Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vlad's vet visit

ancientgirl
February 8th, 2011, 09:01 AM
It seems each time I take him to the vet he gets worse and worse.

This time around I gave him a full 5mg valium, and they still had to gas him a little just to be able to examine him. It also is taking him longer to get back to himself, meaning he was just super cranky until late into the evening when I bought him home.

But that's not what I posted about. It was time for his yearly wellness exam, so they took blood to do the usual tests. The vet did a fecal and a general exam and he said everything looked great. I am supposed to get the results of the wellness either this evening or tomorrow evening.

My concern is his weight. Vlad has been a steady 18 pounds for about 2 years now, and yesterday he weighed in at 16 pounds. The vet did tell me that's a normal weight for a cat his size, and the 18 was just slightly above ideal.

That's all fine and all, but now I'm concerned because he's lost weight. I really despise that I'm such a worry wart. I'm picturing all sorts of terrible things that he could have to have made him lose those lousy 2 pounds.

I've been going around and around in my head thinking that maybe it's because I've been measuring their food more lately, just to keep it all equal and make sure they all get the same amount. Even though it doesn't matter since once one finishes eating the next one goes and eats the rest on the plate.

Vlad has a healthy appetite, but he does tend to be finicky. He loves treats and would live on them, but what cat wouldn't? He's a bit constipated but the doctor said I can give him some Miralax (http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=&skuId=437961&productId=437961&navAction=jump&navCount=3) daily, which is what he gives his cats, and it should keep him regular.

I'm wondering if maybe the scale was off, because honestly, I thought he might actually have been weighing more. I really need to get myself a baby scale.

Now I'm going to be obsessing over this until I hear back about the results!

Winston
February 8th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Ag dont worry hon! I think the test will show your boy is fine. It really does make a difference when you make a consistant effort to measuring their food! My mom had to do that with Brady and he did loose a few pounds just by being consistant.

I feel your pain but in the opposite direction. Tabitha hardly eats. If you know what an expresso spoon is that is how much she eats per day..yep thats it.! that is less than a teaspoon per day!!! She is only 6 pounds and has been all her life it never changed in 15 yrs! it drives me bonkers because I want her to eat more and she never does! and its hard to hide meds in stuff when they only eat thatmuch!

Vlad is generally healthy and I think it will all work out!

Maybe he has been chasing the girls around the apartment while your gone giving him more exercise!

Keep us posted okay! How are the rest of the gang doing? Speaking of the gang I havent seen any pics of them since Christmas!! your slacking! :D

ancientgirl
February 8th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Ag dont worry hon! I think the test will show your boy is fine. It really does make a difference when you make a consistant effort to measuring their food! My mom had to do that with Brady and he did loose a few pounds just by being consistant.

I feel your pain but in the opposite direction. Tabitha hardly eats. If you know what an expresso spoon is that is how much she eats per day..yep thats it.! that is less than a teaspoon per day!!! She is only 6 pounds and has been all her life it never changed in 15 yrs! it drives me bonkers because I want her to eat more and she never does! and its hard to hide meds in stuff when they only eat thatmuch!

Vlad is generally healthy and I think it will all work out!

Maybe he has been chasing the girls around the apartment while your gone giving him more exercise!

Keep us posted okay! How are the rest of the gang doing? Speaking of the gang I havent seen any pics of them since Christmas!! your slacking! :D

Thanks, Winston. I feel a little better. I have been making a better effort at measuring out their food. They get food 4 times a day, so that's one of the reasons I needed to measure out. Maybe you're right and that's helped.

I feel for you on Tabitha. I think I'd constantly be worried too if they ate that little. Who am I kidding, I worry about everything when it comes to them. :rolleyes:

I do have some photo's I've taken. I just need to upload them. I'm going to put my camera in my bag so i can post some photos tomorrow.

Thanks again. :grouphug:

14+kitties
February 8th, 2011, 08:18 PM
The last Wellness was last year at this time, right? So it would be entirely possible for Vlad to have lost the 2 pounds naturally. It is also possible that the scale was off. They have those neat digital bathroom scales now that can read very low weights. I won one last year with the Heart and Stroke lottery. I have been keeping track of my guys weight as much as possible with it. It will weigh as low as 12 pounds I think and is very accurate. Maybe you could find one of them. :shrug: The one I have is like the one featured on this site. Not exactly like but pretty close. Maybe it would work for getting your kitties' weights. Just a thought.
http://www.dinodirect.com/digital-scale-tempered-glass-electronic-body-fat/AFFID-67.html?cur=CAD

ancientgirl
February 9th, 2011, 07:56 AM
The last Wellness was last year at this time, right? So it would be entirely possible for Vlad to have lost the 2 pounds naturally. It is also possible that the scale was off. They have those neat digital bathroom scales now that can read very low weights. I won one last year with the Heart and Stroke lottery. I have been keeping track of my guys weight as much as possible with it. It will weigh as low as 12 pounds I think and is very accurate. Maybe you could find one of them. :shrug: The one I have is like the one featured on this site. Not exactly like but pretty close. Maybe it would work for getting your kitties' weights. Just a thought.
http://www.dinodirect.com/digital-scale-tempered-glass-electronic-body-fat/AFFID-67.html?cur=CAD

14+, yes he gets his wellness around this time every year. It's true, he could very well have just lost a couple of pounds. I've always been worried he weighed a little too much at 18 pounds, and now that he's a few pounds lower I'm still worried.:o:o

I also thought maybe their scale might have been off too, you never know. They do have to weigh a lot of animals over there.

That scale looks like it would certainly work for me. My current scale is one of those really old one with the number wheel. I'm going to see about getting one of these so I can monitor their weight better.

ancientgirl
February 9th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Well, my guy aced his tests. All results are within the normal levels and his heartworm tests also came back negative.

So no more worries for mommy. :D And he seems to be pooping fine, because he he did some major number 2.

rainbow
February 9th, 2011, 06:33 PM
YAY for Vlad :highfive: .......now you can relax. :thumbs up

ancientgirl
February 9th, 2011, 06:38 PM
YAY for Vlad :highfive: .......now you can relax. :thumbs up

I can! Until Friday. Oksana goes in for her Wellness.

chico2
February 10th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Aww AG,you are a real little worry-wart,but I am glad Vlad is ok,as I am sure Oksana will be:cat:

I wish Vinnie would lose some weight,but I am working on it...

ancientgirl
February 10th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Chico, I think the measuring is what's done it for me and maybe the feeding schedule. I still give them treats too. Maybe it's just that I've got more kitties to fight over food.:D