Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Thorin has a mass on his lip

Rgeurts
February 13th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Hey guys :)

We noticed a mass on Thorins lip a few days ago. I didn't think much of it when I first noticed. I thought it was a pappiloma, which would make sense because Nookie had them. But it hasn't changed or turned into a cauliflower. It isn't bumpy at all. In fact, it's very smooth and hard. I've looked at a lot of pictures and am now a bit scared. I've attached a picture. If anyone has dealt with one of these, please let me know! I can't take him to Dr. Marsden as he is out of town for a month now and our regular vet is gone until Feb. 22. pbpatti was kind enough to give me her vets name/number, so I will be calling there tomorrow to see if we can get him in asap. Thanks all!

luckypenny
February 13th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I'm hoping it's just the papilloma virus, Rgeurts :fingerscr. It may not change or get any worse as Thorin's immune system is much stronger than Nookie's.

Ok, you guys really deserve a break right about now, darnit :grouphug:.

Sylvie
February 13th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I agree with LP, you do deserve a break that is why it cannot be anything serious. :grouphug:

I'll be looking for an update tomorrow. :thumbs up

Chris21711
February 13th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Ok, you guys really deserve a break right about now, darnit :grouphug:.

That's for sure, if it's not one thing it is something else :(

You must be mentally exhausted :grouphug:

Winston
February 13th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I am hoping and thinking it is the papilloma?? what was the course of treatment for Nookie? if it was a natural approach than I think I would try that first? its not life threatening at the moment and I think you just need a break too! I think I would have had a nervous breakdown by now!! :D just kidding but you need to catch a break!!

Rgeurts
February 13th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Thanks all! I am exhausted, but it's ok, they're worth it :cloud9::lovestruck:
I just hope it's nothing serious, but I'm such a worry wart. I hope it is just a pappiloma as well, but it looks very different. It has a separation and a vein going through it :shrug:

For Nookie, there was no treatment. It was just a matter of getting him off the immuno-suppresive drugs so his immune system would kick in. I will update once we see the vet! And thank you all again :)

chico2
February 13th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Robyn,Everyone here knows better than me,but to me it looks like Baileys"warts"except she never had any on her lip,they too have tiny veins.
You might just as well bring a cot to sleep on and some clothes to the vet office:shrug:the way things are going:grouphug:

14+kitties
February 13th, 2011, 05:21 PM
:shrug: Nothin' here but :goodvibes::fingerscr:pray:.

rainbow
February 13th, 2011, 06:45 PM
<sigh> .....as if you don't have enough to worry about :grouphug: .....I hope it's just a papilloma virus. :fingerscr

Accourding to this website (http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Dog-Health-Center/Skin-Disorders/Warts.aspx) some of them can be smooth ....

Canine papillomas can appear anywhere on a dog’s body and usually look like tiny cauliflowers, but occasionally they are smooth.

Rgeurts
February 13th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Thanks guys! I really pray it is just a papilloma. I didn't know they could be smooth :shrug:

But that eased my mind a little, thank you :grouphug: :grouphug:

SuperWanda
February 15th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Timber had what the vet thought was a wart on her face a few years agoand it was smooth and had, what looked like, fine blood vessels running through it. It would always bleed and we were told that it might just disappear but we could have it removed if we wanted. Eventually it did go away on it's own. I know what it's like to worry about lumps and bumps - I hope it's nothing!

pbpatti
February 16th, 2011, 10:54 AM
:fingerscr it will only be a wart and nothing serious...:goodvibes: Soon, no more vet visits 'cause your doggies are going to soooo healthy. patti

Rgeurts
February 16th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks guys!! I sure hope so. I can't get him in until Friday, so we should know more then :)

Sylvie
February 16th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I hate waiting :wall::wall:

I am sure it is nothing, you deserve a break, not the mention the furkids.

Rgeurts
February 16th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I hate waiting :wall::wall:

I am sure it is nothing, you deserve a break, not the mention the furkids.
You and I both!! :frustrated: :yell:
They need the break, poor guys. I'm sure it's nothing serious, but I'm just SO paranoid these days. It kills me :(

I hope you get your answer soon :grouphug:

chico2
February 16th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Robyn,I had pics of Baileys warts,they look just like that,with tiny veins,hers though are still there,it looks ugly,but apparently no danger.:shrug:
I think I deleted the pics,but I'll check...

