Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Prosecute for the senseless slaughter of 100 Sled Dogs!-Petition

Rgeurts
February 9th, 2011, 06:19 PM
This is the link if anyone is interested in signing this petition. They are just a few sigs short of 100,000!!

http://apps.facebook.com/petitions/1/prosecute-for-the-senseless-slaughter-of-100-sled-dogs/

Post approved by Admins

rainbow
February 9th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I don't belong to Facebook so I can't sign it. :wall:

Chris21711
February 9th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I don't belong to Facebook so I can't sign it. :wall:

It takes 2 seconds to join....

Not wanting to be a party pooper but BC Laws for animal protection are really weak and Federal Law, "intent" to cause distress has to be proven to warrant prosecution.....It is not illegal to kill an animal under the existing laws :(:yell::frustrated:

mastifflover
February 9th, 2011, 07:08 PM
signed and shared

Rgeurts
February 9th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Thanks guys!!! I didn't even think to PM Marko for permission. Hopefully they will let it stay. I'll PM him now :)

CarolynInPEI
February 9th, 2011, 07:36 PM
signed and shared as well :/

Frenchy
February 9th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I went to sign it , but I can see I already signed it on feb 5. I sign so many of them I can't remember which ones I did or not. :o

mastifflover
February 9th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I am sure he would be okay with it. It is not like there would be any controversy between the pets.ca family on this one.

Luvmypitgirls
February 9th, 2011, 10:43 PM
signed!

Soundy
February 11th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Is an online petition REALLY needed for the courts to prosecute whoever is found at fault? I can just picture a Crown attorney now: "Well, now we've figured out who's actually culpable... we were going to just let him walk away, but we've had second thoughts because of this Facebook petition..."

cell
February 11th, 2011, 04:50 PM
With animal rights laws being virtually non-existent, it may be the public pressure that forces a re-consideration of the legal handling of this situation.
If nothing else I would like to see accountability issued for those involved in the killings simply to create a public record that these practices are not tolerated, especially without the attendance of a legally accountable figure.
A veterinarian or member of a responsible organization should have been present to ensure no suffering was inflicted to these dogs, AFTER a thorough list of options had been exhausted to transfer the animals. Considering no one made call-outs to place these dogs it is obvious all attempts to re-purpose or re-home these dogs was not taken which is tragic.

aslan
February 11th, 2011, 05:03 PM
signed,,,,,#101,838 signatures already:thumbs up

Soundy
February 11th, 2011, 05:43 PM
With animal rights laws being virtually non-existent, it may be the public pressure that forces a re-consideration of the legal handling of this situation.
Well then an appropriate petition would be one calling for change to the laws. As it stands, given the public exposure, you can be sure those determined to be responsible WILL be prosecuted to the fullest extent possible, petition or no... they can't prosecute beyond what the law permits.

If nothing else I would like to see accountability issued for those involved in the killings simply to create a public record that these practices are not tolerated, especially without the attendance of a legally accountable figure.
We all would... but it's important for the PROPER investigation to determine who those people are... not internet speculation.

A veterinarian or member of a responsible organization should have been present to ensure no suffering was inflicted to these dogs, AFTER a thorough list of options had been exhausted to transfer the animals. Considering no one made call-outs to place these dogs it is obvious all attempts to re-purpose or re-home these dogs was not taken which is tragic.
Well, according to the Worksafe report that all this started from, vets WERE asked to attend and "euthanize" properly... and all refused to put down otherwise healthy dogs. The operator's statement was that he DID try to find other homes, including contacting the SPCA, and was unsuccessful.

Keep in mind all those statements are part of the claim he made to Worksafe, BEFORE it all blew up, so it's not as if he's coming out afterward trying to cover his ass retroactively.

I'm just saying, there's a lot on both sides that doesn't add up, and that's what the investigation has to sort out. A bunch of rumormongers on the internet don't have the facts and shouldn't be so quick to judge.

Luvmypitgirls
February 11th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Well then an appropriate petition would be one calling for change to the laws. As it stands, given the public exposure, you can be sure those determined to be responsible WILL be prosecuted to the fullest extent possible, petition or no... they can't prosecute beyond what the law permits.

We all would... but it's important for the PROPER investigation to determine who those people are... not internet speculation.

Well, according to the Worksafe report that all this started from, vets WERE asked to attend and "euthanize" properly... and all refused to put down otherwise healthy dogs. The operator's statement was that he DID try to find other homes, including contacting the SPCA, and was unsuccessful.

Keep in mind all those statements are part of the claim he made to Worksafe, BEFORE it all blew up, so it's not as if he's coming out afterward trying to cover his ass retroactively.

I'm just saying, there's a lot on both sides that doesn't add up, and that's what the investigation has to sort out. A bunch of rumormongers on the internet don't have the facts and shouldn't be so quick to judge.

Just out of curiousity are you an employee/friend/ aquaintance of the people who own the company, or the man that comitted this horrendous crime?

rainbow
February 11th, 2011, 07:02 PM
It takes 2 seconds to join....

