Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog barking in the middle of the night

Milopoo
February 16th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Hello,

How do I stop my dog from barking in the middle of the night. He would bark until I bring him on to the bed. This is a problem since its disrupting my sleep. I walk him twice a day for 30m each time. I try to play with him as much as possible. Recently hes been needing constant attention and he would either bark or whine when we are not with him. ie I'm watching tv on my coutch and he wants me to play with him on the floor. How do I get him to be more independant? My dog is a cockapoo and he's 1.5 yrs old. Your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

hedgiemama
February 16th, 2011, 11:35 AM
it may be annoying, but you may have to let him bark it out.

Since you get up and bring him to bed every time he barks he is learning that if he barks he will get what he wants.

Is it possible to amp up the walks a bit, maybe make them 45 mins each or make them more exciting i.e. have him chase you through the woods and find you behind trees or take him to a dog park so he can run all he wants and burn off lots of energy.

When you notice him being quiet throughout the day give him some praise and a pat, that is showing him that he gets rewarded for quiet calm behavior.

Mental stimulation is important for him too. do you do and basic training? and if he has those all down pat, start teaching him "party tricks" like rollover, play dead and things along those lines. Mental stimulation can be very tiring for dogs too, and mixed with the physical exercise e should be pretty tired by the end of the night.

Im sure someone else will be along soon to offer you some more tips.

BenMax
February 16th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Hello,

How do I stop my dog from barking in the middle of the night. He would bark until I bring him on to the bed. This is a problem since its disrupting my sleep. I walk him twice a day for 30m each time. I try to play with him as much as possible. Recently hes been needing constant attention and he would either bark or whine when we are not with him. ie I'm watching tv on my coutch and he wants me to play with him on the floor. How do I get him to be more independant? My dog is a cockapoo and he's 1.5 yrs old. Your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

This is a start to (if not actually already evident) of separation anxiety.
Tuff love: Let him whine and bark for a few nights. Do not give in. Think of a child having a tantrum. Do you nurture the tandrum?

Floppy Dog
February 16th, 2011, 06:44 PM
For the mental stimulation part, have you tried any "hide & seek" games? Our Cocker Spaniel can demonstrate the same behaviors as your dog from time to time. We ususally tire her out mentally after her evening walk and before bed by letting her find the ball (eg. up DH's pant leg, under the couch pillows, behind our back). If you have children or a willing spouse/partner, you can teach your dog to find them by scent alone.

Lastly, try putting a piece of your clothing with your scent on it (eg. a T-shirt you've worn for 2 days, a pair of socks, etc.) where you want your dog to sleep. The scent of you on his/her bedding will be calming and comforting. This is what we do with our dog when we sleep somewhere strange (hotel, parent's house, etc.), works like a charm.

loncho
February 16th, 2011, 08:29 PM
My dog used to bark a lot at night, and it was very annoying as it woke us up all the time and we couldn't have a decent sleep. It was triggered by any noise outside the house (someone walking or talking, cars, people getting their recycling out, etc).

Solution? I found this in another website and worked like a charm:

Get a squirt gun or any bottle you can use to spray water (it has to SQUIRT, a soft mist won't do anything)... a water pistol or something like that.

Fill it 1/3 vinegar and 2/3 water.

Every time the dog barks, squirt his/her face (do not aim at the eyes) and say something like "quiet" The dog will hate it, but will stop barking, then you say "good quiet" show you're happy with the change of behaviour, give him the occasional treat or pet him a bit and go back to bed.

Do this EVERY TIME your dog barks, no matter if you're having lunch or if you're sleeping and it's 3 AM, you have to be consistent and patient... then it's up to your dog how long this will take, but my dog took a week or so, but she finally learned. She still barks sometimes during the day, it's a work in progress, but at night she doesn't bark anymore and sleeps soundly.

Hope it helps!