Rgeurts
February 16th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Robyn,I had pics of Baileys warts,they look just like that,with tiny veins,hers though are still there,it looks ugly,but apparently no danger.:shrug:
I think I deleted the pics,but I'll check...

Thank you Chico!!! Anything to ease my mind would be wonderful at this point. Waiting until Friday is killing me :yell:

chico2
February 17th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Sorry Robyn,I must have deleted the pic..
Bailey at the moment has about 3 of those things,2 on her body and one above her eye.
:fingerscrwith Thorin

hazelrunpack
February 20th, 2011, 08:19 PM
What did the vet say, Robyn? :goodvibes:

Rgeurts
February 21st, 2011, 01:39 PM
Hi guys, sorry for the late reply! The mass is a Papilloma :D
He actually has a second small one inside now.
But I'm glad he went to the vet. I decided to have a urinalysis because Nanook has another bladder infection and seems very fixated on Thorins "parts" as well as his own. Thorin has another bladder infection as well. The vets keep telling us it's most likely prostate and possibly prostate cancer because "male dogs do not get bladder infections". I've heard that SO many times in the past couple of months, yet... I have 2 male dogs both with 2 bladder infections each :shrug: :confused:

I don't get it. If it's that rare, why do both of mine have them? I asked if maybe Nookie was licking himself and giving it to Thorin because he doesn't have the good bacteria in his mouth to fight it off like most dogs, but the vet I went to said no :yell: :wall:

Poor little Nookie's was so bad he started peeing blood Friday evening and several small clots were coming out, so they have put him on another antibiotic. I just hope they both get over them soon with no serious ill tummy effects. I do have to take Thorin back in for a blood test though because it's the second time his urine was dilute. I'll be :pray:ing that it's due to increased water intake caused from the infection.

free
February 21st, 2011, 03:29 PM
robyn hope both dogs get better soon .
last year beau had a uti ecoli was found vet here said it is not unusual. the first set of antibiotics didn't work so they put him on a month of 1 type with another type for 10 days and 20 days of another and that did the trick sorry don't remember what was given, but i think i did have a post about them.
the vet here said he did research what was the best way to handle it

Rgeurts
February 21st, 2011, 03:44 PM
robyn hope both dogs get better soon .
last year beau had a uti ecoli was found vet here said it is not unusual. the first set of antibiotics didn't work so they put him on a month of 1 type with another type for 10 days and 20 days of another and that did the trick sorry don't remember what was given, but i think i did have a post about them.
the vet here said he did research what was the best way to handle it

Thank you so much for that info free :grouphug:
With them telling me it's unusual, rare, must be caused by prostate infection/cancer, I've just been so freaked out because both of my boys are getting them twice now in 2 months. Maybe they just weren't on antibiotics long enough :shrug:
Thorin and Nookies were both e-coli and we just did another culture/sensitivity for Thorin on Friday. Nookies was susceptible to all antibiotics and I'm hoping Thorins will be too. Thorin has colitis and the last time he had a bought he ended up with mild pancreatitis. I'm hoping they can switch him to something less irritating on his tummy.

Love4himies
February 21st, 2011, 03:48 PM
Glad to hear the mass was only papilloma and nothing more serious.

chico2
February 21st, 2011, 04:12 PM
Awww Robyn,will it ever end:(
Still I am glad at least Thorins growth was nothing serious:dog:

Sylvie
February 22nd, 2011, 08:16 AM
Darn, it never ends for you. :(

Your boys are so lucky to have you, so many people would just give up. :eek:

I'm sending :pray: that this too will pass.

Thinking about you and the boys.

BMDLuver
February 22nd, 2011, 08:41 AM
oh I'm glad it is just papilloma! Probably needs an immune system boost.

hazelrunpack
February 23rd, 2011, 03:19 PM
Glad to hear it was just a papilloma.

And as for the bladder infections, although we now do check with the sterile sample from the bladder, just in case, we often have had UTIs in our males. It's not as common as in females, but it's not unheard of in males as well. It's easy enough to check if the bacteria are in the bladder or entering the urethra from somewhere lower down.... I hope both your boys are feeling better soon!