Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Proud of this pet store!

Helene4
February 19th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Finally! One of the pet stores in a nearby town has stopped selling cats and dogs :clap: They decided to refer people to the local SPCA. They have a photo album on the counter with pics of the animals staying at the shelter and encourage customers to go there to adopt.

If someone really wants a specific breed, they will give the name of a breeder where the buyer can go see for himself the pups/kittens as well as the parents. That way, people don't buy impulsively just because the dog or cat is just too cute... They get to see that the cute little puppy sometimes turns into a very big dog.

I told the employee I was very happy to hear this and see the empty cages where the dogs and cats used to be. She told me her own cat and dog were adopted from the SPCA and that her cat is the best cat in the world. I objected right away and told her she was wrong because I have the best cats in the world :cloud9: (also adopted from the SPCA) We had a good laugh :laughing:

I hope other pet stores in my area, and elsewhere, follow this new trend :fingerscr

Tundra_Queen
February 19th, 2011, 04:32 PM
That is wonderful!! Good for the pet store owner for doing this! :thumbs up

shirley1011
February 19th, 2011, 05:49 PM
It's too bad more pet stores couldn't get a book of dogs waiting for adoption in their area...What a great idea!

BenMax
February 19th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Looks good on them.:thumbs up
Wouldn't it be great to see a trend rather than an exception?

hedgiemama
February 19th, 2011, 06:46 PM
thats great news ! maybe some pet stores around here will do that. we have one store tat stopped selling puppies and only sell kittens, but maybe someday they will starting referring people to the SPCA !:thumbs up

Goldfields
February 19th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Helene4, you may have started something here with your post because even down here in Oz I'll be asking the owners of the pet/produce store here to do that. Their own GSD was adopted so I reckon they will probably agree. Haven't seen pups for sale there for a long time now. Photo's of dogs and cats picked up by the Ranger are always in our local paper each week anyway but they could at least cut the page out and put it on their board.

Love4himies
February 19th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Could they maybe move some of the SPCA kitties into the empty cages? That"s what my local Global does and they are VERY successful at getting kitties adopted.

Helene4
February 24th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Love4himies, that's a great idea! Who knows, it might happen one day but the SPCA here invested a few years back to build a "kitten room". Instead of being in individual cages, the kittens are all together in one room filled with toys, cat trees, cat hammocks, etc. I think only the adult cats are in cages in another room. When I adopted Kira and Jadzia nearly 7 years ago all the cats had their own cage and we could only handle one cat at a time.

I go to the SPCA to get Orijen for the dogs and I can see through the window behind the counter that those kittens are having a ball, whether they are playing or sleeping :) They look happy, not stessed or caged up. The SPCA also advertises in the new local paper every week. I hope the adoption rate goes way up! :thumbs up