's eating and peeing fine but wont poo and her belly is sooo full. She pooped like 3 tbsp on day 3, nowhere nearly as much as she ate. It wasn't hard pepples like it usually is for her (probably due to all the laxatives) so I would think she's not constipated. But its now day 6 and I dont know why she wont go. I've tried the whole pumpkin and tuna oil and even vaseline and none of them work. Honestly I dont know how a 10lb cat can get that much laxative and still not go. I'm taking her to the vet in 2 days but even they're confused why she's not going after basically overdosing on all those laxatives. She doesnt even try to poop, she just keeps peeing and meows alot. Anyone have any clues whats up?

Love4himies
February 24th, 2011, 03:58 PM
What are you feeding her? Is she getting extra water in her diet? Have you considered a raw diet with slightly lower bone content?

EvaFluffy
February 24th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Oh yes, her diet. She gets fed raw food (Nature's Variety medallions) with usually some wet tuna food (different brands) so that I can mix in meds and fibre in there. She also free feeds on Royal Canine hairball dry food but only eats like a few bites a day as she lives for wet foodl. She was actually pretty good for a few months when I gave her only the raw but then stubborn got bored of it so I started to have to add other wet foods to entice her to eat the raw. She's a VERY picky eater, like unbeleivably picky. I've spent tons of money just trying to find a food she likes.

quincymycat
February 24th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Are you mixing extra water into the food with the fibre? The fibre without the extra water can make things worse.

EvaFluffy
February 24th, 2011, 04:09 PM
just attached a pic of the cute stubborn one. She also drinks water probably once a day. She's never been fond of water but I've been adding the aloe juice to her wet so she should be hydrated. And she pees like 3 times a day so I dont think there's much problem there.

chico2
February 24th, 2011, 04:30 PM
OMG,what a beautiful girl:lovestruck:She must feel very uncomfortable not pooping,something is wrong,but I have no advice to give:shrug:
Could it be the raw medallions??
Did you try her on something like Wellness canned or Almo,mind you one of my cats got the runs from Almo,then again,maybe that's what she needs:cat:

sugarcatmom
February 24th, 2011, 05:00 PM
What a sweet cat!

Nature's Variety is known to have quite a high bone content, which can cause constipation in some cats. Given your kitty's issues, I'd be inclined to either make my own raw with less bone, or feed only canned for a while. Extra fibre, depending on the type, can also be a problem and many cats actually require LESS, not more. What are the fibre supplements? Have you ever tried slippery elm bark or marshmallow root powder? These are gentler than some of the insoluble fibre supplements and work to equalize moisture balance in the digestive tract.

You might want to stop feeding all kibble as well. Even though she doesn't eat much of it, it could still be contributing to an overall lack of moisture and an excess of fibre. Stick with wet food with at least 2 or 3 tbsp of extra water per meal.

I hope she starts pooping normally soon! :fingerscr

Love4himies
February 24th, 2011, 05:11 PM
What a sweet cat!

Nature's Variety is known to have quite a high bone content, which can cause constipation in some cats. Given your kitty's issues, I'd be inclined to either make my own raw with less bone, or feed only canned for a while. Extra fibre, depending on the type, can also be a problem and many cats actually require LESS, not more. What are the fibre supplements? Have you ever tried slippery elm bark or marshmallow root powder? These are gentler than some of the insoluble fibre supplements and work to equalize moisture balance in the digestive tract.

You might want to stop feeding all kibble as well. Even though she doesn't eat much of it, it could still be contributing to an overall lack of moisture and an excess of fibre. Stick with wet food with at least 2 or 3 tbsp of extra water per meal.

I hope she starts pooping normally soon! :fingerscr

It certainly does, SCM :thumbs up. When I was feeding my fosters NV, I had to add a bit of raw meat, otherwise they would be constipated.

BenMax
February 24th, 2011, 05:22 PM
As many know here I am going through the same issues with DD cat. I give can and water. It is an ordeal just to get the cat to eat.
She was on Laxtulose and I am now seeking an alternative.

EvaFluffy
February 24th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I had no idea about the NV having lots of bone. The vet did mention she sees white in her xray which could be bone. I cant give her ANY mushy/pate like food which is why NV is the only raw she'll eat cause its formed well. Hmmm perhaps I should take it away for now but she was doing so well before when she ate only the raw. I dont remember the name of the fibre supplements, I think its Vetasyl though.
I'm actually thinking of taking off to the store now to pick up Slippery Elm bark after researching it now (cant get any work done anyways have cat on the brain ;) I just dont get while none of the other stuff I've been giving her is making her want to go. And like I said her last small poop was well formed and not dry like usual so I was so happy because I thought finally she's got normal formed stool but now she's just not going anymore.

Love4himies
February 24th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Poor girl :(. She is a beauty. Raw is definitely best for your kitty, but for now she needs to get pooping :). Would you consider adding some raw chicken to the NV to decrease the bone ratio?

EvaFluffy
February 24th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Sure, but how would I do that? Just put a chunk of chicken breast in the mix? I cant grind it up or she wont touch it. I just went and bought evaporated milk, chicken baby food and Slippery Elm Bark so I'll add those to the mix and hope one of them works.

Chris21711
February 24th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I have been dealing with constipation issues with one of my guys for 6 years now....it has resulted in him suffering from Megacolon. I have gone the whole gamut trying different ways to help him along.

Reluctantly the Vet we use talked me into trying a new food for him and "it works". The ingredients leave little to be desired but it is working for him and rarely do I have to give him meds to help him along.

