Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

London Ontario Mixed Breed Verification

Bosco123
February 11th, 2011, 07:17 PM
After a run in with Breed Specific Legislation in London, Ontario I am now looking for anyone who has run into any issues with BSL or the "Breed Verification" program in place in London, ON for any mixed breed dogs. Please, Please! Share your stories here. We need something done here. I have heard far too many stories in the last 24 hours to not act. Any information, stories, etc are very much appreciated.

BenMax
February 12th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I have had experience with London Animal Control and I live in Montreal.
My story has been heard here before but I will be darned if I can find my own post.

Regardless, let me share with you my experience with them:

I work with various rescues and as a result got very active with helping Ontario move out bully breeds and mixes that were deemed 'pitbulls' or those that 'resemble' pits/amstaffs. I received a frantic call from a young woman that was in desperate need of assistance. She was visited by the AC as someone complained about a 'dog' on a balcony. AC walked into her home and explained why they were there. Thinking nothing of it, she let them in to show that infact her dog was not on the balcony nor ever was as she walks her regularily. Once inside the dog greeted them with enthusiasm..full of kisses and excitement. AC patted the dog and started to 'examine' her. To the owners surprise the AC had no intention of looking on her balcony as that was not the real reason. The real reason was someone reported seeing a 'pitbull'.
AC gave her a 48 hour notice to remove the dog. Her options were euthanize and provide a vet document to illustrate that the deed was done or get the dog out of the province. They were 'generous' (as they put it) by giving her this opportunity. The were to come back and required proof of where the dog was if out of province. That is when I got the call.
I contacted the AC of London, told them who I was along with credentials. That really does not matter as rescue to them means nothing except for those that are trying to buck their system. I was told that the dog was a pitbull mix and under no circumstances was the dog to remain in their province UNLESS I can prove that the dog was grandfathered by providing evidence or documentation that the dog was above the age of 3.
Immediately I contacted the vet that sterilized and vaccinated her. On the document it stated that the breed was 'boxer X lab' and that she was 9 years old. I was thrilled to say the least.
I spoke again with them and faxed the document. Proof was there and I was confident.
I received a phone call not 10 minutes later and after a cordial conversation I was asked to PROVE once again that the dog was within Ontario for the full 9 years. Shocked - I explained that the dog was only with the owner for 1.5 years and this proof was not possible as the owners disappeared and could not be located.
They had no intention whatsoever to let this dog stay in their province. I was given an extended 48 hours to have her shipped out and I required proof of where she was once out of Ontario.
The owner was devastated but there was no way she could afford a lawyer to plead her case. I understood as I was given her financial situation. A single unemployed mom with a small child.
With some very wonderful underground bully movement personnel, I was able to get her into Quebec and in my home where I fostered her. She was eventually adopted here and is doing well.
London Ontario AC are over zealous in removing dogs and destroying them. They will not budge and they will not give you an opportunity to prove that either your animal is not a bully breed as they put a time restriction on providing ridiculous documents to prove otherwise. They are unreasonable and take this law to the extreme in my opinion.
What I have found out is that many AC in Ontario do not have the time nor the resources to seek out animals deemed banned. They will however go to one's home if there is a report or suspicion. It is their mandate to do so.
Also, there are AC, humane societies and SPCAs that will call upon organizations to have animals removed from their custody. Some make great efforts while others, like AC London that will do the complete opposite and will not even consider alternatives.
Ask the AC for their criteria on how the actually measure the size and structure of a dog which leads them to 'believe' a dog is a banned breed. It is absolutely ridiculous and many dogs will fall into this category such as american bulldogs, cane corsos, dogos, boston X (only due to size I say X), boxers and many more that are mixes of rottweiler or any other dog that has a wide head where the ears sit up at the top. Ridiculous.
This is a big fight and a battle that will be on-going.
If you want more information, please ask for PM rights and I will provide you a name of a rescue group that deals with this and has many contacts that can provide you with more information.
There are many great people in Ontario that are doing the best they can to fight this legislation. There are people at battle with the ACs and try to negotiate some cases.
All I can tell you is that AC London sucks big time. They will not budge for anyone regardless of the circumstances. They do NOT care for the animals as their logo indicates and they certainly have no compassion for their citizens.

Good luck in your battle.:thumbs up

Luvmypitgirls
February 13th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I am so ashamed that London Ontario is my home town...:(

Etown_Chick
February 13th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I visited the Edmonton AC yesterday, to try to get someone to explain our weird restricted dog bylaw.
Basically they call AmStaffs and Pitties the same breed. If you have a CKC registered AmStaff, it's considerd a 'dog' but if you have a cross, or your AmStaff isn't registered, it's a restricted dog.
The restrictions are rediculous and no way for a dog to live.
The restrictions, they say, are due to the force of the AmStaff's bite and the fact that they don't let go. But, says I, why would the registered AmStaff's bite be so much gentler than the cross-breed dog's? Apparently they don't like that question. Then again, I"m the smart-ass who wants to know why my shotgun is so much less dangerous now that it's registered.
Fortunately very few poeple here are aware of the bylaws and none of hte Staffies or cross-breeds that I see are muzzled and they all seem to enjoy the dog park. The few issues we have all related back to the owners, surprise surprise.
I had been hoping I could foster pitties here, but it doesn't look like I'll even be able to do that...grrr

Luvmypitgirls
February 13th, 2011, 11:04 PM
I visited the Edmonton AC yesterday, to try to get someone to explain our weird restricted dog bylaw.
Basically they call AmStaffs and Pitties the same breed. If you have a CKC registered AmStaff, it's considerd a 'dog' but if you have a cross, or your AmStaff isn't registered, it's a restricted dog.
The restrictions are rediculous and no way for a dog to live.
The restrictions, they say, are due to the force of the AmStaff's bite and the fact that they don't let go. But, says I, why would the registered AmStaff's bite be so much gentler than the cross-breed dog's? Apparently they don't like that question. Then again, I"m the smart-ass who wants to know why my shotgun is so much less dangerous now that it's registered.
Fortunately very few poeple here are aware of the bylaws and none of hte Staffies or cross-breeds that I see are muzzled and they all seem to enjoy the dog park. The few issues we have all related back to the owners, surprise surprise.
I had been hoping I could foster pitties here, but it doesn't look like I'll even be able to do that...grrr

We at one time had a vet that "reclassified" our Pits in Edmonton.
I know we have a couple foster homes up there, but I haven't been anywhere near Edmonton in years. Bill Bruce, I know has tried to talk some sense into the powers that be in Edmonton, but to no avail, unfortunately:rolleyes:

Etown_Chick
February 13th, 2011, 11:49 PM
LMPG ya we've had some serious attacks in the city. I pointed out that they all relate back to the owners, and she agreed, but not a lot she can do.
From what she said, there is no way I can be a foster human for a pitty/Amstaff. Well, not if they know about it.