Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Guinea Rescue

g-girl
September 21st, 2004, 04:02 PM
I'm not really sure what forum to post this in...

Anyways, my boyf and I want to start a Guinea Rescue in our region. Does anyone know how I might go about getting recognition as a rescue organization?

thanks!

Lucky Rescue
September 21st, 2004, 06:56 PM
I assume you mean Guinea Pigs? First start getting some cages and make sure you have the funds for food, litter, vet care, etc. Make sure you know all about Guinea Pigs - their needs, behaviors, lifespan - all of it.

Set up a website. Don't worry, people who want to dump their pets will find you!! I'm sure you'll have your hands full in no time. Just don't take in more animals than you can properly care for.

Where are you? There is a Guinea pig rescue in my area, and I could put you in touch with them if you need more information.

Shannon83
September 21st, 2004, 07:07 PM
http://www.geocities.com/jiggley_piggley/

g-girl
September 22nd, 2004, 07:43 AM
thanks for the tips lucky rescue

is it legitimate for me just to set up a rescue and call myself a rescue? i'm concerned about the legal reprecussions of that.

i'm in Waterloo

Lucky Rescue
September 22nd, 2004, 10:05 AM
Unfortunately, there is no regulation of rescues, and anyone may call themselves that, as you can see by our discussions here of fraudulent rescues.

If you want to be registered with government as a non-profit organization, that's different.

As long as you do it right, there should be no complaints.:)

Oh, also - make sure you always charge an adoption fee, check out potential adopters, get references, etc. and get the fee in cash and give receipts!:)

Good luck!

g-girl
September 22nd, 2004, 11:00 AM
super thanks!!

downloader
September 22nd, 2004, 07:31 PM
Call up the spca and tell them you started the rescue. They will send you all the pigglets that are being given up.

www.bluewhippet.net