I still continue to give him canned food mixed with water.

http://www.royalcanin.ca/index.php/eng/Veterinary-Exclusive-Diets/Veterinary-Exclusive-Cat-Diets/Gastro-Intestinal-Fibre-Response-Dry

EvaFluffy
February 24th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. Its exactly what I'm afraid is happening here and I really dont want her to get Megacolon. I'm already worried she may have gotten it during these last few weeks because its like she doesnt have the urge to go poop even though she really should with all those laxatives. The food you use is the same brand I use just a different type. I'll check at the difference in ingredients between the 2 but mine doesnt eat much dry so I'm not sure if it would make much difference. For those 6 yrs was your cat on laxatives? Did any of them work?

Chris21711
February 24th, 2011, 07:24 PM
He was taking 2x5mg cisipride and 2x3ml lactulose daily...added fibre when the going was good. When he started getting constipated again I would drop the fibre. Some of the time I was adding slippery elm bark to his food. He ate a tiny bit of kibble daily but 80% canned mixed with quite a bit of water to a soupy consistency....At first I only added a small amount of water and increased it gradually.

There is obviously flavour enhancers in the kibble, he loves it and the other cats are only too ready to eat it....but they are not allowed :o

quincymycat
February 24th, 2011, 07:36 PM
He was taking 2x5mg cisipride and 2x3ml lactulose daily...added fibre when the going was good. When he started getting constipated again I would drop the fibre. Some of the time I was adding slippery elm bark to his food. He ate a tiny bit of kibble daily but 80% canned mixed with quite a bit of water to a soupy consistency....At first I only added a small amount of water and increased it gradually.

There is obviously flavour enhancers in the kibble, he loves it and the other cats are only too ready to eat it....but they are not allowed :o

I can vouch for that!

Both Chris and I are blessed with kitty constipation. I decided to try the same food with my guy that Chris tried and it does make a difference. I used the prescription fibre formulas before and they did little to help, but this new one is improved. Problem is in a multi kitty household, it is more dificult to get the guy who needs it to eat it and not the others. They all love the taste and will sneak up on the counter and empty the dish if I dont watch them.

Its worth a try. Whatever they put on it or in it....they all love the taste, but the ingredients arent top notch.

lindapalm
February 24th, 2011, 09:32 PM
One of our cats also has constipation problems, and has had to have double enemas for relief. I can usually tell when shes having problems cause she won't eat much, and will strain in the litter box until she throws up. We have to give her Lactulose and Laxatone, which usually takes up to four days to work. She eats Wellness, and we give her a small amount of Frohms Duck kibble for fiber. I know how you feel, they look so miserable when they're like that. Good Luck.

EvaFluffy
February 25th, 2011, 02:29 PM
So last night I tried to give the kitty the Slippery Elm Bark with tuna but she didnt want to eat anything. I then offered her evaporated milk which to my surprise she took a few laps at (she doesnt usually like milk). Well 5 min later she pooped. Now I dont know if this was due to the milk or if she went because she just couldnt hold any more since its been 3 days since she had a small BM. She had to strain enough that she was on her hind paws for leverage but what came out wasnt hard at all so I'm confused. It had more of a soft-serve ice cream consistency and had some white film on it which could be the milk (gross I know, sorry). So if she's not constipated why would she be straining so much? I wonder if she doesnt in fact have megacolon somewhat since she's obviously having trouble contracting her muscles enough to defacate.

Love4himies
February 25th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Sure, but how would I do that? Just put a chunk of chicken breast in the mix? I cant grind it up or she wont touch it. I just went and bought evaporated milk, chicken baby food and Slippery Elm Bark so I'll add those to the mix and hope one of them works.

Yup, that's what I did for my fosters. I now make my own homemade raw so I can control the bone content. Puddles has very high blood calcium and her and Rose aren't the best poopers.

Chris21711
February 25th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Maybe the use of Cisipride would be effective.

http://www.wedgewoodpetrx.com/learning-center/professional-monographs/cisapride-for-veterinary-use.html

EvaFluffy
February 28th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Vet put my girl on Cisipride and Lactulose because xrays showed she has the beginnings of megacolon. So sad, she's just 1 year old. She's still not pooping every day though so I dont know if its working. She's also REALLY depressed and just sleeps all day. Never seen her like this, maybe the meds are not sitting well with her.

sugarcatmom
February 28th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Vet put my girl on Cisipride and Lactulose because xrays showed she has the beginnings of megacolon. So sad, she's just 1 year old. She's still not pooping every day though so I dont know if its working. She's also REALLY depressed and just sleeps all day. Never seen her like this, maybe the meds are not sitting well with her.

Poor girl. That is a surprisingly young age to be coming down with megacolon. Do you have any holistic vets in your area that practice acupuncture? There is some evidence that acupuncture can be helpful when dealing with digestive issues like chronic constipation.

beckiandthetrio
March 2nd, 2011, 09:56 AM
Hi there,

I have been through this poop game more than I would have liked. My Panda:angel2: had megacolon for years!! It started out as slight constipation and I did end up bringing him to my vet a couple of times to have enemas. As the disease progressed though things got harder, no pun intended. I was able to come up with a regimen with my vets advice for him though.

Miralax, Miralax, Miralax.....it is what gave him a couple of extra years. We did have to up the dose ocassionally but it really did help. I think we started at 1/4tsp daily but you may want to check that dosage.

We did try Lactulose in the beginning but he hated it and it didnt seem to work anyhow.

Enemas, my vet taught me how to do them at home and that is what I did. Panda was very patient with me and was very good (some cats arent though). When I knew he was getting backed up (every 6mo or so) I would start the enemas daily for about 4-5 days. By then things started moving again and we were good to go. Just a disclaimer though, make sure you ask your vet about this. Cats can not have over the counter enemas!! Some are actually leathal to them.

Panda and I played the poop game for several years. Though, he later developed vaccine related fibrosarcoma which ended his life. Let me know if I can help you in any other way.

Becki