Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Still searching for cure for kitty ear gunk

kathryn
February 22nd, 2011, 09:14 PM
Hey all. So it's been a few years now and I've literally been trying /everything/ for Maxwell's nasty ear gunk.. and more and more lately I've noticed Socks is having an ear problem too. So far I have tried allergy free diets (but Maxwell steals people food so it's hard to say I am strict with his diet), commercial ear cleaners, self made natural ear cleaners- vinegar, almond oil etc.., Tresaderm, Synotic, other random ear cleaning stuff I've found at the shelter... Nada...

First, let's start with Max, 4 1/2 year old russian blue/grey DSH mix-
His ear gunk is nasty, thick black stuff. It does not have an odor to it but he will scratch at his ears if it builds up to much. It builds up VERY quickly. I clean his ears atleast once a week and have to wipe around his ears almost everyday to get the gunk. My vet said his ears overproduce ear wax as a result of having ear mites when he was a kitten. He said there's not really any way to cure it so to speak.. so I've been trying everything else just to TRY to do something. The almond oil is very effective at dislodging the crap, but beyond that I think it's adding too much moisture to his ears and making him uncomfortable. I need a way to dry his ears out but at the same time dislodge the crud and keep him from itching at his ears.

Socks 5-6 year old DLH tuxedo mix-
Okay, her ear gunk is totally different. Her ear gunk looks like some kind of nasty toe fungus. My vet has scooped it out and it doesn't have any smell and her ears are not inflamed, so he recommended cleaning her ears on a regular basis as well. Because she has long fur, it gets all stuck to her ear hair and is crusty and looks nasty. When you actually pull her ear back you see what is crusty around the outer parts, but when you scoop the goop out it's grey-ish and looks like something you'd find behind an old mans ears :o She doesn't usually itch at them, but I feel like it's 'clogging' her ears even more so than Maxwell's. It's so crusty and flaky but goopy at the same time.

Okay, so suggestions? :shrug: I'm willing to order commercial cleaners if you guys recommend them. I have 10 other kitties indoors and they are the only two with MAJOR issues with their ears. My one other cat gets a little extra ear wax that I scoop out every few weeks, but otherwise my cats ears are absolutely spotless and perfect if I do say so myself.

And if it helps any, I don't use clay litter anymore, as people have thought that might be it before. I switched to World's Best about 2 years ago. They have both had the ear issues prior.

sugarcatmom
February 22nd, 2011, 09:52 PM
Have you ever tried Zymox Otic (http://www.healthypets.com/zy1hyfr.html)?

kathryn
February 22nd, 2011, 10:22 PM
Have you ever tried Zymox Otic (http://www.healthypets.com/zy1hyfr.html)?

No, haven't heard of that one. If it's OTC in the US and you want me to try it, I'm open for anything at this point. I can't take the nasty gunk anymore.. I just had an ear cleaning session with them both earlier and scooped out soo much nastiness :yuck: I know not to jam q-tips down their ears of course and I apply some of the cleaner to a swab and just scoop the out parts of their ears and only the parts of the ear canal I can see.. and it's just nasssttyyyy

kathryn
February 24th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I ordered the Zymox after seeing many positive reviews online. It should be here in a few days :fingerscr If it works I'm personally going to fly up to see you SCM and give you a hug :p I am desperate to get rid of the gunk!