Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Toronto Pit bull Probe

Loki
September 21st, 2004, 05:17 PM
I read in the star today that the department of public health will be looking into the pit bull issue. The chair of the board is Councillor John Filion.
His email address is:
councillor_filion@toronto.ca

He claims that Torontonians are " demanding action."

I just sent him an email now.

lezzpezz
September 21st, 2004, 05:28 PM
Hi there. Could you please tell me where in the Star this article was? I am trying unsuccessfully to view it online. I have tried several key words to no avail. I assume this is in the Toronto Star, or is there another "Star" paper out there? Thank you!

Loki
September 21st, 2004, 05:41 PM
In the print version of the paper, it is on B2( in the GTA section).
It is in the bottom right hand corner. The title is :Health panel probes pit bull protocol."

Hope that helps.

Loki
September 21st, 2004, 05:56 PM
I couldn't find it online either, but this is it:

"
Health Panel probes pit bull protocol

Public health staff will conduct a two-month review to determine how to control dangerous dog breeds like pit bulls after a spate of summer attacks.
Councillor John Filion(Ward 23, Willowdale) , chair of the health board, said Toronto residents are demanding action on the issue. Staff recommendations will
come back to the board in November and city council could have toughned rules in place before the end of the year, Filion said.
"

Loki
September 21st, 2004, 06:26 PM
Oh yeah. Sorry.
It is from The Toronto Star, Metro Edition.

lezzpezz
September 21st, 2004, 06:36 PM
Thanks for sending that out. I am interested, as are many, as a lot of communities, mine included, are going through the same procedures simultaneously. Very interesting to see how things will go city by city, or provincially, for that matter! Thank you.

LL1
September 21st, 2004, 08:28 PM
Did anyone see the poll that was done?Brutal

Akeeter
September 27th, 2004, 10:00 AM
(statement by the mayor to that effect..)
I don't remember any big, publicized bite incidents here? All I remember from the recent past is killing kittens with garden hoes, throwing puppies against walls, starving horses, & houses full of ga-zillions of cats. Maybe the mayor has been reading the Star by mistake? :eek:

jelena
September 27th, 2004, 11:27 AM
i'm extremly saddened by the idea that someone can propose killing animals, and that masses of people don't stop to think about this, but rather follow blindly. i'm not a pit owner, i have a whippet and a min pin, i'm a huge dog lover. the ban has actually got me wishing to buy a pit and prove those living in my neighbourhood that they are wrong.
everyone that owns dogs know that they turn out the way people train them, how do we get this message across to people that have no clues about this, how do we tell them that dogs are like children, and if they're brought up in a criminal environment they're more likely to turn out "bad" themselves. i can't imagine what responsible pit owners are going throught right now knowing that the dog they have loved and took care of for years might have to be put down soon. a dog is part of the family, taking them away would be unimaginable.
what would happen if one day they decided that whippets are dangerous, whippets that are knows for their kind, and friendly nature. but what if those whippets are raised badly?
it makes me want to cry and scream at the stupidity of all those that don't sit for a second to think for themselves, people that are unable to form their own opinions.
can you imagine that i get dirty looks, and hurtful comments from people when i walk my two doggies (a tiny min pin and a skinny whippet). i have learned to ignore those people because you cannot reason with them. emailing mr. bryant won't turn out succesfull because it seems to me that they have already changed their minds. there needs to be done something else, something that'll turn their heads around, and get them realize it's not pits that are murderes, it is those that are proposing the ban!

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
September 27th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Sent him an email.

I am so tired of people targeting breeds when the real problem lies with these idiot owners and backyard breeders/puppymills.

Akeeter
September 27th, 2004, 01:34 PM
You do run into some who wave their breeding stock's aggro around like the Stars & Stripes on the 4th. of July, or the Maple Leaf on the 1st. So Stupid! You can't tell them they are giving their own breed & breeding program a black eye. You can't tell them either, that breeding for temperment isn't Dumbing Down their breed.

You can't tell them either that their Pet Quality puppies aren't not going to the same environment as a breeding kennel. (I don't have 8 ft. fences to keep my dogs from killing each other or my neighbour's pets. Thank goodness i don't need to.) And you can't tell them that S/N before maturity will solve a lot of problems for the pet owner. They want the dogs kept intact until age 3 years +, even though they are not breeding stock & have a S/N requirement on them! (For Health reasons, ya know!)

