Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lost Black Male Cat in Maple Ridge, BC

Kingers
February 10th, 2011, 01:18 PM
On February 9th, shortly after midnight, our 14 month old cat got outside around 221st and Dewdney. Usually if he goes out, he comes back in 10 or 15 minutes later, and doesn't stray too far from home at all... he usually stays in the driveway or the yard anyway. He has a few unique features. He has a condition called horned paw, where his claws basically look like lobster claws, he has a claw like normal on all of his toes, and then a second one coming from the bottom of the same toe in an opposing direction. He's all black, but in the sun kind of has a dark brown/reddish tint, he also has a small amount of white hairs on his chest... probably like 20 hairs, it's quite a small amount. He answers to the name King, Kingers, Roo, Rudy, Rooden and Buddy. His eyes are yellow, but he has darker halos near his pupils. He has a tattoo in his ear and has been neutered. He weighs around 8lbs, he's fairly small, but he's stocky and very quick.

If you might have heard anything around that time, or seen anything that could help, it would be greatly appreciated... even if it's bad news.

I'm offering $100 for any information that leads to his safe return.

Please call Chris at 604-771-2919... the time of day doesn't matter

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f115/93TC_64IMP/king1a.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f115/93TC_64IMP/king2a.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f115/93TC_64IMP/king3a.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f115/93TC_64IMP/king4a.jpg

14+kitties
February 10th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Some tips that may help. Good luck. :fingerscr:goodvibes:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=69919

chico2
February 10th, 2011, 04:13 PM
What a pretty black kitty,I :pray:you find him very soon:fingerscr:pray:

BenMax
February 10th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I pray that you find your baby.

Good vibes coming your way.:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

Please contact all local vets, animal control, SPCA's in your area and even outside. Put up posters everywhere...heck - FLOOD the area with them. Put up posters in high human traffic areas such as corner stores, grocery stores and animal food stores/petstores.

I wish you well and a safe return.

Kingers
February 10th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm doing everything I can :). He's posted on a few forums, I've notified our postal worker, who's going to keep an eye out. I'm heading out to the SPCA right now to check their animals, they told me they don't have one that matches him logged... but they told me that sometimes they can't log an animal properly, or it hasn't been logged yet... so to come in an check anyway. After the SPCA, I'm heading out to have a bunch of posters printed that I made up in Illustrator. At about 7pm, I'm going to be going door to door and handing every neighbour a poster, as well as the neighbours in behind our house on the next street over... just in case, I'll be stapling a poster to every telephone pole in the area as well, and I will be posting one up in all of the local vets, as well as at the SPCA and pet food stores. I've also sent an email to all of the pet related places locally I can think of, like adoption groups and shelters and what not. When I go door to door, I'll be asking everyone if they could just take an extra look around their yard, under their decks, or anything like that. Last night I slept with every window open in the house... it was freezing, but I'd rather freeze for a night then him find a closed window. I've also been going on a walk for about a 4 block radius, up and down every street around us... I'm going to go again when I get home, and go a little bit further this time. He's my best friend..., and I owe him the respect to try everything I can... the only time I've really taken a break is when it gets too emotionally difficult.

BenMax
February 10th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Where exactly is Maple Ridge? Is it within a province or state. I don't know where you are writing from.

Kingers
February 10th, 2011, 06:09 PM
British Columbia, Canada... about 45 minutes or so outside of Vancouver.

BenMax
February 10th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Contact maybe a rescue group or even a shelter to find out if they know of a website that has all lost and found animals. We have one in Quebec that is amazing. I am hoping your province has something like this.

Kingers
February 10th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Thank you Ben... I'll do this first thing tomorrow. Just got in from knocking on everyone's door on our street... a couple of people said they seen a cat that looked like him today and yesterday on the next streets over... I really hope so, so we went and knocked on their doors too. Tomorrow I'm going to put a poster up in the high school, at the SPCA, and the vets as well as a few more places. I had to bring friends to go talk to people at the doors though, it was just too emotional for me :(, we also let them know that he could be hiding around their property so asked that they just take an extra minute to take a look.

sassylemon
February 10th, 2011, 10:12 PM
:goodvibes::grouphug: I hope you find your baby soon

chico2
February 11th, 2011, 07:23 AM
I am glad you are not here,at least the Vancouver area is warmer than the -20C,we had here last night.
I know most shelters around here have quiet a few black cats,I would definetly go and check them out myself.
I have a black DSH myself and often one look very much like any other black cat,but of course,as owners we would know the difference.
:fingerscr:goodvibes:to Kinger and You:cat:

BenMax
February 11th, 2011, 07:27 AM
I was thinking the same thing Chico2.
Very important to physically go to the shelters and pounds. They usually never take the time to relay the information on the phone or as there are so many black cats..it is hard to distinguish one from another...even if there are obvious physical differences.

