Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question regarding Vet ethics

Rockblind
February 20th, 2011, 06:23 AM
My daughter is adopting a rescue dog, they scheduled her to take the dog to the Vet yesterday, they asked if she was spayed or not, my daughter said she did not know, they said ok we will spay her, My question is can they tell if the dog has been or not, or do they have to perform the operation to see? Next question, is the Vet takes 3 viles out of the fridge, takes the needle and extracts from 2, gives the dog the needle, then uses the same needle and extracts from the 3rd vile and injects the dog. not knowing all the facts, but does each vile used for one dog only or are some viles used for multiple dogs?

Thanks,

quincymycat
February 20th, 2011, 08:32 AM
A vet should be able to tell if a female has been spayed by the incision scar left by the surgery. It may require the shaving of the fur only.
I had a female rescue cat (feral, so palpating and shaving without sedation was not really an option at the time) but I was told that they would know when she was prepped or shaved prior to surgery. As it turned out, she went into her first heat at home prior to the surgery so the question was answered for me.
As for the injections, this I cannot address. Personal experience with my cats was that the serums were single use vials...2 could be put into one syringe...as long as the meds are compatatible to be mixed together, then, a second injection, with another needle and syringe was used for the second immunization...so 2 needles, 3 single use vials. The labels from the vials are then attached to the pet's personal medical record to record batch numbers of the serums.
As I said, this is only personal experience.
If you have questions, you should address them to your vet as it is important to have a good open relationship with your pet's care giver. I cant see any reason a vet would not expalin what he/she is doing if you have questions. :pawprint:

kathryn
February 20th, 2011, 08:53 AM
My daughter is adopting a rescue dog, they scheduled her to take the dog to the Vet yesterday, they asked if she was spayed or not, my daughter said she did not know, they said ok we will spay her, My question is can they tell if the dog has been or not, or do they have to perform the operation to see? Next question, is the Vet takes 3 viles out of the fridge, takes the needle and extracts from 2, gives the dog the needle, then uses the same needle and extracts from the 3rd vile and injects the dog. not knowing all the facts, but does each vile used for one dog only or are some viles used for multiple dogs?

Thanks,

They should shave the abdomen and put scrub or alcohol on the skin to see if they see a scar. Sometimes you can't always tell, so occasionally they may need to open the dog up regardless.

As for the second question, I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but I will try to answer.

For NEEDLES, which are separate entities from SYRINGES, are one time use only. Once the needle touches something that is not sterile, it is no longer sterile. For vials, you can leave the needle in the vial for multiple uses as long as you don't pull the needle out and put it in a dogs arm and then stick it back into the vial for more uses. Then the vial is contaminated, and should either be used on the same animal or should be discarded.

So if you saw the vet use the same needle that was in your dogs arm, to stick it into another vial to put into ANOTHER dogs arms, then that is not acceptable. But if all three vials were used on your dog but the needle was not changed, then as long as all three vials were disposed of and the needle didn't touch anything dirty, that's normal.

Sometimes you don't always see people change needles though, so it's tough to call on this one. You can swap a needle off a syringe quite quickly without anyone noticing.