If they don't get with the (breeding for temperment) program, they are going to have to get with BSL, sooner or later. :mad:

chico2
September 27th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Jelena,first of all I love whippets and mini-Pinchers..but in my pet-food store,they keep two in store-cats.
One day a customer came in with his Whippet off leash and he went straight for the cat and nearly killed it.She had 40 stiches but luckily survived,had it been a larger dog the cat would probably not have survived.
Now the store owner put up a big sign,Dogs on leash only allowed,cats on the premises!

pitbulliest
September 27th, 2004, 08:03 PM
You do run into some who wave their breeding stock's aggro around like the Stars & Stripes on the 4th. of July, or the Maple Leaf on the 1st. So Stupid! You can't tell them they are giving their own breed & breeding program a black eye. You can't tell them either, that breeding for temperment isn't Dumbing Down their breed.

You can't tell them either that their Pet Quality puppies aren't not going to the same environment as a breeding kennel. (I don't have 8 ft. fences to keep my dogs from killing each other or my neighbour's pets. Thank goodness i don't need to.) And you can't tell them that S/N before maturity will solve a lot of problems for the pet owner. They want the dogs kept intact until age 3 years +, even though they are not breeding stock & have a S/N requirement on them! (For Health reasons, ya know!)

If they don't get with the (breeding for temperment) program, they are going to have to get with BSL, sooner or later. :mad:

The sad thing about the people (breeders) you are mentioning, is that all of these people aren't even responsible breeders to begin with, and probably shouldn't even be owning dogs. There are only a few breeders in North American (Canada or the U.S), that I consider to be truely reputable and responsible breeders, and completely worthy of breeding American Pit Bull Terriers....
Other than that...for crying out loud, get your dogs spayed and neutered. Leave the breeding to the people that know whats best for these dogs and aren't in it just for the money!

jelena
September 27th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Jelena,first of all I love whippets and mini-Pinchers..but in my pet-food store,they keep two in store-cats.
One day a customer came in with his Whippet off leash and he went straight for the cat and nearly killed it.She had 40 stiches but luckily survived,had it been a larger dog the cat would probably not have survived.
Now the store owner put up a big sign,Dogs on leash only allowed,cats on the premises!
this just proves that any dog breed (even the ones considered a friendly breed) in wrong hands will turn out to be viscious animals. it is dog owners that shape their dogs, not the breed. it is not dogs that need training, but people.

Spurby
September 28th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Most likely, they will grandfather all exsiting pit bulls, but they will have to be muzzled in public, and get insurance.

There is no way to determine what is a pit bull, since there is no breed called a pit bull, the breeds they will ban is the American pit bull terrier, the American Staffordshire terrier, and the Staffordshire bull terrier. I far as i know, there is no concrete DNA test to determine a dogs breed.

Pit bull crosses will be included in the ban. I would love to see how they do that.

Our rights? How about our rights to be innocent until proven guilty? Many pit bulls have never biten, never will, yet they will suffer.

The pit bulls left in the shelter systems will be PTS. Any pit bull or mix that enters the shelter will also be automactically PTS as well. And for frustrated, PTS means KILLED. Many owners will surrender their pits as well, for various reasons, they all will be PTS as well. Talk about a death sentence.

I've some questions about this entire issue that politicians wouldn't answer:

1. If a pitbull ban goes into effect, those who own pitbulls will have to do what with their dogs?

2. How does anyone determine what a pitbull is? Genetic testing?

3. What of pitbull crosses?

Also, I see constitutional issues with BSL, not sure which, but I know they exist. :)

krdahmer
September 28th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Hmmm...I am by no means a smartie when it comes to the law, but are pets not still considered "property" according to the law? And if so, if someone was to take said property and say dispose of it (PTS), would that not allow those owners to sue someone for destruction of property? Or theft?
Hell, I'd like to see a day where if someone was to harm or kill an animal, that they can be charged as they would if it was a person. You kill someone's beloved family pet, a MEMBER of that family...you get charged with murder...and go to JAIL. Not pay a measly fine and go about your business!