BMDLuver
February 11th, 2011, 07:41 AM
You've put the cat's litter box outside, right?

Kingers
February 11th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I've put the litter box outside, as well as some of his toys. I went to the SPCA yesterday (that's the shelter here), and checked through the cats.

BenMax
February 11th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Geez my heart breaks for you.
Listen, years ago I lost my cat. She slipped out of the house by going through a screen. I did not realize it until later that day. Anyways - she was gone for 1 month. One day, there she was at my door. Keep the hope.

chico2
February 11th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Kingers,please do not lose hope and don't stop looking,he's out there somewhere.
You say in your first post,he is used to the outside,so he knows the neighborhood,hopefully well enough to find his way back.
Maybe he was chased away by a dog,or something else and just could not find his way back..
Did you check up in the trees,if you have any in the neighborhood?

Kingers
February 11th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I'm not losing hope :). I do want to share something that did happen to me today though..., it's fairly graphic, but I want to tell you right away, that it wasn't my cat.

I got a phone call from an 80 year old woman, who was upset, and saying that she is sorry about my kitty..., she lives 4 houses down from me, and told me that they found the bottom half of a black cat in their yard, however, her son disposed of it.

So, when the son got home, he phoned me, and he took me to where he disposed of it, and I was able to recover it, which was in a white garbage bag. We wrapped it up, and brought it home, where me, and a couple other people took a look at it..., thankfully, it didn't have the horned paw that our Kingers has, it seemed bigger then our guy, and I think it may have been a female.

We took the remains to the SPCA, so that they could log it, take down area information, and possibly give someone else some answers. Hopefully this will help someone else get closure.

It was a terrible thing to have to do, but we needed to know, whether it was for closure or not.

Today is the first day I think I really feel a little relieved..., everything in my head points to that could have been King..., the location, the time, the colour... but it wasn't... in a weird way that gave me a lot of hope, like... if I got so lucky, that this wasn't him... he could be alright.

The SPCA told me the same thing you guys are telling me too, that 2 or 3 days isn't tooo bad, and there's still good chances of him coming home... they said that they've had cats reunited with their owners after 1 month... 4 months and even 6 months. They basically told me that cats are survivors, and out their on their own... they will survive, unless it gets intervened by an outside factor.

We're hanging in there :)... every day's another day that he might find his way home.

chico2
February 12th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Kinger,what a terrible experience,did it look like this had been done by an animal,like a Coyote??
I am very glad it was not Kinger,but awfully sorry for the other cat..

The SPCA is right,a cat went missing on my street and 3 weeks later HS was called to pick him up only 4 houses away,where the lady had been feeding him.
He was micro-chipped so HS found the owner.

Kingers
February 12th, 2011, 05:38 PM
It was most likely a coyote that got that cat. Today me and my sister are heading out to go and look up trees, two sets of eyes are better then one... only problem is it's extremely rainy... but its worth it :).

We kind of think it might be something like what you mentioned, someone might be feeding him, or he could just be out of his territory, but nearby. The SPCA is very aware of him, I've called them a lot, and visited a few times, and when I went in the other day, they had pictures of him everywhere, so it made me happy that they're putting the effort in too :). He's got a tattoo, and some very unique features, so there's no doubt in my mind that he'll be easily identified as our cat.

The SPCA by our place puts found cats up for adoption after 5 days, so if I check every 3 days minimum, I shouldn't miss him..., but since he has a tattoo, that shouldn't be a problem anyway :).

chico2
February 13th, 2011, 07:10 AM
It seems many people are alerted to him,now he just has to show himself:fingerscr:goodvibes::pray::cat:

Kingers
February 14th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Just a small update today..., there was an ad posted on craigslist, about a deceased black cat found in a yard 8 blocks west and 7 blocks south of us. However I got in contact with the lady, to see if I could come and check on it..., but she said that she had already seen my posts, and she checked the cat for the horned paw condition, and that the animal that she found did not have that feature... gonna head to the SPCA tomorrow morning :)... we still have hopes of course... its hard, but I dunno... we all have a good feeling that he's alright.

