Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Preparing the home

Emie&Mila
February 15th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I was looking for some tips and tricks to preparing a room for my foster pets. To help keep it as clean as possible and to prevent damage. Thanks, Im looking for any helpful tips and tricks!:pawprint:

doggy lover
February 15th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Take out anything that can be chewed or torn...:laughing: your gonna have fun enjoy

mastifflover
February 16th, 2011, 11:19 AM
A good thing to do is get down on the ground and look around and see all the things that will be in the dogs view then work your way up.

Emie&Mila
February 16th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the tips I will be getting him or her Saturday after spending a few hours helping to get them adopted and getting to know them. The Foster leader has a few in mind (if that dont get adopted hopefully they will) for me to choose from based on her home visit. I thought about getting a baby gate to help keep it seperated from my other dog for now. Do you think that would be a good idea or would it just bother them both since they could still see eachother? I have a room I am going to designate to be its room. Instead of shutting the door though I thought about putting a gate there. I also thought about putting down protective plastic on the carpet. It sticks to it and prevents water or any liquid from getting to it. I used it with cats I had in that room once and it worked great. I also thought about getting a tarp to help with protecting the bed thats in there (I know having a bed in the room isnt really a good idea but I dont really have another option.) Would covers for the electrical outlets be good to get also? I have a dog now and she doesnt bother them but I thought maybe just as a procaution. :confused:

Melinda
February 16th, 2011, 12:03 PM
electrical covers are a great idea, but the plastic.....the pup/dog could chew and swallow it, the baby gate is how I keep the fosters apart from my dog for the first couple of days, and when mine goes outside to play I let the foster have the run of the house....

Emie&Mila
February 16th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I will keep that in mind thanks!

Melinda
February 16th, 2011, 03:15 PM
oh and I'd also make sure you have a good cleaner in case it has an accident, you want to make sure you get all the smell out so he/she won't smell their spot and go again, a good one is SPOT SHOT , you can buy it at home depot, I've heard its really good.

Emie&Mila
February 16th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I actually dont have a Home Depot around where I live the closest one is like an hour away. I use resolve though, it gets then stain out of the carpet but I dont like the smell of it. I keep it on hand because of my pup she seems to be potty trained now but I always keep it just incase.