I signed it on a friend's log-in. :thumbs up

Not wanting to be a party pooper but BC Laws for animal protection are really weak and Federal Law, "intent" to cause distress has to be proven to warrant prosecution.....It is not illegal to kill an animal under the existing laws :(:yell::frustrated:

You are right and it is so sad that most people just sit on their duffs and just hope that the laws will change. :(

Just out of curiousity are you an employee/friend/ aquaintance of the people who own the company, or the man that comitted this horrendous crime?

I was wondering the same thing. :shrug:

Soundy
February 11th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I have no connection with either company or ANY of the people involved, period, including the RCMP or SPCA.

I DO get readily annoyed with emotionally-charged silliness, which is what this petition is.

Think about it: you're signing an online petition telling prosecutors they need to do... what IT'S THEIR JOB TO DO... when the real target should be those who actually make the laws that will be applied.

It's about as useful as signing a petition telling your dog's groomer that she REALLY MUST cut your dog's hair, dammit!

aslan
February 11th, 2011, 07:31 PM
so you don't think that the people involved with this should be prosecuted..

Soundy
February 11th, 2011, 07:34 PM
What a ridiculous question. Of course I do. Read my very first paragraph above.

mastifflover
February 11th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I have no connection with either company or ANY of the people involved, period, including the RCMP or SPCA.

I DO get readily annoyed with emotionally-charged silliness, which is what this petition is.

Think about it: you're signing an online petition telling prosecutors they need to do... what IT'S THEIR JOB TO DO... when the real target should be those who actually make the laws that will be applied.

It's about as useful as signing a petition telling your dog's groomer that she REALLY MUST cut your dog's hair, dammit!

Petitions were started to show displeasure or outrage peacefully and to show how many feel this way. Sorry but if there is no public pressure in this case it will not be prosecuted. It will end up being dropped for some loophole or legal technically. If there is public awareness of the case it will put pressure on the crown to press charges and pursue a conviction. Which in turn may help animal advocates have just one more reason and case to use to get the laws changed.

Do you really believe that prosecutors don't have to be told to prosecute cases, you are dreaming. Do you know how many charges get dropped because they don't want to do there jobs properly.

rainbow
February 11th, 2011, 07:38 PM

You are right but I would not call it "silliness" ....it is only natural for someone like myself and others here that deeply love animals to jump on board .....I guess some would call us puppets.

I agree it is much more effective to write to our MP/MLA's to voice our opinions. :thumbs up

rainbow
February 11th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Petitions were started to show displeasure or outrage peacefully and to show how many feel this way. Sorry but if there is no public pressure in this case it will not be prosecuted. It will end up being dropped for some loophole or legal technically. If there is public awareness of the case it will put pressure on the crown to press charges and pursue a conviction. Which in turn may help animal advocates have just one more reason and case to use to get the laws changed.

I actually think it would be much more effective to have public demonstrations across the country as that is what gets the media attention. :thumbs up

aslan
February 11th, 2011, 08:53 PM
What a ridiculous question. Of course I do. Read my very first paragraph above.

it isn't a ridiculous question,,,you're in one breath saying that yes they should be prosecuted then turning around and calling those of us voicing our disgust with the laws as they stand by requesting they be charged -rumourmongers and emotionally charged sillyness.

which is it,,,does the fact 100 perfectly healthy dogs were destroyed bother me yes,,does the fact the person that slaughtered them is now getting paid by our tax dollars bother me,,yes,,,he could have saved himself the trauma and just said no,,i wouldn't have as big an issue with tax dollars paying for his unemployment insurance or welfare...And i really have an issue with our laws saying that since they are property then who really cares they can do what they want....so yes i signed a petition saying " I WANT THE LAWS CHANGED AND THESE PEOPLE CHARGED."

Rgeurts
February 11th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Is an online petition REALLY needed for the courts to prosecute whoever is found at fault? I can just picture a Crown attorney now: "Well, now we've figured out who's actually culpable... we were going to just let him walk away, but we've had second thoughts because of this Facebook petition..."

An online Facebook petition will not change a law. But what it WILL do is be put together with all the other public outcrys for justice. If enough people stand up and make noise, whether it's a facebook petition or marching the legislature doesn't really matter. It's a voice for those who can't speak for themselves. If you find it ridiculous, then don't post. Plain and simple.

Thanks to all of you who signed it! I can't believe it's already hit over 100,000 :D:thumbs up

I will be organizing the candlelight memorial and dog walk for Edmonton on April 23. These are the other places involved so far:

Buffalo NewYork: Bancroft Ontario: Grand Falls Newfoundland: Grand Prairie Alberta, North Vancouver, Australia, South Africa

It's going to be a lot of work, but I think the more people that stand up, the more the government will have to hold these people accountable, and eventually put some laws in place to protect the animals. :pray: :fingerscr

Rgeurts
February 11th, 2011, 09:16 PM
it isn't a ridiculous question,,,you're in one breath saying that yes they should be prosecuted then turning around and calling those of us voicing our disgust with the laws as they stand by requesting they be charged -rumourmongers and emotionally charged sillyness.

which is it,,,does the fact 100 perfectly healthy dogs were destroyed bother me yes,,does the fact the person that slaughtered them is now getting paid by our tax dollars bother me,,yes,,,he could have saved himself the trauma and just said no,,i wouldn't have as big an issue with tax dollars paying for his unemployment insurance or welfare...And i really have an issue with our laws saying that since they are property then who really cares they can do what they want....so yes i signed a petition saying " I WANT THE LAWS CHANGED AND THESE PEOPLE CHARGED."

I couldn't agree with you more, aslan!! :thumbs up

One law that needs to be changed is the way post traumatic stress disorder is approved. I personally believe (and I'm sure I'm not alone) if you are the one who created that stress, you should not be entitled to compensation.

Rgeurts
February 11th, 2011, 09:55 PM

And btw... is it REALLY necessary for you to always be so argumentative and rude to people? Debate, or disagreeing is one thing... but to be so blantantly ignorant isn't called for.

Luvmypitgirls
February 12th, 2011, 12:27 AM
An online Facebook petition will not change a law. But what it WILL do is be put together with all the other public outcrys for justice. If enough people stand up and make noise, whether it's a facebook petition or marching the legislature doesn't really matter. It's a voice for those who can't speak for themselves. If you find it ridiculous, then don't post. Plain and simple.

Thanks to all of you who signed it! I can't believe it's already hit over 100,000 :D:thumbs up

I will be organizing the candlelight memorial and dog walk for Edmonton on April 23. These are the other places involved so far:

Buffalo NewYork: Bancroft Ontario: Grand Falls Newfoundland: Grand Prairie Alberta, North Vancouver, Australia, South Africa

It's going to be a lot of work, but I think the more people that stand up, the more the government will have to hold these people accountable, and eventually put some laws in place to protect the animals. :pray: :fingerscr

Rgeurts, I'm glad to hear there are over 100,000 online signatures! Thats awesome!:thumbs up

Luvmypitgirls
February 12th, 2011, 12:30 AM
I actually think it would be much more effective to have public demonstrations across the country as that is what gets the media attention. :thumbs up

Public demonstrations would be awesome, afterall look what the Egyptians managed to achieve thru public demonstrations, the sad thing tho, is Canadians from time to time voice displeasure, but it's short lived and never loud enough to make a real difference. Perhaps if we had the determination that the Egyptians have demonstrated we really could change the laws of the land.
Unfortunately there will always be those that claim we are emotionally charged, rumormongers, brainless and silly. And of course there will always be those that will say animals die get over it.
It's those attitudes that make me love animals even more.

mastifflover
February 12th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by Soundy

You really live in a dream world the courts will sweep this under the rug and cut some lousy plea bargain but with the public looking at this case they actually may put a tiny bit of effort into prosecuting and actually seeing it through rather than charge the guy and wait till they think the they nobody is watching anymore and drop the charges or give him the obligatory slap on the wrist. The courts are so backed up they let criminals walk all the time. These lawyers are basically government employees and do the least amount of work possible. I have a friend who is a crown attorney and believe me has told me some vile crimes that have not been prosecuted because of lazy incompetent lawyers.

Love4himies
February 12th, 2011, 08:22 AM
The person who did the slaughter can only be charged if he did indeed break the law and if there is proof to substantiate it. I am thinking if he broke the law by shooting the dogs and the dogs not dying immediately, then hunters are breaking the law with almost every kill they do.

A billion people can sign the petition, but unless this person broke the law that were in effect at the time of the killings, then he won't be prosecuted and it's not because the prosecutor doesn't want to, it's because he/she may not be able to.

Rgeurts
February 12th, 2011, 08:57 AM
L4H there are laws that state it is a criminal offense if you willfully inflict pain or harm on a pet that is under your care and control. This is what people are pushing for. The reason animals have no rights in this country is because of all the people who just sit back say "Oh, why bother. Nothing's going to be done. No one is going to held accountable. All they will get is a slap on the wrist." If people aren't willing to stand up and fight for what they believe, then sorry... they shouldn't be complaining about anything.

Just my :2cents:

Love4himies
February 12th, 2011, 09:09 AM
L4H there are laws that state it is a criminal offense if you willfully inflict pain or harm on a pet that is under your care and control. This is what people are pushing for. The reason animals have no rights in this country is because of all the people who just sit back say "Oh, why bother. Nothing's going to be done. No one is going to held accountable. All they will get is a slap on the wrist." If people aren't willing to stand up and fight for what they believe, then sorry... they shouldn't be complaining about anything.

Just my :2cents:

But it's the "intent to inflict pain or harm", all this guy has to say I didn't mean to do it, I wanted a clean, quick kill and using a gun would be proof that he tried to do a quick kill. The burden of proof is on the prosecutor, not the defense.

I am not saying I agree with what happened, because I don't. I was absolutely disgusted. It was horrifying and morally wrong :(. I blame the fact that a business was allowed to keep 300 dogs :eek:. No business should be able to do so, it only leads to poorly kept dogs and killings such as what did happen.

I absolutely agree that the laws will only change if people are screaming at the government, and I mean a lot, because there is going to be hunters and farmers that will also be screaming at the gov't to not change them. What I read of this petition was to charge the person who did the killing, not change the Canadian animal cruelty laws.

I just think to waste energy on getting angry at the prosecutor for not charging (I am sure they are looking into the law and trying to come up with an argument that may win their case) this man when in fact, he may not be able to, the energy needs to go into changing the law.

Rgeurts
February 12th, 2011, 09:58 AM
They are actually looking at criminal charges. I don't know if you have read the official WBC document, but what he claims to have done is horrific! He also posted on a web forum and those posts will be included in the evidence against. He knew what he was doing was wrong, and cruel. But he stated he had no other choice. People ALWAYS have a choice. That's what set us apart, and make us even more despicable as a race... we tend to make the wrong choices the majority of the time. But back to the criminal charges. What will make it possible is the fact the he knew what he was doing, he knew he was killing the dogs in front of each other, causing them stress and actually causing one to attack him. He shot half of one of the dogs (Suzie, the mother of his family dog) face off. He said her scream was the most awful sound and it caused him to drop her leash. She ran from him screaming, with her eye hanging out of the socket, another dog. When he tried to approach her to finish the job, the other dog attacked him. He knew after dog #15 that he was torturing them, yet he continued, killing another 85.

But it's the "intent to inflict pain or harm", all this guy has to say I didn't mean to do it, I wanted a clean, quick kill and using a gun would be proof that he tried to do a quick kill. The burden of proof is on the prosecutor, not the defense.
He didn't mean to do it... 100 times?? He won't be able to use that as a defense. If it were only one dog, he could say that. Maybe even 10. But he stated himself that the other dogs knew what he was doing, stressed out, attacked him, tried to run etc. At one point he said he would shoot them and when they didn't die he would slit their throats. He knew the kills were quick or clean, and that's why he had a knife as a backup.

I personally think that anyone who loves animals and wants better laws in place to protect them should read those documents. It will bring you to tears and make you angry. Hopefully, angry enough to stand up and make some noise. I pray that he greatly exaggerated to get the PTSD paid, but I don't really think he did. Even if he did exaggerate, the fact that he killed all those dogs is true. They have found the mass grave and the dogs (what is left) will be recovered as evidence.

Chris21711
February 12th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Here is his WSIB claim....at first it was denied then a review was carried out, consequently it was then approved.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GTBIrZSuzurZgV3c-CvrLJh0sWtIOTTYdVw94fEJYX0/edit?hl=en&authkey=CIv2ibED&pli=1#

Proving "intent" is not as easy as it seems on the surface. Regardless that it is 1 dog or 1000 dogs, if the "intent" to cause pain and suffering is not there it makes it that much more difficult to bring any charges....sigh.

Rgeurts
February 12th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Here is his WSIB claim....at first it was denied then a review was carried out, consequently it was then approved.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GTBIrZSuzurZgV3c-CvrLJh0sWtIOTTYdVw94fEJYX0/edit?hl=en&authkey=CIv2ibED&pli=1#

Proving "intent" is not as easy as it seems on the surface. Regardless that it is 1 dog or 1000 dogs, if the "intent" to cause pain and suffering is not there it makes it that much more difficult to bring any charges....sigh.

That is true, but that will never change unless people speak up. You have to fight. If people are not willing to do that, nothing will change and this will continue to be viewed as acceptable behavior in the eyes of the law. Maybe the petitions, walks, marches etc. won't be enough to hold anyone accountable, but it CAN be enough to change the laws so this doesn't happen again. But, as I said, unless people are willing to come out of their cocoons, comfort zones, etc and start doing something to help, it will continue. There are people from all over the world rallying. There are memorials being held as far away as South Africa and Italy. If there's enough support from the world community, and those of us who live here in Canada and say enough... something WILL get done.

Rgeurts
February 12th, 2011, 01:56 PM

It was approved because his lawyer stated that the stress was sudden, even though he had "euthanized" (his words, not mine. Mine would be slaughtered) over 1000 dogs and puppies in the past few yrs. His lawyer claimed that he had never had to kill so many at one time, so it was a sudden incident (which is what it takes to be able to claim under post traumatic stress disorder). What needs to be changed here is the fact that you can collect even if you are the one who brought on the event that caused you stress. If you "choose" to do something that stresses you out, you should be on your own.

Chris21711
February 12th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I agree with you Rguerts :)

As the law stands today it is hard to prove "intent"......believe it or not the current law is an improvement on the old one :frustrated:....Canda refuses to recognize animals as anything more than "property".

Ontario has the strongest Animal Cruelty Laws in Canada and it much easier to guarantee some sort of prosecution even though once it reaches the Courts the penalties are almost laughable.

Judges are given the power to give harsher penalties but rarely does that happen....sigh

Rgeurts
February 12th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I agree with you Rguerts :)

As the law stands today it is hard to prove "intent"......believe it or not the current law is an improvement on the old one :frustrated:....Canda refuses to recognize animals as anything more than "property".

Ontario has the strongest Animal Cruelty Laws in Canada and it much easier to guarantee some sort of prosecution even though once it reaches the Courts the penalties are almost laughable.

Judges are given the power to give harsher penalties but rarely does that happen....sigh

I know, it's pretty sad :(
I don't know if all the media attention in the world will help in getting anyone held accountable for what's already happened because of the way the laws are worded, but it can be enough to have those laws rewritten and/or updated. I have a very busy life, and a lot to deal with already, but if my voice will help in anyway, I'll be there :)

cassiek
February 12th, 2011, 06:25 PM
And btw... is it REALLY necessary for you to always be so argumentative and rude to people? Debate, or disagreeing is one thing... but to be so blantantly ignorant isn't called for.

I agree with you Rgeurts. Soundy, you are more than welcome here and feel free to state your opinion on whatever you wish, but you may find that most of us on this board are very passionate about our pets and tend to get "emotional" (what human that cared about animals wouldn't in this case?) when such a horrific tragedy occurs, such as this. I understand your points on this issue, but I think there are more tactful ways to go about presenting your case. :shrug:

I think we can all be respectful to each other without being rude, no?

The vibe I have got from the time I've been on pets is that if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all. I know for myself, if I can't offer input on an issue without being respectful to others here, I don't post... it's just that simple. :rolleyes:

Public demonstrations would be awesome, afterall look what the Egyptians managed to achieve thru public demonstrations, the sad thing tho, is Canadians from time to time voice displeasure, but it's short lived and never loud enough to make a real difference. Perhaps if we had the determination that the Egyptians have demonstrated we really could change the laws of the land.
Unfortunately there will always be those that claim we are emotionally charged, rumormongers, brainless and silly. And of course there will always be those that will say animals die get over it.
It's those attitudes that make me love animals even more.

LMPG, your my hero... you took the words out of my mouth. :thumbs up

That is true, but that will never change unless people speak up. You have to fight. If people are not willing to do that, nothing will change and this will continue to be viewed as acceptable behavior in the eyes of the law. If there's enough support from the world community, and those of us who live here in Canada and say enough... something WILL get done.

:thumbs up I agree 110%! The squeakiest wheal gets the grease... no matter what, petitions such as these can only cause good IMO.

Luvmypitgirls
February 12th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Like I said the people that owned the dogs, the company that made a buck off their pulling sleds, and the man that slit and shot the dogs, all deserve to burn in hell for an eternity. Whether they do or not is unfortunately not my decision to make but I will be screaming, I will be protesting, I will be writing and calling members of parliment.
And if I can I would like to organize a rally in Calgary, not just for dog guardians but animals of every type guardians.
The laws need to change. :mad:
And I do hope those involved all burn in hell I make no apologies for my anger and disgust.

Rgeurts
February 12th, 2011, 07:31 PM
And if I can I would like to organize a rally in Calgary, not just for dog guardians but animals of every type guardians.

LMPG there is a rally set for tomorrow in Calgary. This is the FB link:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=143960132332295

Here is the info in case you don't have FB:

Calgary, AB - Memorial walk for the 100 Slaughtered Sled Dogs

Time
Sunday, February 13 2:00pm - 4:00pm
Location Pathway in front of edworth park 5050 spruce Dr Sw North side (facing Shaganappi trail/16th ave) Calgary, AB
Created By
Boycotting Outdoor Adventures in BC, Whistler
More Info:
People across BC are doing Memorial walks to remember the 100 Slaughtered dogs.
I plan on meeting on the pathway in front of Edworthy park, and we will walk down that pathway for as long as people feel they can go. Please feel free to bring your dogs if you have.
I plan on bringing and holding a picture of a Husky (Sled Dogs) please feel free to do the same.
Please join me in remembering these poor beautiful dogs that were slaughtered so unnecessarily.

rainbow
February 12th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I absolutely agree that the laws will only change if people are screaming at the government, and I mean a lot

That is true, but that will never change unless people speak up. You have to fight. If people are not willing to do that, nothing will change and this will continue to be viewed as acceptable behavior in the eyes of the law. Maybe the petitions, walks, marches etc. won't be enough to hold anyone accountable, but it CAN be enough to change the laws so this doesn't happen again. But, as I said, unless people are willing to come out of their cocoons, comfort zones, etc and start doing something to help, it will continue. There are people from all over the world rallying. There are memorials being held as far away as South Africa and Italy. If there's enough support from the world community, and those of us who live here in Canada and say enough... something WILL get done.

:thumbs up I agree 110%! The squeakiest wheal gets the grease... no matter what, petitions such as these can only cause good IMO.

Whether they do or not is unfortunately not my decision to make but I will be screaming, I will be protesting, I will be writing and calling members of parliment.
The laws need to change. :mad:

I started another thread with a website to send a letter to the PM, your MP, the Justice Minister and Opposition Critic regarding the need to change Canada's Animal Cruelty Laws if anyone is interested ....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=75254

Luvmypitgirls
February 13th, 2011, 01:07 AM

Time
Location Pathway in front of edworth park 5050 spruce Dr Sw North side (facing Shaganappi trail/16th ave) Calgary, AB
Created By
More Info:
I plan on meeting on the pathway in front of Edworthy park, and we will walk down that pathway for as long as people feel they can go. Please feel free to bring your dogs if you have.
I plan on bringing and holding a picture of a Husky (Sled Dogs) please feel free to do the same.
Please join me in remembering these poor beautiful dogs that were slaughtered so unnecessarily.

Thank you for that info!

Love4himies
February 13th, 2011, 06:42 AM
I started another thread with a website to send a letter to the PM, your MP, the Justice Minister and Opposition Critic regarding the need to change Canada's Animal Cruelty Laws if anyone is interested ....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=75254

Thanks Rainbow. :thumbs up

Luvmypitgirls
February 13th, 2011, 11:51 AM

Time
Created By
More Info:

Regurts, hubby and I will be there. I was supposed to finalize an adoption for today, but she hasn't returned my call so we are coming to the rally. We will be bringing Kato our Rotti and Jersey one of our Pitgirls, afterall NO dog deserves that fate.
Cya there!

Rgeurts
February 13th, 2011, 12:08 PM
LMPG, were won't be going to the walk in Calgary, unfortunately :(
It's a 6 hour drive total. We are going to the candle light memorial in Innisfail this eve, it's only a 3 hour drive round trip :D

If I had known about the Calgary event yesterday (one yesterday and one today), we would have made that trip, but it's hard on Sunday as all 3 of us work early tomorrow. Take a lot of pics for me!!

And thank you for showing your support!! Every body counts :grouphug: :highfive:

Luvmypitgirls
February 13th, 2011, 12:19 PM
LMPG, were won't be going to the walk in Calgary, unfortunately :(
It's a 6 hour drive total. We are going to the candle light memorial in Innisfail this eve, it's only a 3 hour drive round trip :D

If I had known about the Calgary event yesterday (one yesterday and one today), we would have made that trip, but it's hard on Sunday as all 3 of us work early tomorrow. Take a lot of pics for me!!

And thank you for showing your support!! Every body counts :grouphug: :highfive:

OHhh too bad. OK well, that's too bad, would've been nice to meet ya.
I didn't know about the one yesterday, do you know if there are any others being planned in Calgary? I'll go to as many as I can.

kitona
February 13th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Hope and I will be there.

Rgeurts
February 13th, 2011, 12:26 PM
OHhh too bad. OK well, that's too bad, would've been nice to meet ya.
I didn't know about the one yesterday, do you know if there are any others being planned in Calgary? I'll go to as many as I can.

Maybe this summer we can get together! I don't mind the drive on a Friday (I only work Monday-Thursday) or Saturday. It's just a little too long on a Sunday having to work Monday lol. I posted another thread with a FB link to an organization that is doing some wonderful work keeping this in the public eye. They are linking all the rallies/walks on their page in the events section.

This is the link to the post:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=75256

There is a candle light vigil set for April 23 (anniversary date) and places all over the world will be joining in. I'm organizing the event for Edmonton, and I think there is already one for Calgary :)

Rgeurts
February 13th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Hope and I will be there.

Thank you Kitona!! All support is very much appreciated :)

Luvmypitgirls
February 13th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I went, and the turn out was good! Of course I wish there were more but I was impressed with how many showed up.
The first half was amazing, ppl honking in support. However the last half, was not so great. More like a wilderness walk along a sometimes very treacherous path. But I'm glad I did the entire loop.
Kato, made friends with a big majestic sled dog named Louie, and Jersey made buds with a little Yorkie.
There were lots and lots and lots of dogs.
I made some quick signs for hubby and I and a lady took pics of them to post on the boycott OA site.
I got to meet a lovely lady with the Daisy Foundation at the end, and I put my name in to volunteer for them as well.
My legs hurt, but it was worth every second.
Hubby took camera but forgot it in the car, so he ran to get it at the end and managed to take a pic of me plopped on my butt on the snow and ice cuz I couldn't stand anymore when we finally arrived full circle.

doggy lover
February 13th, 2011, 08:20 PM
signed but don't know if it will help any, and its too late for those poor puppies:cry::pawprint::angel::pawprint:

Rgeurts
February 13th, 2011, 09:27 PM
signed but don't know if it will help any, and its too late for those poor puppies:cry::pawprint::angel::pawprint:

It is too late for those poor puppies, but it isn't too late for the ones that are left (200). And it certainly isn't too late to change the laws so if something like this happens again, they can be held accountable! Thank you for signing!

Rgeurts
February 13th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I went, and the turn out was good! Of course I wish there were more but I was impressed with how many showed up.
The first half was amazing, ppl honking in support. However the last half, was not so great. More like a wilderness walk along a sometimes very treacherous path. But I'm glad I did the entire loop.
Kato, made friends with a big majestic sled dog named Louie, and Jersey made buds with a little Yorkie.
There were lots and lots and lots of dogs.
I made some quick signs for hubby and I and a lady took pics of them to post on the boycott OA site.
I got to meet a lovely lady with the Daisy Foundation at the end, and I put my name in to volunteer for them as well.
My legs hurt, but it was worth every second.
Hubby took camera but forgot it in the car, so he ran to get it at the end and managed to take a pic of me plopped on my butt on the snow and ice cuz I couldn't stand anymore when we finally arrived full circle.

That's awesome!!! There was a great turnout in Innisfail too, for as small as it is. I expected maybe 10, but there was close to 50! Beautiful dogs, alot of Huskies and Mals, and many other breeds large and small! I took some pics and will submit them to BOA. I'll be heading to the one in Red Deer next Saturday. We met some wonderful people :)

Post your pics :D
I'll post mine as soon as I get a chance!

14+kitties
February 13th, 2011, 09:55 PM
L4H there are laws that state it is a criminal offense if you willfully inflict pain or harm on a pet that is under your care and control.

If in fact those are the words in what the laws state those very words may get him off. These were not pets. They were business assets. That's it, that's all. Business assets so therefore disposable. :wall:

The whole thing sickens me. What is wrong with our world that we value life so little? :(

Rgeurts
February 13th, 2011, 10:08 PM
If in fact those are the words in what the laws state those very words may get him off. These were not pets. They were business assets. That's it, that's all. Business assets so therefore disposable. :wall:

The whole thing sickens me. What is wrong with our world that we value life so little? :(

I believe the actual law states "Animal". What will get him off the charges is a loophole. The law states "willfully causes or allows", but you can't prove willful intent :shrug:
That's what people are trying to change, the wording. A bill did pass that allows for stiffer penalties, but it doesn't do any good to have stiffer penalties for a crime you can't convict due to loopholes :mad: :yell:

I read something today that was SO true regarding the stiffer penalty law:

It's like doing a brake job on a car who's engine won't start.... pointless.

Rgeurts
February 16th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Chris was kind enough to share this link with me. I :pray: it will shed a little more light on what really happened and possibly allow for criminal charges to be made. YAY for the courts!! This alone is progress, even if it is due to public pressure!! http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110214/bc_dog_slaughter_documents_110214/20110214?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

‎Outside the court, SPCA lawyer Chris Rhone told CTV News that he was happy with the decision.

"The court found that the investigation into the potential criminal acts outweighs the interest of the worker to be protected," he said. "I'm pleased with it."

:thumbs up :thumbs up

YES! Scumbag :loser:'s like that shouldn't have rights to begin with IMO

Luvmypitgirls
February 16th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Chris was kind enough to share this link with me. I :pray: it will shed a little more light on what really happened and possibly allow for criminal charges to be made. YAY for the courts!! This alone is progress, even if it is due to public pressure!! http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110214/bc_dog_slaughter_documents_110214/20110214?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

‎Outside the court, SPCA lawyer Chris Rhone told CTV News that he was happy with the decision.

"The court found that the investigation into the potential criminal acts outweighs the interest of the worker to be protected," he said. "I'm pleased with it."

:thumbs up :thumbs up

YES! Scumbag :loser:'s like that shouldn't have rights to begin with IMO

Amen rgeurts! With that decision will he lose his WCB payments?

Rgeurts
February 16th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Amen rgeurts! With that decision will he lose his WCB payments?

That's what I'm hoping for!!! I still don't see how he got them to begin with. Work related PTSD should NOT be paid if YOU are the one who created the stress :shrug:

It just blows my mind! So technically, I could do something completely stupid, and even possible criminal, go to the doctor and say I can't sleep, eat etc... that I stressed myself out so bad I can't function and then I can sit at home, on my ass and collect EI. WAIT :lightbulb:... that's not a bad idea!!! :D :D

Rgeurts
February 16th, 2011, 10:00 PM
AND... for the first time (at least that I have ever heard of), animals rights are taking precedence over human rights!! What is the world coming to? :thumbs up

It's gotta be the peer pressure, at least in part :D

mastifflover
February 17th, 2011, 11:33 AM
AND... for the first time (at least that I have ever heard of), animals rights are taking precedence over human rights!! What is the world coming to? :thumbs up
It's gotta be the peer pressure, at least in part :D

Shocking I love it. And make the scum give back the money he has already gotten.

Love4himies
February 17th, 2011, 11:49 AM
This is confusing:

From the CBC link:

The WorkSafe BC decision granting compensation to the worker was leaked to a Vancouver radio station, prompting an investigation into allegations that former Howling Dog Tours owner Robert Fawcett brutally killed the dogs before dumping their bodies into a mass grave on April 21 and 23, 2010.

Was it the owner or the manager who killed the dogs? It says above, that it was the owner that killed the dogs, but as owner of a business, can you get workers comp???? Above in the article it states it was the Manager that filed the claim.

Rgeurts
February 17th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Shocking I love it. And make the scum give back the money he has already gotten.

I think he should have to donate the money he's already received to the BC SPCA :thumbs up

Rgeurts
February 17th, 2011, 12:24 PM
This is confusing:

From the CBC link:

The WorkSafe BC decision granting compensation to the worker was leaked to a Vancouver radio station, prompting an investigation into allegations that former Howling Dog Tours owner Robert Fawcett brutally killed the dogs before dumping their bodies into a mass grave on April 21 and 23, 2010.

Was it the owner or the manager who killed the dogs? It says above, that it was the owner that killed the dogs, but as owner of a business, can you get workers comp???? Above in the article it states it was the Manager that filed the claim.

In the documents I read it stated that he (Fawcett) was a shareholder. He owned 20% of the business and lived/worked on-site as the manager. OAW owned the other 80%. Joey Hussein (owner of OAW) tried to say he, himself, didn't own the company until the month following this event. He may not have owned it outright, but he had controlling interest. A month after the slaughter he bought out Fawcetts 20% making him the sole owner and Fawcett stayed on as manager. The whole thing just seems odd to me. And so many discrepancies in the both of their stories. It's going to be very interesting to see how this all turns out. I'm still hoping and :pray:'ing that there will be criminal charges and that Fawcett will have to pay back (or better yet, donate to the BC SPCA) all the money he has received as compensation.

Fawcett had tried to play the "injured" soul, the employee who just did what his boss told him to do, when, in fact, he owned 1/5 of the company. He's a slimeball.

Love4himies
February 17th, 2011, 12:59 PM
In the documents I read it stated that he (Fawcett) was a shareholder. He owned 20% of the business and lived/worked on-site as the manager. OAW owned the other 80%. Joey Hussein (owner of OAW) tried to say he, himself, didn't own the company until the month following this event. He may not have owned it outright, but he had controlling interest. A month after the slaughter he bought out Fawcetts 20% making him the sole owner and Fawcett stayed on as manager. The whole thing just seems odd to me. And so many discrepancies in the both of their stories. It's going to be very interesting to see how this all turns out. I'm still hoping and :pray:'ing that there will be criminal charges and that Fawcett will have to pay back (or better yet, donate to the BC SPCA) all the money he has received as compensation.

Fawcett had tried to play the "injured" soul, the employee who just did what his boss told him to do, when, in fact, he owned 1/5 of the company. He's a slimeball.

Thanks for the clarification. I don't trust newspapers, they print half truths and don't seem to do good investigative reporting, or they do, but they just don't report all the facts :frustrated:

mastifflover
February 17th, 2011, 04:55 PM
I think he should have to donate the money he's already received to the BC SPCA :thumbs up

Much better idea

Rgeurts
February 17th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I don't trust newspapers, they print half truths and don't seem to do good investigative reporting, or they do, but they just don't report all the facts :frustrated:

LoL, I'm with ya there. The documents I read were the actual WCB documents which included statements from Fawcetts lawyer.

Rgeurts
February 17th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I find this disturbing though:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/topic.php?uid=180065432029885&topic=549

For those who don't use FB:

PR firm for Joey Houssian

Sunil Sanghani
The PR firm for JH is Hoggan & Associates, based in Vancouver. James Hoggan, the owner, is also a Trustee at the Dalai Lama Center for Education & Peace, in Vancouver. In addition, James Hoggan is also the Chair of the David Suzuki foundation. James Hoggan was also the key PR individual for Intrawest Corporation, which was owned by Joe Houssian (JH's dad). I have called the head of the Dalai Lama center to express my disgust that they would have James Hoggan as a Trustee while he is busy making a buck by representing dog killers. I am still waiting to hear back from the Chair and it would be helpful if you guys write to the Dalai Lama Center and the David Suzuki foundation. Unless, we expose the supporters of the butcher of Whistler 100, business will continue as usual.

A response by one of the group members:

Julia Trops
A Dalai Lama quote:
Killing animals for sport, for pleasure, for adventure, and for hides and furs is a phenomena which is at once disgusting and distressing. There is no justification in indulging is such acts of brutality.
- The Dalai Lama

Somehow I don't think that "I can't afford them" would be acceptable either.

I would love to hear him come out and take a stand on this issue. Likely he will not until the investigation is complete

I just don't understand why the Dalai Lama organization would allow themselves to be affiliated, in any way, with this kind of brutality and disregard for life :shrug: