Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

proliferating dermal warts - remedy???

mdwazy
February 24th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Hi to all. I'm new to this website/forum....hoping someone can offer some suggestions for a remedy. My Toy Manchester Terrier developed dermal warts sometime ago (i.e. histologically identified by a veterinary pathologist as cutaneous squamous papilloma) and they have steadily increased in number......must be over 50 of them, both big and small. They do not seem to bother her (much) but they are unsightly as you can imagine. Some background: she is 13 this year, is generally in very good health, and is being fed primarily Orijen kibble (senior). She is a much loved family member (& former Canadian champion) so her appearance/ health/ well-being has always been our focus & primary concern. The vet has tried a few 'experimental' treatments (antibiotics, interferon) as there apparently is no tried-and-true cure - to no avail. I'm hoping that there may exist a holistic remedy, possibly something topical, or a supplement that works as an antioxidant or possibly to boost her immune system. Any suggestions is gratefully appreciated. D

Inthedoghouse
February 24th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Hello - I hadn't heard of this ailment so just checked a web site.... which suggested IF the warts bleed or get inflamed etc., that surgery could be considered. This seems a bit radical... I guess depends on how many there are etc. Would it be worthwhile to perhaps have maybe a few removed and see if it helps or if they just come back? I'm sure others on here have better suggestions, but as I say, just noticed this one..... best of luck.
J

mdwazy
February 24th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Thanks J for responding. I have seen some suggestion that surgical removal may stimulate immunity, with the operative word being 'may'. However, you are right in suggesting this is fairly radical. We've already indirectly covered this approach. We have already removed one (for initial biopsy) and more recently a patch of skin was removed which contained several growths (one was suspiciously different so the decision was to take a chunk of skin/growths for examination). So far, no change in growth habits that I can detect. If she was a long haired breed, visually this wouldn't look so horrendous, but since she is very short haired.........you get the picture. The only 'plus' is that the growths are black which somewhat blend in with her coat color, but they are still very obvious.

BenMax
February 24th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I have a foster shih zsu that also has these unsightly little growths. The vet has offered no remedies other than removal which I am not prepared to do.
He does have a compromised immune system and therefore very suseptable to many skin ailments.
I am sorry that I cannot give any other words other than I understand.
Hopefully someone here can provide some insight.

Shaykeija
February 24th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Miss Annie has about 25 of these beauty bumps.....I just learn to love them. ugly yes, but it's Annie......:shrug::lovestruck: