Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat food rotation, how often do you do it?

cheesecake
February 9th, 2011, 07:55 PM
I've pretty much been feeding her chicken, thinking about switching it up a little because she's already fussy about food, let's not make her even fussier -_-

Is it better to say get a varied protein source weekly? (with slow transition from can to can, I've learnt my lesson last time after she wiped her butt on my bed! DD: ) Or switch every month or so?

Anyone know anything about cats who are developing an allergic reaction to chicken also being allergic to eggs? (my cat is not allergic or anything, I'm just wondering about the prolonged exposure to eggs etc.)

Also, anyone feed AvoDerm long term? It's grain free and all and I was thinking about getting it, but then I read that avocado is poisonous to cats? o__O Is this a "trance amount over time" thing or a "large amount in one sitting" thing?

Thanks for the input :lovestruck:

clm
February 9th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I buy a number of different types of good quality catfood and a lot of different varieties within those types. Frankly my cats get a different variety every time I feed them. Mine don't like the same thing all the time.

clm

cheesecake
February 9th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I see, so I guess in the same line of thinking, if I were to say mix their food (esp the pate stuff) as in mix some beef with chicken etc, it would help with reducing allergies?

I guess I'm being paranoid about this because last time i tried to switch her food every day (got 7 cans of different stuff and gave it to her within a week >_> ) she pretty much said "no, im gonna have sticky poo and wipe it where you are gonna be sleeping. >=3" So I'm trying to figure out what the moderation is.

diandpat
February 9th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I have two cats. I buy the big cans of Wellness and the little cans of Instinct. They big can will last two days and the little can is a feeding and a half. They get different protein on a regular basis and if there is a wee bit leftover in one can I mix it with the new can...usually for Ziggy because he will eat anything LOL :laughing:

I am so glad I took the suggestions here of different brands as we don't buy the Evo anymore since they changed ownership but it has not even caused e ripple :thumbs up

pattymac
February 9th, 2011, 09:40 PM
I get them pretty much all the flavours of Natural Balance, except the duck and venison, they don't really like those flavours. That's about the only food they'll all eat regularly. Once in a while, I'll get them some junk food, like Fancy Feast or Whiskas.

cheesecake
February 10th, 2011, 02:27 AM
I get them pretty much all the flavours of Natural Balance, except the duck and venison, they don't really like those flavours. That's about the only food they'll all eat regularly. Once in a while, I'll get them some junk food, like Fancy Feast or Whiskas.

Oh man my cat goes crazy for fancy feast... i wonder what they put in there....

Normally when she eat something, she leave a "bottom" as in a little bit at the bottom of her bowl that she has to be coaxed into eating. (I dont feed her a lot in each sitting but she still leaves the "bottom" no matter how much I feed her)

But with fancy feast she licks the bowl clean, it was like, shiny. =.=

Love4himies
February 10th, 2011, 07:50 AM
I do the same as CLM. My cats get different flavours, different brands, sometimes 3 brands mixed together in one meal. Keeps the meals interesting :D

Here is what I feed (always mixed with 50% homemade raw):

Main food: Nature's Variety Instinct (all flavours)
Secondary: Wellness, grain free (beef/chicken/turkey)
Then for treats: Go Natural, Trout
Fromms 4 star pate grain free.
Almo Nature, tuna and shrimp (Jasper goes :crazy: for shrimp :D)

chico2
February 10th, 2011, 08:34 AM
I too feed different flavors/brands lately,I've added Natural Balance and they really love it,they still get Wellness.
Yesterday I got some sample-cans of Almo for free,they were only 1,7 oz,figured I let them split it at lunchtime(tuna/shrimp),it was gone in 2 seconds:laughing:and they usually never eat anything that's not pate.

I believe,if you vary their food,meal-time is a bit more interesting for them....ok,I know they are not human:cat:

cheesecake
February 10th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I do the same as CLM. My cats get different flavours, different brands, sometimes 3 brands mixed together in one meal. Keeps the meals interesting :D

But you always put a bit of what they had yesterday in the new meal right?

Say if you feed wellness chicken for one day, the second day you'd have wellness chicken mixed with nature's variety, and the day after nature's variety mixed with something else?

Here is what I feed (always mixed with 50% homemade raw):

Do you grind/cook your raw food? or just basically defrost the food (say a chicken wing) and give it to them?

Almo Nature, tuna and shrimp (Jasper goes :crazy: for shrimp :D)

Oh man the day my cat had the tuna and shrimp variety was the day she wiped the sticky poo on my bed x_x

Love4himies
February 10th, 2011, 12:56 PM

Yup, my cats (4 cats) get fed 3 times a day, each meal consisting of about half-3/4 of a 5.5 oz can each meal, so if I open a can, don't finish it, I will finish it in the next meal (main and secondary brands), and for a treat, I may add a bit of a can from one of their "treat" selections to enhance their food. Because they get fed so often and I have so many cats, their meals are never exactly the same as the previous one.

Say if you feed wellness chicken for one day, the second day you'd have wellness chicken mixed with nature's variety, and the day after nature's variety mixed with something else?

Do you grind/cook your raw food? or just basically defrost the food (say a chicken wing) and give it to them?

Cats should only be fed raw meat in order to get their full essential nutrients. I grind the meat and bones and put them in daily size freezer bags. I make a batch that will last for about 3 weeks.

Oh man the day my cat had the tuna and shrimp variety was the day she wiped the sticky poo on my bed x_x

I never feed my cats just fish for a meal, that's why a bit is mixed with their main food, so a small can of Almo between 4 cats will last 2 days. I also don't normally feed them a fish flavour in every meal. I find just adding a bit entices Puddles (who has almost zero appetite :() to eat more. So their morning meal may have some Almo/Fromms/Go Natural, then their dinner feeding may not, etc., etc. I find too much fish will give Jasper diarrhea :yuck:.

chico2
February 10th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Cheesecake,another thing that I think has not been mentioned,I don't know if you do,but if you put canned cat-food in the fridge,the cats won't eat it,at least not my cats.
Adding a little warm water might help,but I believe since cats rely on smell,food from the fridge might not smell anymore.

pattymac
February 10th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I give anything cold about 10 seconds in the nuker. I got some samples of the Almo food... not too popular..what do you mean we have to chew it!!??

Love4himies
February 10th, 2011, 06:08 PM
I give anything cold about 10 seconds in the nuker. I got some samples of the Almo food... not too popular..what do you mean we have to chew it!!??

I nuke mine too and mix it around before serving.

sugarcatmom
February 10th, 2011, 06:18 PM

Not me, my cats eat about a gazillion different foods, everything from raw ostrich to rabbit, canned Wellness, Nature's Variety, Merrick, Eagle Pack, Precise, Almo (thanks for the tip on that one L4H, the kitties do :lovestruck: it), Go!, Evanger's, (and sometimes even Fancy Feast, although not so much now that Aztec has renal issues). They may eat 4 or more different things in one day, and I've never done a slow switch-over. But that's not to say that other cats don't have more sensitive digestive systems and may need a more gradual transition between foods. Every cat is different. Probiotics can help with that though.

cheesecake
February 10th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I never feed my cats just fish for a meal, that's why a bit is mixed with their main food....[...] I find too much fish will give Jasper diarrhea :yuck:.

Alright, got it :thumbs up

Cheesecake,another thing that I think has not been mentioned,I don't know if you do,but if you put canned cat-food in the fridge,the cats won't eat it,at least not my cats.
Adding a little warm water might help,but I believe since cats rely on smell,food from the fridge might not smell anymore.

Haha if you read my post about cookies getting an upset stomach... one of the only ways she'd be interested in her old canned stuff is if I heat it up for 10~15 secs and mixed it with water :3

The other way is if I warm it up and offer it to her in my hands.... "please eat your highnesss O_O"

But after I started mixing a little bit of fancy feast (pate chicken and liver<-stuff addictions are made of =_= ) in her food, she eats that stuff up :highfive: I still heat everything up though.

Now I'm looking to rotate her food mostly to loosen her liver addiction and prevent any allergies in the future :D

Probiotics can help with that though.
Is prozyme (the brand) different from probiotics? They offer a free sample with their original formula, but I'm not sure if I can use it for cats since they have one especially formulated for felines.

sugarcatmom
February 10th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Is prozyme (the brand) different from probiotics? They offer a free sample with their original formula, but I'm not sure if I can use it for cats since they have one especially formulated for felines.

Prozyme is actually digestive enzymes, different from probiotics. Prozyme sometimes helps with soft stinky stool and gaseousness if it's a result of inadequate digestion. You can indeed use the original formula (I gave Prozyme to my feral momma when she had her kittens because she was eating such huge volumes of food that it didn't have time to digest properly. Her farts - or rather "flatulence", as cpeitra would say :laughing: - could burn holes in your eyes. And the staying power! :eek:).