Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cutting a cats hair

Ozzie
February 20th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I have a long-hair cat [Ricky] with skin problems on his back behind his front shoulders.
I want to keep the fur short so I can keep an eye on it.
I tried a battery clipper which works well on me but not on Ricky.
The plug in clipper is too loud .
I looked on Amazon but the reviews were mixed for any brands.
So what kind should I buy?

PS I have three cats #1 has long legs and long thin body like a Siamese.
#2 is normal DSH
Ricky has short legs and a round, short body like a bulldog.
His legs are spaced widely apart like a bulldog.
He has a normal nose like #2
What breed is he??:)

rainbow
February 20th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Do you know what is causing Ricky's skin problem? Did you take him to the vet? It can very likely be food related ....what are you feeding him?

I don't know anything about shaving a cat and would have a groomer do it but I'm sure some of the cat people here will be able to help you.

As far as Ricky's breed .....can you post a pic for us?

Ozzie
February 20th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I just got him. He had lots of fur knots. I had him cut in a lion cut. Cost more than $100. So I will do it from now on, if I can find the right equipment. :)

kathryn
February 20th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I just got him. He had lots of fur knots. I had him cut in a lion cut. Cost more than $100. So I will do it from now on, if I can find the right equipment. :)

If you still have all your body parts after that, let me know :p
I give some of my cats baths and stuff on a regular basis, but my cats are a bad example of things because they are very weird.

The one time I groomed my cat, I had a bit of help from my old friend Telazol :laughing: So I kind of cheated.

I've groomed a few shelter animals over the years.. most of them were knocked out (thankfully), and of the ones that were awake, I was super nervous each time. I really wouldn't recommend grooming your own pets if you aren't sure of what you are doing.

Oster is good brand, but the problem is you have a choice of the battery operated clippers that are quite but die quickly and aren't very hardy. Then you have the plug in ones that work great, but they are loud and noisy and very sharp so if you mess up and knick your cat you are going to be in a world of trouble.

Ozzie
February 21st, 2011, 10:23 AM
I made three pics
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab298/epilamer/RICKY/RICKY004.jpg
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab298/epilamer/RICKY/RICKY003.jpg
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab298/epilamer/RICKY/RICKY005.jpg

14+kitties
February 21st, 2011, 11:26 AM
Awww he's cute!! :cloud9: Would be much cuter with a full body of fur though.
I would look into rainbow's suggestion of his food being the culprit for the dry skin. What diet is he on? Grain free, corn free, byproduct free? Is it canned or dry? Dry is never a good diet for cats IMO. It causes many many health issues.
A great website to read is www.catinfo.org. It explains why cats need their fluids with their food, not beside it, and so much more. If you can take care of his diet then I doubt you will need to worry about shaving him in the future. :shrug:
As someone who has cut dog fur and one unhappy kitty - it isn't easy. They will be nipping, scratching, etc to get away unless you can give them the right atmosphere and conditions to do the job properly. It is so easy to nick their delicate skin too. That causes it's own problems.
Good luck whatever you decide. :fingerscr

chico2
February 21st, 2011, 11:48 AM
Awww poor little guy:laughing:I can see what you mean,he is kind of stocky,but I bet with all his hair back he'll be beautiful.

We had to trim our kitties(white medium hair) hair around his bum when he had the runs and strangely enough he was ok with it.

Hubby used a human mustache /beard-trimmer,it works on batteries,very quiet.
Of course,that's not a shave just a trimming.

kathryn
February 21st, 2011, 12:17 PM
Other grooming supplies, if you are interested. I like this company

http://www.earthbath.com/cats.php

If you need wipes and things to help keep his skin from getting dried out. A good diet will help too

Ozzie
February 21st, 2011, 12:36 PM
Quote: "I would look into rainbow's suggestion of his food being the culprit for the dry skin. What diet is he on? Grain free, corn free, byproduct free? Is it canned or dry? Dry is never a good diet for cats IMO. It causes many many health issues."

He does not have dry skin. What you see is where he licked all the fur off so the fur doesnt grow back.

Since I got him, he has been on wet food like my other two cats.I have NO dry food in my house except for freeze dried chicken for treats.
He has lost two pounds so far and is happy.
So what breed is he?? :)

14+kitties
February 21st, 2011, 12:42 PM
He does not have dry skin. What you see is where he licked all the fur off so the fur doesnt grow back.

Since I got him, he has been on wet food like my other two cats.I have NO dry food in my house except for freeze dried chicken for treats.
He has lost two pounds so far and is happy.
So what breed is he?? :)

Oops, sorry. :o I guess I assumed skin problems were dry skin. :shrug:

Ozzie
February 21st, 2011, 06:42 PM
Thank you all for saying he is a pretty cat. Actually he takes some getting used to- "only a mother could love" .I was told he was 5 years old but he looks older.

I think he was kicked out of the house because he had bad teeth. There wasnt much of him left when Rescue found him a year ago.

So what breed is he? Bullcat?
I need some help choosing the right clippers. Anybody use manual hand clippers?

kathryn
February 21st, 2011, 11:11 PM
So what breed is he? Bullcat?

Your black cat? Looks like a regular domestic long hair :shrug: Sorry, not of much help, but look at it this way, he's one of a kind no matter what he is :lovestruck: Some domestic cats (mutts) can have the looks or personality of a pure bred cat, like my cat Maxwell who fits the description and personality exactly of a Russian Blue, but technically he is just a grey domestic short hair or a "russian blue mix" at best.

Ozzie
February 22nd, 2011, 09:48 PM
I found a two speed Oster. When do you use second gear?
Thinking of getting a wand with a razor blade in it. I had one in the 60's.:)

kathryn
February 22nd, 2011, 10:45 PM
I found a two speed Oster. When do you use second gear?
Thinking of getting a wand with a razor blade in it. I had one in the 60's.:)

The second gear that goes faster? I'd take it slow if I were you... the second or higher gear I would only use for really bad mats or knots that you can't remove with a brush or comb. You should be fine on the slow speed for now, as the higher one is more likely to cause a nasty cut if you get too close to the skin.

And is this what you are talking about?
http://evidiot.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/straightrazor.jpg
If so, I have no idea why on earth you would need one for a cat :confused: You aren't literally supposed to SHAVE a cat.... I really hope you read some guides online for how to safely groom a cat.. it's still not something I'd recommend for a home project. I have many cat loving friends and I don't know a single one of them brave enough to take a cat on with clippers. I hope your kitty is tolerant.

Ozzie
February 22nd, 2011, 11:03 PM
Here is what I'm looking at.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160547840561&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
And
http://cgi.ebay.ca/SUPER-HAIR-CUTTING-COMB-RAZOR-EXTRA-BLADES-/370407111292?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563dfbfa7c

"I hope your kitty is tolerant. " My cat loves me. :)

" I really hope you read some guides online for how to safely groom a cat" That why I am ashing on this forum. :)

Ozzie
February 24th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Kathryn!!!
You must have extremely good hand -eye co-ordination!!
WOW never heard of shaving a cat with a straight razor!!

You probably know this already, Use tuna flavoured shaving cream, then it is a win for the cat and you!!:thumbs up:thumbs up