Kingers
February 15th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I have a question I've been thinking about today...

If my little man is hiding, and in that silent survival mode..., will he eventually come out? Or will he hide like that until he passes?

We've spoken with more people on our street today, and none of them heard anything strange that night... and after some pretty severe wind, there has not been any hat have fallen out of any trees or anything..., so I believe he's hiding... so I was wondering.

I've read about missing cats a lot lately... and it seems that 5 or 6 days isn't really that long for a cat to be missing... it feels extremely long, but most of what I've read has the cat coming home longer then that. It just seems like he's still got a good chance to me :).

14+kitties
February 15th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Have you gone to all of your neighbours and asked to check under their decks, in their sheds, garages, garbage cans even that haven't been used since he disappeared. It's possible with the high winds that night that he got trapped behind a door that closed in the wind. Any little nook or cranny is worth looking into.
Is there new construction being done in your area? If so that would be a prime area to check. There are quite often sheds or temporary buildings there that only get opened occasionally. Or even a partly completed house - a door could have slammed shut and no one has had the need to open it. :shrug:

14+kitties
February 15th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Have you been going out at 4/5 am with a bag of his favourite treats and shaking them? Sometimes that is enough to bring a kitty out of hiding. He is probably terrified wherever he is.

Kingers
February 15th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Yes we have mentioned that to all of the neighbours, and I know that most of them definitely have checked for us. We've been going out at all hours of the day and night calling him, and bringing treats out, and leaving treats and toys for him. Thankfully, we have no construction anywhere near us right now either.

My friend actually just updated me on her cat..., he went missing, and showed up 8 days later out of nowhere... like nothing ever happened. She lives in a VERY dangerous area for a cat too... pretty much out in the woods... wolves, coyotes, hawks, eagles, owls... everywhere on her property.. and the cat came back 8 days later.

Again though, about the question..., will he eventually come out on his own if he is hiding?

14+kitties
February 15th, 2011, 05:36 PM
It's really hard to say. You know your cat better than anyone. I certainly can't answer that question. Every cat is different.
One of our members kitties went MIA a while back now. He was right in the bushes beside her and never made a sound. Another one was also hiding in bushes but no one saw him. He was caught in a live trap. There's all kinds of stories out there about successes. Have you been shining a flashlight into bushes, under houses, etc when you are out?
Have you considered setting up a live trap? That to me is the most effective method of catching a kitty. They are fairly inexpensive. Once a kitty is trapped they can't escape. If you get one you can bait it with tuna or sardines, even catnip. Anything that will attract your kitty. Cover it with a blanket/towel. Put it in an area near the house but protected from the elements. Then cross your fingers. It's possible kitty is coming back in the middle of the night wanting in and the door is closed against him. It's worth a shot.

Kingers
February 15th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the tips :). When we go out tonight, we'll do the flashlight thing. I'll also definitely look into the live trap/humane trap. As far as him showing up in the middle of the night..., there's one window that only he can make it to out of our cats, it's about 9 feet up, and we do leave that open just in case he's uninjured..., but we also have been cracking the bedroom windows, to try listening for him at night, but we also need to make sure our other cat doesn't get out... the live trap idea sounds interesting to me... I'm worried it could lure raccoons and such though... but it's worth a shot :).

Love4himies
February 16th, 2011, 07:38 AM
I keep hoping you have found him :(.

If he is scared or injured, no he might not come out, even if he hears you calling, but that would depend on your cat. My very vocal, active Jasper went missing a couple of summers ago and we ended up finding him about 50 feet away from the property line in some very long grass. Not a peep out of him while we were calling. Even when I was only a couple of feet away from him, he wouldn't come out of hiding, he was terrified (not sure of what :shrug:, he goes outside with us daily). Even when I parted the grass and looked down at him, he would barely lift his head.

Shine the flashlights up into trees too. I had a cat stuck up a tree for days and wouldn't come down. DH is a lineman (we were just friends back then), so I asked him to bring the line truck to get her down :lovestruck:.

Good luck :goodvibes::goodvibes:.

BTW, we also had a member whose cat came back a month after it disappeared.

BenMax
February 16th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Every time I see an update, I am hoping for a return.

Go home little one.:pray: