Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Just about to give birth

psyclop
February 24th, 2011, 10:32 AM

kathryn
February 24th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Hey there.. not too much you can do :shrug: Just be prepared for worst case scenarios. I would say you need to keep your male separate from her, as he may become aggressive or too curious and harm the kittens. You really need to just give her some safe places to go and let nature take its course. Just don't freak out over stillborns, deformities or any weird things that may come along. This isn't going to be a joyous occasion like a human baby being born, weird and sometimes not so lovely things can happen.

Please keep high quality food available to her as much as she wants. Wellness Kitten, Chicken Soup for Kitten are good dry foods on the cheaper end.. Acana and Orijen I believe are for all life stages. I use Fromm brand dry food, and they have kitten food in the Gold variety. Canned food is great too, as much as she would like to eat.. Wellness is good, Weruva, Merrick, BFF, Holistic Select, those are some brands that I use that are good.

Kittens will need to nurse for atleast 3-4 weeks. Then you can introduce them to a high quality wet food. They will usually make a mess of it. They can be rehomed at 8-12 weeks of age.

And please please pleasseee spay and neuter.. even if they are pregnant you can get it done at most SPCA places, because the last thing this world needs is more unwanted kitties :( And be sure to be very careful when rehoming- if you are able to receive some assistance from an SPCA or rescue group, ask them for help. It's ideal to spay/neuter kittens before adopting them out just to prevent more situations like this. Check vet references, do home visits.. because accidents just lead to more accidents and hence why so many cats are already being put to sleep in shelter.

Good luck, just keep your cool. The mom should take care of the rest.

Sib.HuskyMom
February 25th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Some great advice from Kathryn.
Does your vet know that she's pregnant? It would be a good idea to give them a heads up, and then keep the number on hand at your fingertips in case of any complications...

marko
February 26th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the tactful posts sib.huskymom and kathryn!

Love4himies
February 26th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the tactful posts sib.huskymom and kathryn!

Marko, we have been very nice to psyclop :angel: :D

Love4himies
February 26th, 2011, 08:14 AM
psyclop, there are many members on this forum that are heavily into rescue, they may be able to help you find a low cost spay/neuter in the Montreal area. I would be looking into it soon as there is usually a long waiting list.

Steri-Animal may be a place you can start with. I would plan to have her spayed about 12 weeks after she gives birth.

BenMax
February 26th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Also, contact the Dorathy Bond foundation. If you qualify then they may help. You must show that you are on a limited income. Normally they help the strays but you can always inquire. It would not hurt to ask.:)

psyclop
February 26th, 2011, 09:59 AM

Love4himies
February 26th, 2011, 10:04 AM
TY, but I will be alright I am restarting to work soon. I will get Cadie fix bye the
same vet that fixed Shine, till then she is not going outside.:thumbs up

And Marko, dont worry they have been really good to me.well they did not offer me coffee but that's ok :cry:
He worries because sometimes we get a bit evil with those who want to breed :evil: and add to the pet overpopulation :evil: :(

:laughing::laughing:

Glad to hear you will be starting work again :thumbs up. Cadie may go into heat as early as 5-6 weeks after giving birth. My Rose did, Sweet Pea went into heat when her kittens were about 12 weeks. (both were fosters, not mine when they got pregnant ;))

psyclop
February 26th, 2011, 10:09 AM

Love4himies
February 26th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I just read this to see if accidental matings are okay. LOL. Seems they are.

No, they are not! And had this pregnancy not been so close to term, I would have been very insistent that the kittens be aborted. And he promised to get her spayed ASAP.

kathryn
February 26th, 2011, 03:10 PM
No, they are not! And had this pregnancy not been so close to term, I would have been very insistent that the kittens be aborted. And he promised to get her spayed ASAP.

I feel the same way, BUT unlike MOST people that come in here, psyclop actually came here and was upfront about things and was open to opinions. Most of the people that come in here with pregnant pets are, you know.. kind of idiots lol. And being that I'm out of full time work as well, I can totally sympathize with the situation and that psyclop is willing to correct it as soon as possible.

Love4himies
February 26th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I feel the same way, BUT unlike MOST people that come in here, psyclop actually came here and was upfront about things and was open to opinions. Most of the people that come in here with pregnant pets are, you know.. kind of idiots lol. And being that I'm out of full time work as well, I can totally sympathize with the situation and that psyclop is willing to correct it as soon as possible.

Yes, exactly. It is his/her attitude. I think most people know my feelings towards breeding :o :evil: :p

Love4himies
February 26th, 2011, 03:15 PM
sure I believe that , you really sound EVIL :laughing::laughing:

I am if you breed on purpose :evil::evil::evil: :laughing:, which is why marko probably had to check on the posts in this thread :o :p

rainbow
February 26th, 2011, 03:21 PM
What a pretty girl Cadie is :lovestruck: ....how is she doing today? :goodvibes:

BenMax
February 26th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Oh yes...another place to try to sterilize is at Vanier College. Also, Amanda Glue has a clinic somewhere as well (excellent vet BTW) and I believe she does it at a lower cost. You will have to check on that.

Love4himies
February 26th, 2011, 03:26 PM
You do realize that now you have shown your photography expertise, we will be demanding pics of the wee ones, ummmmm, about every day or so :laughing:

rainbow
February 26th, 2011, 03:31 PM
You do realize that now you have shown your photography expertise, we will be demanding pics of the wee ones, ummmmm, about every day or so :laughing:

Another one of pretty Cadie would be nice while we're waiting too. :D

psyclop
February 26th, 2011, 03:39 PM

kathryn
February 26th, 2011, 03:41 PM
OH- Btw psyclop, when you are able to afford vet visits again, please please test her for FIV and leukemia before rehoming any of the kittens JUST to be safe. Because you aren't sure who daddy could be, it's just in everyones best interest if you just have the test done when you have her spayed or before you have her spayed, just to be on the safe side. FIV is more or less transmitted through nasty bite wounds, but FeLV can be transmitted through close contact (mating)

http://www.pets.ca/cats/encyclopedia/feline-immunodeficiency-virus/

Both have the possibility of being passed to kittens when they are born, so if there is even just the smallest risk that she came in contact with a positive cat when she ran out, then it's always a good idea to test.

The in office Snap test at most places will run $30-$60.

rainbow
February 26th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Yo dont even have to ask, you will get tire of my pic before I do:laughing::laughing:

:whistle: ....well, where are they? :D

psyclop
February 27th, 2011, 04:20 AM

Love4himies
February 27th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Well, she should be having them any day now. If she goes too much longer, you may want to take her into the vet. It is day 67 today, isn't it??

psyclop
February 27th, 2011, 02:25 PM

Goldfields
February 27th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I've never wanted to breed with a cat, but out of curiosity, do they have the same length gestation as a dog? 67 days would alarm me if it was a dog.

Love4himies
February 27th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I've never wanted to breed with a cat, but out of curiosity, do they have the same length gestation as a dog? 67 days would alarm me if it was a dog.

It is normally around 65 days. 67 would start to get me worried too.

Goldfields
February 27th, 2011, 06:30 PM
63 for dogs, up to 66 but no way would I let that happen. Fingers crossed then, and thanks. We've only ever had male cats, come to think of it, either given to us or caught as ferals.

OOPS! Oh dear, my husband is going to laugh when I tell him I forgot Pheobe. Pheobe might be miffed with me too. That's the Persian GIRL, spayed after her first heat.

rainbow
February 27th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Good luck with the photo contest, psyclop. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

I hope you have miscalculated Cadie's due date .....otherwise please call the vet tomorrow if she hasn't had them by tonight.

psyclop
February 27th, 2011, 08:30 PM

14+kitties
February 27th, 2011, 10:39 PM
so I let her go out again (forgot to say about that)

Ok, so this is where I now go :confused: ????

Love4himies
February 28th, 2011, 07:48 AM
So how many times did you let her out while she was in heat :frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:

14+kitties
February 28th, 2011, 08:33 AM
phyclop - if you are still around please take your cat to a vet so she can be checked. She is not even a year old yet and seeing as your dates are off she needs to be checked. I know you said you aren't working but in this case I would be doing everything I could to be getting her to the vet.

marko
February 28th, 2011, 09:16 AM
To those of you that tried to help the OP in a tactful way, thank you. :goodvibes:

For those of you that did not......know that you have not helped in any way and caused more harm than good.

This thread is dead and will be closed.